PDA

View Full Version : Tannnerite

260 Rem
10-06-2017, 08:14 AM
After seeing the explosive power of tannerite/type blowing up cars, I suspect the availability in Canada may get restricted pretty soon.

dmcbride
10-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Are you advocating for restrictions or just stirring the pot?

bsmitty27
10-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Personally Im OK if restrictions get tighter. I see no benefit to the hunting and shooting community. And it could sure give groups a golden ticket to restrict hunting and shooting activities in specific areas.
Brad

TBark
10-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Ban it.
Oh I forgot, it’s fun.

Dick284
10-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Sadly, I'm sure the end to the fun and games will soon be upon us.

You can't have firecrackers in Kanada, but you can have Tannerite? Whodathunkit

Do I want to see further restrictions to fun stuff, HELL NO.

The reality is all the dumb clucks and social media will ruin it for the rest of us, who enjoy a good loud bang, once in a while like on Dec 31st.

darren32
10-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Guess I will have to go back to using a chain saw ......

https://youtu.be/lT_cwcUrhBc

CranePete
10-06-2017, 09:51 AM
The company I work for happens to manufacture and supply explosives for the mining industry here in Western Canada. At a recent brainstorming session on ways to become more productive and profitable, I suggested that perhaps someone should explore “consumer grade” explosives. I was told that the company had briefly looked at that, but discarded the idea for two reasons. Firstly, they went to the interweb and saw what everyone sees...mostly foolish people doing foolish things. This raised red flags about possible liability issues. Secondly, they were of the opinion that ERD would be changing the rules so as to ban the sale of tannerite. Another case of the few tarnishing many..
CranePete

Albertadiver
10-06-2017, 09:54 AM
What stockpile on my property??

EZM
10-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Guess I will have to go back to using a chain saw ......

https://youtu.be/lT_cwcUrhBc

Great video - unfortunately he made the leaning tree, which was a hazard, into a bigger problem as the tree is now dangling ..... lol.

I hate it when that happens .... lol

EZM
10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
It was amazing to see the media talk about tannerite like it was C4.

Sure, it's a volatile, and is explosive, but all in all, it's safe when used as directed, very stable when stored, and far less explosive than other things you can buy at your local hardware store or gas station.

Heck, we used this for our Hunter Ed camp teaching teens at the range.

darren32
10-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Great video - unfortunately he made the leaning tree, which was a hazard, into a bigger problem as the tree is now dangling ..... lol.

I hate it when that happens .... lol

Exactly LOL.
Thankfully the wind took the dangler down a couple week later :)

Prophet River
10-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Looks like the Vegas shooter had 50 lbs of tannerite in his car.

Pathfinder76
10-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Pandering to the lowest common denominator is what we do.

Unregistered user
10-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Ban it all they want, the stuff is so easy to make. YouTube it.

SoaringEagle
10-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I hope that I get several more chances to practice my shot with Tannerite.

sikwhiskey
10-08-2017, 03:14 PM
It should be mandatory to have tannerite on drones, that way when you shoot them down they explode just like in the movies.......:sHa_shakeshout:

On a more serious note, I'm surprised we are still able to buy it. My only experience with tannerite was using it for beaver dam "removal", worked quite well........

.257Weatherby
10-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Are you advocating for restrictions or just stirring the pot?

Careful, someone might accuse you of reading comprehension skills....
But, I fully concur with your comment as well.
Tannerite has been around for a few years and folks having been abusing it for as long as it has been around.
Allegedly the guy in LV had 50 pounds of it in his car and it only adds to the speculation of what it was intended for.
Rob

cgypal
10-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Personally Im OK if restrictions get tighter. I see no benefit to the hunting and shooting community. And it could sure give groups a golden ticket to restrict hunting and shooting activities in specific areas.
Brad

Nice to know who the fudd is in this group.

Smokinyotes
10-08-2017, 10:48 PM
I have never used tannerite. Just wondering what happens to all the packaging when you shoot it.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 07:32 AM
I have never used tannerite. Just wondering what happens to all the packaging when you shoot it.

