PDA

View Full Version : House insurance if you reload ammo

blackburbot
10-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with getting house insurance if they reload ammo. I might of opened a can of worms by telling my insurance company that I reload ammo. Now they are talking about dropping me after having insurance with them for 10 years.

Does anyone know of companies that want someone that reloads?

They were more willing to take me on if I knowingly admitted that my place was a former grow-op

357Maximum
10-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Which Insurance Company ?

Scott N
10-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Why would you tell them about a perfectly legal, safe hobby?

elkhunter11
10-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Co-operators is one company that won't cover a residence where reloading takes place.

6MT
10-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with getting house insurance if they reload ammo. I might of opened a can of worms by telling my insurance company that I reload ammo. Now they are talking about dropping me after having insurance with them for 10 years.

They were more willing to take me on if I knowingly admitted that my place was a former grow-op

Yeah, you shouldn't have opened your mouth. The less any insurance company knows about you, the better. Risk evaluators try to find any excuse to raise your rates.

I'll never tell my insurance company anything. Good luck with that.

elkhunter11
10-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't have opened your mouth. The less any insurance company knows about you, the better. Risk evaluators try to find any excuse to raise your rates.

I'll never tell my insurance company anything. Good luck.

And if the contract that you sign specifies that reloading in the residence voids the policy, they can refuse to honor any claims if they discover that reloading took place in the residence.

blackburbot
10-12-2017, 01:41 PM
TD meloche monnex....just if you ever have an incident and they find out you have equipment you get your claim denied. You just find out that you were paying $2500/year for nothing. Catch 22 situation

ScubaSteve
10-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Until your house burns down for an unrelated reason, the adjuster sees the equipment, and boom, claim denied because in section bla bla bla it states you can't reload in the home.

Best to disclose up front, than have insurance denied after a catastrophe.

6MT
10-12-2017, 02:15 PM
And if the contract that you sign specifies that reloading in the residence voids the policy, they can refuse to honor any claims if they discover that reloading took place in the residence.

Yes, they can.

Headdamage
10-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Has anyone's home ever burned because of reloading?

artie
10-12-2017, 03:44 PM
I wonder if you had a garage that was not attached to the house if they would let you reload in there.

calgarygringo
10-12-2017, 03:58 PM
I am in the business though not in the insurance myself. I asked around the office and yes it is a factor for insurance. Some will not cover and some charge an extra premium. It was suggested to tell you to call your broker or agent and confirm what your company covers or not. Dont need a surprise when you blow up your house.

colroggal
10-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Sorry to use common sense - a skill any reloader should be moderately familiar with - but a few pounds of smokeless powder if stored properly will not contribute to a house fire any more readily than the shelf full of books in the den. A jar of peanut butter is just as dangerous as a jar of varget.

Now in the absence of common sense...

These are the same insurance companies that don't bat an eye at vinyl siding and eight foot breezeways.

Colin

devo11
10-12-2017, 08:06 PM
It's a myth. Honestly, every insurer will cover your home regardless of reloading equipment. As long as it isn't used as a business you're fine. But email them for a reply so you can sleep easy at night.

calgarygringo
10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
They will insure you but if something goes sideways you leave yourself open for a claim to be denied. You would be surprised at things your agents are supposed to ask. Some companies refuse policies for certain types of dogs now, some charge more premium etc. Don't let them know and you could be hooped on a claim and you have no recourse. Just sayin.

FishHunterPro
10-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Go get new insurance and don't tell them that you reload . Done .

270person
10-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Has anyone's home ever burned because of reloading?

I've thought mine was when I've been offloading.

midgetwaiter
10-16-2017, 02:44 PM
TD meloche monnex....just if you ever have an incident and they find out you have equipment you get your claim denied. You just find out that you were paying $2500/year for nothing. Catch 22 situation

Interesting, I was going to get a quote from them as my wife gets a good alumni discount for our car insurance. Guess not so much now.

I requested a copy of the latest contract from our current provider, Morgex / Johnson and reloading is not mentioned.

Sundancefisher
10-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Go get new insurance and don't tell them that you reload . Done .

Careful

Insurance companies share info on potential clients. Get caught in a lie or at the time of incident get caught in breach and you lose...everything...every time.

If you are over 60 and need a medical form for out of province travel...devil is in the details.

On the form if it states have you ever been treated for heart disease...if you are in great shape you write no down. However treatment also includes testing regardless of results. In the instance of a heart attack you will be denied.

