PDA

View Full Version : Oilers 2017/18 season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

colt-44
10-07-2017, 10:56 PM
What , the Oilers can lose .... and to the Canucks , what the .... oh my my ...what you say there Bessie and moose lips .. what happened .. I hope your hangovers don't ruin the long weekend for you both ...LOL :)

brendan's dad
10-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Oilers out played the Canucks badly but anyone can lose to a hot goalie. But your Flames lost the other night with the hot goalie in their own net, how pathetic is that?

colt-44
10-07-2017, 11:10 PM
are you upset they lost or that Mcdavid never even got an assist , or both ... Oilers were outplayed all game ..... the mighty Oilers losing to the Canucks is bothersome for you and should be

hayseed
10-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Go hawks!!!

huntsfurfish
10-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Huh. Who would have ever thought that the Canucks could play better then the Flames.:)

Talking moose
10-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Hahaha your back!!!! How was the crow?

Talking moose
10-08-2017, 12:09 AM
Huh. Who would have ever thought that the Canucks could play better then the Flames.:)

Boom!

Mic drop.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 12:14 AM

Hey, Canucks are rebuilding....story of all Canadian teams eh:)

brslk
10-08-2017, 02:36 AM
Hey, Canucks are rebuilding....story of all Canadian teams eh:)

If they're rebuilding, they should hire Kevin Lowe.
Then they could do it for 10 years.

The Oilers are my team but they just played like they didn't care until the last minute and then it was too late.
Even Talbot looked bad. He let in a couple that should have never got past him.

brendan's dad
10-08-2017, 07:41 AM
The Oilers had 20 crappy minutes last night. 19 minutes of the 1st period and the 1st minute of the 2nd. Pulling Talbot woke the troops up and from that point on they dominated in puck possession, shots on goal, and chances. Despite their efforts they could only get 1 by a goalie who was standing on his head.

What was the name of the goalie that played for the Oilers a few years ago and broke a record for saves in a single game? He was from Spruce Grove/Stony Plain I believe. That was 1 of the worst games ever played by the Oilers and we still won. Some nights you can't beat a hot goalie.

58thecat
10-08-2017, 08:07 AM
If they're rebuilding, they should hire Kevin Lowe.
Then they could do it for 10 years.

The Oilers are my team but they just played like they didn't care until the last minute and then it was too late.
Even Talbot looked bad. He let in a couple that should have never got past him.

two that slipped by...momentum swings and Canucks had confidence...mcdavid had a shadow too..no one took care of the shadow...good for my canucks:sHa_shakeshout:

fitzy
10-08-2017, 08:40 AM
The Oilers had 20 crappy minutes last night. 19 minutes of the 1st period and the 1st minute of the 2nd. Pulling Talbot woke the troops up and from that point on they dominated in puck possession, shots on goal, and chances. Despite their efforts they could only get 1 by a goalie who was standing on his head.

What was the name of the goalie that played for the Oilers a few years ago and broke a record for saves in a single game? He was from Spruce Grove/Stony Plain I believe. That was 1 of the worst games ever played by the Oilers and we still won. Some nights you can't beat a hot goalie.

I disagree. 2 bad periods and 1 mediocre 1 isn't going to cut in this league anymore. Yeah goalie was hot but LB kept us in the game to give the boys a chance.

brendan's dad
10-08-2017, 08:54 AM
I disagree. 2 bad periods and 1 mediocre 1 isn't going to cut in this league anymore. Yeah goalie was hot but LB kept us in the game to give the boys a chance.

The final score was 3-2. The puck spent the final 5 minutes in the Vancouver crease. It wasn't the Oilers best game by any means and they will need to play a full 60 minutes to win hockey games, but we didn't get beat 10-1, like last years Champs.

bessiedog
10-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Yyyup!

The boys need to wake up. No more dipsy doodle defense exits with the puck!!

Bennington!
Russel!

Yah... you two silly goombahs!

Baby Nuge played a great game! Lucic needs to realize he's got time with the puck.
Kass did great!

McJesus better get used to having a Tikkanen follow him around a hack the crap out of him all game...... boy he was mad.

Coach is going to chew them one today.

But Hey hey!
We got a real backup goalie..... he played a very very fine game.

Trochu
10-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I thought McDavid on a crappy team would be enough to put them over the edge, maybe I was wrong. Even went so far as to pick Talbot in my pool.

Twisted Canuck
10-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Nice to see the Oilers dominating every aspect of the game again, except the scoreboard. But, it was 'just the Jets'.....

Probably just a statistical anomaly, to lose to a couple of 'inferior' teams in a row like that. :)

Talking moose
10-09-2017, 11:17 PM
Nice to see the Oilers dominating every aspect of the game again, except the scoreboard. But, it was 'just the Jets'.....

Probably just a statistical anomaly, to lose to a couple of 'inferior' teams in a row like that. :)

Agreed. To play 3 inferior teams already and only leave with 2 points is a bad start.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 04:49 AM
seems kind of quiet on here this morning.

Sundancefisher
10-10-2017, 05:55 AM
Cricket...cricket...cricket.

I am one that hopes for a strong Oiler and Flames team.

Right now Oilers seem to have neglected fixing the "lack of effort" disease that has always plagued the oilers.

Twisted Canuck
10-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Agreed. To play 3 inferior teams already and only leave with 2 points is a bad start.

Right? A bad start. Yeah. And even more embarrassing than expected. They just need McDavid to wake up and save them, because they aren't making the playoffs any other way except on his back. Even though the whole team dominates every aspect of the game. Unless they don't.

bessiedog
10-10-2017, 08:09 AM
whoa.... wha happend...?

I had this terrible dream that th mighty Oil started reading their own press and figured once again that they could win gaes because they were 'just that good'.....

Then they played WinterPeg..... and got schooled on a pure effort counter attack...

....waitaminute........ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Man... monday just slapped me hard.

we sucked last night.

no effort... no drive. No defence.

Cmon boys!! pick it up!!

HoytCRX32
10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Bwaaahaaaaahaaaaaa!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Now that's a good, legit response Bessie. Good on you for calling it straight, and not even mentioning any other Alberta team.

It's early still, the Oilers can turn it around. And they better, because a kid like McDavid deserves team mates that play their guts out like he does.

HoytCRX32
10-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Now that's a good, legit response Bessie. Good on you for calling it straight, and not even mentioning any other Alberta team.

It's early still, the Oilers can turn it around. And they better, because a kid like McDavid deserves team mates that play their guts out like he does.

But he has Leon Draisaitl!!!! :snapoutofit::sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
10-10-2017, 08:41 AM
But he has Leon Draisaitl!!!! :snapoutofit::sHa_shakeshout:

Apparently the rest of the league didn't get the memo about them. :)

bessiedog
10-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Laugh whilst ya can boys.

We all know how this ends....

And it ain't with Oil fans doin the crying.

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.

Twisted Canuck
10-10-2017, 03:40 PM

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.

Excuse for what, shutting down the Ducks? Getting 6 points combined in the Jets win? As for young forwards, I think we have it pretty good with Tkachuk, Johnny, Bennett, Monahan, Lazar....and enough fairly young seasoned guys like Frolik and Versteeg to give some maturity.

It's pretty early in the season to be prognosticating about how she will all turn out. If you go by the first 3 games, Oilers are on pace for an 54 point season, and Flames are on pace for a 108 points season. I'm sure not placing bets on that! Lets just see how it plays out. Really, I don't have much energy for being a hater, I just enjoy the game.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 03:44 PM

We still got a young D
Young forwards.

Your D got no excuse.

How does it end? Judging by the Oilers success, or lack of, with all of those #1 picks, I think it's all speculation at this point.

sgill808
10-10-2017, 03:55 PM
How does it end? Judging by the Oilers success, or lack of, with all of those #1 picks, I think it's all speculation at this point.

Give them a break. Theyre in the middle of there 25 year rebuild.

jstubbs
10-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Defense badly needs Sekera back. Lines of Klef/Larsson, Sekera/Russell, Nurse/Benning are a much better fit than they are now. Benning is drowning on the second pairing and Russell isn't doing a whole lot better without having a solid workhorse like Sekera being the other half.

Forwards I'm not overly worried about yet. Not here to make excuses on their behalf, but there's been a lot of line shuffling and everyone needs a bit of time to gel and figure out who works best with who.

PP first line is identical to last year (which was pretty lethal), but has been abysmal so far. Multiple chances and still yet to convert one. Guys aren't moving and reacting nearly fast enough, and can't make any good cross ice passes. Too much floating the puck around the perimeter and throwing the puck into clogged up shooting lanes.

Goaltending is more voodoo than anything else. Talbot played great in the first game, horrible in the second, and only marginally better (but still sub-par) in the game last night. That said, Oilers sure hung him out to dry a few times last night as well. Brutal. Brossoit certainly looked good in his relief of Talbot on Saturday, however. I'd give him the next start.

