PDA

View Full Version : This years Stettler Pheasant Festival

densa44
10-06-2017, 08:52 AM
All systems are go. The 4 fellows that I'm guiding for are calling me and sound very excited. We have them on a 1/2 section of land nearby that I'm checking out this am.

They have bought extra birds so it could be a great hunt. I'm looking forward to it. It is a big plus to have a local supplier for our birds, we don't need a barn to house them when they used to arrive by truck, this fellow live in Stettler county.

As I guessed I'm double booked for the beginner hunt. No worries WF and 2 of the dogs will handle the am and I and the other 2 dogs will do the pm.

The dogs are up to it, we'll see if I am.

If you are coming please say hello, I need all the friends I can get.(We'll be at the banquet)

densa44
10-06-2017, 01:32 PM
The section across the street from the one I will be hunting on next Friday has about 5K snows and specs on it right now. If you are coming and have the right licences and shot why not have a crack at them. The white ones especially.

wwbirds
10-06-2017, 02:32 PM
But we are too far away to scout it in advance so will wait to find out where it is to see it Friday around noon. Also have extra birds ordered.
Rob

densa44
10-06-2017, 06:42 PM
They are on twp rd. 400 on the north side about 3 miles east of the Red Willow road. Any goose hunter worth his salt should be able to find it with those directions.

Enjoy.

CMichaud
10-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Hopefully they will be hanging around when we get down on Friday.

Thanks for the tip!

Girlsfishtoo
10-07-2017, 05:51 PM
They are on twp rd. 400 on the north side about 3 miles east of the Red Willow road. Any goose hunter worth his salt should be able to find it with those directions.

Enjoy.

I don't know why this is the new thing for people to share and get more
People down to this area to shoot geese, maybe it's the Internet hero thing I'm
Not sure, but there's enough people down here to shoot geese and for the ones that haven't made it so be it, it's tough enough to get permission,
I mean lets share the local walleye hole with a pin point while we're at it

elkhunter11
10-07-2017, 07:21 PM
I don't know why this is the new thing for people to share and get more
People down to this area to shoot geese, maybe it's the Internet hero thing I'm
Not sure, but there's enough people down here to shoot geese and for the ones that haven't made it so be it, it's tough enough to get permission,
I mean lets share the local walleye hole with a pin point while we're at it
If you are having a problem getting permission, perhaps it is your attitude .:)

Girlsfishtoo
10-07-2017, 07:40 PM
No it's cause all you people telling them to come running to Stettler to shoot geese, how about letting people find out for themselves,

elkhunter11
10-07-2017, 07:52 PM
No it's cause all you people telling them to come running to Stettler to shoot geese, how about letting people find out for themselves,

I never told anyone to go to Stettler to shoot geese. That being said, I am not having any problems getting permission to hunt geese..

densa44
10-07-2017, 08:50 PM
We have 1 million acres in Stettler county a rapidly aging population and the Hutterites who make up a large portion of our farmers don't hunt. I don't know why you would want to discourage visitors.

I don't know why you are having trouble getting permission, I've never had any trouble.

I'll reiterate, in spite of what our friend says there are lots of geese and if there aren't more hunters, they sit down and if no one gets them moving they they will stay and no one will see them.

Have you ever joined forces with these other hunters that you meet when spotting? I have and some are still friends 40 years on. On a goose hunt more firepower is a big plus.

Girlsfishtoo
10-07-2017, 08:57 PM
We have 1 million acres in Stettler county a rapidly aging population and the Hutterites who make up a large portion of our farmers don't hunt. I don't know why you would want to discourage visitors.

I don't know why you are having trouble getting permission, I've never had any trouble.

I'll reiterate, in spite of what our friend says there are lots of geese and if there aren't more hunters, they sit down and if no one gets them moving they they will stay and no one will see them.

Have you ever joined forces with these other hunters that you meet when spotting? I have and some are still friends 40 years on. On a goose hunt more firepower is a big plus.

The thing is, let the visitors find out for themselves, between the guides that tie up 10000 acres and other hunters it's tough, and I mean really you might as well share where that perch hole is on your favourite lake for fear you might discourage visitors to that lake

densa44
10-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Look as soon as the rifle season starts I'll be announcing where the antlerless deer can be found. I do this for 2 reasons, one to encourage much needed tourism and so there are fewer deer for me to dodge with my truck all winter as they stand on the roads.

If you are having trouble finding birds, just follow them out from the roost, knock on the door and you are good to go tomorrow morning.

Good luck to everyone.

densa44
10-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Yesterday had strong NW winds rain snow and sleet. Birds were arriving all day. I have taken some pictures and except for the combined crops there is no sign of humans. I live NE of Stettler and there are large flocks just about everywhere. Lots of snows too.

When walking the dogs a number came over me in range but all of them would have been in range for elk!

Contrary to what my critics are saying; I haven't seen another hunter this season. The geese are flying over my house.

So on behalf of my local friends please come and enjoy yourselves.

sns2
10-09-2017, 01:38 PM
You are a credit to this forum and guys like you bring people into the hunting community. Keep it up and don't worry about the naysayers!

calvin
10-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Hey there Densa, is there a number or easier way I could chat with you in regards to giving us a hand in regards to try hunting some geese on sat am? My son and I are booked for sat pm and Sunday am hunts and wouldn't mind trying some geese as well. We would come down fri night instead of sat am if we could find a spot. I think there are quite a few ACA properties that would work as well. This will be our 3rd year down there at the pheasant fest. It's been fairly good to us and want to continue to support.

densa44
10-09-2017, 09:27 PM
The reason for that is they are cheap because they are hard to farm and have water on them. Just great for water fowl.

The week before the festival and during the festival I'm fully booked but don't let that hold you back. The county map (you'll get one with your package) shows all the DU properties, if you can't read the map very well the people in the office will help you.

There are geese, lots of geese roosting on Buffalo lake, you can try to follow them out if you like. They (geese and ducks) are roosting on lots of different water, some not all that big so there are lots of flocks. I don't think you will have any trouble.

Newellknik
10-10-2017, 06:50 AM
There are a few areas where local hunters are not
that enthused about the city folk invasion . Brooks,
Taber to name a couple ... I get it .
There is a weird obsession about snows now , they just
Have to be wiped out ...at any cost ....another Buffalo
coming .
The fallacy is that somehow the local economy is stimulated
by these events ,,,,,the slickers come , they shoot They leave
usually their garbage behind ...and may buy some gas !
Old story

catnthehat
10-10-2017, 08:04 AM
coming .
Old story

I was never in favour of this " stay out of my territory" attitude
Locals do NOT have any more rights than anyone else be it coming up into the northern WMU's to fish fir pike and Walleye or hunt moose or or the southern ones to hunt pheasants Sharptails, antelope or ducks and geese .
Just because a person lives in a certain area does not mean that it is "their area"
As far as garbage and poaching goes the locals in any area are as bad as non locals so don't troll that bait either .
A person can either help out a visitor or not , attitudes will be remembered on both sides .........
Cat

Girlsfishtoo
10-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I was never in favour of this " stay out of my territory" attitude
Locals do NOT have any more rights than anyone else be it coming up into the northern WMU's to fish fir pike and Walleye or hunt moose or or the southern ones to hunt pheasants Sharptails, antelope or ducks and geese .
Just because a person lives in a certain area does not mean that it is "their area"
As far as garbage and poaching goes the locals in any area are as bad as non locals so don't troll that bait either .
A person can either help out a visitor or not , attitudes will be remembered on both sides .........
Cat

We'll be sure to say where that big buck is hiding so everyone get a crack at him, since you probably don't own the land, and wanna welcome
Visitors down here, it could bring some tourism in the community to see a big buck and pictures and outdoor shows, and even if you do own the land be a sportsman,

FinnDawg
10-11-2017, 03:19 PM
We'll be sure to say where that big buck is hiding so everyone get a crack at him, since you probably don't own the land, and wanna welcome
Visitors down here, it could bring some tourism in the community to see a big buck and pictures and outdoor shows, and even if you do own the land be a sportsman,

I find it funny how hypocritical you are. Take a look at your own post history. :snapoutofit:

CMichaud
10-11-2017, 03:48 PM

I don't understand what you are on about. Seriously, I don't.

densa44
10-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Lets hope for good weather, the snow is almost gone and the mud too.

