PDA

View Full Version : Can I borrow a Quadpod

Steelhd
10-25-2017, 11:39 AM
A buddy of mine has been drawn for cow elk at Suffield later in November.
The terrain at Suffield restricts prone shots so I was hoping we could borrow a Quadpod for that weekend.
Thanks

FinnDawg
10-25-2017, 12:31 PM
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/30392/caldwell-deadshot-fieldpod?CatId=2370

Don K
10-25-2017, 12:47 PM
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/30392/caldwell-deadshot-fieldpod?CatId=2370

I got one of these for my daughter. They are fantastic. Not the most convenient thing to lug around but they work like a damn.

double gun
10-25-2017, 12:49 PM
I hunted suffield and made my shot from the prone position without issue. I'm not sure why you would think the terrain wouldn't allow it?

elkhunter11
10-25-2017, 01:28 PM
I am now using this for big game, coyotes and ground squirrels. It is easy to carry, swivels, and adjusts for height pretty much instantly.

http://www.thecountryman.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1400x1400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/primos-trigger-stick-tripod.jpg

walking buffalo
10-25-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm a big fan of shooting sticks, think that just about everybody should be using them.

Nothing against the commercial products....

Just know that all you need is a couple of sticks and a bit of string to make your own.

I've made them while on an active stalk, takes ten minutes. No need to borrow anything.

nast70
10-25-2017, 01:51 PM
I got one of these for my daughter. They are fantastic. Not the most convenient thing to lug around but they work like a damn.

And on sale for $99.99!

Smokinyotes
10-25-2017, 02:43 PM
I have been using the two leg trigger sticks for years. They work great

DJS
10-25-2017, 02:47 PM
I hunted suffield and made my shot from the prone position without issue. I'm not sure why you would think the terrain wouldn't allow it?

This was exactly my first thought as well

KBF
10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
That thing looks like a pain

elkhunter11
10-25-2017, 04:10 PM
That thing looks like a pain

It doesn't look like it's quick to set up, or quick to adjust. and it could be difficult in deep snow.

FinnDawg
10-25-2017, 05:02 PM
I am now using this for big game, coyotes and ground squirrels. It is easy to carry, swivels, and adjusts for height pretty much instantly.

http://www.thecountryman.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1400x1400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/primos-trigger-stick-tripod.jpg

I like the looks of these, I just can’t justify the price. I just use the cabelas bipod shooting sticks. If you had a tough shot you can take the gun rest part off and put it on your tripod for spotting scope in a pinch too I guess.

elkhunter11
10-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I like the looks of these, I just can’t justify the price. I just use the cabelas bipod shooting sticks. If you had a tough shot you can take the gun rest part off and put it on your tripod for spotting scope in a pinch too I guess.

What I really like, is that you put your gun on the swiveling rest. and you just squeeze the trigger to release all three legs at once to raise or lower the rest. This is a huge improvement over tripods that require all three legs to be released and adjusted individually. I used mine for my pronghorn where a bipod would have been useless, as I had to stand up fully to get a clear view of the buck.

FinnDawg
10-25-2017, 05:27 PM
What I really like, is that you put your gun on the swiveling rest. and you just squeeze the trigger to release all three legs at once to raise or lower the rest. This is a huge improvement over tripods that require all three legs to be released and adjusted individually. I used mine for my pronghorn where a bipod would have been useless, as I had to stand up fully to get a clear view of the buck.

The trigger technology is pretty sweet. Is the rest a ball swivel? Like on a normal tripod.

Bushmaster
10-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Can I borrow a Quadpod

Apparently not.....

elkhunter11
10-25-2017, 05:54 PM
The trigger technology is pretty sweet. Is the rest a ball swivel? Like on a normal tripod.

A swivel, but not a ball.

CritterCommander
10-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Take an axe and a short walk in the woods, pretty sure you can fashion a real decent shooting stick in less than 5 minutes......small poplar, saskatoon bush, willow, alder, etc.

I make one every hunting season!

obsessed1
10-25-2017, 07:56 PM
I have made sitting sized quad pods using the yellow fiberglass driveway rods you find at farm supply shops drill small holes and use 550 cord to make joints. Also made a pair of standing sized ones with hard wood dowels and nuts and bolts. The sitting ones cost me a whopping 5$ all in and the standing version was under 20$. I also have both the sitting and standing version of the trigger sticks which do work well, and a heavy duty camera tripod with hog saddle type fixture also gives a great platform. While the quad pods are very stable and can be easily adjusted up or down panning is nearly impossible without picking up the entire unit.
This is where the tripod or trigger sticks hold an edge. Both of my trigger sticks have a fair amount of wobble from the swiveling head though.

Stinky Buffalo
10-26-2017, 08:59 AM

I was looking at those too, and they are really slick. Two things concern me though:

Price (they cost a lot!)
Reliability (some of the reviews say that they get problematic after a few years)

Anyone on here own one of these for longer than two years? How are they holding up?

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 10:08 AM
I was looking at those too, and they are really slick. Two things concern me though:

Price (they cost a lot!)
Reliability (some of the reviews say that they get problematic after a few years)

Anyone on here own one of these for longer than two years? How are they holding up?

Even at $150, given the number of days that I use it each year, it is a cheap investment, even f it only lasts a few years.

Andrzej
10-26-2017, 10:10 AM
I have previous version of Triger Tripod from Primos ( not Jim Shockey version) and I did cary it for 4-5 years.
Now is reduced to Bipod as one leg malfunctioned and broke off last year.

Smokinyotes
10-26-2017, 01:34 PM
I like my trigger sticks. Ive had them since they first came out. I have learned that you dont want any snow or moisture in the slide mechanism when its below freezing.

SamSteele
10-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Two hockey stick shafts, crossed about 4" below the top with a bolt and wingnut through. A piece of paracord through the shafts about halfway down to control the width and give you a carrying sling.

Costs next to nothing and takes 10 minutes to make from scratch.

SS