PDA

View Full Version : Moosehorn Lake

Remitt
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Anybody been to Moosehorn lately? Just wondering how the trail is and how the fishing has been. We're heading up last weekend of Mayor first one in June.

McLeod
05-12-2009, 07:52 AM
It's froozen solid...

troutpirate
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
moosehorn hasn't been stocked since 1991. it was good when i fished it but, it didnt look like there was any potential for natural reproduction, it doesnt have any tribs. or an outlet creek. my brother camped there for 8 days in 1998 and only caught 4 fish, nothing under 18". im certain the lake is totally barren by now. Busby Lake is right next to moosehorn, it has bull trout and its outlet creek is full of rainbows. thats where i would fish if i found myself in that area.

McLeod
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I still never got the whole or true story on Moosehorn.. For some reson SRD stopped stocking it as the story I got was it was now part of JNP. When I was in there the boundary for JNP was clearly on the west side of the lake and whole lake was outside JNP.That was back in 86..

Remitt
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
It's now a provincal rec area, and has been off limits for quads for 9 years now. The Cutti fishing is supposed to be pretty good now. Isd it still frozen over in early June?

McLeod
05-13-2009, 07:46 AM
When Maligne is open Moosehorn will be open.

Big Bull
05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
When Maligne is open Moosehorn will be open.
...and that's going to be a couple more weeks.
Also, Moosehorn is not part of Jasper National Park. It is now included in the Rock Lake - Solomon Creek Wildland Park, and at this time, off-highway vehicles are prohibited.
http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/pubsandmedia/RockSolomon%20WP%20WEB%20fact%20sheet.pdf (http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/pubsandmedia/RockSolomon%20WP%20WEB%20fact%20sheet.pdf)

McLeod
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM
We should ask why it's not been stocked anymore unless it is self sustaining and I don't see how it could be.

troutpirate
05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
It's now a provincal rec area, and has been off limits for quads for 9 years now. The Cutti fishing is supposed to be pretty good now. Isd it still frozen over in early June?
they quit stocking the lake because ATVers were abusing it. people would drive up the nice gravel bottemed creek bed for long distances instead of using the trail. they ripped numerous long stretches of that creek to shreds. it was really ugly.
Remmit, i dont know where you got your info from, but i do know that it is incorrect. i have fished moosehorn l. a lot. when i lived out in brule, i could hop on my quad and be at the lake in 1.5 hours right from my front door. the 8600 cutts they stocked in 91 are long gone. as that batch grew up and got fewer we never caught another cutt smaller than the average size in that batch. no tribs, no large springs, no outlet creek=no fish.

Remitt
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!! We will still go but will fish Busby and it's tribs, and will take a shot at Moosehorn. I will post a trip report when we get back. If anybody has more info please post it.

fatrack
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
So how far of a hike is it to get in there if you are not allowed to quad?

Remitt
05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
About 15 kms if you start at the right place. We will backpack in and spend a few days.