PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hunting by bike?

tswg
10-06-2017, 08:13 PM
I've been hoping to use the fatbike to get a little further back in the country this year. I thought a trailer would be helpful in the event my rookie ass actually shoots something. Being the decisive guy I am, i ended up building two trailers. One is a modified bob trailer to fit a 3" tire and one is a very heavily modified trailer bike, modified to handle a 5" fatbike tire. I've tested them around the neighborhood with about 70 lbs of gear. The Bob rides better, but the trailer bike (Frank) can handle more weight. The Bob needs a special axle however, and Frank can quick release onto pretty much any bike. Both suck to go up hills, but they cruise nice in the flats and can handle downhills well enough.

Anyone else doing something like this? Would love to see other rigs or hear your general bike hunting tips.

bigwolf
10-07-2017, 12:00 AM
If you end up with a harvest please post pics. I'm interested in how you will get a carcass on.

last minute
10-07-2017, 04:14 AM
If you end up with a harvest please post pics. I'm interested in how you will get a carcass on.
If i had to guess the harvest would be cut up and deboned.:thinking-006:
I have never done that but looks like fun tswg enjoy.:)

densa44
10-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Wait until the moose is laying over the hood of the truck before pulling the trigger.

If it is legal where you hunt I've heard of moose being skidded out down cut lines being a quad.

These are big critters and potentially as the boys have said a lot of work.

Young Eldon
10-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Crossing creeks and small rivers would be the real trial! Amazing how much pressure current can put on tires and spokes.

slickwilly
10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Are you thinking about actually getting off road, or just going down some locked/deactivated oil or forestry roads?

lmtada
10-07-2017, 09:23 AM
It's the hills that will anger me.

powerbob
10-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Nice . Where I hunt it's to friking wet for a mountain bike .
Would be great in a dry year