PDA

View Full Version : Field hunting questions.....

Tigger72
10-09-2017, 07:25 PM
So what does everyone do with the dead geese after you shoot them???? We started out putting them under our shells.... after a few hunts with these damn birds coming to life tossing the shell and running across the field with a broken neck and wing as soon as a flock comes honking by we thought we'd change it up with a large tupperware container between two blinds covered with burlap and field dressing ( couldn't fit enough in them) ... then moved to just burlap between the blinds with pegs to hold the corners down.... seems to work ok... just wondering what everyone else does ...... as my burlap is getting a little tattered and am looking for something else....:thinking-006:

lead chucker
10-09-2017, 07:31 PM
First off make sure their dead.then add them to your spread with head tucked under a wing.make sure there's no blood visable and bellys down.. (That will screw up a hunt).always done this and it works just fine.

Backyardhunter3006
10-09-2017, 07:36 PM
I do the same as lead chucker. Never had a problem with it. Wring out their necks if they are still alive.

Hunter4ever12
10-09-2017, 07:51 PM
First off make sure their dead.then add them to your spread with head tucked under a wing.make sure there's no blood visable and bellys down.. (That will screw up a hunt).always done this and it works just fine.

+1

MountainTi
10-09-2017, 08:23 PM

x2

sjemac
10-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Just kill your geese. Stupid neck spinning thing is stupid. Cut them or whack their skulls.

tikka250
10-09-2017, 09:06 PM
i either wring the necks then lay them out like decoys or put them behind the blind. if shooting is good with lots of people we pile 8 behind each blind so we can easily tell how much limit is left. if wringing necks dont work for you look into the adrenal line finisher.

cmartin2@telus.net
10-09-2017, 09:17 PM
Thinking about going for my first black bear this year. I am wondering what the regs are for what you have to harvest from the kill. Someone told me you only have to take the hide. That doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone enlighten me?

58thecat
10-09-2017, 10:03 PM
I do the same as lead chucker. Never had a problem with it. Wring out their necks if they are still alive.

Throw in a few karate chops too, Don knots style!:)

bobalong
10-09-2017, 10:42 PM
We just put them belly down behind the willow blind.

Justfishin73
10-10-2017, 06:37 AM
I use a large plastic tote and bring along a small flat rock to put underneath to crush skulls, or they go into the ground when you do try to crush em.

Piece of burlap over the tote behind blind hides them nicely

ScubaSteve
10-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Throw in a few karate chops too, Don knots style!:)

What he said.

buckbrushoutdoors
10-12-2017, 12:13 PM

This^^^^

wwbirds
10-12-2017, 01:06 PM
is very specific never mind what injured birds walking around a spread does for our image as hunters

(1.1) A person who kills, cripples or injures a migratory bird shall

(a) immediately make every reasonable effort to retrieve the bird; and

(b) if he retrieves the bird while it is still alive, immediately kill and include it in his daily bag limit.

223MB
10-12-2017, 02:29 PM
laydown blinds have lots of room, Had 7 honkers in my blind with me on the weekend.

Habfan
10-12-2017, 05:12 PM
i either wring the necks then lay them out like decoys or put them behind the blind. if shooting is good with lots of people we pile 8 behind each blind so we can easily tell how much limit is left. if wringing necks dont work for you look into the adrenal line finisher.

I just bought some. Do they work good ?

Cowtown guy
10-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Wring the neck and lay it out as a sleeper decoy.
Birds with broken necks don't run around.
A tote in the field? That one I don't get.

WildCanuck
10-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Wring the neck and lay it out as a sleeper decoy.
Birds with broken necks don't run around.
A tote in the field? That one I don't get.

agreed with this comment. I would never bring a large unneeded item into a field hunt.
I've never had a bird run around after ringing it's neck. If you do, than you're not doing it properly.

WildCanuck

Tigger72
10-13-2017, 08:39 PM
thanks guys.... I never thought of laying them down in the spread as sleepers!! I'll try that on the next hunt..

32-40win
10-14-2017, 11:58 AM
My dog didn't want to go back into his blind this week, we were shooting snows, it was raining pretty good. We had to get up and dead birds off the field. So, I checked his blind, he usually has one in there, 5 birds in there. No room for him. We usually just pile them behind the blinds. Although, there are times I question that, when the count starts getting up there.

drake
10-14-2017, 03:28 PM
I use a large plastic tote and bring along a small flat rock to put underneath to crush skulls, or they go into the ground when you do try to crush em.

Piece of burlap over the tote behind blind hides them nicely

This is one of the weirdest things I've read on here....wow....just when I thought ide seen it all

Put the head between your index and middle finger. Beak pointing straight up. Quick 360 twist. Over

lead chucker
10-14-2017, 04:06 PM
I personally wouldn't use a tote. I've had goose hunts screwed up because of shell casings let alone a big old tote. Seriously just use them as a decoy part of your spread with the head tucked in and no blood or bellys down and you will fill your limits.

lead chucker
10-14-2017, 04:08 PM
If you give them a good spin you'll have no problem breaking necks.ive never used a rock. Put some force into it and your hunt will be awesome

32-40win
10-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Seen more than a few birds get up over the next 1/2hr after factually breaking their necks on the twist method, it isn't perfect. Busting their bean is probably a better method, but you definitely have to hide the head after. Could use a cleaver, just point the neck at your buddy's blind.

drake
10-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Seen more than a few birds get up over the next 1/2hr after factually breaking their necks on the twist method, it isn't perfect. Busting their bean is probably a better method, but you definitely have to hide the head after. Could use a cleaver, just point the neck at your buddy's blind.

Seriously??....I have rung hundreds of necks and never had one come back to life

Justfishin73
10-14-2017, 09:50 PM

I knew I wasnt the only one! Its only usually the big birds, and its just easier to crush the heads than the neck twisting mess.
Theyre both a mess actually.

drake
10-14-2017, 10:18 PM
I knew I wasnt the only one! Its only usually the big birds, and its just easier to crush the heads than the neck twisting mess.
Theyre both a mess actually.

You're doing it wrong...the big ones are the easiest. You need to get someone to show you how to do it properly. It is instant death with no mess