PDA

View Full Version : antlerless moose or calf

scudder
10-26-2017, 09:57 AM
my friend has a draw for an antlerless moose this year. he is worried that he won't be able to tell the difference between a calf and a mature animal. He says its easy to tell a yearling, but at what age is a calf considered to be classified as a mature antlerless moose?

Mike_W
10-26-2017, 10:00 AM
my friend has a draw for an antlerless moose this year. he is worried that he won't be able to tell the difference between a calf and a mature animal. He says its easy to tell a yearling, but at what age is a calf considered to be classified as a mature antlerless moose?

A calf is an antlerless moose provided it doesn't have antler nubs 4" or greater then it is considered antlered.
The only real concern is if he had a calf tag and not shooting mature cow. There is a good description of how to tell the difference in the Alberta Hunting Regulations. A good guideline besides what you find in the regulations is if it is with a cow and is about half the size it is a calf. Typically a "calf" will not be alone.

last minute
10-26-2017, 10:06 AM
my friend has a draw for an antlerless moose this year. he is worried that he won't be able to tell the difference between a calf and a mature animal. He says its easy to tell a yearling, but at what age is a calf considered to be classified as a mature antlerless moose?if he says it's easy to tell a yearling what's the problem .:thinking-006:what am I missing :confused:help me understand

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Where in the regulations does it state that an antlerless moose must be a mature moose? A calf with no antlers, is an antlerless moose.

bucksman
10-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Where in the regulations does it state that an antlerless moose must be a mature moose? A calf with no antlers, is an antlerless moose.

there is a calf moose tag

MAC
10-26-2017, 10:58 AM

There is, but the question was why a calf was not an antlerless moose.
The antlerless moose is valid for either antlerless or calf.
Where as the calf license is only valid for a calf

MAC

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Yes there is, and only a calf can be tagged with a calf tag, but you can still tag an antlerless calf with an antlerless tag. People need to read the regulations as written, and not make assumptions.

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Yes there is, and only a calf can be tagged with a calf tag, but you can still tag an antlerless calf with an antlerless tag. People need to read the regulations as written, and not make assumptions.

The way I understand it is a calf is 4' and less. Therefore if it's over 4' high at the shoulder and has no antlers is a antlerless. Right there in the regs page 41

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 11:53 AM
The way I understand it is a calf is 4' and less. Therefore if it's over 4' high at the shoulder and has no antlers is a antlerless. Right there in the regs page 41

That 4' height is used to help people identify a calf, it has nothing to do with the definition of antlerless. Look at the definition of antlerless, nowhere does it mention an age, or a height of a moose.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 11:58 AM
I would hope Talking Moose would jump in and clarify .

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
That 4' height is used to help people identify a calf, it has nothing to do with the definition of antlerless. Look at the definition of antlerless, nowhere does it mention an age, or a height of a moose.

Yes that's right but there is no defined calf elk or fawn season. Where there is a calf moose season.

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 12:05 PM
It don't make much sense to have calf eason and a antlerless season if theyre the same does It?

CritterCommander
10-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Makes sense to me that anterless moose would be "cow" and calf moose is "Calf".

Cow moose are large, calves are small and typically always close to the Cow. Makes ID of them pretty much a slam dunk.

Then again, if you have either tag, and have never actually seen a Cow and a Calf you could easily be confused. Seems to me the regs could be a little clearer on this. Would be an interesting question to put to a CO ?

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 12:23 PM
It don't make much sense to have calf eason and a antlerless season if theyre the same does It?

They aren't the same, a calf license is only valid for a calf. And the special calf tag is only valid in a very limited location. If you choose not to believe the regs as written, call F&W.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Cow moose are large, calves are small and typically always close to the Cow. Makes ID of them pretty much a slam dunk.
Then again, if you have either tag, and have never actually seen a Cow and a Calf you could easily be confused. Seems to me the regs could be a little clearer on this. Would be an interesting question to put to a CO ?

typically ? small vs big , that's your slam dunk ID ..it's a great question and I've seen no good answer yet

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 12:29 PM

The regs are perfectly clear as to the definition of antlerless. The calf tag in unique to one very limited location, and even in that location, it is legal to tag a calf with an antlerless tag. When I was last at Camp Wainwright, the F&W officer told us that they would prefer that people with antlerless tags shoot a cow, but it was still legal for them to shoot a calf.

