PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Deer calls?

501s
10-29-2017, 10:18 AM
This is my second year hunting, last year was only rifle and I ended up with a nice 4x4 with 10 minutes left on Nov.30th.

This year I took up Archery and have been bow hunting since September. Talk about addictive! Ive set up several tree stands and natural ground blinds so I have different spots to hunt depending on the wind. I feel like my skills and knowledge have grown leaps and bounds in that time, but I embarrassed to say I have been out 41 different times, but haven't gotten a nice buck. I have had many chances on Does and have had chances on a few small bucks, but nothing worth being done for the season, I enjoy it too much.

My question is do people in Alberta use Deer calls with success? I know on all the TV shows they use them, and they sell them everywhere, but I was wondering if people in Alberta find them effective and if so what calls at what time of year?

I have a few different Deer Grunts that go from Fawn to Mature Buck as well as a Primos "Can". yesterday for the first time I saw the Can work and bring a Deer in within a few minutes, but other than that Ive never had any luck. I have a friend who says in 20years he has never heard a Buck grunting so he never uses them.

I'm just looking for opinions based on experience. Rifle starts next week, but I'm just not ready to give up on the bow.

Thanks

DiabeticKripple
10-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes they work, more so in the rut.

I called a deer off a farmers property into a lease. He came on a string from over 700yds away.

Popman
10-29-2017, 10:58 AM
I have used them to bring deer in but also had them turn and go the other way. Not always effective but in the correct situation they definitely work.

If you spend enough time being quiet in the woods during the rut you will here them grunt. A buck tending a doe can grunt almost continuously. I have shot a few that I heard well before I could see them.

DiabeticKripple
10-29-2017, 11:00 AM
I should also add, stay put when calling. I called once for about 15 mins and decided to move on, and when I stood up I spooked a decent buck that I couldn’t see but he was coming right to me.

fitzy17
10-29-2017, 11:05 AM
the Duel Doe Bleat i always have on me. I use it when I see deer, its almost like I'm speaking to them, no exaggeration. they get so curious. first year i had it i saw a small mule doe, and I figured id played around with the call, and practically had it walk up to me within 10 yards. So cool

MK2750
10-29-2017, 11:20 AM
I can't remember a year when I haven't heard a buck grunting so your friend may be in a bad spots or is hard of hearing and I don't mean that as a joke. Most everyone I have heard using grunt calls are too aggressive and loud. The actually deer grunt is soft and doesn't sound like most calls.

There are two types of grunts you should hear if you are out a lot. A buck searching will make a very soft deep grunt every so often. A buck on a doe or very hot trail will grunt in rapid succession sometimes nearly every breath.

20 to 30 years ago these calls were very effective. I have had numerous large bucks come running in, sometimes extremely recklessly. Now not so much. In fact I have seen many bucks flee at the sound of them even with a well produced sound. Hunters educate young bucks by getting busted and by the time they are mature they can tell the call from the real thing with out a problem.

I still carry the grunt and in some areas they are still effective. I mostly use one still hunting. If I make a noise, I will follow it up with a soft grunt to maybe keep animals from becoming alarmed. It will also sometimes stop a deer that is walking too fast to evaluate or take a shot. I haven't had one come running in to one for a few years now however.

A very effective early season lure is rubbing an antler or stick against a tree or on the ground. Some bucks hate a young buck marking up their territory and will wander out to smell who was around. Sometimes not for an hour or so however so be patient.

The biggest mistake with calls and rattling is a misunderstanding of a deer's senses. If curious a human will go over and see what is going on thus the expression "seeing is believing" The other animals are not this stupid and understand that the eyes can not be trusted. To a deer "smelling is believing" and he will want to go down wind and smell what is going on.

If you are calling where a deer can get down wind of you undetected, you are not only wasting your time but educating deer of your tactics and stand locations. Two people is very effective with one guy in an ambush position down wind. If you want to call or rattle alone you are best served with the down wind being inaccessible ie; where you can see the down wind direction for a long ways in the open terrain.

Don't get discouraged because you haven't tagged a big one yet. If they were easy to get we wouldn't love chasing them around so much. The best of the season is yet to come and IMO you should save the calling for the actual rut when the big bucks defences are down. There may not even be a big buck in your area right now but if you are seeing lots of does he will be along in the next few weeks.

