PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the Pheasant Release Truck

Bigwoodsman
10-17-2017, 10:40 AM
To keep the Pheasant Release Site thread whole, and not to derail it with discussion of release times, release truck hunters, etc. I thought I'd start this new thread.

Personally I find it repulsive that so called hunters would chase after the release truck. How is that sporting?

I'm pretty sure that those who hunt the chicken-truck, aren't active members of AO. I also understand that those who hunt the truck aren't breaking any public laws or regulations. However they sure as hell aren't doing anything to foster the relationship between non-hunters and those who hunt pheasants with out worrying about the release truck.

I feel closing the release sites at 2PM daily with random releases made after 2PM would allow the birds to spread out through the site without the hunting pressure. It would allow the birds better dispersal on the site.

What are your thought on those who hunt the truck?

BW

JoshT
10-17-2017, 10:47 AM
I also agree, hunting the release truck is a tad unethical and dangerous I'm sure in most instances. As was mentioned in the other thread some can't make it out until after work. Rather than close the site at 2pm. I would suggest they release the birds in the morning and don't open this site until 0900 or thereabouts.

MK2750
10-17-2017, 10:55 AM
From the other thread;

Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.

elkhunter11
10-17-2017, 11:02 AM
I also agree, hunting the release truck is a tad unethical and dangerous I'm sure in most instances. As was mentioned in the other thread some can't make it out until after work. Rather than close the site at 2pm. I would suggest they release the birds in the morning and don't open this site until 0900 or thereabouts.

Do you realize how many sites there are, and how far each truck travels during the course of a day? In order to have all birds released by 9 or 10, the truck driver would likely have to start work at 2 or 3am or so, and he would be driving into release sites that could be muddy or slippery in the dark. The only solution that would be practical, is to release on random days during each week. Of course that would mean that there may be back to back releases, and then a few days with no release, but I don't see any other way that would be practical. As far as predicting the release schedule, it has been very consistent the past few weeks, and most of us regular's have figured it out. I have only gone out twice in the past month or so, when I expected a release, and there wasn't one. As to driving an hour to a site to get no birds, it's called hunting, if you want guaranteed birds, buy them, and not bother with the hunting. When you add up the cost of licenses, shotguns, ammunition, fuel , vehicle wear and tear etc, it would be just as cheap to buy the birds.

As to hunting the truck, they could start by making it illegal to discharge a firearm while the truck is on the site. Have the driver honk his horn when he enters so that people know that he has arrived, and then honk when he leaves . And if you can't hear the horn, and you can't see the truck, then you are far enough away so as to not be a concern. To make this even less confusing, have the driver use an air horn, and honk two times when he arrives, and four times when he leaves.

Bigwoodsman
10-17-2017, 11:13 AM
From the other thread;

Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.

I agree with you, release sites are a great place to hunt. I've had great experiences, never any problems with hunters that hunt the site, not the truck!

They are put their to take, it doesn't bother me if they shoot them from a tree or spot and stalk them on the ground. Just don't slaughter them right off the truck.

I don't hunt them for the tail feathers and don't care how many bars they have on the tail feather. I enjoy eating these birds as well as chasing my dog after them. I don't need the limit to be happy, its the hunt not the kill that does it for me, always has been.

BW

sns2
10-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Forums are places for discussions. As long as it stays civil, discuss to your hearts' content. I have personally had 95% great experiences at the release sites, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone without a dog shooting birds on the ground, in the sky, or out of a tree for that matter, as long as safety is exercised. However, that does not negate the reality of people who have encountered rude and/or unsafe hunters. All programs can be improved, and that is why the ACA puts out survey forms at the sites. Fill them out. They are read. Carry on boys. Hunt safe.

MK2750
10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
I agree with you, release sites are a great place to hunt. I've had great experiences, never any problems with hunters that hunt the site, not the truck!

They are put their to take, it doesn't bother me if they shoot them from a tree or spot and stalk them on the ground. Just don't slaughter them right off the truck.

I don't hunt them for the tail feathers and don't care how many bars they have on the tail feather. I enjoy eating these birds as well as chasing my dog after them. I don't need the limit to be happy, its the hunt not the kill that does it for me, always has been.

BW

I have never experienced this "slaughter off the truck" and have watched many releases. The birds fly 20 to 100s of yards and shortly there after guys and dogs are chasing them down. If it happens right now or in an hour or so makes little difference. There is some that just hide and some that are strong flyers and head for cover. Some head right on out of the site.

I don't hunt feathers either. I mention this to let folks know there is pheasant hunting beyond the release site with big healthy birds that actually know they are in danger. They can easily be identified as they are well groomed and have long healthy tails.

It is the hunt, the table fare and watching the dogs that does it for me as well. The dog's enjoyment increases with the amount of birds found and retrieved. I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

skain11
10-17-2017, 11:39 AM
I also believe that the release program is meeting it's objective. No one is suggesting that nobody fish the hundreds of lakes that are stocked. However ethical behavior is really only governed by conscience. Last year I drove 2 hours to a new to me area near Brooks. I was the only hunter there that day and while I was unloading and preparing for a hike with my dog, the release truck pulled into the parking lot and I got a wave from the driver. It was then my decision to sit down behind my vehicle with my coffee and to turn my vision opposite of the direction the truck headed. 20 minutes later he left after a brief hello and chat. We then went for a walk and three hours later we had our birds but only flushed 4 or 5 as the area was huge. And because I don't much like hiking among the crowds and whistles and yelling that can be common at some sites, we now head further afield for private access and wild birds. However not everyone has that option and regardless how we feel, some will always try and hit the easy button.

2 Tollers
10-17-2017, 02:21 PM
From the other thread;

Agreed and hunting release sites are the only locations that I have for birds. While I personally would walk away from a release truck to let released birds settle in there is nothing illegal for those that ground swat or shoot birds that are roosted. Each to their own as long as it is safe. I do like the expanded number of areas and hopefully there will be more added in the future.

Pheasants do seem to be the elk of the upland bird hunting world as the pursuit of them does bring forward some interesting behaviours that can be observed in the field.

calvin
10-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Forums are places for discussions. As long as it stays civil, discuss to your hearts' content. I have personally had 95% great experiences at the release sites, and I certainly don't begrudge anyone without a dog shooting birds on the ground, in the sky, or out of a tree for that matter, as long as safety is exercised. However, that does not negate the reality of people who have encountered rude and/or unsafe hunters. All programs can be improved, and that is why the ACA puts out survey forms at the sites. Fill them out. They are read. Carry on boys. Hunt safe.

excellent comment. in a perfect world i would love to see a caretaker at each of the sites that monitors animals, hunters, weather, and all that goes on at each main release site. the 1 job that i would love to see is that the 'chicken truck' hands over the birds to the caretaker at whatever time they get there. and the caretaker then proceeds out to the site and distributes the birds equally and fairly. i would also like to see a few trails mowed with a few natural benches made so participants can take a rest and if need be have a butt in a place that is mowed and kept clean of veg so as to lower the fire risk. now i think that with a little bit of organization and commitment it could be a realty. but most of all, cooperation, organization, and commitment is what would be needed to make my perfect scenario come about. i know, good luck with that.

Chief16
10-17-2017, 05:10 PM
I have never been to a pheasant release site, but how many pheasants are released when the truck shows up? Just curious and trying to picture what goes on at the sites, thanks!

sns2
10-17-2017, 05:25 PM
I have never been to a pheasant release site, but how many pheasants are released when the truck shows up? Just curious and trying to picture what goes on at the sites, thanks!

I think it all depends on how busy the particular site is. One forum member told me he saw 90 released at a site this year. The driver goes to a spot, opens the crate, and they fly out. Some go like hell. Others fly a short distance and walk around. If there is a parking lot full of trucks there does exist the potential for some less than safe behavior if you know what I mean, but done safely there also exists the opportunity of a great time.

I am never going to be falsely pious. Some guys I know head the other direction. I am out there to train my young dog, go home with our bag limit, and discuss the events of the hunt with my son and my buddies. When I hear the shots ring out, I head that direction and exercise manners and caution, hoping others do likewise. Make no mistake, I can have a good time without getting two birds, but I have a better time when we get our birds. Others may see things differently and that's okay too.

elkhunter11
10-17-2017, 05:57 PM

I counted around 90 birds at Buffalo Lake , but they were released at two locations, as opposed to Daysland where all birds are released in one location.

Chief16
10-17-2017, 06:23 PM
I think it all depends on how busy the particular site is. One forum member told me he saw 90 released at a site this year. The driver goes to a spot, opens the crate, and they fly out. Some go like hell. Others fly a short distance and walk around. If there is a parking lot full of trucks there does exist the potential for some less than safe behavior if you know what I mean, but done safely there also exists the opportunity of a great time.

I am never going to be falsely pious. Some guys I know head the other direction. I am out there to train my young dog, go home with our bag limit, and discuss the events of the hunt with my son and my buddies. When I hear the shots ring out, I head that direction and exercise manners and caution, hoping others do likewise. Make no mistake, I can have a good time without getting two birds, but I have a better time when we get our birds. Others may see things differently and that's okay too.

Thanks for the info! I might have to go for a walk around one of these sites if I get a free weekend from school in Saskatoon.

boah
10-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Release sites should be closed to hunting for 24 hours the day of release.

GreyJay
10-17-2017, 08:02 PM
I went out to the south plains/ Vandenberg location this past Sunday as my first time ever Hunting pheasant. Got there bright and early as I was not sure what to expect. Turned out i ran into no one else. Walked around for 3 hours and flushed 5 birds and got my limit of 2. Was really happy as it was my first time and I did not have a dog to help me out. Although I think it would be a blast with a dog. I am hoping to get out again when I get home from work in 9 days. Hopefully have the same success as I hear some unpleasant stories of unsportsmanlike conduct.

alpineguy
10-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Not a bird hunter but if I was I certainly wouldn't be following around the release trucks. No different than Suffield or a high fenced hunt.......I need more of an adventure and challenge to make the hunt satisfying.
I am not against those that do however as long as it is legal......just not my thing.

TrapperMike
10-17-2017, 08:40 PM
When I did the bird release at buffalo lake the rule was to close hunting after 2pm so birds could be released. Part of the reason I quit was because there were some people who could legally shoot after closing time and shot birds as they were being released from truck. Found these people were more concerned about getting a bird than my safety and shot in my direction to many times. I still think that closing site at 2pm would work but site would have to be shut down for everyone. This gives the birds time to get oriented and makes for a good hunt for everyone.

Guide5689
10-17-2017, 09:07 PM

This is why they don't let the public aware when they release, to make it a ethical and fair hunt. May be the odd time you are hunting and they happen to be releasing but any decent bird hunter I hope would have the sense not to round up some gimme birds. It's more then coming home with your limit if you have a dog, watching them in their zone is half the experience.

Today was another great day with my wirehair and buddy's gsp.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/efc28468ca146c31c2b4d463af26b31b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kujoseto
10-17-2017, 10:20 PM
When I don't want to get skunked, I stop in at Sobeys near home and get a rotisserie chicken. They even let me pick which one! Sometimes I pay extra to get the humanely raised one. Whatever that means, but, it makes me feel so special.
sincerely,
Snowflake

oh_j0ker
10-17-2017, 11:32 PM
To keep the Pheasant Release Site thread whole, and not to derail it with discussion of release times, release truck hunters, etc. I thought I'd start this new thread.

