PDA

View Full Version : Southern AB Burning Six fires

pikergolf
10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

Kurt505
10-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Scary stuff man.

It's getting near the end of October, should be worried about snowstorms not firestorms!

Bigwoodsman
10-17-2017, 07:52 PM
That's crazy. Hoping all those effected are ok, and that our first responders can get control of these fires without any loss of life or injury.

BW

ak-71
10-17-2017, 09:15 PM
With the wind we had today it's really scary. Hope nobody get's caught in them.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
10-17-2017, 09:21 PM
The south just can’t get a break this year. Hopefully it is taken care of quickly. Funny, I was just saying to the wife after the first snowfall that it looks like we made it through another year without our home being ripped off it’s foundation. I really had to ponder that statement today from the video she sent me :thinking-006: it appeared a tornado looked possible.

ram crazy
10-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Yea and there are still idiots out there who think they can hunt where ever they want, because we had a little moisture. The Elk and Antelope guys are trying to tell lease holders that they have no right to deny access. One guy says he was going to phone the land manager. The response was would you like me to dial the number for you.

owlhoot
10-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Crazy wind in Cranbrook this afternoon,
My neighbor just texted showing me a pic of a big spruce tree laying on my house in the Hat so I was ending my stay here and then I hear about the fire on #3. I sure hope it doesn't hit those homes in Coleman.

58thecat
10-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Amazing what the wind can whip up real fast like eh!

drhu22
10-18-2017, 05:45 AM
So what is igniting all these fires? I can remember a lot of windstorms in Southern Alberta, but never ever this number of fires all over the place. All I can think of is downed power lines... is that whats starting them?

pikergolf
10-18-2017, 06:08 AM
So what is igniting all these fires? I can remember a lot of windstorms in Southern Alberta, but never ever this number of fires all over the place. All I can think of is downed power lines... is that whats starting them?

I would guess, for most of them. I was without power for about three hours in the AM and about five hrs last night.

drhu22
10-18-2017, 06:12 AM
I would guess, for most of them. I was without power for about three hours in the AM and about five hrs last night.

Its the only thing that I can think of, but still seems a little strange.

Gabby61
10-18-2017, 06:28 AM
I drive into Down town Calgary every morning from North of Airdrie and EVERY day I see fricken idiots throwing cigarette's out their windows!!!
The world is not an ashtray and if you are to fricken dumb to know that it's been so dry for the past 5 months around here and lots of other places, and the ground/grass is a tinder box, then go run for the NDP and stay off the roads and STOP throwing Cigarette's out the windows!!!!

JMO!!

drhu22
10-18-2017, 06:32 AM
I drive into Down town Calgary every morning from North of Airdrie and EVERY day I see fricken idiots throwing cigarette's out their windows!!!The world is not an ashtray and if you are to fricken dumb to know that it's been so dry for the past 5 months around here and lots of other places, and the ground/grass is a tinder box, then go run for the NDP and stay off the roads and STOP throwing Cigarette's out the windows!!!!JMO!!

You may have something there... still why so many fires associated with this particular windstorm? Its not like they are that rare an occurance in S Alberta.

pikergolf
10-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Here's what going on in the Hat.

https://www.medicinehat.ca/Home/Components/News/News/3318/30

DustDee
10-18-2017, 11:18 AM

I don't know the cause of all of the fires, but at a friends place between Lethbridge and Fort Macleod, the wind blew down a power line. It started a fire in the grass, which quickly moved to his hay stack and straw stack. From there the wind blew it across the prairie at an incredible speed.

Luckily, there was no damage to his house. They got all of the animals out safely. Lost a couple old vehicles. But he lost all of his winter feed and straw. Now it is just a matter of watching the round bales burn and containing it until they are done burning. They didn't sleep much last night.