Welcome to all.

catnthehat
10-11-2017, 05:05 PM

"If I own the land be a sportsman"?!
I don't own land but I sure do offer my experience and my boat and help whenever it is asked for up here by locals or visitors - unless of course the person's attitude is like yours. Then my answer is no
Cat

Twobucks
10-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Thanks Densa (and Cat!) for being a welcoming voice. I'm hunting all day Friday with my 77 year old dad and my 3 year old lab. Great time last year - sure it will be excellent again this year!

Last year we spent about $100 on dog stuff, another $400ish in meals, accommodation and gas. It's not a fortune, but we do like to support local business before the big chains when we can. I hope others also look for ways to support the economy in Stettler and wherever they hunt, and of course respect the land.

Feels strange even writing some of that - should all go without saying.

sns2
10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks Densa (and Cat!) for being a welcoming voice. I'm hunting all day Friday with my 77 year old dad and my 3 year old lab. Great time last year - sure it will be excellent again this year!

Last year we spent about $100 on dog stuff, another $400ish in meals, accommodation and gas. It's not a fortune, but we do like to support local business before the big chains when we can. I hope others also look for ways to support the economy in Stettler and wherever they hunt, and of course respect the land.

Feels strange even writing some of that - should all go without saying.

I hope your Dad outshoots you every which way but loose! That is great that your father is able and you are willing to take him out like that. Obviously he did some things right. Have a great hunt.

Twobucks
10-11-2017, 10:02 PM
I hope your Dad outshoots you every which way but loose! That is great that your father is able and you are willing to take him out like that. Obviously he did some things right. Have a great hunt.

Thanks! He's a better shotgun shot than I'll ever be, but in between a bunch of great shots, he'll miss an easy one just to prove he's human.

Hope everyone has a great few days in the field. It ain't about the birds, but they help.

densa44
10-12-2017, 06:59 AM
The reason I have Pudelpointers is because I'm too old and beat up to chase a lab around after pheasants although I was happy to do that for many years. I now stroll behind a pointing dog.

When the older hunter can no longer hunt behind a flushing dog, I may be able to help you out.

sns2
10-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Hope things go great! Keep us posted.

reel lucky
10-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks D44...sure glad that the majority of Albertians have your attitude...we have been hunting southern Alberta for pheasants, ducks and geese for the last 35 years...made many friends...some have come out to the coast and we have taken them to our favorite salmon and haly spots.

wwbirds
10-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Nice 1/2 section south east of Botha, think it was site 19. Flushed 15 of the 16 birds we ordered and found #16 safely holed up in a pile of slash branches about 3 feet in so he wasn't coming out and the dogs couldn't get at him so we walked away leaving him for seed.
Condition of the birds was terrible with only 1 of the 15 flushed having a stub of 14 inch or so tail while others were completely without a tail. Not many were able to fly well and the dogs caught 2-3 about a foot off the ground trying rudderless flight. Others we had to call the dogs off as there was no safe shot without hitting a close in pursuing dog. Think we got a second chance at a few of those flushing or the dogs trapping them later in the day.
Since tails are usually not grown due to crowding it looks as it they need more room or more cover to develop. Some times permanent damage is done to the tail feather folicles when blood feathers are just developing as crowded birds will actually feed on the growing blood feathers.
Guess the other disturbing thing that didnt really affect our results because we had already searched the cover on both sides of the pea field was the outfitter or goose hunters that set up blinds and decoys in the north west corner of our 1/2 section around 3 PM. He stopped to talk to us on his way out saying he had forgotten all about the festival. More troubling at about 3 30 while taking a break and watering the dogs at the south gate was a silver mini van with 2 guys and a dog who drove onto the pea stubble and hunted one of our covers actually flushing a rooster and missing it 3 times.
You would think the festival would grant exclusive rights to a property until the end of the day. We headed back to Stettler at about 4:40 pm and these guys were still running their dog and hunting our property when we left. they came in from the north so I have no idea if they came from another release site near us and wandered on to "our" property or if they were just taking advantage of free birds.