Personally I find it repulsive that so called hunters would chase after the release truck. How is that sporting?

I'm pretty sure that those who hunt the chicken-truck, aren't active members of AO. I also understand that those who hunt the truck aren't breaking any public laws or regulations. However they sure as hell aren't doing anything to foster the relationship between non-hunters and those who hunt pheasants with out worrying about the release truck.

I feel closing the release sites at 2PM daily with random releases made after 2PM would allow the birds to spread out through the site without the hunting pressure. It would allow the birds better dispersal on the site.

What are your thought on those who hunt the truck?

BW

I drive a release truck and have seen everything even a bird shot shortly after leaving the hand of our volunteer. Now I will leave the area if it is being hunted because of the danger to our volunteers.

But usually there is an unwritten rule that you leave freshly released birds for an hour before hunting.

In addition, the birds being released by ACA fly forever after being released. They travel quite far and are very good at eluding hunters and frustrating dogs. This isn’t A grocery store this is a hunt.

Enjoy the sport and the great feelings you get being outdoors. Be safe and respectful.

elkhunter11
10-18-2017, 07:06 AM
I drive a release truck and have seen everything even a bird shot shortly after leaving the hand of our volunteer. Now I will leave the area if it is being hunted because of the danger to our volunteers.

But usually there is an unwritten rule that you leave freshly released birds for an hour before hunting.

In addition, the birds being released by ACA fly forever after being released. They travel quite far and are very good at eluding hunters and frustrating dogs. This isn’t A grocery store this is a hunt.

Enjoy the sport and the great feelings you get being outdoors. Be safe and respectful.

Obviously many people haven't heard of this unwritten rule about leaving freshly released birds for an hour, or they just Don't care. When I ha e been at a site during a release, which was several times last fall, most people that saw the truck followed it to where it released, and started shooting as soon as the truck left. Several people didn't even wait for the truck to leave before they opened fire. I watched some released birds fly for several hundred yards while some ran around on the ground close to the truck until the shooting started. An once the shooting started, many people realized that a release was happening, and headed directly toward the gun fire. I chose to stay well away until the shooting subsided.

Don_Parsons
10-18-2017, 07:21 AM
My 2 friends in Camrose raised Pheasants,,,about 200 each between the 2 of them.

They would release some, shoot some around their places, and fill their freezers.

The best truck is the one used to raise them.
If I was looking to follow any truck,,, that would be the one I'd be looking for.

They did this because they wanted to give back, very humble gesture in the quest of sharing.

Both are semi retired now, bigger and better things came along.

Don

radubc
10-18-2017, 07:25 AM
I just saw the title and the first thing that crossed my mind was: would a .50 BMG do it? :)

buckman
10-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Not a bird hunter but if I was I certainly wouldn't be following around the release trucks. No different than Suffield or a high fenced hunt.......I need more of an adventure and challenge to make the hunt satisfying.
I am not against those that do however as long as it is legal......just not my thing.

I prefer wild birds also,far more challenging and great exercise.The best thing about the release sites is it keeps many of the hunters happy and saves the wild ones for me and my buddies.
I do think the birds are sometimes shot before the have had any chance to roam a little.

Jadham
10-18-2017, 08:33 AM
This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I've gotta say that the release site birds I've shot have been in excellent condition, with a bunch of long tails as well.

They have been comparable to the wild ones I've shot this week in size and plumage, if not superior.

Kudos to the ACA for the condition of the released roosters. Maybe some melanistic for next year?

Chief16
10-18-2017, 08:42 AM
This is why they don't let the public aware when they release, to make it a ethical and fair hunt. May be the odd time you are hunting and they happen to be releasing but any decent bird hunter I hope would have the sense not to round up some gimme birds. It's more then coming home with your limit if you have a dog, watching them in their zone is half the experience.

Today was another great day with my wirehair and buddy's gsp.

Awesome! I hope to have a hunting dog once school is over and I can put the proper work in with them. Would love to see a good dog work!

Guide5689
10-18-2017, 08:48 AM
This really is no different then the sask whitail hunter shooting off a feeder, if that what you call hunting and are fine with shooting from a truck then so be it. I'd rather go home skunked and enjoy the day with a good hike and learning experience. Same guy who goes home and brags to his buddies how crazy the hunt was, in reality he walked 20 ft from the truck shot two birds flying out of a truck!

1899b
10-18-2017, 10:07 AM
This thread has been eye opening to say the least. I never knew anything about this type of bird "hunting", release sights or what goes on. Wow...

elkhunter11
10-18-2017, 11:06 AM
This thread has been eye opening to say the least. I never knew anything about this type of bird "hunting", release sights or what goes on. Wow...

The simple fact is, that all some people care about is killing their two roosters, and they will do anything that they can legally get away with to accomplish that. Yet other people go to the release sites to get some fresh air and exercise, or to give their dog a workout, and having birds to take home is a bonus. For me, watching the dog work, and getting some exercise are why I visit the sites, and I prefer to avoid the actual releases, and the resulting frenzy that often accompanies them.

Bigwoodsman
10-18-2017, 11:41 AM
The simple fact is, that all some people care about is killing their two roosters, and they will do anything that they can legally get away with to accomplish that. Yet other people go to the release sites to get some fresh air and exercise, or to give their dog a workout, and having birds to take home is a bonus. For me, watching the dog work, and getting some exercise are why I visit the sites, and I prefer to avoid the actual releases, and the resulting frenzy that often accompanies them.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

I'm not a crack shot, my dog only works on her instinct with no training whatsoever. For me it's not about the kill or the limit, it's about the experience. One of these days I'm going to go look for those wild birds everyone talks about. I do enjoy seeing the birds and even getting one, but if I don't I sure as hell won't sit and wait for the chicken-wagon to show up. I'll stop at the Hutterite colony on the way home and buy a bird or two if I needed.

BW

Wild Bounty
10-18-2017, 12:07 PM

here's a video for you that will give you a picture :)
I hope we can always have this opportunity, it does make for a great morning with or without dogs,btw, I did volunteer here, I dont know exactly how many we released, could of been a couple hundred and I did go the next day to hunt :) cheers wb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ctumlukio4

Chief16
10-18-2017, 12:31 PM
here's a video for you that will give you a picture :)
I hope we can always have this opportunity, it does make for a great morning with or without dogs,btw, I did volunteer here, I dont know exactly how many we released, could of been a couple hundred and I did go the next day to hunt :) cheers wb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ctumlukio4

Oh that is awesome! Thanks for the link. I am from Wetaskiwin so Daysland would not be too far of a trip for me.

.257Weatherby
10-18-2017, 12:45 PM
I thought I'd start this new thread.
BW

It aint sporting its meat shooting, but if it is legal and the sponsors dont diasagree....
Rob

M.C. Gusto
10-18-2017, 02:45 PM
No BS, years ago near Brooks i watched hunters shoot them coming off the truck feet away from the workers. Crazy.
Two weeks ago my brother went and once he fired his shotgun he was surrounded by 5 separate groups of hunters who came looking for any left overs. My brother picked up his dog and headed elsewhere.

I got no problem at all with people hunting release sites and for anyone with a young dog its good exposure.

On a side note I just got back from the annual pheasant hunt and wild bird numbers where good this year.

flatshooter
10-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Personally I’m against ground swatting as it puts dogs in significant danger

catnthehat
10-18-2017, 06:45 PM
We go the other way if we see the release truck where we are hunting .
We also don't crowd other hunters
Cat

Bisch
10-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Obviously many people haven't heard of this unwritten rule about leaving freshly released birds for an hour, or they just Don't care. When I ha e been at a site during a release, which was several times last fall, most people that saw the truck followed it to where it released, and started shooting as soon as the truck left. Several people didn't even wait for the truck to leave before they opened fire. I watched some released birds fly for several hundred yards while some ran around on the ground close to the truck until the shooting started. An once the shooting started, many people realized that a release was happening, and headed directly toward the gun fire. I chose to stay well away until the shooting subsided.

It could be more on an ignorance as well. The ‘unwritten rules’ are often missed by people with little experience or knowledge of dangerous behaviors.

A little training and signage may go a long way?

Never been on a pheasant hunt, but would like to try. Don’t have a dog and that what has always deterred me.

Like many others, it’s about the experience hunting for me, and shooting fish in a barrel isn’t my thing. Agree that there should be a time out period after release to ensure the safety of the release staff and give the birds an opportunity to settle.

calvin
10-19-2017, 06:42 AM
It could be more on an ignorance as well. The ‘unwritten rules’ are often missed by people with little experience or knowledge of dangerous behaviors.

A little training and signage may go a long way?

Never been on a pheasant hunt, but would like to try. Don’t have a dog and that what has always deterred me.

Like many others, it’s about the experience hunting for me, and shooting fish in a barrel isn’t my thing. Agree that there should be a time out period after release to ensure the safety of the release staff and give the birds an opportunity to settle.

That's a good thought there Bisch, maybe when filling out the harvest cards we should have a list of hunting etiquette such as you would see on a golf course scorecard.

calvin
10-19-2017, 06:45 AM
I think also there needs to be some documentation in that we ourselves should meet the truck periodically at different sites and grab a bit of video to show the fish cops and ACA. Nattering about the evevnts on here without any proof is just heresay and doesn't hold any water when asking for changes to programs..

Bigwoodsman
10-19-2017, 07:22 AM
I think also there needs to be some documentation in that we ourselves should meet the truck periodically at different sites and grab a bit of video to show the fish cops and ACA. Nattering about the evevnts on here without any proof is just heresay and doesn't hold any water when asking for changes to programs..

I would think all the ACA would have to do is interview the release truck drivers.

BW

waterninja
10-20-2017, 09:42 AM
I would think all the ACA would have to do is interview the release truck drivers.

BW

I have had some conversations with the driver of the pheasant release truck recently. Just last night I mentioned this thread and also other posts about problems at the release sites. He told me he releases pheasants at 16 release sites and has been doing so for three years. He also told me he is the only driver doing the release's for the ACA. Sometimes he has someone along for the ride, but there are no volunteers to help him do the release's.
He said that he has NEVER, let me repeat that, he has NEVER had any bad or unsafe experiance's with hunters while doing a release.
He was a little miffed to hear about some of the stories being spread about "hunting the chicken wagon". The phrase "PURE BS", might have been used, but phone signal was a little staticky so don't quote me on that one.

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 10:20 AM
I have had some conversations with the driver of the pheasant release truck recently. Just last night I mentioned this thread and also other posts about problems at the release sites. He told me he releases pheasants at 16 release sites and has been doing so for three years. He also told me he is the only driver doing the release's for the ACA. Sometimes he has someone along for the ride, but there are no volunteers to help him do the release's.
He said that he has NEVER, let me repeat that, he has NEVER had any bad or unsafe experiance's with hunters while doing a release.
He was a little miffed to hear about some of the stories being spread about "hunting the chicken wagon". The phrase "PURE BS", might have been used, but phone signal was a little staticky so don't quote me on that one.

So are you saying that this poster is lying about being a release truck driver, as well as lying about what he is telling us?

And by the way, the ACA releases at 39 sites, so who do you suppose drives for the other 23 sites? Obviously someone told you something that wasn't correct, or you misunderstood what you were told.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/programs/wildlife/provincial-pheasant-release-program/

ACA plans to release 26,000 pheasants on over 39 sites between September and November in 2017.

Sooner
10-20-2017, 10:31 AM
So in watching the video, am I to assume hunters would be say, 100 yrds out from the truck and start taking birds as they fly away? Not a bird hunter and never been so am trying picture whats meant by truck hunters.

waterninja
10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
So are you saying that this poster is lying about being a release truck driver, as well as lying about what he is telling us?

And by the way, the ACA releases at 39 sites, so who drives for the other 23 sites?

http://www.ab-conservation.com/programs/wildlife/provincial-pheasant-release-program/

Twist away Elk. I am only telling you what one release driver told me. I am not talking about anyone else or any other sites. And I certainly never called anyone a liar.
Though it does sound like your calling me a liar, which doesen't surprise me. I'd really like to know why you insist on painting release sites like war zones, or the wild west?

I really should put you on ignore, but then how would I know what new twists you are putting on peoples posts?

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Twist away Elk. I am only telling you what one release driver told me. I am not talking about anyone else or any other sites. And I certainly never called anyone a liar.
Though it does sound like your calling me a liar, which doesen't surprise me. I'd really like to know why you insist on painting release sites like war zones, or the wild west?

I really should put you on ignore, but then how would I know what new twists you are putting on peoples posts?

I am not twisting anything, I am just pointing out the obvious errors in your post. You plainly stated that the driver you spoke to, told you that he was the only driver, and that he released at 16 sites. The ACA site states that they release at 39 sites, so your statement is obviously incorrect. So either the driver provided you with incorrect information, or you misunderstood what he told you. Either way , what you posted is not true.

waterninja
10-20-2017, 11:35 AM
I am not twisting anything, I am just pointing out the obvious errors in your post. You plainly stated that the driver you spoke to, told you that he was the only driver, and that he released at 16 sites. The ACA site states that they release at 39 sites, so your statement is obviously incorrect. So either the driver provided you with incorrect information, or you misunderstood what he told you. Either way , what you posted is not true.

I suppose he means that he is the only driver at 16 sites for 3 years. I'll ask him. I will also ask him if he has any horror stories from other drivers.

JohnnyU
10-20-2017, 11:43 AM
As long as it's legal I have no moral dilemma with not coming home empty handed. Sure it's a sport but given how hard it is most of the time I will never pass up an easy opportunity.

Wild Bounty
10-20-2017, 12:02 PM
I suppose he means that he is the only driver at 16 sites for 3 years. I'll ask him. I will also ask him if he has any horror stories from other drivers.

yes I would ask again, and maybe you missed my post with video, but we are all volunteers and the other part to this release is, you must before hand go and get your birds from the supplier and that takes sometime to catch and cage the birds, no driver would do this alone.

artie
10-20-2017, 12:07 PM
go back to no hunting on Sunday and release on Sunday.

SEEKER
10-20-2017, 04:08 PM
I have also spoken with Tim several times he has also told me the same thing he does all the releasing and has never had a problem with any hunters shooting birds when he releases . I also have witnessed many releases myself this bs about release sights has to stop.Maybe some members should hunt somewhere else if they are not happy

kinwahkly
10-20-2017, 04:45 PM
I saw a release today . Driver did an awesome job of driving out and releasing into cover. There was only a couple of other people there. They all waited to driver went out . I watched for about 30 minutes. Great dog dog work no issues.

SEEKER
10-20-2017, 05:15 PM
that's exactly the same thing I have witness every time!

sns2
10-20-2017, 05:19 PM
I saw a release today . Driver did an awesome job of driving out and releasing into cover. There was only a couple of other people there. They all waited to driver went out . I watched for about 30 minutes. Great dog dog work no issues.

Excellent. It's nice when they spread things out amongst the site. Glad you had a good day.

sns2
10-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Too much contradicting of posters... i.e. "My experience is x, so your experience y cannot possibly be true." Can we please be grown up enough to realize that people have different experiences??? Sheesh.

This was going to be a tire fire from the start.

Closed.