PDA

View Full Version : Written off truck?

Norwest Alta
10-10-2017, 09:25 PM
The wife was in a accident this afternoon which I would suspect will result in her 6 month old truck being wrote off. How long does it take for insurance to pay out on these things? Any advice for dealing with the insurance company?

Thanks.

silverdoctor
10-10-2017, 09:28 PM
The wife was in a accident this afternoon which I would suspect will result in her 6 month old truck being wrote off. How long does it take for insurance to pay out on these things? Any advice for dealing with the insurance company?

Thanks.

Which insurance company? Some are better than others.

Is your wife ok?

Gray Wolf
10-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks.

Your insurance agent should be able to answer all your questions. That's part of what they're paid for.

So, no injuries?!

Norwest Alta
10-10-2017, 09:40 PM
No injuries just bruised up. She'll be sore tomorrow no doubt.

Wawanessa is the insurance company.

rembo
10-10-2017, 09:48 PM
My old shop truck was written off July 13.

I got the cheque late August. About 6 weeks.

silverdoctor
10-10-2017, 09:53 PM
She will be sore tomorrow. Wawanesa is generally pretty good. When the ex got rear ended, they were prompt on fixing the car and there was no issues with whom she chose to fix it. No questions asked basically. Empire collision fixed the car, they were great to deal with.

Norwest Alta
10-10-2017, 09:55 PM
She will be sore tomorrow. Wawanesa is generally pretty good. When the ex got rear ended, they were prompt on fixing the car and there was no issues with whom she chose to fix it. No questions asked basically.

I think they're good just wondering when to start shopping.

silverdoctor
10-10-2017, 09:56 PM
I think they're good just wondering when to start shopping.

Call them, I can't answer that. they need to send an adjuster out to see if it's a write off or not.

ryeguy21
10-10-2017, 10:11 PM
My wife's vehicle was written off a few weeks back. She got better money then the car was worth. I thought this was a one off but a co worker had his truck written off shortly after. He got more then he paid for the truck even though it was 3 years old. My co worker did insanely awesome. He gets a free upgrade 3 years after the fact.

Wife had the money 2 days after she accepted the pay out and signed all the papers. It took their appraiser 10 days or so to get out and write the car off.

Only issue with everything was the insurance company only wanted to cover the rental for such a small time line. Once they determined the car was written off they pushed things forward quickly. The wife didnt want to haggle the loaner car for longer... if it was me dealing with it I wouldn't have let that happen.

We had a spare vehicle so not a major problem but the wife doesn't like driving it.

Ken07AOVette
10-10-2017, 10:13 PM
I am certain you know this, but do not let her sign off on injury for minimum 6 months or better a year+ later, that's when injuries seem to pop up. You are driving away and get an aching shoulder, then remember you never had this issue until after the accident. Or headaches, or whatever.

I wrecked my shoulder when I hit the animal on the highway, and stupidly took the tough guy approach, "I am fine, sure you can close the file". 6 years later it still causes issues.

I am glad she is ok.

silverdoctor
10-10-2017, 10:22 PM
My wife's vehicle was written off a few weeks back. She got better money then the car was worth. I thought this was a one off but a co worker had his truck written off shortly after. He got more then he paid for the truck even though it was 3 years old. My co worker did insanely awesome. He gets a free upgrade 3 years after the fact.

Wife had the money 2 days after she accepted the pay out and signed all the papers. It took their appraiser 10 days or so to get out and write the car off.

Only issue with everything was the insurance company only wanted to cover the rental for such a small time line. Once they determined the car was written off they pushed things forward quickly. The wife didnt want to haggle the loaner car for longer... if it was me dealing with it I wouldn't have let that happen.

We had a spare vehicle so not a major problem but the wife doesn't like driving it.

Good points. It took something like 2.5 weeks for the ex's car to get fixed between ordering parts and such, Wawanesa took care of the rental costs no questions.

I highly recommend a dash cam. When she got rear ended, the guy driving the jeep that hit her so hard that he drove her into the car in front. She had stopped with plenty of room before getting hit - if not for dash cam video, she likely would have taken fault for that part of the accident and faced increased insurance costs. You can buy a basic dash cam for $100 or so, auto on and auto off - don't need to touch it.

ryeguy21
10-10-2017, 10:33 PM
for my wife some douche turned left right in front of her... thankfully there wasnt an issue of who was at fault.

300magman
10-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Glad your wife is ok buddy! Got no answers about payout, never been down that road thankfully

Kristopher10
10-10-2017, 11:32 PM
If I remember correctly I think the payout on my car was approximately 4-6 weeks. Took the insurance company about a week to determine if it was a write off, and as mentioned in another post my policy only covered a rental to a certain amount (which equated to about 2 weeks).

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Scottmisfits
10-11-2017, 09:07 AM
When I had my accident I was rear ended. The insurance company offered me a very low value for the car and I had 48 hours to return the rental car from the time of their first offer. I fought both things having done my own research. Once the initial offer is made, your rental car is done shortly there after, but I stood my ground and told them to make a fair and realistic offer. The first offer was after 4 business days. The second offer which is what I told them I would hold out for, came 2 days after that.

If you are buying a new vehicle you can get some good insurance packages now. I don’t remember if it’s 3 or 4 years but if my truck gets written off in that time, I get a brand new truck, the current model year.

Glad to hear there’s no injuries. None serious at least.

SlightlyDistracting
10-11-2017, 09:15 AM
I am curious as to the damage. A six month old truck would have to have substantial damage to write it off. What makes you think its a total loss? As a body tech I have fixed a lot of trucks. Glad everyone will be alright

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 09:26 AM
I am curious as to the damage. A six month old truck would have to have substantial damage to write it off. What makes you think its a total loss? As a body tech I have fixed a lot of trucks. Glad everyone will be alright

Don't know how to put pictures on here but I'd certainly text them to you if you pm your number to me.

The accident was essentially a head on. Other vehicle didn't stop at stop sign and turned left onto secondary hwy. The wife tried to avoid the collision by going into the oncoming lane when the collision occurred. Figured she was doing 80-90 when the meeting happened.

colroggal
10-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Don't know how to put pictures on here but I'd certainly text them to you if you pm your number to me.

The accident was essentially a head on. Other vehicle didn't stop at stop sign and turned left onto secondary hwy. The wife tried to avoid the collision by going into the oncoming lane when the collision occurred. Figured she was doing 80-90 when the meeting happened.

And she's likely just to be bruised? Buy another one of those trucks. No questions there.

Glad she'll be okay.

Colin

jstubbs
10-11-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm actually also wondering this. My grandfather had his truck in an accident two Sundays ago and is wondering when he'll be getting paid for it. An adjuster already wrote it off early last week. With what he gets from insurance he said he'd just buy my old Duramax off of me. I'm curious as to how long the process takes for him to actually get a cheque.

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
And she's likely just to be bruised? Buy another one of those trucks. No questions there.

Glad she'll be okay.

Colin

Yes just bruised and sore. Impressed with how safe the truck is.

Sooner
10-11-2017, 10:21 AM
The process: Claim made, adjuster assigned, appraiser sent out, while this is happening, fault is being decided from police reports. Appraiser sends in report on damage and value. Adjuster calls with first settlement offer on vehicle. Don't accept if you don't like it. Injury is another side of the claim.

Glad your wife is ok, if you have time, go back or call the dealer(sales person) you bought from, get their opinion on paper on what it should still be worth at 6 months old. Do you have a replacement clause?

Check Kijiji for similar models but in my experience, with such a new vehicle, not many will be for sale yet.

What we have done here, replacement cost divided by 12(months). That number gives you a per month value. Times by 6 (age of vehicle) for a close idea of it's value at the time of loss.

If their not fighting on fault and the info comes to the adjuster quick, it shouldnt take very long to hear back from the adjuster on a payout. Don't be afraid to "bug" them a bit :)

Zip
10-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Happy that it's just bruising, I hope that's all it ends up being.. Give ur wife a very easy hug for me, no squeezing hard!
Zip:)

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Happy that it's just bruising, I hope that's all it ends up being.. Give ur wife a very easy hug for me, no squeezing hard!
Zip:)

Should come for a visit and then you can hug her yourself. Then it would be done right. Hope things are well with you.

hayseed
10-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Scary stuff man, glad to hear she's doing ok!!!

May I ask what make or type of vehicle she was in??

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Scary stuff man, glad to hear she's doing ok!!!

May I ask what make or type of vehicle she was in??

Lol. Yes you may.
2017 ram 1500 Laramie.

hayseed
10-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Lol...

I'm so polite...
I got your pics this aft...
Wowee!!!!!

Very lucky gal !!!!

Norwest Alta
10-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Lol...

I'm so polite...
I got your pics this aft...
Wowee!!!!!

Very lucky gal !!!!

Lol. Yes. Tow truck driver said lucky she was in a Fargo. Looks like I'll be shopping for another if it's a write off.

hayseed
10-11-2017, 07:25 PM
I'd be dang shocked if it ain't.. :scared0015:

Doodle30
10-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Almost 6 weeks for me but I fought insurance on the value of the payout. Got an additional $3200 out of them so was pretty happy.

I started shopping as soon as I found out the truck was a total loss, which was about one week. The decision was very close on my truck so require a strip down. I put the new truck on the LOC and paid off when I got the CHQ. Once I started fighting the value of the payout the tactic seem to be to drag out the process. Force me into a settlement at the lower value.

With a 6 month old truck you might have complete replacement value. My coverage offer complete replacement for 30 months. My truck was 36 months old at the time.

ROA
10-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I had a truck stolen. It took 3 months to get payed out. After 2 months they offered me $10,000 less than the truck was worth hoping i would bite. I said no and eneded up getting offered an extra $10,000 a month later. Seems to me there was a manditory wait of 1 month to see if the truck was going to be recovered before they were supposed to pay me out. They can and will play games somtimes.

Norwest Alta
10-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Well she's a write off.

Next question is. Does the bank get the cheque to pay out the debt or do I take the check buy a new truck and transfer the lein over to new truck?

Kristopher10
10-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Well she's a write off.

Next question is. Does the bank get the cheque to pay out the debt or do I take the check buy a new truck and transfer the lein over to new truck?

In my case the insurance company issued the check to the lien holder, then the lien holder issued me a check for the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk