PDA

View Full Version : NAFTA, Marketing Boards, PQ, and the Pipeline

densa44
10-12-2017, 04:21 PM
To those who are watching these negotiations there may be an opening here to get the pipeline that the country desperately needs. IME the province of Quebec has a very strong agricultural lobby and marketing boards have almost religious significance.

The negotiation are not going to be easy but Trump seems to like our PM, he is the only one that doesn't make fun of him or sling insults. The Americans hate supply management and these negotiations may see its demise. However JT has said Canada may leave the talks, that would end supply management and the PQ farmers would howl.

There may be a way to use the Federal government's considerable leverage with the Province of Quebec to lean on Montreal (I think I remember when the farmers all drove their tractors into the city to stop traffic, loads of manure come to mind also). Coderre said prophetically "There is not enough in it for Montreal" well maybe it can be worked that supply management and the pipe are linked in a truly Canadian deal.

It is worth a shot, and I'm pretty sure the feds have thought of this, stay tuned.

fish_e_o
10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
trumpy hinted at a nafta without mexico.

that would be really good for canada

Stinky Buffalo
10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Interesting line of thought, Densa44... Definitely worth keeping an eye on this!

Scott h
10-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Very interesting times ahead. There's a lot of people sweating on both sides of the border right now.

elkhunter11
10-12-2017, 05:16 PM
You give Trudeau far more credit than he deserves. I doubt that he is smart enough to think of this, and I really doubt that he will risk offending Quebec. As for Trump liking Trudeau, it's just as likely that he is simply pretending to like him to take advantage of him.

dmcbride
10-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't know if Trump likes our PM, actions speak louder than words. I doubt Trump liked that donation to the Clinton foundation, or Trudeau's speeches to world leaders basically calling out Trump without ever saying "trump", the Khadr payout, Boeing, you get the idea.

I think it is because both countries beniffit from the trade between our 2 countries other than the issues of subsidies, supply management, tariffs Ect. We have a good relationship. Mexico is a whole different issue for both countries and the reason Trump wanted a new deal.

That being said, I do hope, as much as I don't like Trudeau that he negotiates a better deal for Canadians. Most of Trumps issues are with Quebec when it comes to Canada. I don't know what the answer is, but our country is really divided right now from what I a seeing. Trudeau is going to have to make some tuff decisions. His friends and family are being effected in Quebec, the Transmountain pipeline is held up in court for the same reasons as Northern Gateway, TransCanada walked away from EnergyEast and Trump is calling the shots on the Keystone pipeline. I would not want to be in Trudeau's shoes right now, record spending outside a war or reccesion while running large deficits.

Good thread, something needs to happen.

EZM
10-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I am not optimistic. Trump has demonstrated a total lack of respect for international laws as they relate to ruling issued by the international trade tribunal, nor is he honouring NAFTA where it doesn't suit him.

How does one expect that he is going to react toward Canada?

Scott h
10-12-2017, 05:42 PM
This may force the rest of the country to realize that we should have more markets for our oil and gas other than the USA. With friends like them, we really don't need enemies.....

densa44
10-12-2017, 07:05 PM
It isn't the PM alone that decides the negotiating strategy there is a very talented team. Mulrooney signed the first one and his problem was with Quebec. JT has a chance to convince Quebec that if they don't do something to help Canada the feds will "just lose" the supply side debate. That would cause the Provincial government in Quebec much grief and the feds would say don't blame us it was Trump.

I think that this could work.

Unregistered user
10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
trumpy hinted at a nafta without mexico.

that would be really good for canada

Either way, they pay for the wall.