PDA

View Full Version : Trimmings for Sausage

nast70
10-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Question for the gang here about meat trimmings. When we had our moose butchered we took the trimmings in to a different butcher for sausage.
We have an elk still coming and will be separating it the same way. Cuts from butcher A and trimmings for sausage to butcher B.
The moose sausage turned out really well, so the elk will be going to the same fellow.
Question is, should we get the sausage all done at once (it will be vacuum packed btw) and freeze, or would the trimmings last longer in the bagged blocks we get and get it made later when we run out of the moose?

Buckwheat
10-24-2017, 12:02 PM
I make my own fresh sausage which is double wrapped in plastic wrap and freezer paper. In my opinion the freezer life is about a year. Anything over that I've experienced some burn around the outside of the casings. I've also thawed blocks of trim for sausage that have been in the freezer for two years with no issue. So I guess it depends on how long your sausage lasts you.

covey ridge
10-24-2017, 12:13 PM
I would wait and have more sausage made later. The pork that is mixed to make the sausage does not seem to have as long freezer life of other meat.

Bub
10-24-2017, 12:36 PM
I made some burgers last year from a whitetail buck. It was a new recipe and they turned out pretty amazing. So I made more and froze them in plastic wrap and freezer paper. In spring I took some out and cooked them on the grill. They did not taste good at all. Must be the bacon in them, I figure. I usually make sausage or burgers when I need them kind of thing and from now on will continue to do so. Good thing I made only a couple dozens of those burgers and not more.

Also, freshly made is always better is a good motto :)

nast70
10-24-2017, 01:09 PM
We had the same concerns about the shelf life of the pork.
Good reply's, that should help us make up our mind.

Phil
10-24-2017, 01:55 PM
We had a sausage expert give a talk at our Fish and Game meeting a few years ago and he was adamant you make your sausages in small batches. He claimed the wild meat kept far longer with no issues but the freezer life was drastically reduced once the fat needed to make good sausages was added.

He recommended removing all fat from your wild meat as well, before freezing it.

Phil

calgarychef
10-24-2017, 02:26 PM
We had a sausage expert give a talk at our Fish and Game meeting a few years ago and he was adamant you make your sausages in small batches. He claimed the wild meat kept far longer with no issues but the freezer life was drastically reduced once the fat needed to make good sausages was added.

He recommended removing all fat from your wild meat as well, before freezing it.

Phil

Yup!

livinthedream
10-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Vacuum packing is the key. Freezer wrap is definitely old school. I have not noticed any degradation with 2 -3 year old sausage vacuumed packed. Of course your sausage is only as good as what you put in it. I was taught if you didn't want to eat the same venison fresh it didn't belong in the sausage!:)

MAC
10-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Phil

I still have meat/sausage trim from a couple of years ago and in block form it keeps well. Frozen in 10 to 15 lb blocks. When I was at the sausage course
the instructor also recommended this. Its keeps and who wants to eat the same type of sausage for a year. I make smokies, then maybe habanero and cheddar, then maybe some Italian. Variety is the spice of life.:sHa_shakeshout:

MAC

MountainTi
10-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Vacuum packing is the key. Freezer wrap is definitely old school. I have not noticed any degradation with 2 -3 year old sausage vacuumed packed. Of course your sausage is only as good as what you put in it. I was taught if you didn't want to eat the same venison fresh it didn't belong in the sausage!:)

x2 to both...vacuum seal and quality products going into sausage

nast70
10-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Our Elk is ready for pick up! :oregonian_winesmile
Gonna be eating good for the next few months!
Never thought this would be a problem, but need a second freezer now! Picking one up tonight.
Wifey looks at me last night and asks if i'm going to fill my bull tag, What? Who are you and what have you done with my wife?! 1/3 of a moose and an elk isn't enough? What about a deer, I can go get a whitetail in a couple weeks instead. She flat out says no, I prefer elk. Okay! Don't have to ask me twice, already have the time booked off!

gopher67
10-25-2017, 07:20 PM
freeze the trimmings and wait till may than you have some good sausage for the summer it tastes great on a open fire during camping season