PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance - Do You Subscribe?

Bergerboy
10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Was just reading this
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/10/05/las-vegas-attack-leaves-costly-wake-for-uninsured-canadian-victims

Las Vegas attack leaves costly wake for uninsured Canadian victims
Like many who make a short trip to the United States, his 21-year-old son Sheldon didn’t buy travel health insurance before crossing the border, and is now facing the potential of a staggering medical bill after the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history left him with gunshot wounds that required major surgery.

I almost fell over when I read that someone travelled out of the country and didn't get travel insurance. I always did even as a young person and I don't anymore because I am completely covered with my Visa.

Do others you know of travel out of country without getting coverage?

Okotokian
10-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Compleetely covered by your Visa???? Do you think Visa is going to pick up a $400,000 hospital bill?? How does that work?

Anyone who leaves Canada without healthcare coverage is asking to be bankrupted. Now most people have travel medical insurance under their employers plan, but you need to check.

Bergerboy
10-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Compleetely covered by your Visa???? Do you think Visa is going to pick up a $400,000 hospital bill?? How does that work?

Anyone who leaves Canada without healthcare coverage is asking to be bankrupted. Now most people have travel medical insurance under their employers plan, but you need to check.

You and I likely don't carry the same class of Visa.

So I just went and talked to one of the guys at work that travels frequently and I asked him if he carries travel insurance. His response was that he did not as he was too cheap. This guy makes well into 6 figures a year. I would think a cheap guy would get the insurance and not risk the big loss due to injury.

Geraldsh
10-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Mastercard also has travel insurance.
I use a Blue Cross plan that covers me for 30 days out of province no matter when or where I go.

Okotokian
10-05-2017, 03:27 PM
You and I likely don't carry the same class of Visa.

Perhaps not. Tell me more. I use RBC Infinite Avion for the flyer points. What type of VISA do you have that gives you automatic travel medical? I'm interested.

EDIT: HA! Just checked and it seem my VISA DOES provide emergency medical coverage out of country. Only for 15 days, but still..... I had no idea. LOL Thanks for thee heads up.

Bergerboy
10-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Perhaps not. Tell me more. I use RBC Infinite Avion for the flyer points. What type of VISA do you have that gives you automatic travel medical? I'm interested.

EDIT: HA! Just checked and it seem my VISA DOES provide emergency medical coverage out of country. Only for 15 days, but still..... I had no idea. LOL Thanks for thee heads up.

Mine does 30 days and covers 100% car rental insurance as well. I would bet the Avion has some rental coverage as well.

fish_e_o
10-05-2017, 03:58 PM
i'm covered by my work benefit plan

Headdamage
10-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Drove down to see the eclipse in Aug and bought AMA travel insurance for myself and the wife before heading down.

Slvdout
10-05-2017, 04:06 PM
I have excellent coverage with both my visa and benefit plan.

Donkey Oatey
10-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Always get it. Saved my bacon down on vacation couple years ago.

Went down, hit my head, ktfo. Would have had another concussion trying to pay the $9000 USD hospital bill.

Best $82 bucks I ever spent on the family.

tbiddy
10-05-2017, 04:29 PM
We get whenever we travel. The wife does it and it's cheap. I think under $100 for both of us for a month. My mom ended up having a seizure in Vegas on the strip. They sent her the bill and everybody who helped out got compensated. The security guards at the hotel to the bike police that stopped. Her work insurance picked up the bill but it was $32,000 for a 1 night in the hospital.

Twisted Canuck
10-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Several of my CC's offer travel insurance as part of the benefits (these come with some yearly fees, but great benefits for collecting miles etc). Even with that I still have a yearly plan I subscribe to through my American Express, it seems to offer the most benefits at a fair rate. It doesn't cover family members other than spouse when travelling, as my kids are all adults, so if they come along I just get a quick policy to cover trip through RBC. Bottom line is I would NEVER travel anywhere without coverage. For what it costs to buy, compared to what it could cost if you don't have it....no brainer.

Father of five
10-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Don't forget your Alberta health care coverage is only good in Alberta it no longer covers you in other provinces and many group work plans are not for out of province only out of country
So make sure you have travel medical insurance when you go anywhere outside of Alberta

FishHunterPro
10-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Work offers 60 days out of province/country emergency medical for 0.32cents a pay

jednastka
10-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Compleetely covered by your Visa????

Yes, but the fine print says the trip, air fare plus hotel needs to be paid by the VISA. If only part of the trip is paid, the travel insurance is needed.

357Maximum
10-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Don't forget your Alberta health care coverage is only good in Alberta it no longer covers you in other provinces and many group work plans are not for out of province only out of country
So make sure you have travel medical insurance when you go anywhere outside of Alberta

That's not True Alberta Health covers you within Canada.

From their website

he Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) provides coverage for insured physician and hospital services in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada. In most cases, if you present your valid Alberta health card to an out of province medical or hospital service provider and receive insured services, there is no cost to you.

The AHCIP does not cover food, lodging, transportation, or other costs related to obtaining health services outside Alberta.

Puma
10-05-2017, 05:31 PM

From their website

he Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) provides coverage for insured physician and hospital services in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada. In most cases, if you present your valid Alberta health card to an out of province medical or hospital service provider and receive insured services, there is no cost to you.

The AHCIP does not cover food, lodging, transportation, or other costs related to obtaining health services outside Alberta.

I heard Quebec was a different kettle of fish. They bill you, and you go to AHCIP for reimbursement.

Father of five
10-05-2017, 07:21 PM

From their website

Get injured in BC and see how good Alberta health care covers you
Long and short they don't

KGB
10-05-2017, 07:36 PM
In the case of travel insurance it is better to be over insured than under insured. The premium for a two week vacation out of country for a family is no more than $60.!

sns2
10-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Covered through work for a long time. I would never leave without insurance. From the time I was a teen I never left without insurance.

Jack Hardin
10-05-2017, 08:08 PM
There was a farm family from the Bowden area that had to sell a 1/4 section to pay U.S. medical expenses because they didn't take out out of country medical insurance.Without it, you are gambling your health against a huge medical bill. Not worth it.

Zip-in-Z
10-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Upon retirement which ended my Employer Insurance, I ended up purchasing additional travel coverage from Johnson MEDOC Insurance, 11120-178 st Edmonton.

I'm just over 60 with no health issues, my 2017/18 supplemental insurance is $23.42 for 12 monthly deductions which covers me for any out-of-province medical emergency (in Canada or outside Canada) for any trip in or out of Canada, that does not exceed 105 days. The plan says eligible expenses are up to $5M.

When we go to California for 3 month's, I have no worries.

D.