Have an insurance policy that says you don't have reloading equipment and the furnace catches fire and your house burns down...and they find you had reloading equipment...your whole claim will be denied because they void your policy because they said had you been honest your premiums would of been higher blah blah blah.

Don't take a chance on insurance. Not worth have it gone when you need it the most.

ex811
10-16-2017, 07:36 PM
I built a shed out back that will house my forge.
Wife though it was a good idea to check with the insurance...good thing we did.
After Many Many questions and a few conversations with the underwriters we found out that we are covered, but only if we obey bylaws and don't change the specifics of what I told them today. And that was for a detached shed with a propane forge..Yikes!!

srs123
10-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Co-operators is one company that won't cover a residence where reloading takes place.

Co operstors almost cost me my license . Dont use them

Newview01
10-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Co operstors almost cost me my license . Dont use them

Cooperators is consistently more expensive every time I price check, on every type of insurance.

silverdoctor
10-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Cooperators is consistently more expensive every time I price check, on every type of insurance.

Which reminds me, time to start hunting around for cheaper insurance.

Trochu
10-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Why would you tell them about a perfectly legal, safe hobby?

The same reason you tell them you have a perfectly legal, safe fire place. If your house burns to the ground you don't want to be refused a claim.

Scott N
10-17-2017, 04:50 AM
The same reason you tell them you have a perfectly legal, safe fire place. If your house burns to the ground you don't want to be refused a claim.

Point taken, but were does the "disclosure" end? Does "your" insurance company know about the paint, solvents, 1 pounders of propane, etc. in your basement or garage? Do they know how close your BBQ is to the house? If it's a legal activity, and components are stored as per law, I'd like to see how a claim could be refused.

If anyone's policy actually has a line specifying "reloading ammunition", I'd be curious to see how it's worded. "Co-operators" seems to be the exception.

58thecat
10-17-2017, 05:45 AM

Or have a BBQ or have a can of WD40 on the work bench....thier ignorance is thier loss of clients:snapoutofit:

58thecat
10-17-2017, 05:46 AM
Which reminds me, time to start hunting around for cheaper insurance.

Yup and its out there with more coverage too.

FishHunterPro
10-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Careful

Insurance companies share info on potential clients. Get caught in a lie or at the time of incident get caught in breach and you lose...everything...every time.

If you are over 60 and need a medical form for out of province travel...devil is in the details.

On the form if it states have you ever been treated for heart disease...if you are in great shape you write no down. However treatment also includes testing regardless of results. In the instance of a heart attack you will be denied.

Have an insurance policy that says you don't have reloading equipment and the furnace catches fire and your house burns down...and they find you had reloading equipment...your whole claim will be denied because they void your policy because they said had you been honest your premiums would of been higher blah blah blah.

Don't take a chance on insurance. Not worth have it gone when you need it the most.

I wouldn't want to lie about it, that's definetly a different story but if my policy doesn't have that in the rules I'm not going to bring it up to them.

Scott N
10-17-2017, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't want to lie about it, that's definetly a different story but if my policy doesn't have that in the rules I'm not going to bring it up to them.

My thoughts exactly. If it's not specified in the policy, I'm not bring it up.

riden
10-17-2017, 10:12 AM
It's a myth. Honestly, every insurer will cover your home regardless of reloading equipment. As long as it isn't used as a business you're fine. But email them for a reply so you can sleep easy at night.

My house burnt down, had nothing to do with my reloading gear. Not a word said and all the reloading gear was covered by my insurance.

I have insurance with TD

Hunt4Ever
10-17-2017, 10:40 PM

I’m with Co-operators, I inquired with them about reloading and told I’m covered. Read over my house policy, doesn’t mention anything about reloading.

Rastus
10-18-2017, 05:57 AM
I do not know if your house is covered or not, but to listen to a person on the end of a phone call say, it is covered, is wrong, because that person will say anything to protect their policy. I have been trailering for 60 years and I say something about trailering and the person I am talking to says that the 16 year old kid at the trailer shop knows more than me. I say OK, I am wrong, the next week he goes out and flips his trailer, insurance will not cover it and the trailer shop denials the 16 year old kid said that. Guess what, "I AM WRONG" Oh well.

3blade
10-18-2017, 10:13 AM
^ this

Get every interaction with an insurance company in writing, and store it in a safe deposit box or somewhere secure off site. They are not there to help you.

DExplorer
11-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Never even considered that this might be an issue. Sorry they are being such knobs about it.