PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera for Aurora borealis under $400

i love fishing
10-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Aurora season is hear and I wanna get myself a camera,
any?

Etownpaul
10-09-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure about being Aurora specific, but I recently bought a camera through Best Buy online. They have great deals on open box and discontinued models, but the deals are online only. I just went to the local Best Buy, handled a couple different models then bought the one I liked off their website for $200 less because it was open box. The sales guy there was actually the one who tipped me off on the online open box discounts.

I ended up getting a Sony alpha 5000 for about $400 and I'm very happy with it. I've had some vacation pictures that were taken with it printed off, and they look like postcard quality.

i love fishing
10-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Pics?

Etownpaul
10-09-2017, 11:45 AM
https://imgur.com/gallery/H3ZP7

I got some water on my lense on the first couple pics, but the lady at London Drugs photoshopped out the spot for me

Donkey Oatey
10-09-2017, 12:40 PM
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331031&highlight=aurora

Something wrong with the first thread you posted about the same thing?

TBH if you want to shoot the northern lights and have anything worth keeping you will need to spend north of $400.

Even an entry level dslr will set you back that and then some.

The Flint&Fly Guy
10-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Should be able to find a used Olympus Omd-em5 mk1 for 450$ with a lens that will work for the lights. That's the camera I currently use, and though I use a higher grade lens the kit lens would suffice for starting.
I imagine you could find a used entry level dslr for much the same price.

Pixel Shooter
10-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Most cameras will accomplish what your looking for. Preferably ability tonshoo manual. This is all tripod and longer exposures. Easiest way to manage proper exposures is learn how to read a histogram on your digital display. I would use a manual shutter cable while using a. Tripod. Same strategy as capturing lightening strikes.

Wes_G
10-09-2017, 11:23 PM
You can have the best camera in the world, but it won't do you any good if you don't know how to use it.

You will need a camera that allows you to manually control shutter speed and aperture values, so likely a DSLR is going to be your best bet.

BPM
10-10-2017, 02:56 AM
Most cameras will accomplish what your looking for. Preferably ability tonshoo manual. This is all tripod and longer exposures. Easiest way to manage proper exposures is learn how to read a histogram on your digital display. I would use a manual shutter cable while using a. Tripod. Same strategy as capturing lightening strikes.

I concur.

Suppose you could look for some Older Canon 30-40-50D's. I've got some incredible NL Pics with those cameras. Granted all my glass is L series stuff which adds another zero to the price, but even a nice prime lens like a 50mm will do a great job.

I think I still have my 30D somewhere, I should clean the sensor and test it out, if it works well I can make you an offer you cant refuse.

CanadianPsycho
10-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Full frame professional level body and a high quality lenses would be best. I prefer Canon personally but Nikons are just as good. My chosen set up in a Canon 5DMk2 and for night shots a 50mm f1.2 L series lens.
You can find good deals on older models these days. You can get a full 5dmk2 set up for around a $1000 on the used buy/sell groups.

The Flint&Fly Guy
10-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Notice the op said under 400$ even if that's not possible it brings the connotation that they are looking for a sufficient entry level setup rather that a professional set of gear!
It is entirely needless to buy full frame to meet the specified needs!

i love fishing
10-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Is this thread abundant? Lol

Weedy1
10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Notice the op said under 400$ even if that's not possible it brings the connotation that they are looking for a sufficient entry level setup rather that a professional set of gear!
It is entirely needless to buy full frame to meet the specified needs!

I guess you missed the CanadianPsycho handle? :)

Red Bullets
10-12-2017, 10:03 PM
A Canon PowerShot SX 50 HS is a good camera for the dollar. Takes great pics and video. Good for the beginner to intermediate. Around 400 bucks