CritterCommander
10-26-2017, 12:30 PM
To be clear I don't think I have ever seen a calf that wasn't with a Cow...but that's just me. So normal.

DiabeticKripple
10-26-2017, 12:34 PM
An ANTLERLESS tag is good for ANY moose that has antlers less than 4” regardless of size or sex.

A CALF tag is only valid for CALF moose.

Seems simple no?

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 12:35 PM
They aren't the same, a calf license is only valid for a calf. And the special calf tag is only valid in a very limited location. If you choose not to believe the regs as written, call F&W.

It's all in the interpretation. You interpret your way I'll interpret my way but I guarantee that you won't be reading about me in the newspaper because of my understanding of it. Yours I'm not so sure.

My advice to the op is don't put yourself in a situation that is in the gray area

colt-44
10-26-2017, 12:35 PM
An ANTLERLESS tag is good for ANY moose that has antlers less than 4” regardless of size or sex.

A CALF tag is only valid for CALF moose.

Seems simple no?

So explain the simple . What's a calf moose ?

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 12:38 PM
It's all in the interpretation. You interpret your way I'll interpret my way but I guarantee that you won't be reading about me in the newspaper because of my understanding of it. Yours I'm not so sure.

My advice to the op is don't put yourself in a situation that is in the gray area

There is no gray area. Simply call F&W for their interpretation. Better yet send an e-mail, so you have a record.

Bub
10-26-2017, 12:39 PM
What I elkhunter said. With an antlerless tag you can shoot any moose as long as it does not have antlers larger than 4 inches. See the very first two definitions on page 48 for antlered and antlerless. Pretty clear.

DiabeticKripple
10-26-2017, 12:40 PM
So explain the simple . What's a calf moose ?

Moose

Cow - large, long nose and face; eyes appear close to top of head; rectangular body proportions; 1.8 m (6 ft.) high at the shoulders; may be found alone.

Calf - small, short nose and face; eyes appear more centered between tip of nose and top of head; squarish body proportions; 1.2 m (4 ft.) high at the shoulder; seldom seen found alone.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 12:47 PM
There is no gray area. Simply call F&W for their interpretation. Better yet send an e-mail, so you have a record.

so you don't have the definite answer either .. the OP has a great question . and no answers yet . It is a gray area

Bub
10-26-2017, 12:48 PM
What I elkhunter said. With an antlerless tag you can shoot any moose as long as it does not have antlers larger than 4 inches. See the very first two definitions on page 48 for antlered and antlerless. Pretty clear.

so you don't have the definite answer either .. the OP has a great question . and no answers yet . It is a gray area
Lol. I quoted the answer for you. There is no grey area.

elkhunter11
10-26-2017, 12:48 PM

I have posted a crystal clear answer, but some people can't seem to comprehend the answer, so It's best that those people call F&W to hear it from them.

curtisb
10-26-2017, 12:49 PM

100%!

In addition to the clarification and pointless arguments, we should touch on herd management. Again - only opinion, but the regs don't mention it; and clearly if people don't understand the regs - they likely don't understand reproductive cycles, nature and predation.

IF a cow is by herself or "dry" = dry cow = green light, fill your boots
IF a cow is with a calf = productive cow = the RESPONSIBLE thing to do is take the calf.
IF a cow is with (2) calves, not typical that both will make the winter, AGAIN THE RESPONSIBLE thing to do would be to take a calf.

In November, some cows will have kicked their calves free = yearling calf (sometimes small) = green light (provided no horns as above 10X over...)

I'll leave it at that. Nothing to do with staying out of the newspaper, just proper heard management and the ethical and responsible approach.

NW AB - if you are working the opposite strategy (ie. taking the cow cause the regulations aren't understood) - you are laying the hurt on the resident heard for future generations.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Moose

Cow - large, long nose and face; eyes appear close to top of head; rectangular body proportions; 1.8 m (6 ft.) high at the shoulders; may be found alone.

