PDA

View Full Version : Dog blinds

MyAlberta
10-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Heading out on our goose trip next week and have decided to take along our Border Collie. she has never been around guns and could go either way, attack or run. Our strategy is to keep her leashed, but we figured a pop up type blind would give her a hiding place, and warmth. We've been looking without success for a 2' pop up. I'd fashion one up if I could find a source of thin tent type rods (fibreglass/carbon). Anyone know a source for dog blinds or tent parts?

wwbirds
10-11-2017, 02:20 PM
I cant think of any good reason to bring a border collie on a goose hunt. If I was a betting man I would wager nothing good can come from including the dog in this hunt.

fish_e_o
10-11-2017, 02:51 PM
you can buy them at cabelas

i'm not sure why you want to bring a non hunting dog hunting but it sure would be funny to watch

Rancid Crabtree
10-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Border collies often are rather sensitive to loud noise and hate gunshots.
Do the dog a favour and don't bring it.
It's very common for BCs to bolt when around multiple gunshots.

TROLLER
10-11-2017, 03:09 PM
I cant think of any good reason to bring a border collie on a goose hunt. If I was a betting man I would wager nothing good can come from including the dog in this hunt.

X2 You have a great way here of ruining a goose hunt. First time it breaks at the sound of the birds on approach you will see what \I mean. Been there done that and it never works out well. Best to leave an untrained dog at home. BTW Final Approach makes a dog blind that is geared towards field shoot hunting

MK2750
10-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Gun dogs are slowly introduced to gunfire over a period of time starting when they are young. Generally a small calibre rim fire or starter pistol is used followed by an introduction into sub-gauge shotguns and finally the auto loading 12s or even 10s.

To take an intelligent little dog out into a field in the dark, tether her, confine her in a tent where she cant see what is happening, have squawking geese close in on her and then start firing semi automatic shotguns all around her is nothing short of animal abuse.

aulrich
10-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Don't, a friend was up in K-country with his dogs, when near by gun fire spooked his dog. The dog spent 9 days in the bush before it was finally recovered.

Nothing good comes from taking an untrained dog hunting, especially in a higher stress environment like a goose pit.

Vacation
10-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Took my collie upland hunting as a kid as I thought that would be fun.... The dog ran away after the first shot. Spent the rest of the day looking for it. It was still shaking when we found him.

Okotokian
10-11-2017, 04:10 PM

I'm inclined to agree with birds, though I certainly understand the urge to bring a beloved dog along. My Brittany (that is a decent retriever) is largely deaf now, and though deafness often occurs in dogs, I do often wonder if me shooting over him for years hastened it. Feel guilty about it actually. My son shot over me once, and I swear I still have ringing...

If you must bring hum let him run around while you are setting up, and then put him in the truck.

nitro
10-11-2017, 04:24 PM
I agree loud noises and border collies tend not to mix well.Our cross breed could hear a thunderstorm coming for a long while before we could and found someplace to hide.She was not real great with gunfire even at long distances or fire works and she was brought up with gunfire around her.I really can't imagine what would happen to her in a duck blind.She may very well break her tether and run, she may bite others,and almost certainly if she is not afraid of loud noises now well she will be after this .This is how you get a gun shy dog in any breed.Also IMHO this is a pretty cruel thing to do to a dog.

MyAlberta
10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
I'm hearing your opinions and appreciate the response. She'll have a warm blanket in the truck while we are in the field. I figured she could 'hide' in a blind, but it could put her over the edge.

Battle Rat
10-11-2017, 05:09 PM
I don't think the breed of dog has anything to do with the sensitivity of ears.
I've had a border collie accompany me many times with gun in hand.
It's just not a good idea introduce a dog to gun fire for the first time during a goose shoot.
Do it slowly starting with a 22 from a distance.
Get to the point where a treat is given following the low noise shot and build up from there.

MyAlberta
10-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Our Collie had a great week. plenty of run time in the wide open, yet into the truck promptly when requested for shoots. She will definitely come again.