PDA

View Full Version : Why is AB. Education endorsing an Arabic K-12 curriculum?

normstad
10-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Canada has two official languages.. English and French. What the heck are they thinking about introducing a whole K-12 curriculum in any other language, this time in Arabic?

This has nothing to do with race or religion. It is just plain silly to teach children K-12 in any other language than English or French. Teach a second language? Sure, go for it. German, Spanish, Mandarin, Fukinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Arab, Russian... fill your boots, if the demand is there. But not an entire curriculum. This is just wrong.

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=4872675D4F5B0-FCC6-FB5C-9F52692ECABD07C0

260 Rem
10-07-2017, 08:31 PM
It looks like the “locally developed” course that Edm developed is being made more widely available ... doesn’t appear to be a whole K -12 curriculum in the sense that it appears to be Language Arts only? I think it is already done in Ukrainian.

The Cook
10-07-2017, 08:36 PM
No comment. 914 and counting

normstad
10-07-2017, 09:17 PM
It looks like the “locally developed” course that Edm developed is being made more widely available ... doesn’t appear to be a whole K -12 curriculum in the sense that it appears to be Language Arts only? I think it is already done in Ukrainian.

Hmmm.. on re-reading it you may be right. I just could not imagine an Arab immersion program.

Newview01
10-07-2017, 09:52 PM
It was a matter of time.

Headdamage
10-07-2017, 09:55 PM
While we're at it, how the fact math is taught using Arabic numerals? ;)

purgatory.sv
10-07-2017, 10:05 PM
No comment. 914 and counting

As a cook,and someone who has changed status you are doing good?
I make this assumption?

Numbers only count when you control them.

You have passed your number.!!!!!!

enjoy.

greendrake
10-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Canada has two official languages.. English and French. What the heck are they thinking about introducing a whole K-12 curriculum in any other language, this time in Arabic?

This has nothing to do with race or religion. It is just plain silly to teach children K-12 in any other language than English or French. Teach a second language? Sure, go for it. German, Spanish, Mandarin, Fukinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Arab, Russian... fill your boots, if the demand is there. But not an entire curriculum. This is just wrong.

Calm down it is only LA not an entire curriculum. Allendale school German , Baldwin Mandir in, Cree is taught Punjabi is taught Japanese is taught and they have been for years n rural schools also. They also do studies in English not full submersion. In fact The Allendale German program is 75% East Indian students. Its a fact that the more languages you speak the more money you make.

normstad
10-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Calm down it is only LA not an entire curriculum. Allendale school German , Baldwin Mandir in, Cree is taught Punjabi is taught Japanese is taught and they have been for years n rural schools also. They also do studies in English not full submersion. In fact The Allendale German program is 75% East Indian students. Its a fact that the more languages you speak the more money you make.

See my answer here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=3638970&postcount=4

hilt134
10-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Yeah doesnt seem like it would set the kids up well for college or uni. Even if paired with a steller english course its only going to give them nore work and less usable credits for applying. Also i know for a fact that if this where out up where i lived the kids in it would be treated terribly. And middle eastern kids in the public stream would be treated worse. The same thing happend with the catholic and french school. Honestly for the kids sake i hope they stick to the public curriculum.

Positrac
10-08-2017, 07:33 AM
As a cook,and someone who has changed status you are doing good?
I make this assumption?

Numbers only count when you control them.

You have passed your number.!!!!!!

enjoy.

Not quite. 86 more to go then Cook’s opinion might not get him banned. 115 for me...

I’m not sure there is in fact a line in the sand where you can talk freely without fear of retribution at a certain post count but I know if I voice my opinion on the topic of this thread I will be testing the theory.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Well we have become a mosh pit, strength in diversity says the wise ones but it also makes you weak when you are stretch so freakin thin trying to please all but hey we are only going to saying thing we are very well known for...sorry.:snapoutofit:

sns2
10-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Not quite. 86 more to go then Cook’s opinion might not get him banned. 115 for me...

I’m not sure there is in fact a line in the sand where you can talk freely without fear of retribution at a certain post count but I know if I voice my opinion on the topic of this thread I will be testing the theory.

No there is not a magic number. Yes, your opinion may have tested the theory. Who knows? My opinion may test the theory too.

As a teacher, generally speaking of these other language immersion programs, if kids are living in an English speaking society, then making English the second language they think and write in, is a difficult proposition on the kid. They have to be real sharp cookies, which I think is what you see at the high school level. I may certainly be wrong, and don't care enough to look it up, but French may be the only language that an immersion program is offered in at the high school level, as I have only ever seen diploma exams in English and French. Sjemac would be able to say for certain.

260 Rem
10-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I can’t speak to any parent’s motivation for putting their child into one of these programs but back in the old days...30 years ago when the some of these locally developed courses were sanctioned by the Department... I questioned why a parent would consider the Ukrainian languge arts option and came to the conclusion that most of the kids were from families where Ukrainian was not spoken in the home .... but parents wanted their kids to learn to speak and write the basics of their linguistic heritage. In many cases, it was the first language of the grandparents, and was being lost through lack of use by the parents. Some of those parents also put their kids in Ukrainian dance....still do I guess.

Birchcraft
10-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Makes sense in this modern globalized world to offer children an opportunity to learn a language spoke by a huge portion of the population (about 4x more than french according to google). Ignorance causes more problems than it solves.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Makes sense in this modern globalized world to offer children an opportunity to learn a language spoke by a huge portion of the population (about 4x more than french according to google). Ignorance causes more problems than it solves.

That's why one should travel and spend adequate time to not only learn the language but the culture too, jamming it into a semester is just brushing the surface...

CF8889
10-08-2017, 11:23 AM
That's why one should travel and spend adequate time to not only learn the language but the culture too, jamming it into a semester is just brushing the surface...

it's easier to travel and learn a culture, if you speak the language..

FishingMOM
10-08-2017, 05:24 PM
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS
:sick:

THIS IS AN ENGLISH AND FRENCH SPEAKING NATION.
PICK 1

PICK BOTH.
ENGLISH OR FRENCH
YOUR CHOICE
THOSE ARE THE NATIONALLY APPROVED LANGUAGES.
NOT ANYTHING ELSE

260 Rem
10-08-2017, 05:29 PM
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS

PICK 1

PICK BOTH.
ENGLISH OR FRENCH
YOUR CHOICE
NOT ANYTHING ELSE
I think the residential school program was based on similar thinking...

Selkirk
10-08-2017, 05:58 PM
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS

PICK 1

PICK BOTH.
ENGLISH OR FRENCH
YOUR CHOICE
NOT ANYTHING ELSE

Yes fer sure ... we must only study those foreign languages that are 'Nationally Approved'! :lol:

Hows the fishing been lately, Mom? ;)

Selkirk

jstubbs
10-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Language and politics aside, immersion programs all seem like brilliant ideas--the kids learns TWO languages!!--but I'd love to see some studies done on the effects of immersion programs. Seems to me, unless the child has a strong personal interest to pursue and continue to use the language they've been taught throughout their immersion program, they often fail to retain any sort of fluency in the immersion language; especially in the cases of children who do immersion from only K-6/9.

What's even worse is it always seems like their proficiency in writing (and to a lesser extent, reading) English suffers greatly because they receive far less exposure to the English language in a place where they are spending 7 hours a day, five days a week in. English/language arts is only one part of teaching a child to read/write in school, having to constantly read and write in English in other subjects is where a lot of the practice happens. Things such as reading word problems in math, or writing small summaries in social studies. I've known quite a few people who did French immersion from k-6, and most tell me they hardly know anymore French than the average western Canadian now, yet struggled in English and social studies courses in highschool/junior high because they weren't nearly as proficient as other studies who had just been taught solely in English. Anecdotal, sure, but makes sense that those are possible effects of a language immersion program.

260 Rem
10-08-2017, 07:17 PM
A lot of truth to the “use it or lose it” premise. But, like the lottery, no chance of winning without a ticket.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 07:38 AM
it's easier to travel and learn a culture, if you speak the language..

Ya your going to get the hick version of the language here so get out and travel, see the various cultures, learn thier language...hell I took French I school and when I was over in France I babbled like a fool....

jtiwana
10-09-2017, 08:28 AM
See my answer here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=3638970&postcount=4

My son recently started going to Allendale and has started taking German, has been taking french since grade 2 ( I think). He loves it. I am east indian, now he wants to learn Punjabi. I think more languages are better.

One point we all must remember is that the competition is going global for our next generation. As parents, we need to make them prepared to take on competition from Europe, Asia etc.

CMichaud
10-09-2017, 09:54 AM
I have drilled it into my son since he was born that he is my V2.0

His job is to be:

Stronger than me
Smarter than me
Better than me.

I have three things I have told my son he must complete by the time he is done Grade 12 in order to set him on this path. Namely:

1. Have a black belt in a martial art
2. Play a musical instrument
3. Speak a second language

I would have put him into the Chinese immersion program but they do not offer one near me. As such, he is in French.

The martial art is so he can hopefully defend himself should the need arise
The language is so he is better situated for entering the work force
The guitar is so he can busk for money if jobs are tight and/or give him a leg up when meeting girls.:)

bessiedog
10-09-2017, 11:45 AM
This^^^

Is a wise parent!

Well done sir!

58thecat
10-09-2017, 11:46 AM
I have drilled it into my son since he was born that he is my V2.0

His job is to be:

Stronger than me
Smarter than me
Better than me.

