PDA

View Full Version : The last thing I'll ever need!

densa44
10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Here it is; when I get permission on land from a neighbour and get to the barbed wire gate it has a wire loop holding the gate closed. You all have seen this. The rub is the farmer has an 800 lb. gorilla that pulls the gate closed and loops the wire over the end post.

I have permission but can't get the gate open.

I have seen those DU lever action openers and they work great. What I would like to make or buy is a portable one that I can take with me to use on the next gate that I come to.

You guys are smart, is there a product I can buy or plans that I can use to make something.

Thx

MountainTi
10-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Set of wire stretchers

Tfng
10-07-2017, 05:05 PM
A lever with a length of chain and a hook large enough to fit the post would work. Just like you see on some gates but the chain would be hooked on the post rather than permanently secured.

Commander B
10-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Come shovel cow crap and throw bales with us for the rest of the year and build up your pipes....... :sHa_shakeshout: Ratchet strap and your done.

B.

densa44
10-07-2017, 05:22 PM
I just saw a picture of a wire stretcher, and my neigbour must have one for sure when the gorilla is not available.

Do they work under a load in both directions?

omega50
10-07-2017, 05:27 PM
For years my hunting buddy and I fought tooth and nail over who's truck we were going to take hunting.
The winner got to take his own truck and drive-The loser had to deal with gates.

Sadly-I developed excellent technique-Kind of a driving shoulder-bear hug/ chin drop to close loop thing:sHa_shakeshout:

Under NO circumstances would the driver assist-His job was to point and laugh:sign0176:

Birchcraft
10-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Could just untie the loop and make it a bit easier to open.

Kurt505
10-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Stand behind the post that is part of the fence.

With both hands reach around either side of said post and grab onto the gate post.

Pull gate post towards your chest while using the fence post pressed up against your chest for support.

Flip wire over fence post.

Enter the honey hole.

wwbirds
10-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Carry 3/8 braided rope about 6 feet long. Create noose at one end. Loop the noose over Fence post the gate post is attached to. wind loose rope around gate post. Pull tight until you have enough slack to move wire over top of fence post. close the same way. I loop rope under top strand of gate wire so as not to interfere with lifting or placing wire on top of gate post.

kmacisaac
10-07-2017, 05:54 PM
It doesn't get much cheaper than a simple ratchet strap from Canadian tire, and it rolls up neatly for storage.

wwbirds
10-07-2017, 05:56 PM
Carry 3/8 braided rope about 6 feet long. Create noose at one end. Loop the noose over Fence post the gate post is attached to. wind loose rope around gate post. Pull tight until you have enough slack to move wire over top of fence post. close the same way. I loop rope under top strand of gate wire so as not to interfere with lifting or placing wire on top of gate post.

Some of those older farmers don't have a gorilla they just make very tight gates. The guy I bought this farm from was in his 70's and for 10 years I bet I struggled with his gates and I was in my 40's and 50's. He had a knack after opening and closing them for 60 odd years.
I also tried catching him one day when he was walking the fences in his coveralls with a roll of wire over his shoulder. I had to cut him off walking diagonally through field as chasing him I couldn't catch up and he was 30 years older.

albertadave
10-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Stand behind the post that is part of the fence.

With both hands reach around either side of said post and grab onto the gate post.

Pull gate post towards your chest while using the fence post pressed up against your chest for support.

Flip wire over fence post.

Enter the honey hole.

This technique also works for closing them. I once heard about a guy that was doing just this, and managed to get his nipple caught between the wire loop and the post. Sounded like it might have hurt a little.

Kurt505
10-07-2017, 06:15 PM
This technique also works for closing them. I once heard about a guy that was doing just this, and managed to get his nipple caught between the wire loop and the post. Sounded like it might have hurt a little.

Ha! Ya, I wouldn't do it topless!

I worked with a knucklehead who couldn't open or close a gate if his life depended on it. He'd keep trying to push the gate post until he flipped head over heels. When I seen part of his shoe lace still hanging from the top barbed wire, and after I stopped laughing, I showed him the correct way of doing it. In hind sight, I should have just kept laughing.

crazy_davey
10-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Could just untie the loop and make it a bit easier to open.

Don't mess with the guys gate. Around here we make all our gates tight so the cows can't rub them open, and yes they do it quite often.

Lots of good ideas above...

stob
10-07-2017, 06:37 PM
A lever with a length of chain and a hook large enough to fit the post would work. Just like you see on some gates but the chain would be hooked on the post rather than permanently secured.

x2 or a cheap crappy tire come-a-long ... had the same problem once and it worked for me ...i think the ranchers son did it on purpose to get his yuk yuks - he got them

CaberTosser
10-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Keep one of these in the truck: http://www.irwin.com/tools/brands/quick-grip

Or even easier, a rope tied into a loop and a stick through its two looped ends to twist as a winch of sorts.

Taco
10-07-2017, 06:44 PM
I just saw a picture of a wire stretcher, and my neigbour must have one for sure when the gorilla is not available.

Do they work under a load in both directions?Yes they will and if you wanna poke the 800lb gorilla somewhat tighten the bottom gate loops an inch or two, not overly obvious and makes 'em 800 lb gorilla proof.

tbiddy
10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
I am always having to open and close landowner gates for work. I am 6' tall and 300lbs. I'll grab the post and put my shoulder into it and some won't budge. The farmer will pull up. 160lbs, 80 years old and poof, it's open. I call it farmer strength. I carry a rope or ratchet strap with me now. Love seeing a texas gate or a lever action opener when I roll up to a field.

The Cook
10-07-2017, 07:00 PM
How about " Grow a set" or take up pickleball

JustBen
10-07-2017, 07:53 PM
A tight gate helps keep the riff-raff out.

cschache
10-07-2017, 07:56 PM
use your shoulder with one hand around the stationary post and put pressure on it then with your free hand pop the loop off!! LOL!!!! Now ive heard just about everything!! Good luck to ya!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Battle Rat
10-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I keep a fence stretcher in the truck to fix my fence or the neighbors if need be.
Fixing a strangers fence will go along way to getting permission to hunt.

Redfrog
10-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Much like dog training , you must be smarter than the dog/gate. :thinking-006:

Once again WWbirds demonstrates this attribute. It doesn't get easier or dumber than a rope.:sHa_shakeshout: And it makes a pretty good dog leash for those times you need to whisper to the dog and he doesn't care.

Most of my clients for predator hunting are from the city. They want to enjoy all of the wild west experience. So I drive and they argue over who will get the gate. They both want to...........the first day:) So with hoots of derision from his partner one will get out and struggle to open the gate. He struggle with option of dropping it or dragging it out of the way. I drive through and watch in the mirror as he struggles even harder to get the dang thing done up again. Finally with chest puffed and dust knocked off his hands he admires his handiwork..................from the wrong side of the gate.:sHa_shakeshout:

densa44
10-07-2017, 08:44 PM
I have chain and a "boomer" plus some of those ratchet straps.

I'm 73 and recovering from open heart surgery so we are going to work smarter not harder. The best idea so far was to have someone younger in the passenger seat.

I like that one best.

cschache
10-07-2017, 08:58 PM
I have chain and a "boomer" plus some of those ratchet straps.

I'm 73 and recovering from open heart surgery so we are going to work smarter not harder. The best idea so far was to have someone younger in the passenger seat.

I like that one best.

Now I feel like an azz for LOL, a rope and or ratchet strap is your best bet! and wish you a quick recovery!

robson3954
10-07-2017, 09:16 PM
How about " Grow a set" or take up pickleball

I thought only firefighters played pickleball:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Norwest Alta
10-07-2017, 09:29 PM

This works good

lyallpeder
10-07-2017, 10:52 PM
Ratchet strap.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 12:49 AM
x2 or a cheap crappy tire come-a-long ... had the same problem once and it worked for me ...i think the ranchers son did it on purpose to get his yuk yuks - he got them

Might have a trail cam set up so they can sit around and laugh watching the city folk attempt to open a gate....:sHa_sarcasticlol: cheap entertainment.

Personally seen a buddy from out east manipulate his body in such a manner that when the top wire popped the post sprung, wacked him right between the ears and he went arse over tea kettle, I spat my coffee all over the inside of the truck...

brslk
10-08-2017, 02:27 AM
Might have a trail cam set up so they can sit around and laugh watching the city folk attempt to open a gate....:sHa_sarcasticlol: cheap entertainment.

Personally seen a buddy from out east manipulate his body in such a manner that when the top wire popped the post sprung, wacked him right between the ears and he went arse over tea kettle, I spat my coffee all over the inside of the truck...

It's funny when country folk come to the city and act like bumpkins too!

crazy_davey
10-08-2017, 02:47 AM

More hilarious watching a guy from the city trying to open a properly built gate:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Was fencing last week and building a new gate at the end of it. Neighbors dad showed up to check out the progress. He is 85, and the first thing he said was "great job but can a guy from the city open it?". Had a good laugh over that comment, even more now :)

brslk
10-08-2017, 06:14 AM
More hilarious watching a guy from the city trying to open a properly built gate:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Was fencing last week and building a new gate at the end of it. Neighbors dad showed up to check out the progress. He is 85, and the first thing he said was "great job but can a guy from the city open it?". Had a good laugh over that comment, even more now :)

I'm a transplant. I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan but moved to the city as an adult.
Plenty to laugh at on both sides.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Ya but they seem to adapt and adjust a lot quicker...fumble around just a little bit but not for thier whole stay. If I put it into perspective city folk are like a one bladed knife, country folk are like a multi-tool...very adaptive and prepared for the most part...then you got folks like me, all,over the map, got a knife and a multi tool but just put one down and for the luv of Jesus can't find it:scared0018: