PDA

View Full Version : Post office and firearms

Richard B.
10-11-2017, 11:21 AM
It has been awhile since I shipped a firearm via Canada Post but when I went to the postal outlet they asked me if the package was a firearm. I was uncomfortable with this question and I do not remember being asked when I shipped firearms in the past. Is this a new process or did I just have lazy clerks before?

Digger1
10-11-2017, 11:24 AM
I just receive em. Never send any away! I heard you’re supposed to tell em it’s auto parts.

wildbill
10-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Just shipped the other week, no problem, mind you they didn't ask.

6.5 shooter
10-11-2017, 11:27 AM
NON of their business.

Had it happen once I told her it was a firearm and she asked if there was any ammo I said no...rifle shipped...having said that I would not answer the question the same now..as long as there is no ammo in the package (which you need to send by different methods) I would say none of you business and tell them to mail the package.

Capt. awesome
10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
I shipped one a few months ago. It was completely wrapped but she still knew it was a firearm. Only questions she asked were , is it loaded? is it locked? other than that she didn't care.

Hawkeye
10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
You are not allowed to ship products that are designated as dangerous goods, for example ammunition, gun powder, probably aerosol cans, etc.
To my understanding, there is no such restriction on firearms (they need to be unloaded). On a bolt action rifle, I will generally pull the bolt and wrap it separately.
If they ask what it is, I would simply smile; you are not obliged to answer that.

I recently discovered that you are not allowed to send a parcel that has visible markings as a commercial box for alcohol. I think it was a cardboard beer box and I had to put paper on the it to hide the beer signs.
When I ship in a commercial gun box, I always cover up anything that has gun or the name of a gun manufacturer; I don't think that is required, but it just makes it less 'tempting'.
Overall, my experience has been positive. I think I am contributing to the fitness level of my Canada Post Letter carrier, as they often drop off heavy parcels at my place.
Cheers
Hawkeye

Skytop B
10-11-2017, 11:39 AM
I have received more firearms in the mail than I can count over the years. Have never shipped one out though. I would not tell them it's a firearm. kind of like the "steal me" tags the airlines make you put on firearms.

CaberTosser
10-11-2017, 11:43 AM
It's "Sporting Goods", its insured and the contents are none of their business so long as nothing in the package is on their dangerous goods list (already noted: ammo, powder, test tube of Ebola virus, etc). I might note what it isn't but I sure won't note what it is.

If I'm the one shipping the bolt is out of the firearm and wrapped separately just as with a factory-new rifle. Usually I'll have the factory box and I will overwrap that with two more layers of cardboard from water heater boxes (I always seem to have that around).

redmtn
10-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Canada Post directs parcels by truck, cargo only aircraft as well as passenger aircraft. Firearms are not allowed in mail on passenger aircraft and that would be my guess why they are asking the questions.

averagejoe
10-11-2017, 12:45 PM
NON of their business.

Had it happen once I told her it was a firearm and she asked if there was any ammo I said no...rifle shipped...having said that I would not answer the question the same now..as long as there is no ammo in the package (which you need to send by different methods) I would say none of you business and tell them to mail the package.

Canada Post directs parcels by truck, cargo only aircraft as well as passenger aircraft. Firearms are not allowed in mail on passenger aircraft and that would be my guess why they are asking the questions.

Firearms are not the problem, ammo is the problem. It is a dangerous good and has to be marked and shipped by ground. That is why they asked you if there was ammo in the box.

double gun
10-11-2017, 12:54 PM
NON of their business.

X2.

Newview01
10-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Firearms are not allowed in mail on passenger aircraft and that would be my guess why they are asking the questions.

Where did you get this info?

Jeron Kahyar
10-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Where did you get this info?From: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp#1389620

3.3Firearms (including imitation and replica firearms)

Canada:

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at*cfc-cafc.gc.ca*or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:

Customer Type

Service To Be Used

Consumer

Regular Parcel with Signature option.

Contract customer

Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit*Section*4.3.2 Mail addressed to children of Policies*for an age of majority by province or territory listing.

There cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package. Bullets, cartridges and other ammunition are dangerous goods and cannot be mailed. These items fall under Class 1 (Explosives) of the Canadian*Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations.

Customers who wish to ship firearms must:

unload the firearmsattach a secure locking device to the firearmslock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container, andremove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).

Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations

farmer23
10-11-2017, 01:21 PM
If they ask me the package contains machined parts! That's all they need to know.

redmtn
10-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Where did you get this info?

See Jeron's post

Newview01
10-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Interesting, considering how easy it is to fly with firearms.

TLB73
10-11-2017, 03:35 PM
I just tell them its a very expensive musical instrument so be very careful taking into storage!
LOL

TUFFBUFF
10-11-2017, 03:59 PM

This is the correct answer - I had one inbound that seemed to be taking a bit from S BC. tracked it and went air to edm and got regulated to ground shipping. sent back to orginal depot ground and resent ground from there.

The lady up here has a pretty good eye, asked me if its a gun, told her golf clubs then she asked me again. So told her what it was and she told me the same thing, guns need to go ground.
So if ya don't want to tell them, say sporting goods and send ground please.

huntinstuff
10-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Canada Post expedited with signature is the preferred method for shipping firearms in Canada

It cannot be marked “firearm” so the lady at CP can go to hell if she asks. Defeats the purpose of it being discreet

One lady asked me “is it a gun”

I asked her the color of her panties

Two questions that went unanswered......

guywiththemule
10-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Canada Post expedited with signature is the preferred method for shipping firearms in Canada

It cannot be marked “firearm” so the lady at CP can go to hell if she asks. Defeats the purpose of it being discreet

Two questions that went unanswered......:sHa_shakeshout: ^^like ! Second question is far more important !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dweb
10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
I've shipped a few rifles and never been bothered or asked.

graybeard
10-13-2017, 08:08 AM
If they ask me the package contains machined parts! That's all they need to know.

I have been known to sell a few golf clubs.....

Mangosteen
10-13-2017, 08:17 AM

Two questions that went unanswered......

I like this approach !!! Fantastic for many questions.

Dick284
10-13-2017, 10:49 AM
When one of the kids working at the postal outlet in the drug store is your hunting buddies kid, they can ask, and I will tell. When the wicked witch of the east is there it's none of her business to know, let alone ask, and I've been that blunt with her on a couple of occasions.

.257Weatherby
10-13-2017, 07:02 PM
It has been awhile since I shipped a firearm via Canada Post but when I went to the postal outlet they asked me if the package was a firearm. I was uncomfortable with this question and I do not remember being asked when I shipped firearms in the past. Is this a new process or did I just have lazy clerks before?

When Mike from Canmore buys mine and I take them to a CP Outlet they are already well versed in what is inside the parcel.
His name is synonymus with firearms and they already have it processed for three day delivery
with nary a blink of the eye.

Instead of the paranoia , head over to the Canada Post web site and familiarize yourself with the rules , regulations and tips for posting firearms .
You can also head over to the RCMP Firearms web page and get the skinny there too.

Im beginning to see more and more conspiracy theories migrating over to this Great Forum from that Canadian Beaver Firearm forum and that is getting annoying.

Seriously, familiarize yourself with the process and relax, the government knows where to find our firearms a lot easier than one thinks and Mike from Canmore wont tell them a thing.
Rob

fred1
10-13-2017, 10:57 PM
I sent a rifle to Quebec for warranty work just over a year ago. I sent it in the original cardboard box with a good sized address label attached. It was mailed back to me in the same box but fully wrapped in brown paper.
With it being legal to ship a firearm is there any reason to be offended by questions or to reply to CP employees in an insulting manner?
Maybe this is an opportunity to demonstrate to the public that we as firearms owners can be considerate and respectful people.

icehunter
10-14-2017, 06:31 AM
When sending handguns I mark the box all over.. " contains alien DNA- do not drop, crush,toss or taste." Never had a problem yet! Buyers always get a good chuckle when they receive it.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
10-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Interesting, considering how easy it is to fly with firearms.

Ya, where does the ammo go, by ground it would take a month to get to Africa...:)that's a long time to sit cleaning your rifle waiting for your ammo to arrive...