Calf - small, short nose and face; eyes appear more centered between tip of nose and top of head; squarish body proportions; 1.2 m (4 ft.) high at the shoulder; seldom seen found alone.

good stuff .. a first to read the regulations ... but to add to this is a bit ..when does a calf become a COW ? I still think it's a great question and to be stopped by FW would be interesting

DiabeticKripple
10-26-2017, 12:52 PM
I think the calf at 4’ height is a year and a half old. By the time they are 2 and a half, they are probably much bigger.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 12:55 PM
The regs are perfectly clear as to the definition of antlerless. The calf tag in unique to one very limited location, and even in that location, it is legal to tag a calf with an antlerless tag. When I was last at Camp Wainwright, the F&W officer told us that they would prefer that people with antlerless tags shoot a cow, but it was still legal for them to shoot a calf.

PLEASE tell us your perfectly good answer as to the diff of a calf to a cow and not cover up with reg's .. We want your understanding

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Holy Fack!!!

How is it possible that people can't understand this ?

Antlerless moose draw tag = Any moose that has antlers under 4 inches long
(ie cow, calf, bull with broken antlers, bull that has shed his antlers)

Calf moose draw tag = only a calf moose
(ie only a calf facking moose)

We can't dumb it down anymore then that

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 01:01 PM
I think the calf at 4’ height is a year and a half old. By the time they are 2 and a half, they are probably much bigger.

A moose that's a year and a half old is 4 feet tall at the shoulder????

At 18 months old we still have moose walking around the same height as a whitetail deer ?

Where pray tell do these pigmy moose all live ?

Lord Facking help us all

Bub
10-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Don’t cover up by the regulations though! It’s your opinion that they want, not the regs.
Lol.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Holy Fack!!!

Calf moose draw tag = only a calf moose (ie only a calf facking moose)

well now ..dumb it down for us .. what's a calf moose ? especially when you mocked the height ? waiting

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
well now ..dumb it down for us .. what's a calf moose ? especially when you mocked the height ? waiting

A moose that was born the same year you're trying to kill it, after the first year it's an adult.

Is this a joke ?

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2017, 01:07 PM
good stuff .. a first to read the regulations ... but to add to this is a bit ..when does a calf become a COW ? I still think it's a great question and to be stopped by FW would be interesting

When it's not a calf....ie. when it's under 1 year old.

If you can't tell the difference from a calf or a cow I suggest not pulling a calf special license draw.

LC

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 01:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/3d216a60b7513b91eb71aebeb9f08123.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colt-44
10-26-2017, 01:17 PM
A moose that was born the same year you're trying to kill it, after the first year it's an adult.

Is this a joke ?

the op .was asking how do you tell

Bub
10-26-2017, 01:20 PM
The answer is right above your post.

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Joke is you .. so at 13 months it's a cow ? the guide can't answer . where is this in the reg's ..still great question and the almighty's can't answer .. I love it

You're calling me a joke but you can't comprehend the simplist regulations even though it's been explained numerous times so even a child could understand it.

I posted the picture from the regs

When a moose is 1 year old it's not a calf anymore.

I honestly don't know how we could dumb this down any further. It's truly becoming embarrassing that you just keep asking the same question and get the same answers over and over.

Bub
10-26-2017, 01:28 PM
I hope the op got his answer. Some made this thread mildly entertaining. Thanks!

colt-44
10-26-2017, 01:38 PM
You're calling me a joke but you can't comprehend the simplist regulations even though it's been explained numerous times so even a child could understand it.

I posted the picture from the regs

When a moose is 1 year old it's not a calf anymore.

I honestly don't know how we could dumb this down any further. It's truly becoming embarrassing that you just keep asking the same question and get the same answers over and over.

ok dumb to dumber .. when and what tell's you the calf's birthday .. the question was how do you call a shot on a calf to cow ... birth ID .. still good question and obviously you don't know ...lmao

Icon
10-26-2017, 01:42 PM
F&W would prefer hunters to take the calf rather than the cow. It usually takes 2-3 years before a female calf will be able to reproduce offspring. A mature cow can reproduce the following year.

Great pic on how many offspring a cow moose can have can be found here. Just substitute a calf for the Bull...
http://cafn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/moose2.jpg

http://cafn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/moose2.jpg

covey ridge
10-26-2017, 01:48 PM

That is sort of like asking when does a girl become a woman, but it is slightly different because sometimes a calf becomes a bull.

