PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca?

fallen1817
10-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Hey All,

I'm potentially moving to Athabasca (From Onoway Area) in the near future...

So, what should I know about the town? I'm married with a little one (almost three yrs old), and all I really know about the town is that my dad pulled a 12lb walleye out of the river a few years back... I'll see if I can track down the picture to get some attention ;) Please let me know the good, bad, ugly, and any hidden gems that are worth knowing about.

I'm still working on tracking down a county map so I know just how much crown land is open up there for next fall.

Thanks for any input, good or bad.

Jeff

CMichaud
10-05-2017, 05:51 PM
This should get you started!

I always like going to Athabasca.

http://www.athabascacounty.com/services/planning-development-services/county-map/

Gifted Intuitive
10-05-2017, 08:40 PM
The have a great trap club.

Two large tournaments each year.

Sooner
10-05-2017, 09:40 PM
My sister lived there. Nice town. Lots of hunting and fishing close by in all directions from farm land to crown. They liked living there.

fitzy
10-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Really great sports shop. I forget the place. Mom and pop hunting and fishing place.

Great hockey facility at the college.

We were there for privicials last spring. Great place. Great people.

Talking moose
10-05-2017, 10:20 PM
It's perfect. Would love to relocate there. From trout ponds to rivers to lakes, from farm land to deep bush to a nice mixture of both.
Small but not too small living at its finest.

catnthehat
10-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Really great sports shop. I forget the place. Mom and pop hunting and fishing place.

Great hockey facility at the college.

We were there for privicials last spring. Great place. Great people.

Cheap Seats is the place
Good small engine shops too fir chainsaws etc:)
Oh, and a Tim Hirton's and Boston Pizza as well, not that Ssl's famous burgers is no good!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Great farmer's market and a super boat launch in the river
Cay

fallen1817
10-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the info! I know it's a long way off (if I do move), but I'm already dreaming of a boat for the river...

Bighorn River
10-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the info! I know it's a long way off (if I do move), but I'm already dreaming of a boat for the river...

Yes, get on the river. Great country.

Good schools. Muskeg Creek valley trails with lighted ski loop pretty impressive for a small town.

Nice acreage country in Tawatinaw Valley south of town.

fallen1817
10-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Update: I just got the offer of employment, and the wheels have now been set in motion to move.

Anyone have a room they want to rent a few nights a week up near Athabasca? or a trailer/wall tent? ;)

Jeff

Iron-Byron
10-06-2017, 05:07 PM
I live in athabasca. Have my whole life. I love it. Send me a PM if you have any questions or anything.

ESOXangler
10-06-2017, 09:27 PM
I love that area!

Curiosity what kind of work has you moving up there? Always wanted to!

Kurt505
10-06-2017, 09:55 PM
I'd move there in a heart beat if I had the opportunity.