PDA

View Full Version : Enough friggen snow!!!! What heated shelter for a solo hunter

3blade
10-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Disclaimer: angry 3blade ahead

This has been by far the worst year I've ever experienced. I've hit EVERY SINGLE BAD WEATHER EVENT WEVE HAD! In 4 weeks off, I've managed 10 days of hunting total. Cannot get three decent days in a row. Weeks of rain and 3 foot snow drifts in sept?!?! Multiple wind storms in oct?!?!? And next week, because I'm off...yep here ya go 4 days of snow. :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: Anyway...

Despite good quality gear, I don't have a heated shelter to dry out/warm up/sleep in so Ive ended up soaked, near hypothermic and headed for home. Guess sleeping in the truck isn't going to cut it anymore. What's the best solution for a solo hunter here in AB? I'm considering the kifaru sawtooth, Arctic oven, or a smaller traditional wall tent. Obviously there's some big differences there. It needs to be dry, warm, comfortable for multiple days and solo compatible, so I'm open to suggestions as to what fits. Absolutely zero experience with any stove compatible tent system, and a lot of online stuff comes from the western states where they don't have the cold and wet we get.

A big concern when investing this kind of cash is what are the chances that it grows legs if I'm away hunting for the day? Everyone seems to setup camp with multiple people coming and going, and that's not my situation.

Or is it just a waste of time and money to even be out in the wet stuff. Never seen much when I have sat through it, so maybe it's just a stupid idea.

Suggestions and experiences welcome, or anyone who just wants a place to curse the sky. Stupid weather.

220 Swift
10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
I have no suggestions but want to thank you for taking some of my luck with the weather.

pikeslayer22
10-27-2017, 09:14 PM
8 man ice fishing tent. Take it in and have hole cut for chimney for wood stove. Truck Camper should be able to pick one up for cheap this time of year

skidderman
10-27-2017, 09:18 PM
If you go deep in the bush with a quad a small outfitters tent with a smaller wood stove might work well for you. I would suggest 10X12 min with 5 foot walls. Yes these do sometimes walk away. Mine did once & it hurt bad. If you have the money to go to something like the arctic tent so much the better but then someone might want it more than you.

If you sleep in your truck what may work better for you is a small cargo trailer, preferably insulated and again with a wood stove. Going this way gives you a bit of security & it's harder although not impossible for someone to walk away with.

There is no perfect answer and there are always trade offs. One thing about an outfitters tent with a wood stove and or a cargo trailer with a wood stove is that staying warm & drying out quick are top notch.

Slicktricker
10-27-2017, 09:22 PM
I love those terrible snowy rainy days taken my biggest deer on them I tough it out lol usually end up sick as hell first week of December but still worth it

Arty
10-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Originally I had a pretty good little nylon hiking tent that I used to motorcycle across the continent with. Still have it. Drying out the sleeping bag got to be a bit of a pain, but setup was quick and storage was tiny.

Then I got a new truck and a custom nylon tent made for the box as a cheap option. That was better, off the ground and all, but it still got wet, it was noisy, and I had to pull everything out of the box to sleep. And forget about standing up in it or keeping Mr. Bear out.

Then for unrelated reasons I had to get a little long-distance haul trailer. So I made a combination travel and utility trailer for cold weather. That was the best decision ever. (Most people now would just get a utility trailer and carve it up a bit, but I had less money back then.)

For hunting, or any outdoor activity, in cold windy snowy or wet weather, nothing beats a solid well-insulated wood-heated trailer. I've used that thing at -45 C, had a bear rocking it back and forth at 2 am, driven though near gale-force winds, slept and read a book through 2 days of heavy driven rain. It was always warm, dry, very quiet, and stable. Highly recommended.

Note this was NOT a commercial camper, and NOT a so-called 'tiny house' but something I built which was much heavier, thicker, solid than commercial yet less expensive that an equivalent length travel trailer. If I did it again, it would be slightly larger and better equipped. Either based on a v-nose 20' tandem 3500# axle unit with rear ramp door and mandoor, or built up from an over-wheels 8x20' -> 24' flat deck w/ fir boards & 4 electric brakes, 7000# axles, and 2 5/16 hitch up at bumper height. Residential steel roof straked front to back, maybe filon sides.

