PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Two of you are hunting pheasants with a dog, and you hear a pheasant cackle, and look over and see a rooster in a tree about 30 yards away, with a dog under the tree pointing it. About 30 yards away, you see another hunter coming, and he is talking to the dog pointing the bird in the tree, and it is obvious that he owns the dog. What do you do?

M shooter
10-20-2017, 03:04 PM
his dog, should be his bird. Likely would get pretty P.O if somebody shot at a bird over my dog.

RaptorRed
10-20-2017, 03:19 PM
His dog, his bird. No questions asked. Happened to me once at bigelow, took my friend first time out for pheasants. We stop to watch this dog work, 30 yards from us he stops and points. I told my buddy to watch this, guy gets to his dog out goes the command. Up comes the pheasant, down goes the pheasant. My buddy was so impressed at watching a dog work.

Okotokian
10-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Agree with the fellows above. If his dog found it before you did, it's his. If dog showed up after you had already spotted the bird, then you beat Fido and it's yours.

MK2750
10-20-2017, 04:13 PM
I would get a decent dog so some nimrod's mutt isn't flushing up my pheasants.

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 04:30 PM
I posed the question from the point of view of the people that came along after the dog was on point. In actuality, it was my dog pointing the pheasant. I watched my dog point the bird, then it cackled, and I heard two voices jabbering away in french so I looked over, and saw two hunters with a lab about 30 yards from my dog. They had obviously heard the cackle, and then saw the bird in the tree. The two hunters ran towards the tree, and the lab started jumping up against the tree trying to get to the bird, as my dog stood on point right beside the tree. I kept walking over and told my dog to hold, to try and keep him calm. When I spoke, from about 30 feet from the tree, the hunters saw me coming, and one threw up his gun and shot over both dogs to kill the bird . I asked the fellow which dog had found the bird, and he lied and said that his dog had found it. At that point, I knew that it would be futile trying to take the conversation any further, so I called my dog and we left.

oilngas
10-20-2017, 04:30 PM
what's the question, his dog and therefore his bird to do with as he pleases. I would back away and watch!!

ward
10-20-2017, 04:32 PM
I am not sure about the question, but the answer would be avoid release sites.

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 04:33 PM
what's the question, his dog and therefore his bird to do with as he pleases. I would back away and watch!!

That is what I would have done, as I have done several times in the past, but my dog was the dog that found the bird and pointed it. Apparently the other two fellows felt that the bird belongs to whomever shoots it first, and they did not hesitate to shoot over my dog, even though they obviously saw him at the base of the tree.

Okotokian
10-20-2017, 04:40 PM
I posed the question from the point of view of the people that came along after the dog was on point. In actuality, it was my dog pointing the pheasant. I watched my dog point the bird, then it cackled, and I heard two voices jabbering away in french so I looked over, and saw two hunters with a lab about 30 yards from my dog. They had obviously heard the cackle, and then saw the bird in the tree. The two hunters ran towards the tree, and the lab started jumping up against the tree trying to get to the bird, as my dog stood on point right beside the tree. I kept walking over and told my dog to hold, to try and keep him calm. When I spoke, from about 30 feet from the tree, the hunters saw me coming, and one threw up his gun and shot over both dogs to kill the bird . I asked the fellow which dog had found the bird, and he lied and said that his dog had found it. At that point, I knew that it would be futile trying to take the conversation any further, so I called my dog and we left.

LOL I thought it seemed an odd/naïve question for you to be asking, elk. ;) But you know, maybe their untrained mutt flushed that bird up into the tree from 100 yards away, and your well-trained dog then pointed it. :) (Speaking as the owner of a poor untrained mutt)

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 04:46 PM
LOL I thought it seemed an odd/naïve question for you to be asking, elk. ;) But you know, maybe their untrained mutt flushed that bird up into the tree from 100 yards away, and your well-trained dog then pointed it. :)

I actually watched the bird fly up in the tree from the brush in front of my dog. All was quiet until the bird cackled as it flew into the tree. Then the voices started, and I looked out in the field to see the two of them and the dog, which was right with them.

JohnnyU
10-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Shoot it, being mindful of the dog and claim that I saw it first.

There's no way to tell who actually did see it first and a dog doesn't count.

fish_e_o
10-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Why are you so far from your dog?

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Shoot it, being mindful of the dog and claim that I saw it first.

There's no way to tell who actually did see it first and a dog doesn't count.