It may be interesting to know when the exact change takes place but for the purposes of huntng it really does not matter. If one has a calf tag, the regs are very clear as to the difference between a cow and a calf during hunting season.

During the following spring and summer the cow and calf will probably be together if still alive. During that time the difference between the two will be mostly the difference of size with the calf being just a smaller version of the cow. At this time the offspring would no longer fit the description of calf described in the regulations.

The difference between a young cow and a young bull at this time is that they are not allowed to pee behind the same tree unless the trees are transgender trees.

BigJon
10-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Epic thread!

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2017, 01:52 PM
ok dumb to dumber .. when and what tell's you the calf's birthday .. the question was how do you call a shot on a calf to cow ... birth ID .. still good question and obviously you don't know ...lmao

Again you don't need to know the Birthday, hunting season starts the same time each year. Calves are born each spring.

A calf will look like a calf come season and a cow will look like a cow.

If you can't tell the difference don't hunt them.

LC

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Here. I'll start using pictures for you since "words" seem to have you confused

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/f90694085ffd8a3f924f2f65dc7d62e0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/8972b7a193324b370306cf762ba48cc0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/f73fb28de22b3cc20d73a1c71898a230.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/469b89dd8b1643f8c29c4b4b8c1e002e.jpg

If you're going to need further explanation somebody else will have to chime in. My head already hurts communicating at this reduced capacity

colt-44
10-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Again you don't need to know the Birthday, hunting season starts the same time each year. Calves are born each spring.

A calf will look like a calf come season and a cow will look like a cow.If you can't tell the difference don't hunt them.

LC

good answer ...not really .. a cow is a cow ? with lipstick . you guys are krazy . answer the question ... of the OP

colt-44
10-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Here. I'll start using pictures for you since "words" seem to have you confused

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/f90694085ffd8a3f924f2f65dc7d62e0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/8972b7a193324b370306cf762ba48cc0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/f73fb28de22b3cc20d73a1c71898a230.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/469b89dd8b1643f8c29c4b4b8c1e002e.jpg

If you're going to need further explanation somebody else will have to chime in. My head already hurts communicating at this reduced capacity

you so funny ..now show me a calf at 13 months that has become a cow ... last chance

Slicktricker
10-26-2017, 02:02 PM
There’s no hope for you colt do Alberta a favour and please stop hunting

Bub
10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Bets on how long till the dude gets banned?

Smokinyotes
10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Hey Tork glad you simplified it. So colt when you are out hunting look for the blue writing on the sides of moose. This will help you identify which is which:)

wildwoods
10-26-2017, 02:07 PM
you so funny ..now show me a calf at 13 months that has become a cow ... last chance

You'll never have that problem in hunting season.Calves are born what time of year? You guessed it, springtime. Therefore you wont ever be in a situation where you have to determine between a 12 month old and a 13 month old? Unless you have a magical moose season in may/june that we don't know about... Hope that . Unless you're just looking for an argument....

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

This is a calf !!!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/0d04fd911659fa3a9c6935c65244d777.jpg

This is a cow over 12 months old !!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/ab293cc3f3d0233ab5e8c377ad6f1407.jpg

It's easy to see because it's doubled in size. Since you hunt them at either 6-7 months old as a calf, or 18-19 months old as a bull or cow the next year, how can you not tell the difference?
One being 250-350 pounds, the other being 500-700 pounds !

CF8889
10-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Calf is born in the spring of 2017. Come September to November 2017 the difference between a full grown cow and a calf will be obvious. If not killed, that cow will continue to grow.. come spring 2018 (ie when it turns "13") it will be considered a young cow or bull, there is no season at this time...so you won't be hunting a 13month old cow or bull. It will keep growing... come Sept 2018- November 2018 it will be well over 13months. If at that point you see what you'd consider "a really big calf".. it's probably not a calf... pass on it and continue hunting.

wildwoods
10-26-2017, 02:15 PM
This thread has been epic. Just look for the ones labelled with blue writing. It's perfect!!!

Slicktricker
10-26-2017, 02:20 PM
You all know who this lurp is right lol

colt-44
10-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Torkdiesel
10-26-2017, 02:23 PM
nice pic's but you're still full of it ..

Can't fix your level of stupid bud !!!

Time for you to put the helmet back on and start counting to potato again

I'm out

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2017, 02:24 PM
good answer ...not really .. a cow is a cow ? with lipstick . you guys are krazy . answer the question ... of the OP

You are either a troll or a fool or most likely both. You answer the question if you are so freakin smrt. By the way the question has been answered. When a calf or cow is huntable it's either well under 12months 1 day or over 12 months 1 day....and easily identifiable by looking at it if you know the difference.

LC

Mike_W
10-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Wow and to think my first answer wasn't clear enough......this scares me!

Slicktricker
10-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Old rio blocked me lol

bucksman
10-26-2017, 02:59 PM
someone might need this....

colt-44
10-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Old rio blocked me lol

first of all. I'm not rio and second of all you are not blocked. grow up

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Holy Fack!!!

Calf moose draw tag = only a calf moose
(ie only a calf facking moose)

What's a fack?
Picture of a calf facking moose too please.

Xiph0id
10-26-2017, 03:32 PM
I have my cow moose tag.

I can shoot a calf right?

What if the calf is over 4' but under 13 months old?

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 03:39 PM
I have my cow moose tag.

Maybe that's a big facking calf.

Lefty-Canuck
10-26-2017, 03:42 PM
I have my cow moose tag.

Antlerless moose tag

Look at the head more than the size...if you can't tell by looking at the head you sure as hell won't be able to determine 4' in height or if it's under 1 year old.

LC

Xiph0id
10-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Maybe that's a big facking calf.

Is that in the regs?

I don't plan on reading them.

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Is that in the regs?

I don't plan on reading them.

I'm unsure. I believe I know what a calf is and I believe I know what a cow is. Not so sure the difference from a calf to a antlerless. I do know the difference between antlered and antlerless. For sure don't know what a calf facking moose is or even what a fack might be or who gives a fack. Heck who am I kidding. I don't know much.

colt-44
10-26-2017, 04:02 PM

I still think this is a really good question , and no one has the answer ...:).. some BS'r do

scudder
10-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. He was worried that since there is also a calf season that he might shoot an antlerless moose that was still considered a calf.
I guess as long as it is antlerless then it is legal. He was worried he might shoot a large yearling or 2 year old that might still be considered a "calf" and therefore illegal. He asked me to mention that many "calves" are on their own because mom has already been harvested, and some "calves" can look quite large, esp. without mom nearby for comparison.
Seems to be a lot of swearing and name calling amongst you guys.

last minute
10-26-2017, 04:10 PM
WOW I can't believe This went three pages Hilarious.:)

Norwest Alta
10-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Well scudder there is a lot of answers on here some right some wrong. I suggest you do your due diligence and make sure. My interpretation is different from some as well as your buddies. Hate to see you fellas get in trouble. Myself I'm not much of a antlerless shooter but if I was I'd be shooting a calf rather then a cow.

LJalberta
10-26-2017, 04:31 PM
This thread made me laugh hard. Colt, the original concern was addressed.

Part 1: he is worried that he won't be able to tell the difference between a calf and a mature animal

Answer: No need to worry, he has an antlerless tag and can take any antlerless moose, including a calf.

Part 2: He says its easy to tell a yearling, but at what age is a calf considered to be classified as a mature antlerless moose?

Answer: A young moose is no longer considered to be a calf once they are past 12 months age according to the regulations. I think he is confused about the term yearling though. Yearling means the animal is one year old (12 months - 23.99 months). I would think he meant it's easy for him to tell a moose that is less than a year old. As has been said in this thread, moose give birth in the spring, not year round like humans. So, the small moose, that he claims are easy to decipher from mature moose are the calves - usually around half a year old.

If you personally are looking for something listed in the regulations as a way to tell the difference between a 12 month old calf, and a 12 month plus 1 day old 'mature' moose, you won't find it as it's not only impossible, but totally irrelevant.

crazy_davey
10-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Old rio blocked me lol

Damn good call! Should have caught it with all the ,,,,, and the ...... Well and the fact that he isn't smart enough to know the difference between a cow and a calf.

:rolleye2:

blgoodbrand1
10-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Wow. Needed a good laugh, sometimes it’s the simple things. Thanks all