abbgdr
10-27-2017, 10:08 PM
I have a 10 ft Atuk Kanguk with a Kni-co Trekker stove and absolutely love it!!! Canadian made.
http://www.atuktents.com/en_kanguk.php
I bought it for canoeing and winter camping. Makes a great solo tent or comfortably sleeps three people. Took it on a 5 day canoe hunting trip last fall with two other guys. I got it with the lightweight walls and canvas roof. The stove is a lifesaver when conditions get ugly and is also used to cook meals on. It's small enough to easily pack into a 60 litre barrel along with a floor tarp, air mattress and down bag. The tapered stove pipe all fits inside the stove for packing and I have a small 10'x10'x19' box it fits in. I've owned larger wall tents that are great for living in all summer or for extended hunting trips but this is my favourite quick and easy all season shelter.

Nester
10-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Give one of these a look.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140122

3blade
10-28-2017, 09:43 AM
I love those terrible snowy rainy days taken my biggest deer on them I tough it out lol usually end up sick as hell first week of December but still worth it

But you live there :) When I had a good spot close to home I sat through it as well.

I've heard lots about big bucks in bad weather and found it to be only half true. I've seen a grand total of 1 deer in serious rain/snow. Granted, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen, and I never did see him again. But 99.99% of my deer sightings and kills have been on relatively calm, high pressure days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and keep em coming. I'm going to research the heck out of this. Might be too late to salvage this season but it won't happen again.

scudder
10-28-2017, 09:50 AM
But you live there :) When I had a good spot close to home I sat through it as well.

I've heard lots about big bucks in bad weather and found it to be only half true. I've seen a grand total of 1 deer in serious rain/snow. Granted, he was the biggest deer I've ever seen, and I never did see him again. But 99.99% of my deer sightings and kills have been on relatively calm, high pressure days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and keep em coming. I'm going to research the heck out of this. Might be too late to salvage this season but it won't happen again.

Why don't you just stay in a motel in a town close to where you are hunting? Off season rates are usually pretty good.

Mountain Guy
10-28-2017, 10:01 AM
You can probably find an old trailer for cheaper than a tent/stove.

I bought a 17' 1977 travelaire holiday trailer for $900.
Used it for a few seasons.
So nice to be able to go back to camp and have a warm trailer waiting for you.

3blade
10-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Why don't you just stay in a motel in a town close to where you are hunting? Off season rates are usually pretty good.

That's a good question. I tried the motel thing, once. Something about it didn't agree with me. I know that sounds foolish, but it's just not the same. Not the kind of experience I want. I like the solitude, the sounds and smells of the woods, disconnecting from civilization.

dmcbride
10-28-2017, 10:11 AM
You need a wall tent and wood stove IMO. I am off till Nov. 27th. And stoked to go this Tuesday for a week because it is going to snow.

I have camped in this tent in rain, snow to -35 and have always been comfortable. With the wood stove wet clothes are dry in under an hour and the rocks hold the heat while hunting or sleeping.

http://i.imgur.com/tGFfEUZ.jpg (http://imgur.com/tGFfEUZ)

http://i.imgur.com/eSbyICK.jpg (http://imgur.com/eSbyICK)

Norwest Alta
10-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Wall tent and wood stove is the answer like dmcbride said.
Curious what size that tent is dmcbride? Looks small but handy for a hunter that doesn't get lonely. Lol

dmcbride
10-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Wall tent and wood stove is the answer like dmcbride said.
Curious what size that tent is dmcbride? Looks small but handy for a hunter that doesn't get lonely. Lol

The tent is 8x10.

With my job and kids it is a much needed break. :sHa_shakeshout:

Norwest Alta
10-28-2017, 10:34 AM
The tent is 8x10.

With my job and kids it is a much needed break. :sHa_shakeshout:

Looked smaller then that.

I tried going with me,my self and I once. Didn't work so well. Myself kept wanting to fight with me and I wouldn't help. Lol

dmcbride
10-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Looked smaller then that.

I tried going with me,my self and I once. Didn't work so well. Myself kept wanting to fight with me and I wouldn't help. Lol

Just need to make sure me and I drink more and pass out before myself.:)

Norwest Alta
10-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Lol. Sounds like a helluva plan but I gets terribly promiscuous when me drinks. Myself don't put up with that bs happens in camp. That's why the fight starts.

Gboe8
10-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Wall tent is the way to go just heading to set mine up for the rifle opener in my area will be my home for a week. I love staying in the tent got it from my grandpa when he passed he sleep in it till he was 78 years old. I see lots of guys with little campers on the back of trailers looks like a good idea too. As for the snow I’m praying for snow makes hunting way better IMO.

hayseed
10-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Lol. Sounds like a helluva plan but I gets terribly promiscuous when me drinks. Myself don't put up with that bs happens in camp. That's why the fight starts.

:scared0018:

Have to remember that...

HighlandHeart
10-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Wall tent, alumininum poles, wood stove or kero heater chair and a bucket... be comfortable for days.

gramirau
10-28-2017, 06:18 PM
I've done the winter camping thing in wall tents (14x16 with wood stove), in a Seek Outside 8 Man tipi with stove, in a Kifaru Sawtooth with stove, and in a Hilleberg tunnel tent without stove.

No question, the stove is key for long term fun factor. For a solo use, and only a solo use, I would probably go with a Sawtooth, if price isn't an issue. If you're hiking somewhere in away from truck, definitely Sawtooth style, or something like a Seek Outside Cimmaron. If you're camping at the truck, then the options are endless. The small wall tent pictured above would probably be the ticket. You can chain saw everything, split it there, etc. Weight isn't an issue at that point. When backpacking in, everything counts. The Sawtooth can take snow loads, if that's what you're wondering. It's also pretty expensive and only good for 2 in winter gear situation. There are trade offs to everything. Not much beats a wall tent and big wood stove in the winter conditions for me, but it's also more work to setup than a smaller SilNylon tent like a Cimmaron, 8 Man tipi, Sawtooth, etc. Again, trade offs to everything.

katts69
10-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Another vote for a sawtooth and stove. Great combo.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/a408ca83fdb25049b168c5e975da6230.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171029/d019f2b9d7ee9ff8250b9d9ae8e53a27.jpg

ukrainianmudking
10-29-2017, 01:08 PM
What kind of temperature is that sawtooth good for. I am trying to decide between a Seek Outdoor tipi and a Arctic Oven.

Drewski Canuck
10-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Solo is tough, and lonely. Not so bad if you are at a trail head where others are so they can watch out for you if you don't get back at night. But set up and tear down is still tough.

As for WINTER conditions, get an insulated construction tarp and put it over the back 2/3 of the roof, away from the stove ring. It significantly increases the warmth of the wood stove as a heater in the tent.

Or, get a hunting partner, no matter how ornery, just not lazy. Hunting trips in the bush really are a lot of hard work and planning.

But when it comes to inclement weather, can't beat the dry heat and lots of room.

By the way, keep the water jugs in the tent near the stove. Froze a 5 gallon carrier solid, and it took 3 days to thaw.

Drewski

katts69
10-29-2017, 03:00 PM
It’s good to whatever temp rating your sleep system is.
It won’t hold the heat once the stove goes out.
But you can dry your gear out and getting dressed and undressed in the warmth is awesome.

iliketrout
10-30-2017, 10:50 AM
IMO it depends on the type of hunting you do.

If you are planning to make base camp off of a lease road (abandoned site, etc.) then I would 100% go for a trailer. If you're solitary, I would consider converting a cargo trailer, otherwise a travel trailer if you're in a group. Makes it easier to tell lies at the end of the day. Set up time is exponentially less than a wall tent.

Unless you have a 4 season trailer, you probably aren't using water in a trailer so toilet is typically a grunt pole in the bush regardless of trailer or tent.

Propane heat is nice but costs can add up...at least you don't have to get out of bed multiple times to stoke in the middle of the night. Wood stoves are nice but if you're by yourself, a constant chore. Cheaper if there is a good wood lot near your camp.

We used to wall tent and set up on sites accessible by lease roads. Never had an issue with anything walking away, but it was a constant concern. We would typically try to leave one truck at the site and stoke the fire before leaving to give the appearance of someone at site. Not so much an issue with a trailer, but a lock only keeps out an honest man anyways...so no matter what security is an issue.

I'd love to do another wall tent hunt but I would want to be at a camp inaccessible by road, requiring a quad or long walk in.

Long story short we moved from wall tenting to trailering...life seems to be busy and hunting time available is less than desirable these days. When I'm hunting I want to be able to spend as much time hunting and as little time tending to camp chores as possible. Costs a bit more to hunt this way but works for me right now.

No recommendation for you just pros and cons from my experiences.

Stinky Buffalo
10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Agree with the small trailer/wood stove (with Co. monitor) idea. That is in my plans within the next five years.

I also really like the Seek Outside hot tent solutions - not sure if I can make good use for one of those to warrant the purchase, though.

J0HN_R1
10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Airdrie Canvas Wall Tent / Hunting Tent

Airdrie Canvas is your local ALBERTA wall tent retailer with many sizes to choose from. All Wall tents are custom built so you can choose where to put your windows and stove jack. We are not an "off the shelf" retailer.

Visit www.airdriecanvas.ca for pricing and options, or for more info call us at 403-945-0732

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-trailer/calgary/airdrie-canvas-wall-tent-hunting-tent/576572945

Looks really well built, local company so shipping it across the border/country isn't required for warranty/service, and they're totally custom.

If I ever buy a wall-tent, that's where I'm going...

:)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzM1WDEwMjQ=/z/ClsAAOSwxH1UJJu-/$_59.JPG

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/j1YAAOSwWKtUvt5A/$_59.JPG

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzkyWDU5MQ==/z/c1EAAOSwxYxUvt52/$_59.JPG

Arty
10-30-2017, 11:37 PM
Considering the natural place of external combustion solid fuel burning in winter campsites, the next step should probably be implementation of steam-powered electrical power and waste heat reuse for domestic water.

A vertical boiler built into the side or corner of a trailer would be optimal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OmZU3dZpA

Maybe the radial version for a smoother approach to powering a 3-phase alternator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSw2Pydu6WA

Or some sort of conversion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxv6uT6AGxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPwXNYfoAs

spellswrong
10-31-2017, 04:34 PM
What kind of temperature is that sawtooth good for. I am trying to decide between a Seek Outdoor tipi and a Arctic Oven.

I have a cimarron and have used it in the mountains on some cool nights (-17 roughly) its great. If you're willing to stoke the fire you can sit in it with a t-shirt. During the evening a fire that will keep you warm with a good bag needs to be stoked every 2-2.5 hours. I highly suggest getting a large stove if you go with a cimarron as it keeps you from continually waking up to add wood. Shoot me a pm if you want to know anything specific

Don_Parsons
10-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Our Harvesting crew has 3 options to choose from.

Main hard shell camp, full stretch out truck cab sleeping system with under-hood drying racks, and wood burning stove bush pods in 8 areas of the block we harvest in.

Frugal pods and who cares if they go missing.

Keep it simple since all we need is a place to warm up and shelter. A hot meal is nice before stretching out for a snooze while the gear is drying.

I've changed things up every year, and will continue to till the day I buy a fort. LOL

Fort Hard Knocks.

It will all come together as you plan forward.
All of us that is.

I built my all weather suit and its working out better than I expected.

The thread on this is under the All Weather Stint. Hopefully it offers some ideas.

Don

JD848
10-31-2017, 06:26 PM
In the fall till the end of dec I use my truck,i carry a decent generator enough to bring my boot dryer along and I bring 3 good pairs of boots.I prepare all my meals for one week,except breakfast which I cook up on my stove and extra food if I decide to stay out longer.

I put 2 types of a foam and a gel type under the foam to keep the cold from getting at my back, and let the truck run until I fall asleep pointed into the wind and have my exhaust system checked for leaks before I go anywhere.Doesn't mean you can't develop a leak so I leave a crack in the window at all times to get fresh air.

I have two wool blankets and my woods five star I carry with me at all times,i still have my electric blanket that I use under my bag before I go to sleep to warm up my bag and mattress,then I shut my power out and go to sleep,i wake up every 3 hours and fire up my engine and to take the moisture out of the cab and let it run till it's all warmed up,don't sleep with your truck running.

I would let my gen set run all night with a small heater if I really need to,but I rarely do .

I also carry a quad or a good snow machine in the back incase I break down along with my sat phone,25 gallons of spare fuel for the truck,plus a set of chains and small wood box with my stuff in it incase I get stuck,plus 2 jack all's and my husky saw.

I can stay out till hell freezes over up to -30 or so,if for some reason wolves have moved in and I need to move to another area,i start the truck and drive.

I hunt an area 150 square miles,so I am not limited to a ten mile block.Don't go cheap on tires or your truck battery there very important.

If I am going for a longer period I hook up my 24 foot winterized atco and off I go and use it as my marshaling point , but my truck is no big deal and less stuff to haul and set up and I can move around till I locate lots of sign and a hunting I go.

