PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Bikini

Luckybrand
10-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone around the Edmonton or lac la Biche area has got a bikini frame I could try out for sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katts69
10-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Spend a few extra dollars and get the hunting frame. Much more comfortable and adjustable. I have two hunting frames that you are welcome to try on if your around the Edmonton area.
Take care, rob

mad mountain mike
10-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Are you looking at a used one? They haven't made the bikini for a couple years now. The bikini frame is great for loads under 50 or 60 pounds but after that I preferred the hunting frame. Another issue with the bikini is barreling. If you're going to pack the bag tight you have to add a cross member or a frame sheet to prevent it.
I still use my bikini frame alot for day trips and over nighters but for extended multi day trips the hunter frame gets the nod. Alot of guys like the extra rigidness of the military frame as well. I've only read reviews of the military frame, I've not owned one. I have owned the bikini, duplex and hunter frames, of these the Hunter frame is the most comfortable with heavy loads.

Coiloil37
10-09-2017, 08:35 AM
In addition to what mike said he didn't like about the bikini (I agree with everything he said), I cracked the back of my head twice on the top cross bar. First time I was standing and looked up, second time I was laying prone and shooting with a bipod and when I raised my head to look in the scope caught that bar again on the back of the head just between the ears. It hurts.
I know pack fit is very personal and we are all built different but I disliked the bikini, the duplex was good and the new hunter frame has been the best. I also prefer the 24" frame to the 26" frame for a few different reasons even though I'm 6' tall.

BigJon
10-09-2017, 10:46 AM
I like my bikini frame and can pack 80-90lbs comfortably. Have gone over 100lbs and life is a little less enjoyable but still doable.

I agree about the barrelling issue and I just weaved some paracord in that area and that seems to have mitigated the issue for me.

However that frame has indeed been discontinued so it would seem that I am in the minority with my thoughts on the bikini frame.

I'm in Peace River anyway so doesn't help for you wanting to try one on.

Luckybrand
10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Yeah thanks for the responses guys, I am looking at an emr 2 with a bikini frame seems like a good deal, I’m currently running a stone glacier 6900 but being 6’2 and having a pack that sticks about 10’ above my head still kinda sucks a lot in the bush, it’s also always nice to have a few more ci for extended trips. Haven’t made up my mind though that’s why was looking for a bikini frame to try on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk