PDA

View Full Version : Big Buddy vs Buddy Heater

makemeasammich
10-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Looking to buy one of these heaters (big buddy heater or buddy heater). I've got a 2-3 man hunting blind that I would use it the most for, and would use it ice fishing as well. Just curious whether you guys would recommend the big or the regular one.

Blastoff
10-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Smaller size, works in my fish tent just fine.

JohninAB
10-16-2017, 09:48 AM
I would recommend the Big Buddy. Can turn it down if required but has the extra heat capability too which may come in handy. I use the Big Buddy and have never, ever regretted having the extra BTU's.

CodyCousins
10-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Big buddy! Spend the extra and get the hose and a 20 pound bottle for it! Last for ever that way! Other wise I found it goes through the little bottles pretty quick

C & C
10-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I use the Buddy heater on my 4 man (really a 2 man I think) and it works just fine. Even on the -30 days with tons of wind its good. I do use a small bottle a day but I tend to walk and move a lot and packing a bigger bottle would suck.

I also hang a battery powered CO2 monitor, never had it go off but always hang it just incase.

On the really cold days I sometimes have trouble with condensation freezing my tent at the end of the day if I take too long to pack up after turning the heater off.

EZM
10-16-2017, 10:29 AM
I would recommend the Big Buddy. Can turn it down if required but has the extra heat capability too which may come in handy. I use the Big Buddy and have never, ever regretted having the extra BTU's.

I agree - The big buddy is larger, but really not that much bigger. The really good feature is you won't ever be cold and have the option to turn one or two burners on and get it toasty.

JohninAB has enjoyed the heat of my Big Buddy on some pretty darn cold and windy days out there. I use a large Clam insulated tent and I'm glad we had the big buddy.

It also has a fan (battery powered) which is a really great feature actually making it a uniform heat in your tent unlike the "donair only" setting on the ones without the fan.

sns2
10-16-2017, 05:29 PM
When you are in the cold is there ever a scenario where having more heat is a bad thing? I think not.

I have a bug buddy and am dang glad I do.

JohninAB
10-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Big buddy! Spend the extra and get the hose and a 20 pound bottle for it! Last for ever that way! Other wise I found it goes through the little bottles pretty quick

Make sure you get the filter if you go this route.

DisplacedCaper
10-17-2017, 12:05 AM
I have the buddy heater, heats my 4 man ice shack great. Have used it in a tent trailer a few times and was very thankful I had it. I even used it in my small garage (single car) a couple times while doing work and though it wasn’t sweltering it did the trick, at least took the edge off. More heats always better, I liked the portability of the buddy and it was on sale when I grabbed it a few years ago so that kinda made my decision for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Heavyhitr
10-17-2017, 12:13 AM
When you are in the cold is there ever a scenario where having more heat is a bad thing? I think not.

I have a bug buddy and am dang glad I do.

Exactly. Big Buddy is awesome.

calgarygringo
10-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Big buddy all the way. You can always turn down the big buddy if too hot but you cant turn up the little buddy if not enough heat. I have a friend that has the little buddy and his tent is barely warm if real cold and I can be toasty in mine.
Once you can drive on the ice a 20 lb tank makes it even better to use. Other than that I burn one pounders early season when pushing out the sled. I have a carrying case too that I can put a spare on each side plus the 2 inside and that will last me the day.
I am on my second one too. Bought my first many years ago stateside before they were sold in Canada. My first one the plastic was brittle and pieces falling off every time out. Finally bought a new one and works great. We even have one in our deck room too for taking the chill off.