Babooooom, like any other time at the range or out having fun on private property clean up after yourself.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Careful, someone might accuse you of reading comprehension skills....
But, I fully concur with your comment as well.
Tannerite has been around for a few years and folks having been abusing it for as long as it has been around.
Allegedly the guy in LV had 50 pounds of it in his car and it only adds to the speculation of what it was intended for.
Rob

People have been abusing everything they can get there hands onto for thousands of years...

Jayhad
10-09-2017, 09:42 AM
All I can say about Tannerite is that I'm super bummed out I'd didn't get a 6lb kit when Cabelas had it for 34.99 last week and if it is banned, it's going to be hard to not shoot the stuff I have for 8 years until my boy can do it himself.

Smokinyotes
10-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Babooooom, like any other time at the range or out having fun on private property clean up after yourself.

Exactly my point. It probably should be banned because there are too many idiots that don't know how to cleanup after themselves. Private property is not the problem, its Public land where they leave a mess.

Jigger
10-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Exactly my point. It probably should be banned because there are too many idiots that don't know how to cleanup after themselves. Private property is not the problem, its Public land where they leave a mess.

you wanna ban something because people dont clean up after themselves? where does the line get drawn lol. the ban wagon, thanks for the laugh

58thecat
10-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Banning is not the answer, harsh, in your face fines plus community time to clean ditches etc and public humiliation,

Ranets
10-09-2017, 12:11 PM
The most intelligent post to this point !

aulrich
10-09-2017, 01:12 PM
So how do you ban ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000victory
10-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Canadian version is called Thundershot...available at WSS
They have both centerfire and rimfire just recently became available
Works best and is much more fun when divided into smaller amounts
I use the plastic containers that 22 and 17 hmr comes is...smaller amounts and much safer but still fun...reactive targets !!!
Got a problem beaver dam...gone...no PAL required but still take your personal info...nbd.

Nester
10-09-2017, 02:14 PM
It's awesome!!

Wish they would lower the prices though......gets pretty expensive quick :)

Makes plinking so much more enjoyable and instant feedback! it's so good it gives me flashbacks! :snapoutofit:

https://i.imgur.com/uJfwO.gif

Smokinyotes
10-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Banning is not the answer, harsh, in your face fines plus community time to clean ditches etc and public humiliation,

I realize banning is not the answer but who is going to issue these fines? You cant have a cop down every dead end back road that leads to crown land. I see all sorts of garbage used for targets that people leave behind on crown land. You cant tell me that people are picking up the pieces from tannerite containers when they are in a 1000 pieces.

sjemac
10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
It's very easy to make your own.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 05:31 PM
I realize banning is not the answer but who is going to issue these fines? You cant have a cop down every dead end back road that leads to crown land. I see all sorts of garbage used for targets that people leave behind on crown land. You cant tell me that people are picking up the pieces from tannerite containers when they are in a 1000 pieces.

If and when they are caught then the fines etc kick in, cops can't even keep the hammerheads from driving with thier phones in thier hands but when they do get caught should be like a mentioned harsh fines etc.

Was at a outing with the ATV's. MD cops show up and check us out then proceeds to another trail in which there was a bunch sitting around, we watched and after 1/2 HR or so the cop left, we drove over and basically all the crap on the ground was being picked up, fella said he took down all thier credentials, will give them time to clean the area, some of the crap was there for years and then he would not write fines, the good ol'boys were cleaning literally everything up.
Now that's policing!

SoaringEagle
10-09-2017, 05:51 PM

So the many that are responsible get punished again because there are inconsiderate idiots out there.

KinAlberta
10-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Don’t can the stuff, just properly regulate it.

Just make people show identification, maybe leave a fingerprint, and the old W5(who, what, when where, why) of its use. (All of which goes online to the RCMP.) You only get it after a check.

They catch you somewhere else with it, or doing something else with it , selling it, letting someone else use it - you get a massive fine and/or jail time.

Simple, efficient.

Unregistered user
10-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Leave it be. Crikey!

58thecat
10-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Leave it be. Crikey!

Yup, stuff is fun.