CMichaud
10-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Strange one this year.

The 1/4 we drew had a lot of bush and quite a bit of cover and sloughs.

Birds were very hard to find and our dog was young and a bit rangey.

We left lots of "seed" for next year

Hit up the DU 1/2 section south of Botha but no geese seemed to be hanging out.

On the up shot, we saw at least 15 mulies and WT does on the way in/out.

Saw a cow/calf moose on the 1/4 we were birding at about 300yds.

On the way out also saw a nice young bull hanging near a cow and twin calves.

Canadasnowman
10-14-2017, 10:38 PM
coming .
Old story

Oh really, so our four or five night hotel stays, our numberous breakfast lunch and dinners, coffee shops ,trips to local bar, liquor store, convenience store, fuel, local repair shop for trailer fixing, driving to neighbouring towns to see relatives, never mind the two day drive back and forth supporting all of the above. We leave Zero hulls, Zero garbage, Zero impact on the area, except for harvesting some birds and supporting local economy. Ya were *****s.
Don't label all with the same brush.

oldgutpile
10-15-2017, 07:33 AM
coming .
Old story

Wrong in so many ways!!
Brooks has been a hunting get-away for many years. Many decades in fact.
Many of us look at the hunting season as a time to reconnect with freindships made over the years of hunting and visitors.
The local economy does welcome and recognize the value in hunters as a tourism source. Sales in gas, meals, rooms, and sporting supplies are a benefit to local merchants. As the city grows from the little oil-town is started from, the benefits may seem less noticeable but they are still there and visitors keep coming.
As for the garbage, if you get out about the community, you will see that we have more than our own share of local contributions before, and long after the hunters leave.

densa44
10-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Be assured that you are always welcome in Stettler. There will be lots of roosters running around and of course for now plenty of waterfowl.

sjemac
10-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Nice 1/2 section south east of Botha, think it was site 19. Flushed 15 of the 16 birds we ordered and found #16 safely holed up in a pile of slash branches about 3 feet in so he wasn't coming out and the dogs couldn't get at him so we walked away leaving him for seed.
Condition of the birds was terrible with only 1 of the 15 flushed having a stub of 14 inch or so tail while others were completely without a tail. Not many were able to fly well and the dogs caught 2-3 about a foot off the ground trying rudderless flight. Others we had to call the dogs off as there was no safe shot without hitting a close in pursuing dog. Think we got a second chance at a few of those flushing or the dogs trapping them later in the day.
Since tails are usually not grown due to crowding it looks as it they need more room or more cover to develop. Some times permanent damage is done to the tail feather folicles when blood feathers are just developing as crowded birds will actually feed on the growing blood feathers.
Guess the other disturbing thing that didnt really affect our results because we had already searched the cover on both sides of the pea field was the outfitter or goose hunters that set up blinds and decoys in the north west corner of our 1/2 section around 3 PM. He stopped to talk to us on his way out saying he had forgotten all about the festival. More troubling at about 3 30 while taking a break and watering the dogs at the south gate was a silver mini van with 2 guys and a dog who drove onto the pea stubble and hunted one of our covers actually flushing a rooster and missing it 3 times.
You would think the festival would grant exclusive rights to a property until the end of the day. We headed back to Stettler at about 4:40 pm and these guys were still running their dog and hunting our property when we left. they came in from the north so I have no idea if they came from another release site near us and wandered on to "our" property or if they were just taking advantage of free birds.

I was also quite disappointed in the quality of the birds. We found six of the eight released for us but two of those were picked up by the dogs on the ground. One bird was already dead and just starting to rigor up and the other was emaciated and nearly dead already. Of the three that we shot none of them had tails and all showed evidence of having been picked at by other birds in the tail feather area. We won’t be eating the one that was already dead or the sick bird so we get three birds total.

I like the idea of the event and the price is pretty good considering. There are just some wrinkles that need to get worked out such as ensuring that there are good quality birds released. If that could be insured I would be a repeat customer.

Paule
10-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Our group(same 4 since inaugural year) has attended the Stettler festival from the beginning. I haul my decoy trailer up to enjoy the waterfowling in the am, do afternoon releases for the pheasants. Makes for a few busy days, but entirely worth it. I must say, the birds........quality just wasn't there. Literally 1/3 of our birds (16 of 48)in 3 days were caught by our dogs. Anyway, hopefully it is rectified and we can continue to come up there for this. Other than that, the waterfowling did not disappoint again. Thousands of birds, mixed bag, snows, specs, canadas, ducks. Funny thing is landowner(which we hunted 2 separate quarters of his 2 morning hunts in a row for waterfowl). Had 2 gorgeous labs, hunting trailer and I assumed we weren't gaining permission upon seeing this on entering the yard.(because he would hunt it himself) Turns out, he was headed south to hunt some wild pheasants south of Lethbridge. Fellow sportsman, outdoorsmen and just a great guy.
I would also like to apologize to the 2 gentleman in an suv that stopped by to see if we needed a couple guys with dogs. I was on a business call at the time and as I reflected, I may of been short with them stating "we have 3 dogs in the back, I think we're good". It may of come off arrogant, I was just preoccupied and they were just being helpful. As they departed, my conversation ended, my partner said " I think that's that densa 44 from the outdoorsmen, theres 2 pudelpointers in the back there". Whoever it was, as I said. I hope you found who you were looking for and had a great hunt, as we did that afternoon. Thanks to all the volunteers and organizers of that event and the great land owners we've always encountered up there! Hopefully "till next year Stettler"(with a little more challenging bunch of pheasants).

wwbirds
10-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Bringing me my folder with all my hunting licences I had left in his truck Friday. Once again they got 15 of 16 birds, Dogs caught a lot and none had tails and Dale said a few were sadly emaciated being half size of a normal rooster. this is easily corrected.
Measure square footage of holding pens and divide by 10 square feet per bird (if spectacled) to determine holding capacity of pens. If not using spectacles you need 20 square feet per bird to raise healthy fully muscled and feathered birds. If the diet is good the only difference can be crowding. As this event grows each year either more pens must be built or spectacles must be used.
I would even donate 1000 or so specks to the organizers. I am sure I have some pins but they would probably need to order more pins from Kuhl.

Sako300
10-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Have to agree with the above, huge difference in bird quality over the last two years. Great event, but would be tough to make the trip up again if the same birds were being used.

Twobucks
10-16-2017, 04:08 PM
We found the same thing - no tails and one severely emaciated bird that couldn't even run from the dog. It just sat there and waited.

Last year the birds were generally great, especially considering the freezing rain we had. Hope they get that sorted.

People were terrific, the land had great habitat and we loved watching string after string of snows going over. We'll see what dad is up for, but I hope to be back next year.

fish_e_o
10-16-2017, 04:16 PM
We found the same thing - no tails and one severely emaciated bird that couldn't even run from the dog. It just sat there and waited.

i wonder where the birds came from. i visited wessex and the birds were almost dead in the crate when we got them.

calvin
10-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Had a great site, had great weather, stopped and parked and waited for our starting time. Wife took dog for a quick walk and found 3 birds within 100ft of parking spot. Dog went absolutely ballistic when we turned him off leash. Birds running all over the place. Running. Few flew. Dog caught about 4. We finally got him leashed and got away from there. We did find a couple more but I think survivors from previous hunters. No tail feather. No meat on birds and a few just had full feathering. My son raised and released pheasants thru the 4h program and were released in better condition a couple of months ago. Very disappointing in the birds. Second day was much the same. Found all 8, killed 6, dog got 3. They didn't fly. He pointed, we told him to flush, he did and birds stood still and basically dog picked them up with little effort. We will head south in a couple of weeks to find some wild birds. Will be tougher hunting as this experience may have not been good for dog.