PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance question

xxclaro
10-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Going to Edmonton tomorrow to hopefully buy a vehicle, just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting insurance on a Saturday so I can get it home? All my insurance is with Co operators but looks like all the offices are closed weekends.

SlightlyDistracting
10-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Going to Edmonton tomorrow to hopefully buy a vehicle, just wondering if anyone knows how to go about getting insurance on a Saturday so I can get it home? All my insurance is with Co operators but looks like all the offices are closed weekends.

Legally you cant. You may be able to borrow a dealer plate. But if you are financing it they probably wont let you drive away without proof of insurance. Youd be silly to anyways. Any sort of accident and you probably wont be covered

xxclaro
10-06-2017, 08:43 PM
So no insurance companies operate on weekends? Seems kinda silly, I'm sure lots of people buy vehicles on the weekend. Can't do the dealer plate, its a private sale.

mooseknuckle
10-06-2017, 08:45 PM
Im in edmonton, but use western general in calgary. Dont have # in front of me, but they should be able to help on weekend.

xxclaro
10-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Great, thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow if my guys won't answer their phones, which I suspect they won't.

mikelikefish
10-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Ama tow it home

Blastoff
10-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Try through the Cervua Credit Union they sell insurance, I think they are open on weekends. It's a toll free number.

densa44
10-07-2017, 06:55 AM
I've done just what you plan lots of times (Michener auctions) and have had no problems, I think they faxed a copy to the vendor.

Dean2
10-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Talk to your insurance company Friday. If you are taking the plate from an existing car let them know that so they can also authorise the temp insurance transfer till you can register the new car.

sewerrat
10-07-2017, 09:01 AM
We bought a vehicle 2 years ago on a Saturday, at a dealer in Leduc, we took it home the same day, on your insurance pink slip there should be a 1800 number to call and they will insure you right then and there. this was with wawanessa .

jrowan
10-07-2017, 09:13 AM
My td insurance has a phone number you can call to make changes to the insurance coverage and they email you a temporary slip right away. Shouldn't your insurance company have them same? If not try calling claims and get them to change it lol

xxclaro
10-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Thanks guy's, was able to call the head office and get it done. Appreciate the help.

fordtruckin
10-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Hmmm, my insurance company gives me something like 30 days coverage for any vehicle I purchase based off of my existing insurance policy specifically for situations like the OP has mentioned.

whiteout
10-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Just in case anyone looks at this int he future, you can use the insurance you currently have to temporarily cover your new car.

Basically, if you are replacing your current car, you can use the insurance and plate off it for up to 14 days.

tri777
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
"..if you are replacing your current car, you can use
the insurance and plate off it for up to 14 days.."

And if car in question causes some kind of accidental chaos
resulting in the conclusion it wasn't 'Road worthy'.. ?

whiteout
10-08-2017, 02:44 PM
And if car in question causes some kind of accidental chaos
resulting in the conclusion it wasn't 'Road worthy'.. ?

Your level of coverage doesn't change unless the car is not a direct substitution. It's under the SPF #1 section of insurance.

If you have full coverage on Car A and are replacing it with Car B, you can use the plate and insurance off Car A for up to 14 days.

You can also buy a third car and have the same grace period, but the lowest level of coverage present on the policy. So if you have Car A with PLPD and Car B with full coverage, but go and buy Car C on a Sunday, you'll only have PLPD on it even if the plate from the full coverage car is on it.

Rimbilly
10-08-2017, 02:50 PM

We just bought a new car last weekend and had the same problem. We had to sign some papers for liability reasons and they gave us a dealer plate and we were on our way... got the insurance, registration and a new plate on the following Monday and could either bring the plate back or mail it back. Done deal.

ronkaren
10-09-2017, 10:23 PM
We bought a vehicle 2 years ago on a Saturday, at a dealer in Leduc, we took it home the same day, on your insurance pink slip there should be a 1800 number to call and they will insure you right then and there. this was with wawanessa .

there you go.

Sundancefisher
10-10-2017, 05:58 AM
Talk to your insurance company Friday. If you are taking the plate from an existing car let them know that so they can also authorise the temp insurance transfer till you can register the new car.

X2

Just ask your insurance company.

Ken07AOVette
10-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Cooperators answers the phones 24/7. Click the number for new claim, say you bought a car and they will add it to your policy. They will email and fax. You can NOT use the insurance off your car for 14 days just plate. That's vehicle seized and a huge fine for driving with no insurance.
Sorry Whiteout you are mistaken in your teply.

SlightlyDistracting
10-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Cooperators answers the phones 24/7. Click the number for new claim, say you bought a car and they will add it to your policy. They will email and fax. You can NOT use the insurance off your car for 14 days just plate. That's vehicle seized and a huge fine for driving with no insurance.

X2

SlightlyDistracting
10-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Not to mention if you ever hurt someone without a valid policy.

whiteout
10-11-2017, 10:06 AM

SPF #1 allows you to do this, it falls under the Newly Acquired Automobile section

Know someone who used the insurance off their old car on a replacement, was involved in an accident and covered. Confirmed by insurance company as well.

Jeron Kahyar
10-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Just in case anyone looks at this int he future, you can use the insurance you currently have to temporarily cover your new car.

Basically, if you are replacing your current car, you can use the insurance and plate off it for up to 14 days.You can use the plate for 14 days but the insurance is from a private company and does not work the same.

You usually can call your insurance company and have them add your new vehicle (to your current policy) to get it temporarily covered. This will get you home so you can properly insure later.

TL;DR call your insurance provider to get the correct information.