I wonder what Chiarelli is going to do about the defense situation. It was a bold gamble to wait till the regular season began to see what the dcorp was made of instead of trading during the off season, and it's a gamble that hasn't really paid off at all. Now all 30 other teams see that we desperately need a top 4 dman, ideally RHD, and just like that we're trading from a position of pure weakness. Had he traded in the off season before our dcorp struggles become illuminated, may have been able to pick a guy up for cheap. Still wish it could have been something like Eberle + (maybe Bear and a pick?) for Strome and Hamonic.

Vegas has a plethora of defense. I'd guess that if Chiarelli makes a move on a dman, it'll be from them. Speaking of which, I personally think Shea Theodore is going to be a stud in a few years. Might be worth a shot to take a look at him.

Twisted Canuck
10-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Hamonic looks pretty good where he is at...:)

Jamie
10-14-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't understand why no one is posting on this thread??????????????????????

Scott N
10-15-2017, 04:52 AM

They are still planning the Stanley Cup parade route after game 1 of the season. No one told them they had to show up for the rest of the games.

sgill808
10-15-2017, 07:57 AM
After their loss to two great teams, the canucks and jets... they had a week off to regroup. Came back swinging in a close 6-1 loss to the Sens.

lmtada
10-15-2017, 08:53 AM
After their loss to two great teams, the canucks and jets... they had a week off to regroup. Came back swinging in a close 6-1 loss to the Sens.

Wow 6-1. Missed that game. Oilers off slow start. :sign0176:

colt-44
10-15-2017, 11:41 AM
This is just a reality check for Oiler fans . They just figured out the Oilers can't win all 82 games ..lol...Is McDavid having a slow start or is this long term for him and the team ? hmmmmmm

jstubbs
10-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Not sure why they have played like bums the last three games, but something to consider is their on ice PDO. PDO is a stat that adds a team's SV% and SH% percentage. For the entire league, SV% + SH% will equal 1.00 because they're obviously the opposite of each other. Whenever a point is added to someone's SH%, the goalie score on will have a point taken off of their SV%.

Over the long run (as in a season or more), almost all team's PDO will hover around 100, with teams that are genuinely really good being slightly above, and teams that are truly awful are slightly below. For some reference numbers, the 1980s Oilers, considered to be some of the greatest team's to ever touch the ice, generally had around a 1.05 PDO for the season. Last years #1 team in the regular season, Washington Capitals, who went 55-19-8, had a PDO of 1.204 The 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche, who were one of the worst teams seen in the last while in the NHL with a record of 22-56-4, had a season PDO of 0.972.

Essentially, PDO is a good short term measure of puck luck. It's usually said that in the short run (~10-20 games or so), a team with a PDO below 0.98 is generally receiving poor puck luck or in a slump, and is usually bound to have their luck turn. A team with a PDO of 1.02 or higher is usually receiving insane puck luck and bound to regress and come back down to earth (Think of CBJ and their giant win streak, then mediocre remainder of the season). Of course, again, teams that are really good will have a higher PDO (like Washington), but for teams that aren't extremely good or extremely bad, it's a useful tool.

Four games into the season, the 2017-18 Oilers have a PDO of 0.951. Take out the 3-0 win over Calgary, and it's even lower. The team has an average SH% of 5.2% verses the league average of 9.5%. Yes, the team has had some poor effort periods and some downright ugly defensive plays, but they've also generated some really nice chances but just couldn't convert. Talbot has been way off his game as well.

That all said, there's no excuse. This team needs to figure its crap out and figure it out fast.

Twisted Canuck
10-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Could you please explain those statistical short hand terms you are using, not to be ignorant but I actually am. I know stats are The Holy Writ of sports, but other than the very basics I don't really care....but I found your analysis interesting. Thanks, TC

jstubbs
10-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Could you please explain those statistical short hand terms you are using, not to be ignorant but I actually am. I know stats are The Holy Writ of sports, but other than the very basics I don't really care....but I found your analysis interesting. Thanks, TC

I don't put a lot of faith into the "fancy stats" world either but I find some statistics interesting to look at to help explain what is going on beyond what the eye immediately sees.

Not sure which terms you're unfamiliar with, SV% refers to save percentage, SH% refers to shooting percentage. PDO I don't believe actually stands for anything besides it being the online handle of whoever created the statistic (PDO is also referred to as just SVSH% because of that).

colt-44
10-15-2017, 01:28 PM
fancy stats , should we shoot or make a save ..just kidding . the real stat is the Oilers have lost 3 in row and to the not so elite teams .. now they start a run of even better opponents .... what's your thoughts as to what is the problem and can they turn it around quickly ....

Twisted Canuck
10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
I don't put a lot of faith into the "fancy stats" world either but I find some statistics interesting to look at to help explain what is going on beyond what the eye immediately sees.

Not sure which terms you're unfamiliar with, SV% refers to save percentage, SH% refers to shooting percentage. PDO I don't believe actually stands for anything besides it being the online handle of whoever created the statistic (PDO is also referred to as just SVSH% because of that).

Save and shots, right, thanks....I guess I should have figured that out. Now it makes perfect sense. Other than the Oilers sucking wind so badly to start season.

Yes, stats don't always mean much. I remember the commentators last year saying that the teams with the highest percentage of face off wins were all in bottom of divisions, and the teams with worst face off were in the top. So, they don't always mean much. Like getting 5 first overall pics in a few years. :)

colt-44
10-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Ooooooohh

You get yer digs in while ya can boys!

That wagons way too crowded for me, what with all them latte sipping Bankers Hall slouchers jumping on.

Thou shall keep the faith ..... and McJesus will deliver us from the valley of shadow....

Amen

at least Bessie Prays ....

223MB
10-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Zero confidence + no chemistry is a dangerous path to lead down. If they don't turn this around ASAP this could turn into a season breaking skid that will haunt them come march when the games are much tougher to win.

sgill808
10-15-2017, 01:51 PM
fancy stats , should we shoot or make a save ..just kidding . the real stat is the Oilers have lost 3 in row and to the not so elite teams .. now they start a run of even better opponents .... what's your thoughts as to what is the problem and can they turn it around quickly ....

The problem is they suck.

Don K
10-15-2017, 02:35 PM
They aren't playing very well. They will likely turn it around...
Go Flames!

lmtada
10-15-2017, 02:37 PM
One more win. Edmonton will be at .500. Not ready write them off yet (like many naysayers on this forum). :argue2:

Trochu
10-15-2017, 02:39 PM
One more win. Edmonton will be at .500. Not ready write them off yet (like many naysayers on this forum). :argue2:

Yea, its pretty early yet. I generally don't start getting too excited till they are about 20 games in.

colt-44
10-15-2017, 02:43 PM

LOL... well you're close , it's 2 more wins to get back to .500 .there's no fans on here so the Naysayers , rule ....

Moose lips and Bessie have gone to recollect maybe or GIVE up ....:sHa_shakeshout:

jstubbs
10-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Zero confidence + no chemistry is a dangerous path to lead down.

Don't forget Talbot playing really shaky (although as seen by last year year, he plays best when playing a lot, the big four day gap between games hasn't helped much), missing a key defenseman, and having Draisaitl out of the line up for an undetermined length. It could get more ugly before it gets better.

Twisted Canuck
10-15-2017, 03:40 PM
And sunspots. Don't forget those can throw a team right off too...

Rig-Rat
10-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Thats how Oiler Fans work. When they are loosing, it's total crickets.
Soon as they win they start yippin. Be sure to point out your teams mistakes.
If the Oilers were 4-0 this thread would be 8 pages deep by now.

fitzy
10-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Thats how Oiler Fans work. When they are loosing, it's total crickets.
Soon as they win they start yippin. Be sure to point out your teams mistakes.
If the Oilers were 4-0 this thread would be 8 pages deep by now.

Well I for one have been busy and have been on the site very rarely for the last week. The only game I really got to watch was the slaughter in the Calgary game and the stink show last night in between making wings at the Legion.

Might come as a shock but this forum isn't the highest priority in the land to most.

As for Oil fans chirping I'd like to refer you all to the last 10 years of any hockey thread and the slamming that went on by jubilant Flames fans. It goes both ways.

I have total faith the boys will pull it together they've only just started the season, long winter yet.

Just imagine what the Shames would look like if Smith gets hurt and misses a couple months.

bessiedog
10-15-2017, 07:32 PM
You guys are like coyotes..... pile on sumpin when theres a bit of weakness showin.

It was opening day pheasants down here.... with 100km/h winds. Good times!!! I wuz doin outdoor stuff.... try it smetime ;) .

Drai out hurts... big time. Our defense could be mediocre if we get some farm hands up and turf the great French experiment.