I have three things I have told my son he must complete by the time he is done Grade 12 in order to set him on this path. Namely:

1. Have a black belt in a martial art
2. Play a musical instrument
3. Speak a second language

I would have put him into the Chinese immersion program but they do not offer one near me. As such, he is in French.

The martial art is so he can hopefully defend himself should the need arise
The language is so he is better situated for entering the work force
The guitar is so he can busk for money if jobs are tight and/or give him a leg up when meeting girls.:)

So,what happens if he decides what he wants to do and it does not align with your wants....if he is healthy, happy and a good citizen then he has succeeded.

Provide them with multiple opportunities and let them be them not what someone else wants them to be.

CMichaud
10-09-2017, 02:05 PM
So,what happens if he decides what he wants to do and it does not align with your wants....if he is healthy, happy and a good citizen then he has succeeded.

Provide them with multiple opportunities and let them be them not what someone else wants them to be.

Their are many paths to chose but this is what I am doing to address my obligations to society and hopefully enable my kid to be successful. Not telling anyone else how to run their own lives or how they should raise their kids.

He can do what he wants once he is 18. Until then I am his boss and these are the jobs I have assigned him. If he bucks me hard when he is a teenager I will cross that bridge when I get there I suppose.

Outside of the guitar and karate he is in soccer and weekly rock climbing. We go fishing almost every day for an hour or two at the local pond. Most of the time he is climbing the trees, shooting his sling shot, looking for cray fish etc but I like getting him away from the vid games which he also loves of course.

He is showing an interest in cars and building stuff and I put together a box of tools the neighbour gave us for him. I am hoping he will be a mechanic so he can fix my crap for cheap. Yesterday he told me when I am 63 he will buy me a Dodge Warlock and jack it up...I told him that would be great but leave it stock.

I agree about the citizenship aspect - it is not just about language and sports. To address this my practice has been the following. Each morning I drop him off at school and I ask him what he must be. His response is humble and considerate. I tell him to help make the teacher's job easier and help her out. He is in grade 5 right now. We've been doing this since kindergarten.

We had a discussion just the other night about the social contract and looking for a charity to volunteer for.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Your on the right track, keep them very busy, and like I said and he will well before 18 start to find his personal satisfactions, things that make him unique yet happy which might not be exactly your directions you envision, thats called parenting and the harder years are approaching.

alacringa
10-09-2017, 09:59 PM
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS
PICK 1
NOT ANYTHING ELSE

It is important to understand that we live not just in a nation, but in a world: a world in which Arabic is becoming an increasingly important language. French is not in the 10 most spoken languages in the world today. Arabic is in the top 5. To pretend that the rest of the world does not exist is ignorant and dangerous.
Now, kindly stop yelling at us.

silverdoctor
10-09-2017, 10:05 PM
And besides, Canada and Alberta have been in bed with the Saudi's for a long time.

normstad
10-09-2017, 10:52 PM
And besides, Canada and Alberta have been in bed with the Saudi's for a long time.

Oh yes, the Saudi's, Alberta's best buds, for sure. How could we forget that!

silverdoctor
10-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Oh yes, the Saudi's, Alberta's best buds, for sure. How could we forget that!

http://economic.alberta.ca/documents/SaudiArabia-AB.pdf?0.653810755815357

Saudi Arabia
Alberta relations were established in the mid 1970s when Premier Lougheed visited Riyadh and established close ties to former Saudi Energy Minister Sheikh Yamani.

And http://www.csabc.org/

Remember the 15 billion dollar arms deal? And Trudeau is still pushing it through.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/saudi-arabia-appears-to-be-deploying-canadian-made-armoured-vehicles-against-its-own-citizens/article35831864/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Weapons for oil maybe?
http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/as-politicians-gloat-about-climate-leadership-saudi-arabias-oil-is-dumped-in-canada

http://business.financialpost.com/opinion/how-trudeau-helps-the-saudis-scheme-to-sideline-canadian-oil

And lets take a trip back to the 80's with Trudeau the elder. Sound familiar?
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1980/11/19/Canada-would-not-consider-accepting-a-Saudi-Arabian-oil/2080343458000/

UPI digitized much of their old news stories.

Okotokian
10-10-2017, 10:41 AM
No different than the 50 other languages taught in schools. And I've never met anyone who graduated from foreign language immersion school located in Alberta that couldn't speak English at the end of it all.

The only thing I would expect and demand is that there is sufficient demand from a segment of the public for Alberta Education to spend the money to translate. I assume they don't come up with a whole new curriculum, but merely translate most of what is already in existence. And if you know a teacher, you know how little material Alberta Ed actually develops for teachers, and how much of it they have to develop themselves.