PDA

View Full Version : calling lake

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
anyone been out there if so is the ice off? how is the boat launch and is there a good camping area? Is it legal to make your own campsite in alberta we did it all the time in b.c ? I have another question hows the perch fishing at calling? ive never caught a perch and think it would be fun for the kids and i hear their tasty How do you catch them What lures and bait are guaranteed successful perch setups?

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
anyone been out there if so is the ice off? how is the boat launch and is there a good camping area? Is it legal to make your own campsite in alberta we did it all the time in b.c ? I have another question hows the perch fishing at calling? ive never caught a perch and think it would be fun for the kids and i hear their tasty How do you catch them What lures and bait are guaranteed successful perch setups?
anyone with info ?

Divert
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
"Guaranteed Successfull"
Is there such a thing in fishing, or anything for that matter?
There is a nice campground there but its small, and if your thinking of trying to get a site for may long I would suggest leaving maybe tommorrow very busy place

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
"Guaranteed Successfull"
Is there such a thing in fishing, or anything for that matter?
There is a nice campground there but its small, and if your thinking of trying to get a site for may long I would suggest leaving maybe tommorrow very busy place

i didnt mean succesful that way just setups that work for perch. can a guy make his own campsite in ab or is it illegal here.

happy perch fisher
05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
From what i hear about calling u have to book 1 year in advance for the may long. Maybe u stand a small chance of getting one of the extrelmly crowded overflow spots. The odds of you getting any perch out of calling during the summer is very low. Unless your very lucky and somehow find them but most likely you will just be wasting your time. Also bring a couple magazines or a tv because your probably be wating for about 2-3 hours to launch your boat.

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
From what i hear about calling u have to book 1 year in advance for the may long. Maybe u stand a small chance of getting one of the extrelmly crowded overflow spots. The odds of you getting any perch out of calling during the summer is very low. Unless your very lucky and somehow find them but most likely you will just be wasting your time. Also bring a couple magazines or a tv because your probably be wating for about 2-3 hours to launch your boat.

ha ha ive got a zodiac dont need a boat launch. may long is a gong show plus i gotta work . what do you guys use for perch. i caught hundreds of walley and pike in gregior lake last summer it was great there and hardley any crowds but you cant keep walleye there. didnt get any perch on jigs. im not sure if gregior has any eighther.

happy perch fisher
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
ha ha ive got a zodiac dont need a boat launch. may long is a gong show plus i gotta work . what do you guys use for perch. i caught hundreds of walley and pike in gregior lake last summer it was great there and hardley any crowds but you cant keep walleye there. didnt get any perch on jigs. im not sure if gregior has any eighther.

Most lakes u won't catch perch out of and most of the ones posted are overfished and almost all of them are under 6inches. Only the occanisly idiot post a good perch lake on here. If someone does post one i would hit it within the a month because after that unless its far away it will be wrecked.

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Most lakes u won't catch perch out of and most of the ones posted are overfished and almost all of them are under 6inches. Only the occanisly idiot post a good perch lake on here. If someone does post one i would hit it within the a month because after that unless its far away it will be wrecked.

well you can pm me:) im tageting walleye as usuall but again what do you use to catch perch.

savagencounter
05-12-2009, 10:33 PM

small perch are fine for the kids. everyone seems hard up to share secrets isnt that the point of this site?:rolleye2:

goober
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I have caught Perch many different ways in open water. Slip bobber and a small jig tipped with maggots, small spoon trolling, panther martin, kast masters and even tiny jigging Rapelas. Finding them is the tough part as HPF said. I normally troll a weighted panther or small spoon until I find them (or if I find them in most cases) and then go to a slip bobber set up. Using the slip bobber set up we always drift as well we do not anchor in one spot.

bardfromedson
05-13-2009, 07:39 AM
there is a nice clearing a couple of km before the turn off to calling right off the highway. stayed there 4 days last summer when the campground was full. lots of firewood.

bbell
05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Drove by there this morning and the ice is gone.

Mudslide
05-13-2009, 09:42 AM
"Only the occanisly idiot post a good perch lake on here."

"Truly a classic HPF post! :)

Drewski Canuck
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Buddy,

If your equipment is small, launch at Sucker Creek park north of the reserve. OR straight down from Moosehorn market, OR the subdivision road that leads to the lake about 100 yards north of Moosehorn market (Townsite north of the Park). LOCK UP YOUR STUFF AND KEEP STEALABLES OUT OF VIEW!!!! There are ALOT of great people living on the Reserve and in the townsite. There are a few bad ones as well. Nothing is worse than coming back off the water to find your stuff stolen, and the areas around the town site have a theft and vandalism problem.

For Camping, go over to the Jo Cat lodge on the road to Wabasca just after the Townsite turn off (Big Radio Tower). Trailers are parked there from the oil patch / logging workers. See if they will let you set up. Depending on your equipment, the Open Camp may let you in as well, which is just south of Jo Kats.

