PDA

View Full Version : hunting ...while it's snowing

RBI
10-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Hello to all
question from an inexperienced hunter .

Looks like we've got snow coming for Nov 1 ( or sooner )

The son and I are to be out hunting WT ( 318 crown ) during ( according to the forecasts )
some snowing days

Question is simply this/these

- is this good , bad . or just neutral

- I realize that " after " a snowfall is good ...seeing tracks/ blood trailing etc

But do the deer do things differently ,during snowfall , is there a different type of approach to take etc ?

Then of course , there's the shot ... obviously wind is a factor , but what about shooting through falling snow ? ( hopefully inside 100 yds ),
but who knows what conditions will be .

Any help/experience is appreciated

RBI

Drewski Canuck
10-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Before the snow deer feed heavy, then hunker down.

Same with Elk. Moose will move, but it depends how windy.

After the snow stops, they are out again. During the rut it really does not matter, as there will be movement even in bad weather.

Drewski

colt-44
10-29-2017, 02:17 PM
The wind is more a factor in stopping game movement than snow .

3blade
10-29-2017, 03:25 PM
moose don't seem to care.

Whitetails are at the edge of their northern range here. They don't like rain, snow and cold. Deer do feed up ahead of a storm, but 24 hours or more in advance. Not like a walleye that is feeding right till the rain starts falling. Once the pressure starts dropping hard the deer bury into the thick stuff. After, it usually takes a day or two for things to get back to normal. I've only seen one deer in a snow storm, but it was the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof. As I said in the other thread, 99.99% of my deer sightings and kills have been on stable clear to partly cloudy days.

Be careful, I've nearly not made it back, twice, because I got cold and wet trying to tough it out.

mgvande
10-29-2017, 05:06 PM
I love snow. Your scent doesn't travel at all. I've had lots of elk walk right by me during a snowfall.

KegRiver
10-29-2017, 06:13 PM
There is no better time to be out hunting.

Game are less jumpy. They will be out feeding, tracks are obvious. the list goes on.

bobalong
10-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Ripping wind, snow and cold, I have not seen to much moving, but those big heavy snowflakes with no wind is a great time to be still hunting.

Slicktricker
10-29-2017, 07:54 PM
I love it best time to hunt well anytime is but November heavy snow is what I’m waiting for going after my target buck named hockey puck

ROA
10-29-2017, 08:01 PM
If the rut is on all bets are off. The question becomes what weather can you handle hunting in.

Passthru
10-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Ripping wind, snow and cold, I have not seen to much moving, but those big heavy snowflakes with no wind is a great time to be still hunting.

This, unless it's the middle of the rut then you better be out there all day no matter what.

3blade
10-29-2017, 09:55 PM

Agree, that's what I was talking about in my post. Not the gently falling flakes but the wind driven blizzards.

Looks like the wind forecast has mellowed, might turn out to be a good week.

possum
10-29-2017, 09:56 PM
If the rut is on all bets are off. The question becomes what weather can you handle hunting in.

Exactly.......

I really like when most guys leave when the weather gets nasty.......

walking buffalo
10-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Snow and cold are not big deal.
Heavy Wind, that is the main factor in slowing down deer movement.

Calm snowy days or fog. It seems to relax them....

And it is MUCH easier to get into range with the limited visibility.

Red Bullets
10-30-2017, 05:18 AM
If you are hunting during a snowfall a slow stalk in mixed woods, focus in to the patches of spruce trees. Deer will bed under spruce lots of times when it's snowing. Approach the spruce with the wind to your face and watch for twitching ears or antler tines. Big bucks like spruce coves in mixed woods. There can be ground scrapes around spruce too. Bucks will bed downwind of a ground scrape line during rut hoping to get a whiff of a visiting doe, so watch the spruce downwind of ground scrapes, even during snow.

Team Anzac
10-30-2017, 06:05 AM
Love a good storm to get the Whitey's out freshening up rub lines.

bullrambler
10-31-2017, 06:16 AM
Sometimes the snow will limit the distance one can see and this can have the effect of deer looking like shadows... They will move if pushed and with snow accumulating on their backs makes them a bit harder to see. Hunting in the wind can be good as the wind tames the walking through various areas. And as mentioned - hunting before and after storms has the deer moving to and from food sources.

The moose
10-31-2017, 07:53 AM
hunting in the snow can be very good. I hunt all weather but high winds. very excited for the coming snow.

West O'5
10-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Love stillhunting in a fresh or gently falling snow,for all of the reasons above and then some.
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet that you'll want to give some consideration to is your equipment,clothing,rifle etc.
-good set of scope covers,either clear/see-thru or flip-ups....nothing worse then working your azz off stillhunting all season for the shot only to have your scope frosted up/covered in snow at the moment of truth
-tape up your muzzle,it wont effect accuracy and protects from dangerous obstructions,namely being plugged with snow
-scarf or hoodie to keep snow from pouring down your neck....that said,I can't stand wearing hoodies up when I'm hunting,esp stillhunting,restricts too much peripheral vision and sound,and I only flip it up sitting on a stand if I'm on the verge of freezing to death,lol
-if you plan to use a quad for retrieval,will a foot of snow render it all but useless?A toboggan/ice fishing sled,crazy carpet,or tarp might be more useful,and much less expensive alternative if you don't have a quad.
-rope/straps for dragging said toboggan device,or even for dragging a deer without sled(they slide along forward with the grain of their hair pretty good on snow but are hard to grip antlers and/or front legs/much easier to rig some tow ropes)
-if you use your cellphone/iHunter app etc for navigation,keep it warm in an inside pocket,the cold kills batteries quickly
-gloves/mitts that are warm and dry with a good grip/feel on the rifle(not slippery) and allow quick deployment of trigger finger
-dress in layers,hiking in snow is hard and sweaty work,your hunt will end early if you get soaked hiking in to a stand then sit there and shiver.
-stay hydrated,if your Gatorade freezes,don't eat the yellow snow,haha,that's all i got for now

MartyT
11-01-2017, 07:09 AM
I love hunting when its snowing. If its blowing and you can use the wind to your favor even better. Ive gotten some nice bucks that were cruising mid day in the middle of a snow storm. Know their routes and use the terrain to your advantage. Best part if you are on crown land - lots of other hunters stay home

Stinky Buffalo
11-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Love hunting during while the snow is falling lightly - Except the part when you get snow on your scope! :lol:

But yeah, it's quiet, almost magical.

When it's really windy, off into the bushes I go.

bb356
11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
I.m gonna argue... snow bite's ... give me a clear frosty -20 any time In Alberta huntin Elk ...Moose Or Deer ... snack ... scrackle and pop !!!

SLOW DOWN !!!

1899b
11-01-2017, 11:12 AM
I.m gonna argue... snow bite's ... give me a clear frosty -20 any time In Alberta huntin Elk ...Moose Or Deer ... snack ... scrackle and pop !!!

SLOW DOWN !!!

Absolutely agree!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/Win94/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-10/E2307B48-AFE8-439C-A25E-2BFA7DADD388_zpsqemaodg4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Win94/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-10/E2307B48-AFE8-439C-A25E-2BFA7DADD388_zpsqemaodg4.jpg.html)

jdwilson
11-01-2017, 01:38 PM
I was planning on hunting in 404 around Highwood Junction tomorrow (Thurs) through Saturday, but with another 25-40 cm on top of the 10 cm that fell yesterday, it may be a bit much....lol.

jdwilson
11-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I was planning on hunting in 404 around Highwood Junction tomorrow (Thurs) through Saturday, but with another 25-40 cm on top of the 10 cm that fell yesterday, it may be a bit much....lol.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/snowfall-warnings-november-1-2017-southwestern-alberta-1.4381809

58thecat
11-01-2017, 05:19 PM
If the rut is on hunt, hunt hard, those bucks move even in twisters....:sHa_shakeshout:

Smokinyotes
11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I was out this morning and it was snowing and blowing pretty hard. It didnt seem to effect the 20 does and fawns i saw feeding.

270person
11-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Snow and some colder temps to freeze up the muck is a good thing.

Make it -30 so the chocolate bar hunters stay home and it's even better.

Fwee6
11-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Got a WT doe this morning 25 mins into the morning...1/2 inch of snow on the ground and the wind was whipping. Plenty of animals moving around.
Saw a small buck cruising while I was walking back to the truck.

mgvande
11-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Snow and some colder temps to freeze up the muck is a good thing.

Make it -30 so the chocolate bar hunters stay home and it's even better.

What is a chocolate bar hunter? I have never heard this.

Battle Rat
11-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Fresh snow and wind is better than -20 squeaky snow for stalking.

CranePete
11-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Love stillhunting in a fresh or gently falling snow,for all of the reasons above and then some.
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet that you'll want to give some consideration to is your equipment,clothing,rifle etc.
-good set of scope covers,either clear/see-thru or flip-ups....nothing worse then working your azz off stillhunting all season for the shot only to have your scope frosted up/covered in snow at the moment of truth
-tape up your muzzle,it wont effect accuracy and protects from dangerous obstructions,namely being plugged with snow
-scarf or hoodie to keep snow from pouring down your neck....that said,I can't stand wearing hoodies up when I'm hunting,esp stillhunting,restricts too much peripheral vision and sound,and I only flip it up sitting on a stand if I'm on the verge of freezing to death,lol
-if you plan to use a quad for retrieval,will a foot of snow render it all but useless?A toboggan/ice fishing sled,crazy carpet,or tarp might be more
useful,and much less expensive alternative if you don't have a quad.
-rope/straps for dragging said toboggan device,or even for dragging a deer without sled(they slide along forward with the grain of their hair pretty good on snow but are hard to grip antlers and/or front legs/much easier to rig some tow ropes)
-if you use your cellphone/iHunter app etc for navigation,keep it warm in an inside pocket,the cold kills batteries quickly
-gloves/mitts that are warm and dry with a good grip/feel on the rifle(not
slippery) and allow quick deployment of trigger finger
-dress in layers,hiking in snow is hard and sweaty work,your hunt will end early if you get soaked hiking in to a stand then sit there and shiver.
-stay hydrated,if your Gatorade freezes,don't eat the yellow snow,haha,that's all i got for now

Some of the best advise I’ve seen shared in a very long time..thanks!

Don_Parsons
11-02-2017, 08:41 PM
When we think it's cold, the critters are having a nice day.

Our Northern critters are weather hardy up here.

I'll take any day Harvesting in crappy weather compared to any day work every time.

Don

270person
11-02-2017, 09:56 PM
What is a chocolate bar hunter? I have never heard this.

Guys that drive around in their trucks, eat chocolate bars and drink coffee waiting for something to run out.

TylerThomson
11-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Guys that drive around in their trucks, eat chocolate bars and drink coffee waiting for something to run out.

Im getting a kick out of this because i had a pocket full of the kids Halloween candy for breakfast this morning when I was walking the bush.

Doc777
11-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Better for tracking

wildwoods
11-03-2017, 11:12 AM
A light Snow doesn't seems to bother deer. I agree with others that once that wind starts howling, things quiet down. Doesn't mean there isn't opportunity. You might just have to work a little harder for it

Ruger99
11-03-2017, 01:50 PM
I've shot some of the biggest bucks when it's snowing . It's not the first time they have been in the snow and they still need to eat and move . Mayen I shot the big ones cause everyone else was on The couch haha who knows .

trophybook
11-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Got my first bull elk in the snow last evening....set the bar high with a 7x7 . 1 shot 120 yards 130gr core lock from my 270 and he dropped in his tracks. Pics to follow when I figure out how

wildwoods
11-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Got my first bull elk in the snow last evening....set the bar high with a 7x7 . 1 shot 120 yards 130gr core lock from my 270 and he dropped in his tracks. Pics to follow when I figure out how

Well done!!!!!

Download tapatalk and you'll see how easy it is to post pics. Finally made the switch yesterday

Don_Parsons
11-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Yuppers, if the wind is brisk,,, head for the bush since its warmer with in the trees.

This give us a chance scout the draws.
Up draft stay on top,,, down draft move down...
Watch those escape routes.

Things happen fast.

Don

270person
11-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Im getting a kick out of this because i had a pocket full of the kids Halloween candy for breakfast this morning when I was walking the bush.

Best to buy Aero's for hunting.

mgvande
11-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Best to buy Aero's for hunting.

I didn't even think to bring candy while I sit under a tree. Tomorrow.