PDA

View Full Version : Chinchaga Black Bears?

Loch Sloy!
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Howdy,

Headed up to the Chin for 5 days and looking for advice. I've never hunted the area but I hear there is alot of development up there. Is there a good place to get a map for the lease roads? Any tips on where to go (and where not to go) would be appreciated. The plan is currently to walk cutlines and look for green...

cheers

Red Neck Girl
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Try the forestry and lands office at the Manning Ranger Station. They may be able to help you out with maps. There is a lot of development up there and lots of roads.

Harbercraftguy
05-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Careful what you wish for...There are (literally) tons of bears up there.Surveyed up in the Chin area alot.Grizzly ,browns ,BIG blacks.I found that there more aggressive up there than usual.(Kinda like the Mosquito's n' the Black flies)
If your looking for really good maps H.I.W. Surveys in Grande Prairie has really nice maps of those areas to the north. 780- 532-2343.

If you have GPS Patch Map has some awsome software for mapping up there as well.

dale7637
05-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I am in High Level, and i can tell you that the bear hunting here is fantastic. The bears have been doing really well the last few years. The chin area is a good spot, and i have already seen some gorgeous bears out there this spring, including a huge cinnamon. Like was said before, they do seem overly aggresive here. I had two nasty encounters last year, and i would suggest packing a backup if you are archery hunting. We have had a little two year old hanging around the house the last few days if you are interested.

BrownBear416
05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Howdy,

Headed up to the Chin for 5 days and looking for advice. I've never hunted the area but I hear there is alot of development up there. Is there a good place to get a map for the lease roads? Any tips on where to go (and where not to go) would be appreciated. The plan is currently to walk cutlines and look for green...

cheers

Tons of bears around the Cranberry plant.I have not been there for a few years but it is roughly 30 km down the road.Beautiful country up there..Hope you have a great time.

Loch Sloy!
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow thanks for all the quick replies. Dale I think I'll pass on the two year old but thanks for the offer. I'm getting really excited, headed from Calgary on Thursday night. Will post pics of any success!

GPS maps would be great. I'll see what I can find.

dale7637
05-12-2009, 11:30 AM
No worries, i was kinda kidding anyhoo. Im starting to get attached to the little bugger, but my dogs sure arent.

ABDUKNUT
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I've been up there a ton of times with my job, but would be real excited about bear hunting up there. There are a few Grizz in the area, most likely towards the BC border. Tons of black bear and wolfs too, seen lots of both of them.
If I were headed up there to bear hunt, I'd go to around km 105 and take a right into North Botha. Lots of good open areas to glass in there...

Grizzly Adams
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
From a magazine, I keep in my desk.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1230/4210318/19766492/364145211.jpg
"Ideal habitat for black and grizzly bears to live and grow to enormous size." The author claims Argos are the only way to get around, in that country. I think Froese managed the Saddledome, at one time.
Grizz

Jamie
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
More than a few Grizz in the area.

I was told that just off of the Chinchaga road was a drop off site for problem bears.

Personaly I can attest to at least 2 that like to scare the crap out of a sleeping hunting.:sick::sick:

Jamie

PoppaW
05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
The only grizz I ever saw on the road was at about km 35ish. Not far in anyhow. From a chopper I saw more out at 160. Black bears abound:D I don't think they are aggressive they are really really friendly :evilgrin:
I haven't been up that way for a few years now though.

LongDraw
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
As far as a map goes make the investment and buy bushmap for your gps. It shows all pipelines, well heads, access roads, powerlines, etc. I own it and highly reccomend it.

Tuc
05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
If you have GPS Patch Map has some awsome software for mapping up there as well.

Try the Topo Canada software, it should show you some cutlines, back roads, etc. I bought 2 RM maps of the area from the Town of Manning (own a few acres north of Manning) they are pricey and show mostly landowners. They don't extend too far into the Chinchaga.

guidehunt
05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
the beared guy in picture is dennis potter ,i guided for people that bought his homested around klm 160 we used argos and you could not get to far with a quad where we were hunting lots of blacks and grizz around the b.c. border ,good luck .

Loch Sloy!
05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Anyone recommend a good area to make a camp along the chin road?

dale7637
05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Personally i would go in at km 122 and north into the gutah field. There are some good spots to set camp in there about 15-20 kms, and its a good area, lotsa roads to get around.

MrDave
05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Never hunted it but worked a couple of jobs at the west end of the road. Wanted to give you a heads up about watching your driving, not much room to move over if you meet someone and there are lots of blind corners and hills. Good hunting to you.

BrownBear416
05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Never hunted it but worked a couple of jobs at the west end of the road. Wanted to give you a heads up about watching your driving, not much room to move over if you meet someone and there are lots of blind corners and hills. Good hunting to you.

Good advice...I wonder if the sign is still at the beginning with the number of accidents there has been on the chin..If i remember it was very high..

nimrod
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
try giving fish and wildlife a call in Manning, they might know of some landowners that are having a problem.