PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual "Help with Elk" Thread

fallen1817
10-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Let me preface this by being clear... I know how hard you guys hold onto your hunting spots, and how tough it can be to get information. I'm apprehensive to write this thread, as they seem to be a dime a dozen, especially around this time of year...

I am moving to Athabasca next week, and I want to start prepping for elk season next year. At first, I thought the elk population would be great around there... And then I did some reading... 510 didn't sound so promising... So I figured I should take my research west... And then 350 didn't sound very promising, either...

So just how far west/north does a guy have to go? Search function shows me that elk are in those zones, just few and far between, and permission on private land is even harder to come by.

I know It will take a lot of leg work, scouting and knocking on doors (Should I choose to take the private land route), but I'm hoping you can assist me... How far north and west do I have to go to find a good elk population? I've checked the game harvest surveys, and they helped a little bit... I liked the thought of being able to do day hunts, however if that's not an option, I'll continue to look into areas.

I suppose I should mention I hunt with a Bow, so that might make it easier to find the elk, with being able to hunt the rut and with less pressure to boot.

While I'm at it, every thread I read where someone asks about elk, it seems there is a tongue-in-cheek comment about "Saddle Hills." What's the deal with that?:budo:

Thanks for any help you might have, and feel free to PM.

Jeff

The Spruce
10-26-2017, 04:58 PM
If you are hunting with a bow, You won't have to go very far. There areas where the green meets the white on the map along the river. Just spend some time hiking ridges on lines or game trails and you will find them. The harder to get in spots will produce every year for you. Biggest elk shot with a bow in Alberta came from there 5 years or so ago.

Spruce

1bowhunter12
10-26-2017, 08:25 PM
The elk population near Athabaska has exploded the last 5 years or so ...there are certainly a lot of elk and good genetics ...

1bowhunter12
10-26-2017, 08:27 PM
And yes this is a typical “elk help thread “

gloszz
10-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Hey everyone,

Let me preface this by being clear... I know how hard you guys hold onto your hunting spots, and how tough it can be to get information. I'm apprehensive to write this thread, as they seem to be a dime a dozen, especially around this time of year...

I am moving to Athabasca next week, and I want to start prepping for elk season next year. At first, I thought the elk population would be great around there... And then I did some reading... 510 didn't sound so promising... So I figured I should take my research west... And then 350 didn't sound very promising, either...

So just how far west/north does a guy have to go? Search function shows me that elk are in those zones, just few and far between, and permission on private land is even harder to come by.

I know It will take a lot of leg work, scouting and knocking on doors (Should I choose to take the private land route), but I'm hoping you can assist me... How far north and west do I have to go to find a good elk population? I've checked the game harvest surveys, and they helped a little bit... I liked the thought of being able to do day hunts, however if that's not an option, I'll continue to look into areas.

I suppose I should mention I hunt with a Bow, so that might make it easier to find the elk, with being able to hunt the rut and with less pressure to boot.

While I'm at it, every thread I read where someone asks about elk, it seems there is a tongue-in-cheek comment about "Saddle Hills." What's the deal with that?:budo:

Thanks for any help you might have, and feel free to PM.

Jeff

I went up for work to Athabasca today and tried to get some permission on the private land bordering crown land and had no luck. Most of the farmers I asked said they hunt themselves and don't allow any hunters. I did ask if they see elk and seems that south west of Athabasca is where the elk hang out. I was scouting close to Lincoln ( that nice piece of crow land is bordered by rude farmers and no way to access without a helicopter)

elkhunter11
10-27-2017, 06:31 AM
I went up for work to Athabasca today and tried to get some permission on the private land bordering crown land and had no luck. Most of the farmers I asked said they hunt themselves and don't allow any hunters. I did ask if they see elk and seems that south west of Athabasca is where the elk hang out. I was scouting close to Lincoln ( that nice piece of crow land is bordered by rude farmers and no way to access without a helicopter)

So a landowner is rude because he wants to hunt his land himself, instead of allowing other hunters ro hunt it?

Flight01
10-27-2017, 06:44 AM
So a landowner is rude because he wants to hunt his land himself, instead of allowing other hunters ro hunt it?

I think he is saying the piece of crownland is bordered by farmers and they won’t let him access through their land

Xbolt7mm
10-27-2017, 08:09 AM
I think he is saying the piece of crownland is bordered by farmers and they won’t let him access through their land

But that’s not what he said

gloszz
10-27-2017, 09:23 AM
But that’s not what he said

But that's is what I meant. I called and knocked doors yesterday and I didn't even ask for permission and they straight up told me we won't give you permission. All I asked them was how can I access the crown land without trespassing and they said you can't. I wasn't saying it's rude of them they don't want to give me permission to hunt, I meant it's rude of them to say I am **** out of luck because no one will let me access the crown land through their own land.

Xbolt7mm
10-27-2017, 10:56 AM
But that's is what I meant. I called and knocked doors yesterday and I didn't even ask for permission and they straight up told me we won't give you permission. All I asked them was how can I access the crown land without trespassing and they said you can't. I wasn't saying it's rude of them they don't want to give me permission to hunt, I meant it's rude of them to say I am **** out of luck because no one will let me access the crown land through their own land.

Is there a road allowance in there

trouty
10-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Also an agressive outfitter north of town with lots of private land locked up.

Drewski Canuck
10-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Get the County Map that shows the Crown Land. Is there a Road Allowance marked on it?

Contact the County and ask if they have issued a Road Allowance Closure (ie RR 221 to Section # passing through Section #s ___)

If there is no Road Allowance Closure issued, contact the County and state that Farmer X has illegally fenced the Road Allowance blocking access to Section # X. The County will contact Farmer X and straighten him out. The Farmer was not your friend anyway, and will not be your friend now, but who cares.

As for the Elk, yes on Private Land and yes on Crown Land north of town north of the golf course and along the river. I have seen them bedded on the Driving range this spring.

Drewski

Bisch
10-27-2017, 02:26 PM

That’s the way I read it too.

Land access is a big issue. I get the fact and agree that private land is private land, but if there is no access to crown land (road or otherwise) then it’s not really available to all Albertans.

This is has been a big part of the property rights debate forever.

gloszz
10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
This is the piece in question. I had tried to access it from two points and had no luck. The farmer told me to park on the highway and access by the way of foot access.

dustinjoels
10-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Are the red lines on that map roads? Can't you access it in the south west corner?

Sooner
10-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Also an agressive outfitter north of town with lots of private land locked up.

This is my experience too.

Elk are transient. Herds on both sides of the highway that goes to Calling lake. Trans Canada trail may take you into some elk on crown. Hutterites have bought a huge chunk of land recently on the east side. Not sure if they give permission.

gloszz
10-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Are the red lines on that map roads? Can't you access it in the south west corner?

It's an old road and foot access only plus there was livestock there and I didn't want to harass them. I'll take a helicopter next time.

Slicktricker
10-27-2017, 07:24 PM
So If there’s a road allowance walk in or go find another spot pretty easy

gloszz
10-27-2017, 08:41 PM
So If there’s a road allowance walk in or go find another spot pretty easy

Yea ok no problem. I was just in the area and thought I would make use of some free time and hunt. I don't hunt the area for that exact reason.

skidderman
10-27-2017, 09:24 PM
I have not hunted there but understand there are a number of elk along the Athabasca River. If you could find farm access close to the river I suspect you might find them. As far as permission goes if the first one says no, keep knocking. Learned that from a friend who just won't give up. And yes treat the farmers like gold. It is their land & we as hunters need to respect that, like it or lump it.