PDA

View Full Version : Archery hunt at camp wainwright?

heretohunt
10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Has anyone had much success with a decent buck or are you pretty much just trying to kill anything legal? Would you waste your precious few days to try or just go to the muzzleloader?

calgarychef
10-24-2017, 07:42 PM
I didn't hunt with archery when I got drawn for the primitive season and I got a decent buck with roundball. There is an archery only zone though and I always wondered.....should I have used one of my days with a bow. That area never gets rifle hunted as far as I know.

The Spruce
10-25-2017, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't waste time with my bow in there. There is an archery only, but no stands are allowed. You would be just plain lucky to shoot an animal (other than a moose) with a bow in there. Last time I was there I shot the first decent buck I saw and a Doe 1st day muzzleloader. Then hunted last 2 days looking for giant. Did see one, but wasn't able to get an ethical shot.

Spruce

astepanuk
10-25-2017, 10:09 AM
My first year ever in Wainwright I missed a Cranker Mule buck with my bow fully my mistake didn't take the time to range the buck. I would pack your bow and go for a cruise lots of trees and terrain to plan a spot and stalk if you do see anything.

Lefty-Canuck
10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
We got on two good WT there last year, drug a blind and a heater in there to sit on a scrape line. Tough hunt for only a couple days. I hunted bow only for 2 days could have shot moose or mule does.

LC