PDA

View Full Version : What bull elk are doing right now?

NINJABABY
10-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Since the rut it over(I think) what should be the best strategies to get a bull elk these days. I have a 4 day weekend coming and I would like to see a bull elk.

Thanks

Jamie Black R/T
10-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Far from over bud.

They will be cowed up good but often still vocal and there will be satellite bulls receptive to calling.

Ive called in bulls the 3rd week of october and heard bugling right through november in the past.

bucksman
10-05-2017, 12:51 PM
lots of screaming this morning

NINJABABY
10-05-2017, 12:54 PM
lots of screaming this morning

where where where :angry3::angry3:

elkhunter1234
10-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Yes the rut is far from over, the first cycle of cows I'm sure are bred by now but the 2nd cycle will be just starting to come into heat again.. lay off the bugle a bit and work the cow call more at this time of year. Big bulls are always looking for fresh meat..

Jim..

Mountain Guy
10-05-2017, 07:23 PM
second go round on now... bulls are in hot pursuit for sweet smelling cows as we speak

slickwilly
10-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Called mine in on Saturday with cow calls. Was quieter in general last weekend than the weekends before, but I thought the ones that were talking were way more willing to play ball.

Salavee
10-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Yes the rut is far from over, the first cycle of cows I'm sure are bred by now but the 2nd cycle will be just starting to come into heat again.. lay off the bugle a bit and work the cow call more at this time of year. Big bulls are always looking for fresh meat..

Jim..

True . Bugling may get you a response but chances are the bull won't be moving in your direction and could be moving away, along with any cows that may be with him. Arguing and fighting are not high on their agenda at this point. Conserving energy and tending the 2nd estrus cows is.
If you do locate a Bull by bugling, try moving in on him as fast as possible using only occasional Cow talk.

Yaha Tinda
10-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Bugling and looking for receptive cows.