Strangely enough, you seem to be the only poster that feels that a dog on point doesn't count. :thinking-006:

Why are you so far from your dog?

Since when is 30 yards far for a pointing dog? A pointer that hunts at your feet isn't of much value.

Deer Hunter
10-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a zoo where you hunt. Too bad.

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a zoo where you hunt. Too bad.

Actually the vast majority of people are excellent I met two nice groups today, and hunted with a father and son on Wednesday who were great company. 90% of the time there are no issues at all, it's the 10% that can get annoying.

Deer Hunter
10-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Guys get away with that kind of bs because they know some people tolerate it.

catnthehat
10-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Idjits for sure!:angry3:
No one has a right right to shoot over someone else's dog unless granted permission first anymore than they do to grab your fishing rod when a fish hits it on the ice or open water.
Some people however just don't care and will never change no matter what is told to them.
Cat

pikergolf
10-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Someone wants a bird that bad my vote is let them have it. It's not like you, or me for that matter don't have the time to find another. Some cannot get out much and for them that bird might be a trophy. :confused0024:
I understand that some peoples sense of entitlement can be frustrating, but life is way to short to get aggravated over entitled people.

Bigwoodsman
10-20-2017, 06:12 PM
someone wants a bird that bad my vote is let them have it. It's not like you, or me for that matter don't have the time to find another. Some cannot get out much and for them that bird might be a trophy. :confused0024:
I understand that some peoples sense of entitlement can be frustrating, but life is way to short to get aggravated over entitled people.

this^^^^^^

bw

MK2750
10-20-2017, 07:40 PM
I met two people complete with the same accent and dog description kill at least 4 (I counted 5 and my buddy counted 6 but neither of us could tell from the distance) and wound no less 6 more birds after the truck released on Tuesday. I had the dogs retrieved some of their wounded and left, I also gave them a piece of my mind so maybe they moved to your area.

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 08:06 PM
I met two people complete with the same accent and dog description kill at least 4 (I counted 5 and my buddy counted 6 but neither of us could tell from the distance) and wound no less 6 more birds after the truck released on Tuesday. I had the dogs retrieved some of their wounded and left, I also gave them a piece of my mind so maybe they moved to your area.

It wouldn't surprise me at all, if it was the same two characters. And the really sad part, is that I would not have shot the bird out of the tree, and if they had given me the chance, I would have offered them the opportunity to shoot it out of the tree after I removed my dog from the vicinity.

270person
10-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Shoot the other hunter. Then the pheasant. Take his dog home. Seems to know what it's doing.

H380
10-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Idjits for sure!:angry3:
No one has a right right to shoot over someone else's dog unless granted permission first anymore than they do to grab your fishing rod when a fish hits it on the ice or open water.
Some people however just don't care and will never change no matter what is told to them.
Cat
Amen cat ..

sns2
10-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Shoot the other hunter. Then the pheasant. Take his dog home. Seems to know what it's doing.

Best post of the month. Not even close.

catnthehat
10-20-2017, 08:54 PM
What's next,hunters shooting over someone's decoy spread without asking ??:budo:
That has happen too I'm sure....
Cat

densa44
10-20-2017, 09:30 PM
and then get out of range asap. There is NO guarantee that the hunter will kill the bird with a clean shot, in fact just about anything is possible.

I leave at the high port!

elkhunter11
10-20-2017, 09:34 PM
and then get out of range asap. There is NO guarantee that the hunter will kill the bird with a clean shot, in fact just about anything is possible.

That was my response, I took my dog and left the site altogether.

purgatory.sv
10-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Two of you are hunting pheasants with a dog, and you hear a pheasant cackle, and look over and see a rooster in a tree about 30 yards away, with a dog under the tree pointing it. About 30 yards away, you see another hunter coming, and he is talking to the dog pointing the bird in the tree, and it is obvious that he owns the dog. What do you do?

In the court of internet your opening statement has won.
It's fortunate no life was lost other than the bird.

Actually appreciate and acknowledge .

Thank you.

We can not teach ,but if pictures and or situations are presented we do have a chance to inform.

Thank you.

catnthehat
10-20-2017, 10:05 PM

only sensible thing to do for both you and your dog!
We have done the same thing in the past, get our fast!:scared0018:
Cat

Zuludog
10-20-2017, 11:48 PM
I don't hunt with dogs but maybe someday but it seems like common sense not to shoot over a dog, especially someone else's. I'd probably leave too or follow 270's advice. :scared0018: