PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone give me a hand in Manning?

4stringed
10-13-2017, 06:43 PM
So story is, I came up to wmu 527 this weekend to try and fill an antlerless elk tag. 2 hr in i hit a rut along a logging road and bottom out my car and get it stuck. Spent the next 4 hours trying to engineer a fix and eventually went looking for help. Luckily an absolout saint stopped and gave me a hand but to no avail. So here I am in Manning trying to sort it out. My obvious solution is to get a tow truck to yank me out but it's about 40 minutes from Manning and I know what a kick in the teeth that bill will be, especially when I don't need an actual tow anywhere. The other option is maybe someone on this forum would be willing to come help me out with a tow rope and a truck, if you'd want to go hunting afterwards I'd split the meat with you if successful and buy you a case of beer regardless. Total shot in the dark here but I figure I'd ask before booking the tow truck tomorrow.
Please no mean comments, I already feel infinitely stupid and it's been a really long day
-Kelly

wildwoods
10-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Hope you find some. Keep us posted

obsessed1
10-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Have you tried using your jack to lift it out tire by tire? It's slow going but lift one tire at a time and put brush under to get enough ground clearance to drive out. I'm in GP right now so it's a bit far for me to give you a hand. Maybe someone a but more local will give you a hand

4stringed
10-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input, I did try that, i couldn't get the front tires jacked up because of the way the rut was. I tried digging enough space to get it under but I only had my hatchet and it was frozen mud and after a couple close calls I decided it wasn't worth risking swinging the hatchet next to the tires (cause that's all I'd need is a slashed tire on top of things). The thin layer of snow covered up how deep the rut was but now that it's melted I look like a real moron trying to take that on with my car. There's a few other things I'd try if I had a way to get out there but being stranded in Manning (Which is a lovely little town btw) I don't have a lot of options
-Kelly

TBark
10-13-2017, 08:48 PM
Hope it works out for you.
And show is a pic of a cow elk in your trunk too, or on your roof.

TBark

roper1
10-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Which direction from Manning are you ?

4stringed
10-13-2017, 09:00 PM
I'm staying in Manning for the night and the car is in near clear hills

4stringed
10-13-2017, 09:12 PM
And when I say clear hills that's just what it says in Google maps, it's around the west part of the wmu on a logging road. I can pm you more details

roper1
10-13-2017, 09:31 PM
PM sent.

sns2
10-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Right on Roper

4stringed
10-13-2017, 11:28 PM
Roper had a lead that didn't work out as the guy he knows is out hunting this weekend, I'm still looking for help

KegRiver
10-14-2017, 12:11 AM
check you inbox

35 whelen
10-14-2017, 06:31 AM
When you said car I'm guessing you're in a car unfortunately that's your first mistake good luck getting out keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

obsessed1
10-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Have you got out yet?

BCSteel
10-14-2017, 08:16 AM
When you said car I'm guessing you're in a car unfortunately that's your first mistake good luck getting out keep us posted

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using TapatalkWhat's wrong with a car? I did a 7 day hunt this year with a lowered Subaru wrx. Left with a few grouse and a deer in the back. Then went to BC and loaded up on salmon.

1899b
10-14-2017, 08:26 AM
What's wrong with a car? I did a 7 day hunt this year with a lowered Subaru wrx. Left with a few grouse and a deer in the back. Then went to BC and loaded up on salmon.

Yup it can be done but you just need to be extra careful and judge your terrain properly...

ROA
10-14-2017, 08:34 AM
What's wrong with a car? I did a 7 day hunt this year with a lowered Subaru wrx. Left with a few grouse and a deer in the back. Then went to BC and loaded up on salmon.

I did it back when I was starting out in life and it was all that I had that was road worthy at the time. Was also new to northren albarta and didn't know what I was getting into.... So, to answer your question "whats wrong with a car?" My answer "Everything" Mine wasent 4 wd either, but yes I did make it work-ish and no I would never ever do it again.

Oh and sorry OP I live to far away to give you a pull other wise I would.

35 whelen
10-14-2017, 09:10 AM
I also used to hunt with a car and had to walk out 20-plus miles for a tow that's why it's a mistake unless you're totally prepared even then I've been stuck in trucks but never had to walk too far LOL

sns2
10-14-2017, 09:14 AM
We all need to remember what it was like when we were younger, couldn't afford what we wanted, and had different priorities. There isn't a guy on this forum that would rather hunt out of a car, but the reality is that you do whatever you need to do,especially when you are younger. Some of my best hunting trips ever were in a 1990 Toyota Tercel coupe. Fit two deer in the trunk one time. Horns and hooves hanging out everywhere. LOL.

colour86
10-14-2017, 09:19 AM
cars work fine, hatchbacks even better. its just comes to access with a car which is the issue here I would assume. Need clearence and larger tires to get into most areas. All depends on your hunting area, there are a few areas I go to on farmland where a car would do just as good as a truck unless your after a moose or something.

Redfrog
10-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Looks like this thread headed in the rhubarb with the car. Not very helpful.

Zip
10-14-2017, 09:34 AM
I hope things worked out okay and you got your car back out onto good roads once again...I just moved away from peace River area in August...or I would have gladly drove up to help ya..I sure hope somebody stepped up and helped out...good luck.
Zip

FellSwoop
10-14-2017, 09:45 AM
If you do need a row, Randy at Manning Collision is a decent fellow. He helped me our a few years ago when I was car hunting and dropped a transmission.

4stringed
10-14-2017, 09:49 AM
I've had a couple leads but nothing has panned out yet. I'm just headed out to the hardware store to see if I can get a camp shovel and some 2x6s. If I can get the Jack under the front wheels I think I can get it out. I just didn't have a shovel to do it with. If I can find what I think I need I might just need a ride out there.
-Kelly

35 whelen
10-14-2017, 09:58 AM
If things don't work out and you need money for a tow I can donate $50 to the cost

Canadasnowman
10-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Sorry I am unable to help, if I were any where near you I'd jump at it. Not a fun situation to be in, been there done it, brand new truck, stuck for 8 hours, till a GOutfitter helped us many years ago.

All the best to you, I hope some one helps you. and good on ya getting out even with a car. Shat happens.

aardvaark
10-14-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm somewhat familiar with that area as I've hunted there for many seasons now. I'd help you but I'm not there and won't be until about Nov15 and you'll be out by then.

Go to a gas station or restaurant and chat up some hunters (they're not hard to spot), and try to convince them to come out and help you. I've met quite a few hunters over the years that are really decent guys. You might have to ask a few of them, but I'm sure that would work.

Diligence
10-14-2017, 10:45 AM
...find a local church tomorrow morning and tell your story...might have some good luck. I had friends who have done that before in similar situations in a foreign land.

Mountain Guy
10-14-2017, 10:59 AM
A tow job won't break the bank.
Check out the reference someone posted.
Sometimes you need to do what you have to do.

BCSteel
10-14-2017, 11:05 AM
I did it back when I was starting out in life and it was all that I had that was road worthy at the time. Was also new to northren albarta and didn't know what I was getting into.... So, to answer your question "whats wrong with a car?" My answer "Everything" Mine wasent 4 wd either, but yes I did make it work-ish and no I would never ever do it again.

Oh and sorry OP I live to far away to give you a pull other wise I would.So other than your superiority complex, nothing is wrong with hunting from a car.

4stringed
10-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Ok so I managed to pick up a few supplies that I think I can get my car out with. If anyone could give me a ride out to it and wait to make sure my plan is successful, I believe that's all I need
-Kelly

kujoseto
10-14-2017, 12:16 PM

If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand the answer.
Can outdoors activities be done from a car? Yes. That's not the point. Northern, remote, logging roads after a very wet year = setting yourself up for a high probability of this predicament.

Don_Parsons
10-14-2017, 12:42 PM
I use to harvest game with a Pontiac Feairo.

It's a son of a booch getting Elk into the passenger seat,,, lucky my unit come with a sun roof so the head, horns and front legs could hang out over the back end. Ha

Best harvest unit I ever owned,,, took out a Cow Moose the following year with that car, mind you the Moose piled up the front end petty good when I took the legs off of it at 50 mpr.

Don

CodyCousins
10-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Kelly, texted me 7806260721

double gun
10-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Any updates?

4stringed
10-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Hey everyone thought I'd give another update. Keg river is coming to give me a ride out to my car. Armed with my wood blocks and shovel I'm going to get that car out of there once and for all. I'll give another update when I have the ol girl safely in the motel parking lot

beaver hunter
10-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...

4stringed
10-15-2017, 12:54 AM
Well my phone is not cooperating with uploading a picture here but let me assure you Keg River is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and pulled my sorry charger out of the mud. Thanks everyone for all the words of support and advice over the last couple days. Thanks to redfrog for giving me keg rivers info and obviously a big public thank you to keg river who really turned out to be the hero here. Also to Daniel the aspen processor who picked my muddy self up on the side of the highway and initially helped me and gave me a ride to Manning. I'm going to get a chance to go out for a little bit tomorrow and do a bit of hunting before having to make the trek back to Edmonton, with any luck I might still be able to put some meat in the freezer
-Kelly

catnthehat
10-15-2017, 12:57 AM
Good show!
Keg us fantastic people ,
Good that you can st salvage a bit of your hunt!:)
Cat

JohninAB
10-15-2017, 03:47 AM
Glad to hear you got your vehicle unstuck with the help of KegRiver.

Good luck on your hunt today.

KegRiver, that was a mighty fine job on your behalf coming to the aide of a stranger like that. As stated before, you are fantastic people.

Wolftrapper
10-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear you got your vehicle unstuck with the help of KegRiver.

Good luck on your hunt today.

KegRiver, that was a mighty fine job on your behalf coming to the aide of a stranger like that. As stated before, you are fantastic people.

I agree 100%.

Redfrog
10-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Glad you got out.

And yes Keg River is one of the good guys. He and his wife are two of my favorite people. A lot of us could take a page from their book.

CBintheNorth
10-15-2017, 08:35 AM
I've never met Keg, but you can tell the grit of people by their words, and keg's got lots of it.
Good on ya Keg.

Glad you got your car out. Hopefully you bump into what ever you're after before you have to leave.

sns2
10-15-2017, 08:43 AM
How come this does not surprise me one bit in who ended up helping out?

V45 sabre
10-15-2017, 08:50 AM
That's awesome good to hear you got out.

Benelli1
10-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Acollades to Keg, may good Karma come your way.

kujoseto
10-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Not surprised keg river helped out. He's that kinda guy!
I see now that I'm saying the same as sns2

double gun
10-15-2017, 12:04 PM
I've only met Keg and his wife once, but yes they are salt of the earth.

KegRiver
10-15-2017, 02:45 PM
A couple of years ago I went for a drive along the bank of the Peace River.
I was looking for a better place to do a bit of fishing.

We hadn't had rain in weeks, the beach was hard and dry, I had a 4x4. What could go wrong?

Naturally there was one soft spot and I found it, too late to stop. Next thing I know my front bumper is in the sand and I can't move. Not even in 4x4 with four wheel lock up in. And no cell service for miles.

I'm on a beach, no tree for a hundred yards or more. Nothing to winch from.
On soft sand, nothing for a jack to push on.

I had seen a hunting camp on the way in so off I went to see if they might help.

Turned out to be five guys from around Edmonton. Yes they would help, no they would NOT take any form of payment.

So I pay it forward. It's what I was taught to do, it's what everyone I know does.

Did Red tell you about the time his truck broke down and a farmer loaned him a truck to drive so his hunt would not be ruined.

What is never apparent is that I --- we get as much out of helping as those we help do.

I got to meet an awesome young man. I was very impressed with how prepared he was and with no mentor to guide him.
He is the sort of person one instantly likes. I absolutely love his indomitable spirit, his cheery attitude even in the midst of disaster.

It was one of those situations that even an old bush bunny like me could wind up in at any time.

The road was mostly dry, and it was not soft or slippery, except for that one spot. and even then, not soft or muddy. just a wee bit slippery and two deep ruts that one could easily straddle.

One could drive through there with that car one hundred times in a row without a single issue. But that one time.
A wheel slips and there you are one blink of an eye later. Four wheels not touching ground.

And this young man, with no one to tell him what to do in a situation like that, tried every trick I know of to get himself out. I could see that he had nearly succeeded. As far as anyone could have got in that situation, with what he had at his disposal.

Who wouldn't have helped?

I'd bet the farm that nine out of ten who knew the situation, would have helped if they could, and been glad they were able to.

I do this because others have helped me, many many times over the years.
And a good many times, I got in trouble because I did something I knew or suspected was a poor idea.

I saw nothing on that road last night that would have made me wonder if it maybe might be a good idea not go any further.

This is what community is about. It's what being human is about.

This is what makes living worth doing.

sns2
10-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Very, very well said.

Albertacoyotecaller
10-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Good job Keg. Just saw this thread or I would have drove up from a Peace.