PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting Questions

Quinner
10-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Been a while since I've posted here, but figured it was worth a shot.
Drew my moose tag this year, after 7 years of waiting. Ive always wanted to hunt moose in the rut, so that's what I put in for. After drawing said tag I scouted all summer. I came across a sweet spot. Complete with about 40 acres of swamp, surrounded with evergreens and hills covered in poplar. Even has a giant spring/mineral lick flowing into said swamp moose sign everywhere. All the willows are nibbled, tons of tracks, and moose sheds laying around. So I hung a camera and got tons of pics. So my questions are
1. I've been sitting on a hillside overlooking the swamp, and cow calling with no luck. Is this a good aproach?
2. Is it advisable to sit in one area and call, or should I be covering miles? (I'm an elk hunter mostly and this sitting thing gets me wound up)
3. I've always heard moose will come from quite a ways out. Is this true?
4. Is the rut in full swing yet? Been hearing lots of reports but I've seen cows without bulls.

Anyways thanks in advance guys. Good luck with your respective hunts and shoot straight.

Passthru
10-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Moose are very patient at times I've found. Sometimes they will stand just inside the trees listening for an hour or so to be sure what is making the calls and you would never know they were there. I've found it's a long game when calling. Sometimes it'll take hours for them to get to you. If they do get hung up in the trees and you know they are there then try grunting like a bull and raking branches with a paddle or old scapula. That will challenge the bull and he will probable charge out looking for a fight. Good luck. Nothing like a moose charging in looking for a scrap.

beaver hunter
10-06-2017, 12:22 PM
I had a bull stand on a ridge last night and just watch

Smokinyotes
10-06-2017, 01:37 PM
I dont have enough patience to sit for more than an hour calling. If the bulls are close they usually come in pretty quick.

yidava25
10-06-2017, 05:38 PM
There's no guarantees obviously but if you're not getting any replies, doesn't hurt to move and try another spot. Often you'll call in one place, try another, and just before dark or the next morning come back to your original spot and he'll be close by wondering where you went.
Not that these numbers make me an expert, but of my 7 bulls, one was taken at last light, one in mid afternoon and the rest in the morning. I still hunt evenings just as hard but seems mornings are just better.
Good luck sounds like a sweet area!

BootScoot
10-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Been a while since I've posted here, but figured it was worth a shot.
Drew my moose tag this year, after 7 years of waiting. Ive always wanted to hunt moose in the rut, so that's what I put in for. After drawing said tag I scouted all summer. I came across a sweet spot. Complete with about 40 acres of swamp, surrounded with evergreens and hills covered in poplar. Even has a giant spring/mineral lick flowing into said swamp moose sign everywhere. All the willows are nibbled, tons of tracks, and moose sheds laying around. So I hung a camera and got tons of pics. So my questions are
1. I've been sitting on a hillside overlooking the swamp, and cow calling with no luck. Is this a good aproach?
2. Is it advisable to sit in one area and call, or should I be covering miles? (I'm an elk hunter mostly and this sitting thing gets me wound up)
3. I've always heard moose will come from quite a ways out. Is this true?
4. Is the rut in full swing yet? Been hearing lots of reports but I've seen cows without bulls.

Anyways thanks in advance guys. Good luck with your respective hunts and shoot straight.

Most cows will be bred already but the bulls will still be looking for ones that haven't been.

58thecat
10-07-2017, 08:38 AM
If you have the sign, call, move, act like another bull moose, rake branches, walk, snap twigs, grunt, cow call...then sit and watch, pay attention as some come in hard and some walk on air...be ready.

The area I hunt is all torn up, got three bulls and six cows, no tag, so I set the cameras up and watch maybe next years Bulls grow...:angry3:

Good luck out there.

Mountain Guy
10-07-2017, 08:55 AM
1. I think so. All indications are that the moose frequent that spot so that would be good enough for me to tough it out there
2. Do you have a plan B ? Or another spot like that? If not I would tough it out there.
3. I don't know for certain but would assume so. I've called in moose after several hours of inactivity.
4. Pretty close to peak time right now...give or take. Probably a little past posted rut time.

Good luck !

wbaj
10-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Moose are very patient at times I've found. Sometimes they will stand just inside the trees listening for an hour or so to be sure what is making the calls and you would never know they were there. I've found it's a long game when calling. Sometimes it'll take hours for them to get to you. If they do get hung up in the trees and you know they are there then try grunting like a bull and raking branches with a paddle or old scapula. That will challenge the bull and he will probable charge out looking for a fight. Good luck. Nothing like a moose charging in looking for a scrap.

X2.I once sat and called in a good spot overlooking a major trail/swampy area for 4 hours before a bull appeared. He never made a sound until the last 20 minutes of legal light. He then just ripped up the bush, grunted loud and proud b4 finally showing himself. Had I not seen him 2 days earlier I would have quit calling way sooner.
If your in a good area and the wind and season are in your favor give the calling some time. I started slow, maybe every 30 minutes and then increased frequency and urgency as the day ended and the evening began.
Nothing is guaranteed with these guys, every season I've hunted them seems to bring some unique learnings.....but hey that's what makes it so much fun!!!

Big Grey Wolf
10-08-2017, 03:26 PM
You are in a quality moose area. I would do some still hunting into the wind, very careful, lots of stopping and listening/looking. My trapping partner and I have shot over 90 moose, never called a single one, just kick his but out of his bed and choot em.

Hugenuge
10-08-2017, 03:35 PM
If you have the sign, call, move, act like another bull moose, rake branches, walk, snap twigs, grunt, cow call...then sit and watch, pay attention as some come in hard and some walk on air...be ready.

The area I hunt is all torn up, got three bulls and six cows, no tag, so I set the cameras up and watch maybe next years Bulls grow...:angry3:

Good luck out there.

I strongly agree with this advise, this is how i was taught to hunt and its been very successful strategy.

Red Bullets
10-08-2017, 03:54 PM
If you notice lots of fresh browsed 'twigs' it could be the moose is around. If the all of the browsed twigs look like last years nibble maybe the moose has moved.

walleye guy
10-08-2017, 04:06 PM
How many others are in there calling and leaving their scent around ? Too much pressure could push them out of the area for a while

3blade
10-08-2017, 04:09 PM
1. Yes. The old school way to kill a moose it to sit on a hill and call for a week. Remember the week part.

2. Establish a series of calling locations based on wind direction and shot probability. Spend First and last light at the best spot though. Drop some cow in heat scent in each spot.

3. Oh yeah. Miles. But, they will also circle down wind almost every time. So keep that in mind.

4. Past the peak but still lots of bulls fired up.

I think you just need more time in the spot. Another tip I've heard, is to build a small smoky fire on your calling hill, and watch where the smoke settles. Sometimes the wind and thermals betray you without you knowing.

Also, the whole "walk like a moose" thing is real. Don't sneak, walk and stop, use your binos when approaching a calling location. Pick some leaves, grunt, rake brush.

BorealBucks
10-08-2017, 04:29 PM
You are in a quality moose area. I would do some still hunting into the wind, very careful, lots of stopping and listening/looking. My trapping partner and I have shot over 90 moose, never called a single one, just kick his but out of his bed and choot em.

over 90 moose by 2 people? sounds detrimental to the moose population.

beaver hunter
10-08-2017, 05:51 PM
over 90 moose by 2 people? sounds detrimental to the moose population.

:thinking-006:

Smokinyotes
10-08-2017, 06:41 PM

If you have never called a bull in and shot it you havent experienced moose hunting. I have called in many many moose over the years. Thats what makes moose hunting exciting. :)

kw12
10-08-2017, 07:06 PM
I just called my first bull moose in this morning he came in on a string and gave me a perfect broadside 8 yard shot. It was super exciting

Passthru
10-08-2017, 08:26 PM
I just called my first bull moose in this morning he came in on a string and gave me a perfect broadside 8 yard shot. It was super exciting

Nice. So did you shoot?

kw12
10-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Yup! If someone wants to post a pic for me I can text it to them pm me your number.

JD848
10-08-2017, 09:14 PM
There still in rut,get off that hill and get near that drinken hole,soft calls and not loud.Stay near the water,they may travel along the thicker bush and you may miss him.Rut or no rut they have to drink.

Mask your scent as best as you can using different methods,something solid at your back,sharp small hill and hunger down,sitting on that hill the wind maybe swirling down below and they smell you. If that doesn't work and it's been windy walk up on them if the sitting bores you,go to google and check every exit that they may use and walk into that exit with the right wind.
I like to call just before sun up ,but not loud incase there not far away and try and pick your calling spot the night before.There's many ways to hunt them you have to figure your area and how there traveling and do what moose do when they communicate .

Quinner
10-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. Been trying a little of everything. Gonna give this spot a rest tomorrow try a back up. Then one more day. Hopefully some pics to follow.