PDA

View Full Version : F&W is hiring more CO's.

Red Bullets
10-08-2017, 11:13 PM
I see that Alberta has openings for F&W officers. You have until October 18th to apply. Thought there might be some interested people.

https://www.hrextcg.alberta.ca/psc/HREXTCG_AC/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_PRE&action=A&siteId=1

(second page of website)

ram crazy
10-09-2017, 06:03 AM
That funny considering they keep cutting the budget for that department.

sns2
10-09-2017, 09:32 AM
I had a great encounter with the head of the central alberta area. He checked us out on Pigeon Lake, I told him to go in the tent and ask the boys to produce their licences, and check em out thoroughly. He asked me if he could talk to them about a career in F & W. I said of course. He had a long talk with the boys about what the job was like and the requirements. I later asked him about wages. Let me just say that they do not get paid enough for what they do and the degree that is required. Really too bad.

IR_mike
10-09-2017, 11:33 AM
I had a great encounter with the head of the central alberta area. He checked us out on Pigeon Lake, I told him to go in the tent and ask the boys to produce their licences, and check em out thoroughly. He asked me if he could talk to them about a career in F & W. I said of course. He had a long talk with the boys about what the job was like and the requirements. I later asked him about wages. Let me just say that they do not get paid enough for what they do and the degree that is required. Really too bad.

X2

That is why the last go around resulted in some unsuitable individuals being hired.

58thecat
10-09-2017, 11:37 AM
X2

That is why the last go around resulted in some unsuitable individuals being hired.

Have not ran into these individuals, all the ones I have were very professional and just good all around people.

Sask Bearman
10-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Good on them for trying to get more officers in the field. I hope Sask follows suit.

Nester
10-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Tough job. Great people in this profession.

They seriously need a budget increase.

KBF
10-09-2017, 08:21 PM
What is the expected income of an officer?

Bellero
10-09-2017, 09:09 PM
What is the expected income of an officer?

$2,150.48 - $2,734.23 Bi-Weekly

CanadianPsycho
10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
and in 3 years they will probably lay them off. I looked into becoming a fishies officer a few years back, most people with the degree and interest work elsewhere as Alberta has a habit of hiring a bunch then laying the whole lot off a few years down the road.

ghostguy6
10-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Funny how this seems to happen every hunting season, I'm seriously beginning to wonder if these are seasonal positions that are advertised as full time positions.

lromanchuk
10-10-2017, 02:01 PM
$2,150.48 - $2,734.23 Bi-Weekly

That's not bad. I assume the pension and benefits are descent? If so, that's very comparable to most emergency services wages.

1stLand
10-10-2017, 02:42 PM
4 Years of Fish and Wildlife courses at a College. I think its called a conservation diploma? No Thanks.

I have 2 university degrees and I am an avid outdoorsman. I emailed their recruiting department and they said that I would need to go to school for an additional 4 years and take their pre requisite courses to be hired on.

No thanks.

No wonder they can't attract decent people. Although I will say that all of the F&W officers I have met have been very professional and top notch. Good to chat with them.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
4 Years of Fish and Wildlife courses at a College. I think its called a conservation diploma? No Thanks.

I have 2 university degrees and I am an avid outdoorsman. I emailed their recruiting department and they said that I would need to go to school for an additional 4 years and take their pre requisite courses to be hired on.

No thanks.

No wonder they can't attract decent people. Although I will say that all of the F&W officers I have met have been very professional and top notch. Good to chat with them.

Are your degrees related to environmental sciences?

1stLand
10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Are your degrees related to environmental sciences?
No.
University is a joke anyhow.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 02:52 PM
No.
University is a joke anyhow.

It's a fairly specialized field, so I'm not sure why you're surprised that they wanted you go fit their criteria.

1stLand
10-10-2017, 02:55 PM
It's a fairly specialized field, so I'm not sure why you're surprised that they wanted you go fit their criteria.

Im not sure its specialized enough to warrant a 4 year post secondary education.

I spent an hour helping a CO drag a decommissioned Fishing Survey Box down a mountain this year lol. There are alot of part of the job that aren't glamerous.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Im not sure its specialized enough to warrant a 4 year post secondary education.

I spent an hour helping a CO drag a decommissioned Fishing Survey Box down a mountain this year lol. There are alot of part of the job that aren't glamerous.

I was enrolled in the course in the mid-80s, courses covered everything from public relations, law enforcement, criminal law, botany, biology, field / ecological management, etc. It was only a 2 year program back then though, so I'm not sure what type of extra courses they've added. Most of my former classmates had to leave Alberta to find full time work - many of Alberta's positions were seasonal. And very few actually became "Conservation Officers", or "Game Wardens".