Gryba needs to only be in when the other team is big.

We need a REAL 2nd line forward whose a perceived threat. I don't think the boys realize that they now only have a one line threat.

Pretty easy to defend against.

Get a serious R forwatrd threat.... and then we'll roll hard over this league!!

Either way... I guarantee we'll stomp the shames every time we see them this season.

Oh..... mullet man showed real well last night lolololol. ..... 'Gimme a push Mullet!"

Go mighty OIl!

save us Mcjesus...... please deliver us from purgetory

propliner
10-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Mullet man was on the bench cracking jokes with the boys and having fun last night. And winning.

The Coiler kids were all wound up like cheap watches. I felt sorry for them.

sjr
10-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Its a lot like your wedding night , its not about on how you start but on how you finish :snapoutofit:
If they could only find a way to light a fire under Lucic butt .....:thinking-006:

drhu22
10-15-2017, 09:42 PM
You guys are like coyotes..... pile on sumpin when theres a bit of weakness showin.It was opening day pheasants down here.... with 100km/h winds. Good times!!! I wuz doin outdoor stuff.... try it smetime ;) .
Drai out hurts... big time. Our defense could be mediocre if we get some farm hands up and turf the great French experiment.
Gryba needs to only be in when the other team is big.
We need a REAL 2nd line forward whose a perceived threat. I don't think the boys realize that they now only have a one line threat.
Pretty easy to defend against.
Get a serious R forwatrd threat.... and then we'll roll hard over this league!!
Either way... I guarantee we'll stomp the shames every time we see them this season.Oh..... mullet man showed real well last night lolololol. ..... 'Gimme a push Mullet!"Go mighty OIl!save us Mcjesus...... please deliver us from purgetory

You are just too arrogant about your beloved oilers not to give you the gears when you lose.

I hope you are enjoying the start of your season.

bessiedog
10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
No offense meant by my posts I hope.

Just team smack talk is all.

I can take the pile on.

...... and the flames will go down in such!

Go Oil!

colt-44
10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

I can take the pile on.

Go Oil!

it's all fun , enjoy it .... Edmonton needs fans like you

drhu22
10-15-2017, 10:27 PM
No offense meant by my posts I hope.Just team smack talk is all.I can take the pile on....... and the flames will go down in such!
Go Oil!

I get that its in fun, I hope you're an Eskimos fan too (joking).

Re Flames... I'm pretty sure they have the Western conference wrapped up.

colt-44
10-15-2017, 10:35 PM
I get that its in fun, I hope you're an Eskimos fan too.

Re Flames... I'm pretty sure they have the Western conference wrapped up.

lol, good one

brslk
10-16-2017, 02:37 AM
Man, we have season tickets and were at that game. It was awful. Half the crowd left midway through the third.
Talbot was terrible. Everyone of them were terrible. It was like they went out drinking the night before and were hungover.
They were missing passes, skating around in groups of three...
I hope the coach made them walk home after that debacle.
They need to get their *&^% together and play like they actually give a %^&*

We have three seat and we brought my wife's sister along. I felt bad for her having to sit through that game.

I don't drink anymore so that didn't help anything... I might have to start doing meth if I have to sit through any more games like that.

I've been an Oilers fan for a long time and always will be but man... They don't make it easy.

HoytCRX32
10-16-2017, 07:23 AM
If Talbot isn't standing on his head like he did last year the Oilers are very vulnerable...he made a big difference last year, and he's already been pulled twice...guys are gripping the sticks too hard...McJesus is getting rattled....in the Vancouver loss, Brandon Sutter was on him like flies on poo...threw him off...this is going to happen at every rink where the other teams get to match lines.
Don't want to say I'm loving this but I'm loving this...idjits at TSN had the Oilers winning the West...now all they can do is harp on about Matthews.

Go Flames!

roper1
10-16-2017, 10:21 PM

I can take the pile on.

Go Oil!

No offense taken, all in good fun, misguided though you are....:)

colt-44
10-16-2017, 10:31 PM
No offense taken, all in good fun, misguided though you are....:)

a gooder :)

sgill808
10-17-2017, 06:40 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-place-forward-leon-draisaitl-injured-reserve/

HoytCRX32
10-17-2017, 07:29 AM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-place-forward-leon-draisaitl-injured-reserve/

8.5 million well spent :sHa_shakeshout:

brendan's dad
10-17-2017, 09:05 AM
8.5 million well spent :sHa_shakeshout:

At least he is not out for getting a little tap on the hands. That being said, I haven't seen Miss Johnny do the "my hand is on fire" routine yet this year.

sgill808
10-17-2017, 09:08 AM
At least he is not out for getting a little tap on the hands. That being said, I haven't seen Miss Johnny do the "my hand is on fire" routine yet this year.

That's because he blends in. The whole team is on fire :sHa_shakeshout:

HoytCRX32
10-17-2017, 09:14 AM

Tsk tsk...."Little Johnny" is 7th overall for points with 9....where might McJesus and Draisitl be on that list?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

brendan's dad
10-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Tsk tsk...."Little Johnny" is 7th overall for points with 9....where might McJesus and Draisitl be on that list?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If you want to put a friendly wager on points total for the season, name the amount. I will even take Draisitl to give you a fighting chance; even with his slow start and concussion.

Scott N
10-17-2017, 10:16 AM
If you want to put a friendly wager on points total for the season, name the amount. I will even take Draisitl to give you a fighting chance; even with his slow start and concussion.

Dude, you need to lighten up. You take this hockey stuff way too seriously! You'll give yourself a stroke if your team doesn't meet your expectations. Besides, there's another thread to slag the Flames and their fans.

HoytCRX32
10-17-2017, 10:24 AM

You're on...Me with Johnny Hockey, you with Leon the Concussable:fighting0030:...and like Bessie, I am stirring the pot, but all in fun. I remember the days when teams hated to come to Alberta, as they would get their butts kicked in both cities.

Jamie
10-17-2017, 10:42 AM
So, who is the possible number one choice in the draft this year?

HoytCRX32
10-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Whoever it is, Edmonton will do their best to get him:sHa_sarcasticlol:

brendan's dad
10-17-2017, 12:02 PM
You're on...Me with Johnny Hockey, you with Leon the Concussable:fighting0030:...and like Bessie, I am stirring the pot, but all in fun. I remember the days when teams hated to come to Alberta, as they would get their butts kicked in both cities.

Deal. How about the loser donates $50 to the winner's charity of choice, maybe outdoors related like the ABA or AHIEA?

HoytCRX32
10-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Deal. How about the loser donates $50 to the winner's charity of choice, maybe outdoors related like the ABA or AHIEA?

Sounds good!:happy0180:

lmtada
10-17-2017, 12:51 PM
The looser has to group hunt with the winners group. Provide all beer/pizza, animal hauling/cleaning for the week. :sHa_shakeshout:

fitzy
10-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Not the start I was hoping for.

kevinhits
10-17-2017, 07:52 PM
3 zip Carolina.....Reminds me of the Flames start last season:sHa_sarcasticlol:

huntsfurfish
10-17-2017, 08:25 PM

yikes:cry: :sick: :o

Still lots of time left though.:)

Not the start I was hoping for either.

Sides, only have to make the playoffs to win the Stanley cup.:sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
10-17-2017, 08:57 PM

When do Oilers fans stop living in the past and face the reality of today? Just curious. Good luck in the third, still 20 minutes to stop sucking and pull off your second win of the season....

Good goal by Letestu. Is that French for 'the testicle'?:)

Edit...yeah, give up a short hand goal, that'll put one in the Win column...:lol:

fitzy
10-17-2017, 09:20 PM
When do Oilers fans stop living in the past and face the reality of today? Just curious. Good luck in the third, still 20 minutes to stop sucking and pull off your second win of the season....

Edit...yeah, give up a short hand goal, that'll put one in the Win column...:lol:

What's with bashing Oil fans? I get busting balls about the team but the fans??

Make fun of Canucks fans they burned a car lol

roper1
10-17-2017, 09:26 PM
One thing about it they only have one way to go-Up. Lol. They're gonna have a new coach if this doesn't turn around, methinks McClelland has until about game 20. The real problem is still above him..........

Twisted Canuck
10-17-2017, 09:28 PM
What's with bashing Oil fans? I get busting balls about the team but the fans??

Make fun of Canucks fans they burned a car lol

Just responding to a comment made about the Flames last season...purely an observation. :)

Well, Oilers had 53 shots and dominated every aspect of the game again.....except for one.

HVA7mm
10-17-2017, 09:39 PM
51 SOG, although it didn't look like it, you can't say that they didn't try.

Twisted Canuck
10-17-2017, 09:39 PM
On pace for a 32 point season....:scared0018:

fitzy
10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
One thing about it they only have one way to go-Up. Lol. They're gonna have a new coach if this doesn't turn around, methinks McClelland has until about game 20. The real problem is still above him..........

He took them from bottom 5, 5 years straight to round 2 of the playoffs. He's safe.

fitzy
10-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Just responding to a comment made about the Flames last season...purely an observation. :)

Well, Oilers had 53 shots and dominated every aspect of the game again.....except for one.

I seem to recall the Flames had a bad start didn't they? I didn't see anything there to hurt your feelings but they're bound to be sensitive being the 2nd best team for nearly 40 years lol

roper1
10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
He took them from bottom 5, 5 years straight to round 2 of the playoffs. He's safe.

With luck we won't have to test my theory, we'll have a great rivalry again, & of course Calgary will kick them to the golf course first round.........:sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
10-17-2017, 09:49 PM
I seem to recall the Flames had a bad start didn't they? I didn't see anything there to hurt your feelings but they're bound to be sensitive being the 2nd best team for nearly 40 years lol

Pretty sure my feelings aren't hurt. :) And they did make the playoffs, so there is hope for Oilers. Sort of.

kevinhits
10-18-2017, 05:56 AM

I am actually a Flames fan:)

I should of reworded it differently:test:

Reaver
10-18-2017, 09:34 AM

LOL that's pretty good.

colt-44
10-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Just asking Oiler fans at this point , but is the doubt creeping in ? Just a little , as to how good your team is . Even further is the cup getting a slippery feeling and making the playoff's kind of a hope now ?

I'm sure Bessie ,Moose and dad can add ...curious

brendan's dad
10-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Game 1 shots on goal were 45 to 27

Game 2 35 to 26

Game 3 was the only game we were out shot but we still had 39 to Winnipeg's 43

Game 4 36 to 31

and

Game 5 was 51 to 21

I am not worried about the whole team, but goal tending has been a definite issue at both ends of the rink. What I mean by that is that in addition to Talbot sucking, it seems the opposition goalies are playing lights out. Even in our win, Smith was unreal. Ward had his best game in years and Vancouver and Winnipeg goalie's were both coming off embarrassing losses played excellent against the Oilers.

Also it seems our defense is having lapses and I feel we should have pushed for a top 3 d-man in the off season like Calgary did. Especially knowing that Sekera was out for 2-3 months. We are a young team that can afford to deal off a few future draft picks. If we tighten up the defense and Talbot battles through this, the wins will start coming. Only 5 game into the season, so I not ruling out the playoffs quite yet but thanks for your compassionate concern :happy0034:

bessiedog
10-18-2017, 06:06 PM
I'm not worried one friggin bit!

We're just workin out the kinks and doin a rope a dope on the rest of the league.

The crush is comin. It's a comin I tell ya!

colt-44
10-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Game 2 35 to 26

Game 4 36 to 31

and

Game 5 was 51 to 21

I am not worried about the whole team, but goal tending has been a definite issue at both ends of the rink. What I mean by that is that in addition to Talbot sucking, it seems the opposition goalies are playing lights out. Even in our win, Smith was unreal. Ward had his best game in years and Vancouver and Winnipeg goalie's were both coming off embarrassing losses played excellent against the Oilers.

Also it seems our defense is having lapses and I feel we should have pushed for a top 3 d-man in the off season like Calgary did. Especially knowing that Sekera was out for 2-3 months. We are a young team that can afford to deal off a few future draft picks. If we tighten up the defense and Talbot battles through this, the wins will start coming. Only 5 game into the season, so I not ruling out the playoffs quite yet but thanks for your compassionate concern :happy0034:

just some hockey intel is ... Shots on goal don't count unless they GO in .....lol ..but I know what you're saying :)

colt-44
10-18-2017, 06:20 PM

We're just workin out the kinks and doin a rope a dope on the rest of the league.

ok lol.. the most hated hockey jerseys in the NHL ... even you guys say so ..but all that aside I worry for your LONG winter .... first draft NOOOO

Twisted Canuck
10-18-2017, 06:42 PM

It's a very convincing rope a dope too!:) but honestly I'm looking forward to McDavid getting his game back on, he's a beauty to watch.

Jamie
10-19-2017, 12:38 AM

Was that a bit early to ask?????

Perhaps next week...

Just so you know, I am severely ****ed at the Oilers this year.. I actually picked some of them on my pool and picked the team on a nightly basis....
Not happy but yet I am.. Kinda confused.. I guess this is what its like to be a Oiler/Eskimo fan... Confused and disappointed...
Those new bright orange jersey are going show up really well on the ice when they start falling from the stands.....

HoytCRX32
10-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Game 2 35 to 26

Game 4 36 to 31

and

Game 5 was 51 to 21

When you tie up your entire cap space in 2....wait...3 players (I forgot good OLD Milan), the rest of the team will suffer.....Talbot was amazing LAST year...now...meh

No option but to try to trade your way out....good luck!

brendan's dad
10-19-2017, 08:07 AM
When you tie up your entire cap space in 2....wait...3 players (I forgot good OLD Milan), the rest of the team will suffer.....Talbot was amazing LAST year...now...meh

No option but to try to trade your way out....good luck!

They have 8.5 million in cap space in addition to the 1.5 or 2 million going the other way with draft picks. They definitely could have picked up a 5-6 million d-man.

Trochu
10-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Game 2 35 to 26

Game 4 36 to 31

and

Game 5 was 51 to 21

I haven't seen any of the games, but I've heard a radio host comment on the shot counter, and perhaps they are a bit more generous as to what constitutes a "shot" than most.

HoytCRX32
10-19-2017, 08:26 AM
They have 8.5 million in cap space in addition to the 1.5 or 2 million going the other way with draft picks. They definitely could have picked up a 5-6 million d-man.

Sorry...I shouldn't have used "cap space"...my point is that the majority of your team salary is tied up in three players...makes it hard to get three reasonable lines, let alone 4.

The moose
10-19-2017, 09:33 AM
I haven't seen any of the games, but I've heard a radio host comment on the shot counter, and perhaps they are a bit more generous as to what constitutes a "shot" than most.

The shot counter has been very generous. This comes from more then one source. Also Mcdavids phantom assist from last game.

Talbot coming back to earth was inevitable.

Jamie
10-19-2017, 10:10 AM

As I understand it, its a league wide initiative to bring a common standard to every arena.
What didn't used to count now does. Rollers, long icings, if it had a chance of going in, they count it.

Jamie

fitzy
10-19-2017, 08:21 PM
That McDavid pass though! :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

fitzy
10-19-2017, 09:18 PM
I'll take that game all day. Defense still looks shaky but solid road win for the boys.

bessiedog
10-19-2017, 09:18 PM
And the domination starts!!!

Talbots back!!!

We kicked em hard!

Atts da way boys!!!!

Go Oil !!!!!!

Trochu
10-19-2017, 09:20 PM
They won! :eek:
And scored on the power play.

McDavid had 24:37 of ice time, thats alot.

sgill808
10-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Congratulations guys. You guys doubled your points in a single game!

huntsfurfish
10-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Talbots back!!!

We kicked em hard!

Atts da way boys!!!!

Go Oil !!!!!!

x2:sHa_shakeshout:

fitzy
10-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Congratulations guys. You guys doubled your points in a single game!

Lol only 4 points back.

Twisted Canuck
10-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Talbots back!!!

We kicked em hard!

Atts da way boys!!!!

Go Oil !!!!!!

I just love you Oilers fans, the exuberance is hard to match....:) The way you describe it hardly sounds like an overtime win that could have gone either way.

Congrats on the second win of the season. Let the domination in every aspect of the game continue. :sHa_shakeshout:

Dark Wing
10-19-2017, 10:27 PM

Talbots back!!!

We kicked em hard!

Atts da way boys!!!!

Go Oil !!!!!!

LOL Your AO's Rod Phillips. Good game ! They seem to play better against red jerseys.

lmtada
10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Heard Mcdavid made a nice play. Go to YouTube to have look.

https://youtu.be/VM1RglgsT-Y

hayseed
10-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Was a sweet goal....

does it ALL outdoors
10-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Just asking Oiler fans at this point , but is the doubt creeping in ? Just a little , as to how good your team is . Even further is the cup getting a slippery feeling and making the playoff's kind of a hope now ?

I'm sure Bessie ,Moose and dad can add ...curious

Nope, not for a second, we arnt fair weathered fans like down south that couldn't even sell out the first playoff game last year. We don't expect to win the cup, we just cheer and hope.

Is it embarrassing that the shames couldn't muster one single win against us last year? Or one single goal in our only game this year?

How many cups did you win in our decade of darkness? How many in the last two decades? Zero, because the flames sucked too, just slightly less. Maybe you can win one game against us this year, or win one game in the playoffs.

Perhaps the shames can sign another 50 yr old to play on the top line :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Trochu
10-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Is it embarrassing that the shames couldn't muster one single win against us last year? Or one single goal in our only game this year?

Nope, not really. The Oilers were a good team last year and played a good first game.

sgill808
10-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Nope, not for a second, we arnt fair weathered fans like down south that couldn't even sell out the first playoff game last year. We don't expect to win the cup, we just cheer and hope.

How many cups did you win in our decade of darkness? How many in the last two decades? Zero, because the flames sucked too, just slightly less. Maybe you can win one game against us this year, or win one game in the playoffs.

Perhaps the shames can sign another 50 yr old to play on the top line :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Congratulations on your second win of the season. You guys are the underdog.

Scott N
10-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Congratulations on your second win of the season. You guys are the underdog.

Might be November until win # 3.

35 whelen
10-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Another tough loss for the Oilers love it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

chedder
10-21-2017, 03:37 PM
"Nope, not for a second, we arnt fair weathered fans like down south that couldn't even sell out the first playoff game last year. We don't expect to win the cup, we just cheer and hope."

Say what!?! From throwing jerseys on the ice a year and a half ago to planning the parade this summer. Stop listening to all the hype from the worst homer sports reporters in the country in Spector and Staples.

El-Brento
10-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Man it sucks for Oilers fans now, after all the top picks AND McJesus, they still seem to need the flu to run through the rest of the league or something to get some wins.

50BMG
10-21-2017, 06:30 PM
The Oilers need to realize that hard work wins in this league. They need to have the fundementals of passing, shooting, hitting, and skating drilled into them. Until that happens, they'll flounder. Just a short ten more losses, and the playoffs will be out of reach.

But another high draft pick will be in sight....

Haven't we seen this movie before?

The moose
10-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Crickets.

Twisted Canuck
10-25-2017, 07:46 AM
C'mon boys, they still got a point!

'Let's go OIlers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap......

sgill808
10-25-2017, 07:48 AM
C'mon boys, they still got a point!

'Let's go OIlers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap......

That's that "total domination" piece kicking in.

Twisted Canuck
10-25-2017, 07:49 AM
That's that "total domination" piece kicking in.

In every aspect of the game. :)

bessiedog
10-25-2017, 08:08 AM
You guy's r NUTZ!

We had those silly skating birds.... three goals that seriously shoulda!.... They really should have been in!

That's just bad luck. We went for stretches where we were in their end and the other team wandered around like the flightless critters on their jerseys..! (Pretty sure I heard a distinct "brrrraaaappgagagagagck! noise at one point)

Coach had a brain cramp..... don't send slow Loooch out in overtime. Send baby Nuge and one of the little speedy kids out and we'd have the extra point.

We got this. It was a good road trip against some of the best teams out there.

Keep chirping you no good cattle fraternizers...... You'll be feeding around the bottom by xmas.

and we will be closer to the promised land!

Go OIL!!!!

What is the difference between a Calgary Flames fan and a pot hole?
A: I swerve to avoid pot holes!

The moose
10-25-2017, 09:16 AM
I think your confused bessie. Bottom feeding is the promised land for the oilers! 1st OA draft pick Baby! Oilers feeling right at home in their current spot.

Trochu
10-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Pretty soon, its going to be too late.

Right now they are 2-5-1 for 5 points.

Assuming 95 points are required to make the playoffs, they need 90 pts in 74 games. So, they are going to need to go 45-29. Am I doing that right, 16 games above .500 to make the playoffs? Not impossible by any stretch, but that is a tough hill to climb.

50BMG
10-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Yep, that's what I mentioned in an earlier post. Probably only 7 or 8 more losses and they'll be pretty much done for making the playoffs.

Roderek
10-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Yep, that's what I mentioned in an earlier post. Probably only 7 or 8 more losses and they'll be pretty much done for making the playoffs.

As much as I wish this was true, its still early.

The flames went 3-8-1 last year in October and 5-6-1 in November, and we still made the playoffs.

The stats are against a team if they are outside the playoffs by US Thanksgiving but it is still possible.
a quick 5-7 game win streak will erase and get them back on pace.

Talbot appears to have found his game so that should help you out a bit.

Walleyedude
10-25-2017, 10:40 AM
3 pts on that road trip that included CHI and last year's Cup champs, especially if you look at how they played compared to the first 4-5 games is a pretty good result IMHO. Plenty to build off of, and two key players back in the lineup.

Making the playoffs seems like it should be easy, if you win 3 outta 5 (.600) games all year long, that's about 98 pts, and pretty much guarantees a playoff spot. The problem is, in today's NHL, that's NOT easy to do lol.

They're 2.5 outta 6 now. It's a long season. Win 15.5 of the next 24 (.640) and you're right back where you need to be in a comfortable playoff spot. Tough road for sure, but it only takes one good 5-6 game win streak and some consistent play during the rest and you're there.

I agree with the comment about US Thanksgiving, if they aren't on the major upswing or in a playoff spot by then, it's not impossible, but it'll be a tough slog.

sgill808
10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
For any of you Oiler's fans who celebrate US Thanksgiving, I would like to share this with you:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

A good conversation piece while you are enjoying your turkey :).

fitzy
10-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Really should have had that Pittsburgh game. Couple wide open nets haunting them today I bet.

I love how happy the Flames fans get when Edmonton loses lol. Must be tough carrying that little brother complex around all the time :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'd love to have anybody from the top 5 picks. Fill some gaps.. I don't want to watch them get them though lol.

Twisted Canuck
10-25-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm only happy about the Oilers losing because I get to come and read all the posts from the Oilers fans about 'coulda shoulda woulda'....and I have to say, I like how good a sport Bessie is about it, on my part its all in good fun.

Really, I'd like to see them winning, I have no issues with McDavid lighting up that franchise and making it great. I feel bad that he is saddled with those guys a bit, but hopefully he can whip them into shape, as the coach sure doesn't seem to be able to. I hope they do turn it around, and we have some Canadian teams in the playoffs again this year. The Cup has been south of the border for too long. Hell, I'll even cheer for those Leafs to win a Cup again!

But mostly, I'm just hoping the Flames have a good game tonight against those Blues. :)

fitzy
10-25-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm only happy about the Oilers losing because I get to come and read all the posts from the Oilers fans about 'coulda shoulda woulda'....and I have to say, I like how good a sport Bessie is about it, on my part its all in good fun.

Really, I'd like to see them winning, I have no issues with McDavid lighting up that franchise and making it great. I feel bad that he is saddled with those guys a bit, but hopefully he can whip them into shape, as the coach sure doesn't seem to be able to. I hope they do turn it around, and we have some Canadian teams in the playoffs again this year. The Cup has been south of the border for too long. Hell, I'll even cheer for those Leafs to win a Cup again!

But mostly, I'm just hoping the Flames have a good game tonight against those Blues. :)

Who there.... cheer for the leafs?? Let's not get carried away. Guess it's a small step up from the Canucks but I'm not sure I could do it.

I really want a meaningful battle of Alberta and both teams in it. Love it!! Anybody who get a their feelings hurt is taking things way to serious. The ball busting is all part of the BOA!!!

Either that or they've given up on ever seeing success or joy due to the constant let downs provided by being a Flames fan. Always the bridesmaid .... even the 1 lonely year they won the cup Edmonton had to score on themselves to do it for them. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

JohninAB
10-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Either that or they've given up on ever seeing success or joy due to the constant let downs provided by being a Flames fan. Always the bridesmaid .... even the 1 lonely year they won the cup Edmonton had to score on themselves to do it for them. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

The Steve Smith own goal was in 1986. Flames won the cup in 1989.

In 1989, the Kings and Gretzky eliminated the Oilers in Round 1 if I recall correctly.

Carry on.

fitzy
10-26-2017, 12:56 AM
The Steve Smith own goal was in 1986. Flames won the cup in 1989.

In 1989, the Kings and Gretzky eliminated the Oilers in Round 1 if I recall correctly.

Carry on.

Well .... that's certainly true.

It's 1am. Day has been to long to have a decent come back. Point to you lol

I'll try again tomorrow:scared0018:

JohninAB
10-26-2017, 03:28 AM
Well .... that's certainly true.

It's 1am. Day has been to long to have a decent come back. Point to you lol

I'll try again tomorrow:scared0018:

No worries, people make mistakes. Heck if they didn’t, there would be no Oilers fans at all! :fighting0074:

fitzy
10-26-2017, 07:06 AM
No worries, people make mistakes. Heck if they didn’t, there would be no Oilers fans at all! :fighting0074:

:sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol: well done lol

bessiedog
10-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Oh yea baby!!!!!

We crushed em!

Great hits!

Good fight!

Friggin zebras needed to wake up.

It was never in doubt!!

Luv da Nuge!!!!!

Here we goes boys!

brendan's dad
10-26-2017, 10:04 PM
And finally got a little puck luck around the net and a goalie that didn't have a "performance of the year" type night. With a game in hand and only 3 points behind the Shames, things are looking up!

Twisted Canuck
10-26-2017, 10:08 PM
A one goal 'crushing', and only 3 points behind the Shames (as though that were the team to catch. I guess that's a compliment:))....:lol:. I love you guys, truly.

bessiedog
10-26-2017, 10:12 PM
There's fear in your texting TC!

I can smell the fear!!

Twisted Canuck
10-26-2017, 10:27 PM
There's fear in your texting TC!

I can smell the fear!!

Of what? Hell, I predicted the Oil in the finals and Flames bottom 10 before the season started, I'm already way behind the curve in my prognosticating, but happily. Flames being the unloved red headed stepchild is nothing new. The Oilers being successful would be though.....3-5-1 isn't exactly tearing things up yet Bessie. 7 points out of 18. Any number of ways of saying it, but 'dominating every aspect of the game' isn't probably one of them. :)

Trochu
10-26-2017, 10:36 PM
We crushed em!

More so the fan base sighing in relief and just being happy they won.

The desperation none more evident, when statements like that follow a win which included a:

-.875 SA %;
-A PP that went 0/3;
-A PK that went 2/5; and,
-2 Dallas own goals.

For reference, what you're speaking of, is what LA did to Montreal, Florida to Anaheim, or currently, Vancouver to Washington....

bessiedog
10-27-2017, 06:50 AM
There ya guys go....

Bringing up facts again....

Sheesh

Mighty Oil! Gonna run ya over!

Go Oil!

bessiedog
10-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Sports isn't a math test...!

GO OIL!!

Here's the thing that makes life so interesting: The Theory of Evolution claims that "only the strong shall survive." Maybe so, maybe so. But the Theory of Competition says "just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their a***s kicked." That's right.
See, what every long-shot, come-from-behind underdog will tell you is this: The other guy may in fact be the favorite; the odds may be stacked against you. Fair enough ...

But what the odds don't know is this isn't a math test. This is a completely different kind of test. One where passion has a funny way of trumping logic. So before you step up to the starting line, before the whistle blows and the clock starts ticking, just remember: out here, the results don't always add up.

No matter what the stats may say and the experts may think and the commentators may have predicted, when the race is on, all bets are off. Don't be surprised if someone decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling "uncle". And then suddenly, as the old saying goes, "We got ourselves a game."

Ricki Bobby
10-27-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm jus happy to see them score more than 1 goal and actually win a game.
Next......

50BMG
10-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Time to plan the parade...?

I agree, nice to see them finally score some goals.

Twisted Canuck
10-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Sports isn't a math test...!

GO OIL!!

Here's the thing that makes life so interesting: The Theory of Evolution claims that "only the strong shall survive." Maybe so, maybe so. But the Theory of Competition says "just because they're the strong doesn't mean they can't get their a***s kicked." That's right.
See, what every long-shot, come-from-behind underdog will tell you is this: The other guy may in fact be the favorite; the odds may be stacked against you. Fair enough ...

But what the odds don't know is this isn't a math test. This is a completely different kind of test. One where passion has a funny way of trumping logic. So before you step up to the starting line, before the whistle blows and the clock starts ticking, just remember: out here, the results don't always add up.

No matter what the stats may say and the experts may think and the commentators may have predicted, when the race is on, all bets are off. Don't be surprised if someone decides to flip the script and take a pass on yelling "uncle". And then suddenly, as the old saying goes, "We got ourselves a game."

Uh, but Bessie..? The Oilers weren't considered an under dog. With McDavid and all those other first picks, and Leon, talbot, Lucic and Maroon...weren't you guys kind of favored to go to the finals by the sports commentators? And all the fans? Crapping the bed doesn't make you an under dog, it makes you a disappointment....you have to work on that habit you have of 'spinning', or CBC is going to read your posts and offer you a job as a political commentator.:)

bessiedog
10-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Dude.......

It's all part of the plan.. you'll see.

He hee!

50BMG
10-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Uh, but Bessie..? The Oilers weren't considered an under dog. With McDavid and all those other first picks, and Leon, talbot, Lucic and Maroon...weren't you guys kind of favored to go to the finals by the sports commentators? And all the fans? Crapping the bed doesn't make you an under dog, it makes you a disappointment....you have to work on that habit you have of 'spinning', or CBC is going to read your posts and offer you a job as a political commentator.:)

Best quote in the thread!!

bessiedog
10-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Keep hatin....

You keep hatin...

Little butt sore from Dallas last night I see.

JohninAB
10-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Keep hatin....

You keep hatin...

Little butt sore from Dallas last night I see.

Bessie I know we made that bet oh so many years ago, you remember, the winner got $10 and the loser had to be an Oilers fan?

Well it did not mean you had to be an Oilers fan for life ya know!:fighting0074:

bessiedog
10-28-2017, 10:04 AM
I don't jump on bandwagons..... I drive em!

I gots an extra jersey fer ya Jonno

Lemme know when ya wanna jump on.

sgill808
10-28-2017, 10:45 AM
I didn't want to make another thread... But I am coming to Edmonton for the weekend and was wondering if any of you Edmontonions know where I can get West Ed Water park passes at a discount?

Talking moose
10-28-2017, 04:10 PM
I didn't want to make another thread... But I am coming to Edmonton for the weekend and was wondering if any of you Edmontonions know where I can get West Ed Water park passes at a discount?

I believe if your an AMA member they do. Used to anyway. Fantasy land as well.

Twisted Canuck
10-28-2017, 04:11 PM

That's where a lot of the Oilers fans hang out, no?:scared0018:

Talking moose
10-28-2017, 04:14 PM
That's where a lot of the Oilers fans hang out, no?:scared0018:

Awsome burn!!! Lol :thinking-006:

sgill808
10-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Thank you sir

Dark Wing
10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Ovie was a class act in Edmonton today. Gave his hat and coat to a homeless man:) .

Ricki Bobby
10-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Ovie was a class act in Edmonton today. Gave his hat and coat to a homeless man:) .

Nice

Trochu
10-28-2017, 11:10 PM
Darn it Talbot (guess the team is likely to blame too, but I didn't pick the team), I picked you 10th overall in my pool and your the 13th ranked goalie.

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Whelp....... that sucked.

Boys can't dominate one period and take the rest off.

Goals came on lazy forward coverage needing to come back.

We're being way too cute.....AND we're not crashing the net smart.

Do Wut the canuckleheads did last night and we'd be ok.

Juicy Jokeontheice looks to me like a failed acquisition.

Strome at least is trying...... wishing we coulda kept Ebbs.

I saw we gotta pretty much take the rest of this home stand or things are not gonna be rosy in Oil town.

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Sounds like The Faith is starting to slip Bessie...

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Nope.....

It's trade time!

Gotta do Wut ya gotta do.

We're one defense and one sometimes scoring forward away from dominance.

You'll see

( good thing I didn't throw out them paper bags with eye holes in em though)

spoiledsaskhunter
10-29-2017, 08:50 AM
oh, i'm luvin it............just hope they don't keep this trend going too long tho, 'cause they may end up with another first overall draft pick.

guess even though you hate em, you gotta hope they end the season better than the bottom of the league.

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Oh oh! People are starting to notice!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-nhl-hockey-connor-mcdavid-todd-mclellan-1.4377520

With a 5-2 loss at home Saturday night against the Washington Capitals, the Oilers now have a record of 3-6-1. With seven points, they sit 29th in the standings.

They have scored a total of 22 goals and given up 33.

They have struggled in every way imaginable: in their own zone, in the offensive zone, at even strength, on the penalty kill and on the power play.

There have been too many mistakes, too many lapse and blown assignments, too many nights when the Oilers fell behind and chased the game, too many times when they outshot their opponent and still came out on the losing end.

But don't they know, the Oilers dominate every aspect of the game??:scared:

brendan's dad
10-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Nope.....

It's trade time!

Gotta do Wut ya gotta do.

We're one defense and one sometimes scoring forward away from dominance.

You'll see

( good thing I didn't throw out them paper bags with eye holes in em though)

I said it about 5 games ago that we should have traded some future assets for a number 2 or 3 d-man during the off season. It is going to be a lot more expensive now if we are trying to make a trade out of desperation.

Trochu
10-29-2017, 12:28 PM
I said it about 5 games ago that we should have traded some future assets for a number 2 or 3 d-man during the off season. It is going to be a lot more expensive now if we are trying to make a trade out of desperation.

And it stands to reason that the best chance of winning comes when McDavid is still in his entry level contract.

colt-44
10-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Desperation
are the Oilers at that point now ? Expectations are never easy on fans and young players . I think this could be part of the many problems they're having now . Confidence can be huge toward winning.

drhu22
10-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Keep hatin....You keep hatin...Little butt sore from Dallas last night I see.

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/sites/default/files/styles/primary_page_regular/public/blends/kick_ass_1.jpg?itok=gp0QcUPG

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 01:34 PM
I still believe!

"Let's go Oilers!" *clap*clap*clapclapclap!*

Just don't ask exactly what I believe.....:lol:

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Oh yea...?

Well.........

Ah!.......... says you!

(I got nothin right now..... gonna go spruce up the McJesus shrine.... perhaps it requires sacrifices.... hmmm)

Wife suggested I wear a plastic bag instead of paper this decade..... Geeze...

Go Oil!!!!

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Oh yea...?

Well.........

Ah!.......... says you!

(I got nothin right now..... gonna go spruce up the McJesus shrine.... perhaps it requires sacrifices.... hmmm)

Sacrifice! Sacrifice! Sacrifice!

Will trade you Stajan for RNH. Deal?

Your wife sounds like she took insurance out on you....:sHa_shakeshout:

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Wuz think more along the lines of swinging a dead chicken over my head at midnight...

Might be more potent juju if it's a pheasant or a goose maybe...?

I'll do whatever

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Wuz think more along the lines of swinging a dead chicken over my head at midnight...

I'll do whatever

How about buying a Flames fan a drink next time he is in the Edmonton area? That has to be good for at least one puck bounce.....?:)

colt-44
10-29-2017, 01:50 PM
How about buying a Flames fan a drink next time he is in the Edmonton area? That has to be good for at least one puck bounce.....?:)

I think Bessie lives in the Cgly area and should spend his money in Flames town for the drink . TC , it's worth the extra drive me thinks . :)

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 01:52 PM
I think Bessie lives in the Cgly area and should spend his money in Flames town for the drink . TC , it's worth the extra drive me thinks . :)

Bessie lives in Cowtown?? Oh, the shame! :lol:

I guess that means next time I'm there, I will expect to be taken out for a good drink AND a good steak dinner. That's if you want some good Mojo coming the Oil way, Bessie.

drhu22
10-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Wuz think more along the lines of swinging a dead chicken over my head at midnight...Might be more potent juju if it's a pheasant or a goose maybe...?I'll do whatever

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/6BIREV0xnyPFYqhCqqcdqg/ls.jpg

purgatory.sv
10-29-2017, 01:56 PM

I'll do whatever

It is only game two of the five game home stand,no need to sacrifice till game 4.?:thinking-006:

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm wayyyyy south of you bub.

I dunno..... I hear stories about cowtowners.... and what they do to barn animals....

One must be careful as to who one associates with.

I hear stories.......

I'll bet ya a bottle of good Crown that the mighty Oil will finish higher than the Shames ...... if yer brave enough to take that bet.

Last flames fan bet me a 1.5 L of Bailies...... I'm still waitin for pay up

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm wayyyyy south of you bub.

I dunno..... I hear stories about cowtowners.... and what they do to barn animals....

One must be careful as to who one associates with.

I hear stories.......

I'll bet ya a bottle of good Crown that the mighty Oil will finish higher than the Shames ...... if yer brave enough to take that bet.

Last flames fan bet me a 1.5 L of Bailies...... I'm still waitin for pay up

There is no such thing as a 'good' bottle of crown....but I'm up for a bet with a good guy like you. Just make it a bottle of 40 Creek Copper Pot?

colt-44
10-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Luv it . that's what it's all about . from one end of Alberta to the other . Good on ya's :sHa_shakeshout:

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Gimme a second

I gotta google up whatever that fancy pants she she stick yer pinky out girly drinks your talikin about is.

Suppose it comes with an umbrella eh?

colt-44
10-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Gimme a second

I gotta google up whatever that fancy pants she she stick yer pinky out girly drinks your talikin about is.

OHHHH lmao.. this a gut breaker .carry on please

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Gimme a second

:lol: No, it's not a foo foo girly drink ,it's good old fashioned rye, distilled in traditional copper stills. Made in Ontario, but don't fault it, it's really good stuff. You can drink it without putting coke or ginger ale in it even, not like that Crown stuff.....

But if you're not comfy with that, a good ol' bottle of Alberta Premium works, and it's still better than Crown! At least it's 100% rye.

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 03:01 PM
Ok
26 of Alberta premium if your Flamers come out ahead of the mighty Oil.

26 o yummy Crown if WHEN my mighty Oilers smash your silly bovine fornicatin, playin in a slum Flames in the standings.

..... sucker..

(Silly eastern slew water drinker)

bessiedog
10-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Oh!

And Go Oil!

( I forgot)

Twisted Canuck
10-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Ok
26 of Alberta premium if your Flamers come out ahead of the mighty Oil.

26 o yummy Crown if WHEN my mighty Oilers smash your silly bovine fornicatin, playin in a slum Flames in the standings.

..... sucker..

(Silly eastern slew water drinker)

Well, since it is a negotiation, and you don't want Stajan for RNH....

A bottle of Crown for you IF the Oilers finish ahead of Flames (or smash my silly bovine fornication with Flames, though I'm not sure what that means, it is quite poetic), and if the Flames best the 'mighty' Soilers, you buy me a bottle of the Forty Creek.

And we won't even get the Mexicans involved in the negotiation. :)

*Edit*....and regardless of which way it goes we do the exchange face to face over wings, or steaks, or whatever, and have a laugh. Probably down south, as I get there on a regular basis, and I know how you soft southerners can't hack the extremes of living in the north....:)

1899b
10-29-2017, 04:36 PM
It takes a bit of liquor to take the pain away of watching this years Oilers. Not even close to the same team as last year...

Big Sky
10-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Oilers are in cap trouble. They have about $10 million of space right now, but they couldn't / can't touch it because the money will be needed for the McDavid contract next year.

Right now they are projected to have about $13 million in cap space for next year, but they will have 10 players to sign to fill out their roster. Not good.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

Too many overpaid players on the roster are making things difficult. Lucic, Nugent-Hopkins and Russell would be the best examples.

My memory is not too good on this, but didn't Chiarelli have a full head of hair when he became the GM in Edmonton?

Twisted Canuck
11-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Well the Oilers played a pretty good game last night, and that second goal from McDavid to Leon was a beauty. They almost got it done against the Cup champs again! If they keep improving, who knows what may happen? They could start winning some games here even! 'Let's go Oilers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap

:)

colt-44
11-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Well the Oilers played a pretty good game last night, and that second goal from McDavid to Leon was a beauty. They almost got it done against the Cup champs again! If they keep improving, who knows what may happen? They could start winning some games here even! 'Let's go Oilers!' *clap*clap*clapclapclap

funny . very good :sHa_shakeshout: now 3-7 love it , life is good

HoytCRX32
11-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Let's hope our Flames can pull a win out tonight.

Talking moose
11-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Let's hope our Flames can pull a win out tonight.

They should be able to. They seem to always play the same tired team the next night.....;)

colt-44
11-02-2017, 09:12 AM
They should be able to. They seem to always play the same tired team the next night.....;)

and thank you for that . LOL . not sure what would make them tired though

Twisted Canuck
11-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Yes, and we'd like to thank the Oilers for helping the Flames have a moderately successful season so far, since they aren't having luck with their own. Credit where it is due.

1899b
11-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Went to last nights game. Just glad i was sitting in my suppliers seats and it was on their dime mostly. What a soft team. Pens were ripe for the picking after getting schooled by the Canucks the other night. The Oilers arent showing a glimmer of anything from last year.

colt-44
11-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Went to last nights game. Just glad i was sitting in my suppliers seats and it was on their dime mostly. What a soft team. Pens were ripe for the picking after getting schooled by the Canucks the other night. The Oilers arent showing a glimmer of anything from last year.

the million dollar question . so why is that ?

Trochu
11-02-2017, 09:34 AM

Probably the bus ride. :sHa_shakeshout:

colt-44
11-02-2017, 09:44 AM
never even thought of that . good one :)

lmtada
11-02-2017, 09:58 AM
I am disappointed with Oilers this far into the first month. Lack of goal production is hurting. The next 10 games will define their year. :sign0176:

sgill808
11-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Yeah.... but remember the Oiler's in the 80's? Wow...:fighting0030:

1899b
11-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Yeah.... but remember the Oiler's in the 80's? Wow...:fighting0030:

Unstoppable!!:)

1899b
11-02-2017, 10:24 AM
the million dollar question . so why is that ?

Because last year they were a young team that overperformed and had some puck luck.

On paper they arent a team that is capable of going as far as they did last year. I see no growth in maturity or skill from last year whatsoever. Talbot also blew his wad last year playing all those games. Oilers cant go two seasons in a row depending on him so much.

kinwahkly
11-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Fire the coach. To hard on them. Poor multi millionaire players to have their backs rubbed .

Nester
11-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Oh those Oilers :sign0161:

How's the flames doing? Time to jump on there wagon? :scared:

bessiedog
11-02-2017, 05:13 PM
NO!!!

MUST

KEEP

FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cmon boys!..........

Nester
11-02-2017, 05:24 PM
It hurts though........it really does :(

:sign0176:

:love0025:

Love them Oilers :sHa_shakeshout:

brendan's dad
11-02-2017, 05:50 PM
All joking aside, if we don't have at least 10 points by 5 pm Sunday afternoon, somebody is getting moved or the boot on Monday morning! :shark:

Twisted Canuck
11-02-2017, 08:45 PM
All joking aside, if we don't have at least 10 points by 5 pm Sunday afternoon, somebody is getting moved or the boot on Monday morning! :shark:

Will give you Stajan and Jagr for McDavid. It's the best thing. Trust me. :)

Jamie
11-02-2017, 11:14 PM
2nd last in the league boys..........

I can hear it now.

"GET YOUR LOTTERY TICKET"

SHESHHHHHHHH
If Conner McJesus can't do this, who can?

Doc777
11-03-2017, 07:39 AM
They need to make a trade

colt-44
11-03-2017, 08:24 AM
They need to make a trade

ya maybe , maybe not . can you imagine what Taylor Hall would look like on this team . The old Oilers best defence was an over powering offence . Sather said that a few times

sgill808
11-03-2017, 09:27 AM
ya maybe , maybe not . can you imagine what Taylor Hall would look like on this team . The old Oilers best defence was an over powering offence . Sather said that a few times

I hope Taylor Hall comes back and kicks their butt tonight.

colt-44
11-03-2017, 09:37 AM
I hope Taylor Hall comes back and kicks their butt tonight.

I like your attitude and outlook . :sHa_shakeshout:

The moose
11-03-2017, 10:04 AM
the trade talk is interesting. Who are you trading and who would be a buyer. If they are buying you are not getting anything good as who is selling players right now? AVS? Duchene will cost a pretty piece and I dont see those players being asked for in the oil system. Not to mention salary cap.

Oilers need to pull up on those reins hard themselves. No one is going to help them out.

brendan's dad
11-03-2017, 02:15 PM
I am actually leaning more to a potential firing as opposed to a trade.

Chiarelli is all but disappeared since the start of the season. His focus during the off season was signing McDavid and Draisaitl, and it is like he forgot about the rest of the line-up. There were quality d-man and forwards available this off season and some them a hell of a lot better then Jokinen at about the same money; Cammalleri, Stafford are couple that come to mind. Hell Iggy would be at least picking up a couple goals. He knew Sekera was out for at least 2 months and did nothing to address the top 4.

And McLellan is not doing his job. Never really like his hiring as he is always the bridesmaid, and never the bride. Doesn't seem to handle pressure very well in the post season. His post game interviews are disgusting with comments like "we were 1 power play away from a win" or 1 PK away from a win". This was a team that was suppose to dominate, not squeak by with 1 goal wins. And the unfortunate part is that he has the whole team believing they have to maintain the same course and it will eventually turn around.

Right now they are at least 7 points behind with 5 other teams ahead of them for the last wildcard spot. 16 games left in November. Even if they go 800 and pick up 25 point, the 5 other teams will all have to be below 500 for the Oilers to be in the last wild card spot by American Thanksgiving. What a terrible start to an awesome season.

Go Oilers Go!:angry3:

Twisted Canuck
11-03-2017, 02:21 PM
*clap*clap*clapclapclap....!

What happened to McJesus saving the franchise...?

Jamie
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
*clap*clap*clapclapclap....!

what happened to mcjesus saving the franchise...?

lolololololol

Jamie
11-03-2017, 02:43 PM
http://emptynetsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/connor-mcjesus.jpg

Jamie
11-03-2017, 02:46 PM
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwicja6Bo6PXAhVG3WMKHTBYAagQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fes.memegenerator.net%2Finstance%2 F67132715%2Fconnor-mcjesus-mcjesus-is-coming-look-busy&psig=AOvVaw1FGuC6O7fd3HIXrGysAoct&ust=1509828153809696

Jamie
11-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Some creative people out there I tell you...

sgill808
11-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Some creative people out there I tell you...

The Oiler's give them a lot of material haha.

bb356
11-03-2017, 04:57 PM
The Oiler's give them a lot of material haha.

Twisted Canuck
11-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Oilers had a great game tonight, and got a well deserved win. Good to see some scoring from secondary lines, and from Klefbom.

Now, having said that, I'm not one to buy into coincidences much, and I made a pretty obvious connection on this win and something that happened today. A really good friend of mine, and a life long and die hard Oilers fan went for his annual prostate exam today (for real), and I just think that maybe there is a strong connection there with the win. You know, getting out of the hole, so to speak.

So, if the die hard Oilers fans really want to see their team keep on winning games like this, I have to ask......

Who is willing to take one for the Team?

:sHa_shakeshout:

bessiedog
11-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Ohhhhyeeea!!!!!!

Dats more like it boys!!!

6-3

Finally got the secondary scoring!

Keep it up!!

Go mighty Oil!!

Twisted Canuck
11-03-2017, 09:54 PM
You have to be the first volunteer Bessie, it will take it to the next level for you! :)

bessiedog
11-03-2017, 09:58 PM
...... Hard No!

Twisted Canuck
11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
...... Hard No!

Who would have thought you'd jump off the bandwagon that easy. Quitter.

bessiedog
11-03-2017, 10:04 PM
No need for luck!

We got skill

We got drive

We're comin on strong!!!

drhu22
11-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Who would have thought you'd jump off the bandwagon that easy. Quitter.

You kids behave or no Macdonalds!

Twisted Canuck
11-03-2017, 10:07 PM
You kids behave or no Macdonalds!

OK, but I was just about to mention that Bessie could close his eyes and pretend he'd been abducted by Aliens if it made it any easier....anyway, it was a good win tonight for them.

drhu22
11-03-2017, 10:10 PM
OK, but I was just about to mention that Bessie could close his eyes and pretend he'd been abducted by Aliens if it made it any easier....anyway, it was a good win tonight for them.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. ; )

bb356
11-04-2017, 01:55 AM
This tread need's a pic !!!:)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/7e/42/867e42b7e98800d5a5c9af0e0f72e839--boston-bruins-hockey-boston-sports.jpg

brendan's dad
11-04-2017, 07:20 AM
We need an effort like that every night. Still need to clean up a little in the defensive zone. There was a few too many loose and bouncing pucks infront of Talbot that the Devils could scored a garbage goal or 2.

Trochu
11-05-2017, 03:32 PM
I have Talbot in my pool. I haven't watched any Oilers games this year, are they hanging him out to dry or is he kinda sucking this year?

Twisted Canuck
11-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Talbot isn't doing great, and they are hanging him out to dry.

It's not too late to 'take one for the team' Bessiedog.....:lol:

Twisted Canuck
11-05-2017, 04:50 PM
4-0 loss. How many more times is this going to happen before Bessiedog does the right thing to help his team?

A real fan makes sacrifices.....

jstubbs
11-05-2017, 05:06 PM
From the parts of the game I watched (1st period and start of the 3rd), besides not being able to score, the Oilers were playing good. First goal was just a cut and dry example of the luck of this entire season. Oil is dominating, generating a lot of chances, then the other team fires one shot going wide that gets tipped and right by Talbot. Then the team proceeds to die by the awful PK and non-generating PP.

That said, the team is abysmal. Pretty much have to absolutely dominate the entire rest of the season, which I don't see happening. Oh well!

sgill808
11-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Let's be nice. Oiler Lives Matter movement is coming...

It was a close one. I know you guys like to be positive. If you guys only scored 5 more goals you could have won. Next time.

drhu22
11-05-2017, 05:17 PM
4-0 loss. How many more times is this going to happen before Bessiedog does the right thing to help his team? A real fan makes sacrifices.....

Bessiedog can help this team?

Edit: Give us those nasty Red Wings, we'll show you what to do with them.

Twisted Canuck
11-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Bessiedog can help this team?

Edit: Give us those nasty Red Wings, we'll show you what to do with them.

You need to refer to my post #230 to see what is required to take one for the team, to change their luck.

bessiedog
11-05-2017, 07:09 PM
4-0 loss. How many more times is this going to happen before Bessiedog does the right thing to help his team?

A real fan makes sacrifices.....

You keep my hoop outta this!

Exit only!

Damn we sucked today!

Shoulda stayed out chasin pheasants!

Twisted Canuck
11-05-2017, 07:17 PM
You keep my hoop outta this!

Exit only!!

:lol:

Yeah, they did suck, like a Hoover Vacuum. Or a chest wound. Or a black hole......

fishead
11-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Man do they suck.