For perch, the only weedy shallow area that could hold perch at this time of year is in the north east corner just north of Sucker Creek park past the town site, by about 2 miles. You can fish up to the triangle which marks the closed water. Try "site fishing" as the water is gin clear, and if you toss a big spoon, you will actually bring the school in. These are not big perch. 6 - 10 pound walleye tend to clean out the perch before they get to 12 inches. The 25 pound pike take care of anything bigger than 12 inches.

To all the Negative Posters on this board, its obvious that this guy hasn't got a clue. We all were that way once. Do you want this sport to maintain numbers such that we have ANY voice with the government? If so, cut everyone some slack, and help the guy out. Who knows, he might become a friend.

Drewski

savagencounter
05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Buddy,

If your equipment is small, launch at Sucker Creek park north of the reserve. OR straight down from Moosehorn market, OR the subdivision road that leads to the lake about 100 yards north of Moosehorn market (Townsite north of the Park). LOCK UP YOUR STUFF AND KEEP STEALABLES OUT OF VIEW!!!! There are ALOT of great people living on the Reserve and in the townsite. There are a few bad ones as well. Nothing is worse than coming back off the water to find your stuff stolen, and the areas around the town site have a theft and vandalism problem.

For Camping, go over to the Jo Cat lodge on the road to Wabasca just after the Townsite turn off (Big Radio Tower). Trailers are parked there from the oil patch / logging workers. See if they will let you set up. Depending on your equipment, the Open Camp may let you in as well, which is just south of Jo Kats.

For perch, the only weedy shallow area that could hold perch at this time of year is in the north east corner just north of Sucker Creek park past the town site, by about 2 miles. You can fish up to the triangle which marks the closed water. Try "site fishing" as the water is gin clear, and if you toss a big spoon, you will actually bring the school in. These are not big perch. 6 - 10 pound walleye tend to clean out the perch before they get to 12 inches. The 25 pound pike take care of anything bigger than 12 inches.

To all the Negative Posters on this board, its obvious that this guy hasn't got a clue. We all were that way once. Do you want this sport to maintain numbers such that we have ANY voice with the government? If so, cut everyone some slack, and help the guy out. Who knows, he might become a friend.

Drewski Thanks for the info guys probably take the fam out sunday.

happy perch fisher
05-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Buddy,

Drewski
Not worth arguaging with a guy that fished it 20 years ago and thinks its still the same. I really didn't care anymore. Post what u want. Hopefully we can fish them all out.

big zeke
05-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Possibly Mr Canuck fished it 20 yrs ago, maybe 20 days ago, probably 20 minutes ago... His info is sound if you care to listen.

HPF, I don't understand why you insist on being the dark cloud connected to every silver lining. Have you ever had a mildly constructive post or just the same negative ramblings?

I read your posts for comic relief, that and as a cautionary lesson on attitude. Please don't waste the electricity if you are only going to be Mr Gloom & Doom.

BTW, Canuck is capable of being both an idiot and *****hole, but not about this stuff...

Zeke

Drewski Canuck
05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
You're the best BABY BRUDDER Big Zeke. You're also going to miss alot of fun this weekend!!

Drewski

JohninAB
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
savagencounter, if you want the kids to catch perch and a lot of them try Minnow Lake one day down the Wolf Lake road. Lots of success there fishing shallow with a small jig and piece of worm. Can watch them coming after your hook in the shallows and there will be lots of them coming unless it has changed in the past couple of years. Can also catch the odd walleye there and pike as well. Lake is small enough you don't need no big fancy rig to get around with either.

savagencounter
05-16-2009, 10:31 PM
has anyone been out on calling yet? if so how was the fishing? im split between pigieon and calling at the moment pigieon is closer but i havent tried calling yet so im keen to go there. Anyone fished there yet?

impatient_hunter
05-18-2009, 10:14 PM
I was out there this weekend and the fishing was slow. In shallow fishing for pike they nibbled and followed a lot but didn't hang on. When bottom bouncing for walleye worked some and caught some good size but the weekend was really cold so there wasn't many people out.

Safety D
05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Walleye fishing was slow but did limit out. It was one of the coldest may longs i have fished. Fishing should pick up if it warms up !!!

jbm
05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
The northeast corner is a good spot to try.

pei_fisher
05-13-2014, 11:09 AM
I thought the lake wasn't open until June 1, I'm going up for may long anyways as was the only spot left with open camp site. I would love to do some fishing while i'm there.

cube
05-13-2014, 12:14 PM
I thought the lake wasn't open until June 1, I'm going up for may long anyways as was the only spot left with open camp site. I would love to do some fishing while i'm there.

You are correct. Calling now opens June first but 5 years ago, when the posts above were made, it opened mid May.

Safety D
05-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Calling last year seemed to be quite dead compared to years before. I was there opening weekend and it was dead slow