You're right though, it might seem like a glamorous job, but it's not for everyone. One of my buddies moved on from a CO position in BC because he got "Tired of dealing with drunks with guns". I suppose most law enforcement people see more of the bad side of people than many of the rest of us do.

1899b
10-10-2017, 06:48 PM
I was enrolled in the course in the mid-80s, courses covered everything from public relations, law enforcement, criminal law, botany, biology, field / ecological management, etc. It was only a 2 year program back then though, so I'm not sure what type of extra courses they've added. Most of my former classmates had to leave Alberta to find full time work - many of Alberta's positions were seasonal. And very few actually became "Conservation Officers", or "Game Wardens".

You're right though, it might seem like a glamorous job, but it's not for everyone. One of my buddies moved on from a CO position in BC because he got "Tired of dealing with drunks with guns". I suppose most law enforcement people see more of the bad side of people than many of the rest of us do.

I'm pretty sure you need a degree now.

Scott N
10-10-2017, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty sure you need a degree now.

Yes, I'm sure you are right, so I was wondering if the degrees that 1stLand held were related in anyway. I was curious how the 2 year diploma has changed to the 4 year degree, and what they have added to the curriculum. Considering the pay isn't especially great, and employment opportunities are fairly limited, is it worth a degree?

Steve W
10-10-2017, 07:43 PM
The fourth year is a "directed field study program". You're not actually at the college for this. Here's a link that may help the curious:

http://www.lethbridgecollege.ca/program/conservation-enforcement

Steve W
10-10-2017, 07:46 PM

No thanks.

You'd be really thrilled at the 4-5 months of the "academy" after you get hired too.

doetracks
10-10-2017, 08:35 PM
i was enrolled in the course in the mid-80s...

LCC? I may have asked you before. If so, my apologies.

Marty S
10-10-2017, 08:47 PM
I'll just pull that right back off!!!

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0032.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

3blade
10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Get a degree, then do poorly paid seasonal work for a few years, then maybe get the privilidge of being hired full time, which means you miss your own hunting season, work on call and will probably get laid off right about the time you start to think you have made a career out of it. Hard to believe anyone applies. It's a disgrace the way things are run, they need 3 times the officers and a proper budget, and recruiting process that makes sense.

Nothing but respect for those who do the job though. My interactions with them have always been positive.

Scott N
10-11-2017, 05:17 AM
LCC? I may have asked you before. If so, my apologies.

Yes, LCC.

58thecat
10-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Give it a shot, then you will know exactly how specialized they are in their field, from our outside looking in perspectives we often say that your profession took how much schooling? Wow, me included but these people who stick it out are passionate about there profession which is awesome. I often question a school teacher but then I sit with them and get there perspective and like I said wow it's what they enjoy.
Can't wrap my head around it but hey glad they are out there, just wish there was more.

58thecat
10-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Ya I did the same thing then went back to the logging and fisheries...a lot more money back then...

doetracks
10-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Yes, LCC.

'87-'89 for me. We're Alum. :)

Scott N
10-11-2017, 08:19 AM
'87-'89 for me. We're Alum. :)

Why, yes we are! Possibly / probably classmates at some point.

Mr Conservation
10-11-2017, 10:05 AM
I was at LCC during the spring semester in 1986. I had previously completed a diploma as a Fish and Wildlife Technician from Sir Sandford Fleming College in Lindsay, Ontario. I was advised that taking all the conservation law enforcement courses would be a great help in my quest for a career as a Fish and Wildlife Officer in Alberta.

At the completion of the semester I worked as a "Student Fish and Wildlife Officer" for the summer. One of the best summers I ever experienced. Unfortunately things never worked out, and I was unable to make a career out of it. :sign0176:

Now it is a four year program at LCC, and then I believe an "academy" at the Western Conservation Law Enforcement Academy in Hinton. Yes - pay is lower than what it should be, staffing levels are never adequate, and working conditions may not the best, but I would have traded my time in the fire service for a full time Fish and Wildlife Officer position in a minute.

Mr Conservation

doetracks
10-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Why, yes we are! Possibly / probably classmates at some point.

Probably!

Sadly I was not able to make a career out of it, but the education has helped in prior facets of my career... and maybe again in the future :)

ScubaSteve
10-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I for one would love to see more regular enforcement out there. You just see too many things out there these days that make you shake your head.