PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Advice???

j_schooten
10-10-2017, 09:08 PM
I have an angled Vortex Razor Hd spotting scope with a vortex high country tripod. I am very unhappy with the high country tripod. It's flimsy and you can't seem to get it stable. The head seems to be always coming loose. I know you get what you pay for and it's a shame to have a nice spotter on a bad tripod.

So here I am looking for advice on a well built tripod for a decent price. Somewhere between $100-$350 would be doable. I've heard vanguard makes decent ones but I want something that will be compatible with my vortex. Really looking for something with a pan head and a quick attach for putting on/taking off my scope.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
A lot of camera tripods are quite sturdy. I've used mine occasionally as a .338LM class rifle support. Still tight as ever.

London Drugs used to have a bunch.

ks.snow
10-10-2017, 09:46 PM
I'd reccomend the Siriu T-025x. Use it with the included ball head then upgrade to a manfrotto or outdoorsman pan head when you get more funds

LJalberta
10-10-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm using a Slick Sprint Pro II with a Benro S2 panhead. It's a great value setup (around $200 or so if I remember correctly). It's about 2.7 pound with the centre extender removed, and steady enough for my binos or a 50mm spotter. I'm not sure how it'd do with an 80mm though. I do plan on upgrading to a Promaster XC525C one day with an outdoorsman panhead, but I believe each of those items run closer to $300 a piece.

Xiph0id
10-10-2017, 10:11 PM
A lot of camera tripods are quite sturdy. I've used mine occasionally as a .338LM class rifle support. Still tight as ever.

London Drugs used to have a bunch.

How do you mount that or support with it?

Daslogster
10-10-2017, 10:23 PM
As a photographer I always use Manfrotto tripods, pricy but amazing, I do have a tripod off a Leopold mk4 if you want it.

Arty
10-10-2017, 10:35 PM
How do you mount that or support with it?

Just have a solid pad of leather or rubber mounted to the receiver, with dense foam or a small sandbag on top. Sort of like a shallow Caldwell shooting rest.

Got the idea from police snipers.

j_schooten
10-10-2017, 10:35 PM
As a photographer I always use Manfrotto tripods, pricy but amazing, I do have a tripod off a Leopold mk4 if you want it.

Sorry you have a manfrotto you are willing to part with? If so private message me. FYI my spotting scope is an 85mm. So there is some weight to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasktimber
10-10-2017, 10:52 PM
I use the Ultrec Engineered Tripod with the Ball head mount. I find that it works great with my Swaro 80mm spotter and with the quick change head i can put my camera on for taking pictures or the shooting V when the kids are with me. The parts interchange with the Bog Pod but this setup is a little lighter if packing it for up and down the mountains.

KegRiver
10-11-2017, 11:08 PM
I've used a Manfrotto for the past eight years. I have other tripods that I used before I got the Manfrotto. I don't use them anymore.

They are pricey but they are rock solid and they last. Well worth the price for what I do with them. Which is wildlife photography.

Jay Kyle
10-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Gitzo systematic series with an Acratech Head - plan on spending over a grand - but it holds my swaro rock steady even in a wind.

Jay