Passthru
10-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Grunt if they are in eye sight. Rattle to bring in unseen bucks. Doe bleat can work too. I use different calls for different situations or times of the year. Don't call too much. Works best mid November. Move slow or not at all. Play the wind. Shoot deer. Drink your favourite beverage to celebrate. Good luck

Tfng
10-29-2017, 12:11 PM
While I don't use calls much myself my dad does and has good results. The one piece of advice I could give is to be ready if you're going to call. Two years ago I sent him into one of my spots and told him where to sit. He ended up picking a different spot in the same area but it didn't have as good of a view. He blew his grunt call and a shooter whitetail came charging over the hill staring directly at him. Before he could pick up his rifle he was busted.

last minute
10-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Yes i do :)later in the season .

Bulldog Edm
10-29-2017, 03:32 PM
My first day and first time out deer hunting ever, I drove 2 hours to a lease I had called and got permission on. I had studied the terrain using Google maps but really had no other idea of terrain. I hiked in to the spot I picked. I spray some doe in estrus 50 yards away. Found a spruce tree and sat underneath it. Sun started coming up. With my rifle down beside me I grabbed my doe bleet can and let out a call. Right away I heard rustling, branches braking and what sounded like a stampede headed my way. Before I could even put the call down this young buck puts on his brakes and slides to a stop 10 yards away. We started at each other for a few seconds (felt like a long time though) and I slowly reached for my rifle. As I'm raising my rifle the buck starts to run off. I quickly grabbed the call and let out another bleet. The buck stops again but briefly. I was shaking so bad from the excitement i couldn't get a shot off. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Always be ready. Sometimes things happen real fast. Lol It was one of the best experiences ever though. I'll never forget it.

Unregistered user
10-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Some work very well, my go tos are tru talker and quad hunter. They also work well at shutting up territorial squirrels who are hell bent on giving away your position. Just point it right at them and give them a blast.

501s
10-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the honest and well written replies, I really appreciate it. There is a lot of good advice here. After reading all the replies I think Im probably calling too often and maybe even too loudly. And perhaps too soon in the season as well.

When we first put up our cameras in August we were seeing some really nice bucks, but once I got a bow and got some practice in and started going out (mid September) they have basically vanished. Gone. Like a virgin on Prom night. Im sure hoping they start showing up again.

On a side note, I ended up missing 6 cow elk one morning by about 40 minutes (they passed my tree stand just before I got there and before light). That would have been exciting.

Redfrog
10-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Been calling for years . Not much for grunting but I've called in a few hundred deer with a fawn distress. Mostly mule deer but WT as well.
It is usually the mule does that come in on the run and of course this time of year the bucks are dragged along. I've had deer close enough see their eyelashes. :)
I've also had bucks come in on the prod to a call with intentions of stomping me into the ground, mostly later in November.
I use a little call made from a piece of antler . I've called in a ton of different animals with this little call.

Bulldog Edm
10-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Are you seeing does? Find the does and the bucks will come to them when the rut happens.

Slicktricker
10-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Early season I’ve rattled and grunted has success seeing lots, to this day never bleated in a buck though man I’ve tried lol later season grunts and rattled and they come

Mountain Guy
10-29-2017, 08:40 PM
I've called for years.
Hardly call now because I see way more deer sitting quietly or still hunting.
Pretty hard to fool a deer when calling it in...especially if your on the ground.

nicksoros
10-29-2017, 09:45 PM
It depends on a lot of factors: where, when, frequency, types, sounds of call

Unregistered user
10-29-2017, 09:45 PM
This may sound silly but it works. When calling, aim the call at something flat and hard like a rock or the root base of a downed tree from a 45 angle and sit in nearby cover. if a deer responds to the call, he will come to the "Bounce" and not to you. Nice up close broadside shot.

walking buffalo
10-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Deer are incredibly vocal. And deer calls work.

Try rattling too. The next few weeks are Awesome for rattling in bucks.

wildwoods
10-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Simple grunting works very well. I grunt every ten-15mins or so when sitting.
I've noticed that a flagging doe will eventually settle down after visually busting you. If she smells you it's usually game over. But if you spook one, give her a good grunt and stay hidden. She'll calm down in under five mins typically.
Rattling works. Can be a double edged sword if you're a meat hunter as it tends to scare smaller bucks away. I don't mind that. I like to wait for big brother whenever possible