When I locate where I want to hunt and get off the main road I drop a few 20 inch poplars a few hundred yards across the road and drive as far as I can to where I can hear a saw running ,plus if there is snow I make tracks in a zigzag trail around the truck for a mile or so,this way they have no clue where you are.

I go out of my way to avoid all hunters so by late nov to late dec is my best time to hunt when the temp drops below -20 and most hunters won't go 200 miles for a day hunt when it's this cold and the moose lift them calves cause there not use to the cold and they start grouping up in dec so locate the gang and see what's to offer.Some years I don't have the time so when I do hunt I make the most out of which time I have,but I always take ten days a year no matter what.

bb356
11-01-2017, 01:09 AM
:scared0018:

Have to remember that...

Yup .... Northwest had lot's of hunting pardner's ... most head for the hill's after sundown :scared0018::scared0018::scared0018:

Dean2
01-31-2018, 08:10 AM
For Solo hunting the convenience, security and comfort of a converted cargo trailer is very hard to beat. You stuff is way safer while you are away hunting because it is locked inside the trailer. You can get an oil, wood combination heater so you don't have too get up and stoke the fire at night but can burn nice free wood while you are up. The oil heat will also keep everything from freezing while you are away for the day. With a small gen set locked in an outside mounted box you can even have boot dryers, electric area heaters, kettles and electric grills. If you mount a propane bottle you can even have a fridge. Final big advantage is if one or two other guys come along, a couple of folding camp cots makes it easy to accommodate the extra folks.

Far faster to setup and take down and is basically self contained so you aren't unpacking the truck every trip and figuring out how to hang and dry out the tent so it doesn't mold.

alder
01-31-2018, 09:54 AM
For Solo hunting the convenience, security and comfort of a converted cargo trailer is very hard to beat. You stuff is way safer while you are away hunting because it is locked inside the trailer. You can get an oil, wood combination heater so you don't have too get up and stoke the fire at night but can burn nice free wood while you are up. The oil heat will also keep everything from freezing while you are away for the day. With a small gen set locked in an outside mounted box you can even have boot dryers, electric area heaters, kettles and electric grills. If you mount a propane bottle you can even have a fridge. Final big advantage is if one or two other guys come along, a couple of folding camp cots makes it easy to accommodate the extra folks.

Far faster to setup and take down and is basically self contained so you aren't unpacking the truck every trip and figuring out how to hang and dry out the tent so it doesn't mold.

Can you post a photo of your oil/wood combo heater and a link to where you can buy them? Thanks

Dean2
01-31-2018, 10:38 AM
Here is on example of them, there are lots of variations that were used by the military. This is a small compact one, they have others that are larger and intended for longer periods set up. You cannot use wood and oil easily together because you need to clean out all ash etc to use the oil stove but the stoves truly are capable of burning one or the other depending on your preference and it does not take long to switch. 5 gallons of diesel will last about 70 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oiiyJ4rjOw

There are also quite a number of oil only versions that are far more modern, cleaner burning by far but operate on oil/diesel only. Many tell you that you can burn gas in them, DO NOT do that, gas is far too flammable.

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/diesel-heaters/

nast70
01-31-2018, 10:38 AM
My sisters family camped in their 24' sled trailer for several years. They salvaged a busted tent trailer with a friend and split it up. The buddy took the frame for a utility trailer, they took the fridge, furnace and propane plumbing. Mounted the furnace with 2 20lb propane tanks in the sled trailer permanently, and set the fridge up in one of those rolling work carts from CT. That was the 'kitchen'. Cots and gear were strapped to the walls, The 4 of them slept on cots in the back. Transport to the site, unload the 2 quads, level, and set up the inside took about 30 mins.
Worked like a charm.

Stinky Buffalo
01-31-2018, 10:43 AM
My sisters family camped in their 24' sled trailer for several years. They salvaged a busted tent trailer with a friend and split it up. The buddy took the frame for a utility trailer, they took the fridge, furnace and propane plumbing. Mounted the furnace with 2 20lb propane tanks in the sled trailer permanently, and set the fridge up in one of those rolling work carts from CT. That was the 'kitchen'. Cots and gear were strapped to the walls, The 4 of them slept on cots in the back. Transport to the site, unload the 2 quads, level, and set up the inside took about 30 mins.
Worked like a charm.

This is pretty much what I would like to do as well.

IncrediGirl doesn't quite agree... At least not yet. :sHa_shakeshout: