PDA

View Full Version : 2017/2018 Ice Thickness Reports

Pages : [1] 2

CPT_420
11-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Just over 1 inch around Edmonton at several places. Let the games begin!

SNAPFisher
11-03-2017, 01:09 PM
Just over 1 inch around Edmonton at several places. Let the games begin!

Meaning some pothole lakes? I'm sure Pigeon is still open...though it is getting pretty cold overnight -17C out that way last night.

CPT_420
11-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Meaning some pothole lakes? I'm sure Pigeon is still open...though it is getting pretty cold overnight -17C out that way last night.

Ya the smaller ones. If I had to guess we will be walking on Pigeon in under a week.

SNAPFisher
11-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Ya the smaller ones. If I had to guess we will be walking on Pigeon in under a week.

I like it. See you at Mulhurst :)

SNAPFisher
11-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Holy carp! -20 out at Pigeon. Just might take a drive that way to see what is up...

roofish
11-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Last year at end of nov. temps went from above zero to double digit negative overnight. one week later there was one foot of ice at pit lake! (water was already cold and wind low that time too.)

TROLLER
11-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Too much snow it is insulating so the freeze is going to take some time. Not worth the risk just yet -20 or not.

Stay Safe

SNAPFisher
11-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Too much snow it is insulating so the freeze is going to take some time. Not worth the risk just yet -20 or not.

Stay Safe

Maybe 5 inches of snow here...and most of that likely fell into the lake. So no, it will not be an insulating factor yet. Hopefully the snow holds off and that is what the forecast shows. :)

bigfis
11-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Elbow lake . 3" to 7" of ice depending on how far out .

Skoaltender
11-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Gull mostly froze over last night, heard sylvan is part silly as well. My balls arent big enough to walk out and measure though.

oscar
11-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Lake Isle was frozen over today 🎣

Penner
11-05-2017, 07:42 AM
This ice is way too early, I still have some deer tags to fill dang it.

swampy45
11-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Isle Lake is froze already? Gull? Thats too early...

Guess I'll have to go check for myself at some local lakes...

TylerThomson
11-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Gull mostly froze over last night, heard sylvan is part silly as well. My balls arent big enough to walk out and measure though.

They make other types of flotation devices:sHa_sarcasticlol:

SNAPFisher
11-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Got my coffee and Bailey's, breakfast sandwich and drove out to Pigeon this morning.

Not as far as I would have hoped for ice but it is a start:

https://s25.postimg.org/tcf6lugbz/IMG_0251.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/et81kfn6z/)

Geese still floating around out there.
https://s25.postimg.org/p3agjnxn3/IMG_0252.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ku5qhhudn/)

https://s25.postimg.org/no8vuy49r/IMG_0253.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/951qtjb4r/)

Just the bays have a thin layer. I might walk on a Mulhurst in a couple of weeks when there is some solid ice.

1bluZebec
11-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Sooooo EXCITING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Bullets
11-05-2017, 03:12 PM
In 1986 I was ice fishing on Pigeon on November 5th. The ice was 4 inches thick 20 yards from shore. Caught a few whites.

Please be safe. A fish is not worth a funeral.

dopemop
11-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Chestermere is frozen. Didn't go out to check the thickness.

CPT_420
11-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Well I couldn't wait, ended up driving out to a near by larger pike lake and fished on a solid 1-2in of ice depending on the hole for an hour, lol. Its almost like there was no ice. After a rather enthusiastic hook set on the tip-up after my first bite of the year, and hearing the ice start shattering and water flooding around the hole, I decided that was enough for this outing :lol: Sketchy. But the bug is out so I can chill now until we have real ice, in hopefully a few days :lol:

Brandonkop
11-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Got my coffee and Bailey's, breakfast sandwich and drove out to Pigeon this morning.

Not as far as I would have hoped for ice but it is a start:

https://s25.postimg.org/tcf6lugbz/IMG_0251.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/et81kfn6z/)

Geese still floating around out there.
https://s25.postimg.org/p3agjnxn3/IMG_0252.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ku5qhhudn/)

https://s25.postimg.org/no8vuy49r/IMG_0253.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/951qtjb4r/)

Just the bays have a thin layer. I might walk on a Mulhurst in a couple of weeks when there is some solid ice.

I'll be there in three weeks... if the temps hold I'm hoping to be icing some fish there! Tell those geese to leave or take the shotgun to them! They're keeping the lake open.

SNAPFisher
11-06-2017, 08:35 AM
I'll be there in three weeks... if the temps hold I'm hoping to be icing some fish there! Tell those geese to leave or take the shotgun to them! They're keeping the lake open.

Yeah! Their poop is warming up the area and hindering ice formation. Someone do something!! :fighting0021: :)

CPT, that's not an ice report that is a blood chilling report. You got some guts...and nuts. 1-2 inches and the word solid do not combine. :)
But it is coming along for sure. Best of luck out there in the upcoming early season.

curtis_rak
11-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Lac Ste Anne is 2/3 iced over as if this morning.

darren32
11-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Wabamun partially froze over last night as well

https://i.imgur.com/HJYlreW.jpg

muzzy
11-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Just ordered my underwater TV camera and got the new ice shack painted up so ready to roll but I'll wait and play it safe

muzzy
11-07-2017, 03:41 PM
I was at lake Isle yesterday afternoon The middle still had a long narrow strip of open water. Be another day before its completely frozen across

FlounderPounder
11-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Gull mostly froze over last night, heard sylvan is part silly as well. My balls arent big enough to walk out and measure though.X2. They will get a lot smaller if attached to a body that breaks through .........

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lowrance Fishburn
11-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Climate change they say LOL :thinking-006:

Crankbait
11-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Twin Valley is 2 thru 3 inches at two distant locations checked, Ice formation looks decent but personally won't be hitting the ice till the 19th. snow atop is maybe 1/4 inch and that's being generous. though with the above day time temps plus wind coming up conditions might degrade or level out ice rapidly. Overnights will grow maybe 1/2 inch.

Pine Coulee is frozen all but the SE leg of the lake, so if you know how to access or are willing to walk a long long way, you might be able to fish from shore. rest of the lake has what I'd call sketchy grey ice, bubbly with signs of flood ice freezing atop. I personally wouldn't chance pcr for walk on until at least the 25th or further. Bridge area completely frozen for those thinking it might be open for casting. Frozen at boat launch too but sketchy.

Was going to check Clear and with what I gathered from TVR/PCR and the vegetation in Clear, I'd put it in the later part of November for comfy ice trudging.

So for the heavier less nimble over dressed ice fishers, November 25th should be walkable. for the gutsier ice shufflers, pack light and wear flotation or rope off a tinner and report back.

[edit: just checked long term forecast for area and for comfy ice, I'm going to bump the date up to December 1st. Overnights will grow ice but daytimes will degrade with wind and above temps.]

TROLLER
11-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Anyone hear how the ice is at Burnstik or Phyliss?

brent.till
11-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Anyone have an idea the ice at Newell or McGregor would be?

Thanks

straight
11-08-2017, 08:06 PM
McGregor is solid frozen as you can see from the north dam, 2.5" of ice. Water is not clear.

roofish
11-09-2017, 12:05 AM
4 inches of ice on trout lakes around edmonton. caught my limit in an hour!

Bassett
11-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Didn't go out and measure thickness but chip lake is frozen across as well.

THERICARDO
11-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Gull today is frozen over but pretty sketchy... 1.5 inches of ice till about 10 feet out. Was terrified to go any further... Will check again after weekend

SNAPFisher
11-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Gull today is frozen over but pretty sketchy... 1.5 inches of ice till about 10 feet out. Was terrified to go any further... Will check again after weekend

Thanks! It is appreciated but you don't have to rush checking. It should get some good ice now over the next week - at least half an inch per day.

One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of ice for opening day. I'm still predicting 13 average for Gull by 11-Dec.

CPT_420
11-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Yeah! Their poop is warming up the area and hindering ice formation. Someone do something!! :fighting0021: :)

CPT, that's not an ice report that is a blood chilling report. You got some guts...and nuts. 1-2 inches and the word solid do not combine. :)
But it is coming along for sure. Best of luck out there in the upcoming early season.

As long as you use caution and know how to read the ice, you would be surprised how much weight an inch of clear ice can support. That said, I have purposely broke through before in deep water to get out and I am quite comfortable. I'm sure we will run into each other out there this year, good luck to you too!

I was out again yesterday and landed my first pike this season, just a small guy but I didn't have much time to fish either. 2-3inches of ice depending on the hole!

cschache
11-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Any word on slave if it covered with ice yet? If it is I am sure it is scary thin.

SNAPFisher
11-10-2017, 08:57 AM
As long as you use caution and know how to read the ice, you would be surprised how much weight an inch of clear ice can support. That said, I have purposely broke through before in deep water to get out and I am quite comfortable. I'm sure we will run into each other out there this year, good luck to you too!

I was out again yesterday and landed my first pike this season, just a small guy but I didn't have much time to fish either. 2-3inches of ice depending on the hole!

Yeah, I'm just not that guy. I have enough trouble ice fishing on 8 inches...it is just me and my own fears.

Nice work on the pike!

I'm am impressed the weather held out for the past 2 weeks. The next 2 are just as cold and colder...unbelievable. I don't recall a code snap this early and this continuous for this long.

Next 2 week forecast at Pigeon:

Saturday, November 11 1 Low -12
Sunday, November 12 -3 Low -10
Monday, November 13 -1 Low -9
Tuesday, November 14 -7 Low -12
Wednesday, November 15 -10 Low -17
Thursday, November 16 -14 Low -19
Friday, November 17 -11 Low -14
Saturday, November 18 -7 Low -12
Sunday, November 19 -8 Low -13
Monday, November 20 -8 Low -13
Tuesday, November 21 -7 Low -11
Wednesday, November 22 -6 Low -11
Thursday, November 23 -7 Low -10
Friday, November 24 -7 Low -10

bobalong
11-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I'm just not that guy. I have enough trouble ice fishing on 8 inches...it is just me and my own fears.

I think a bit of common sense comes into play at this time of year. When you have been ice fishing for a few years you realize that lakes don't freeze even.
I have seen as much as 8" difference around points or reefs later in the winter.

First ice can be very unpredictable, I am very anxious to get out but I need a bit more than a couple inches to feel comfortable. I like at least 6-8" for walking as it usually still leaves 3-4" in the "skinny" parts.

Tabers Best
11-10-2017, 01:12 PM
A guy was ice fishing east of Taber today. I drove by and asked how much ice and he said he was on 6 inches.

TylerThomson
11-11-2017, 12:08 AM
A guy was ice fishing east of Taber today. I drove by and asked how much ice and he said he was on 6 inches.

Did you park yout truck beside his and then do some doughnuts around his shack before you left?

Tabers Best
11-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Did you park yout truck beside his and then do some doughnuts around his shack before you left?

No i shouted from shore to him he drug his sled 50 feet from shore only and it was cakm down south yesterday.

ROA
11-11-2017, 06:39 AM
This is the time of year the suits with flotation built in or even a life jacket and a set of spikes to claw your way out if you fall in are mandatory in my books. A guy is also smart to "spud" your way out with a heavy and sharp ice chisel as you walk. A few bucks spent on the basic equipment could save your life.

TylerThomson
11-11-2017, 07:43 AM
No i shouted from shore to him he drug his sled 50 feet from shore only and it was cakm down south yesterday.

Hahaha. I was just kidding. Once I get the wife her deer I can start fishing

Tabers Best
11-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Hahaha. I was just kidding. Once I get the wife her deer I can start fishing

Yeah i am stoked to get out as well was just kinda surprised to hear 6 inches. At least thats what he said

Kokanee9
11-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Early yesterday morning Bearspaw was frozen side to side and almost end to end. Inlet end was still in the process and will go further once the temps cool down more.

Weak ice, far from safe to even go on and test thickness.

Alex_Z_73
11-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Hi guys! Are there any updates on Spray Lakes?
Thank you!

ROA
11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Someone drove a car on Carson the other day. Didn't check how thick the ice is myself but it has got to be WAY to thin to be driving on with any margin of safety.

muzzy
11-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Any word on slave if it covered with ice yet? If it is I am sure it is scary thin.

Buddy lives in Slave Lake and he advised me yesterday its still wide open

Mayhem
11-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Any reports on Calling? Just looking for enough to walk on.

Thanks

dutchpirate
11-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Anyone been at Newell, 40 Mile, or Cypress Hills (Ressor/Spruce/Elkwater) yet?

Kim473
11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Ice north east of edmonton is about 4 inches, if the temps stay low we could be driving on in 2 to 3 weeks,

cschache
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Buddy lives in Slave Lake and he advised me yesterday its still wide open

Figured so but thought maybe just maybe it was getting close to be fully covered!! thanks muzzy!

AK47
11-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Lake McGregor today - solid 4 inches. Tons of pike in 3-5 lbs range ( please remind me why there is a zero limit? ).... no whitefish or burbot yet.

slingshotz
11-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Lake McGregor today - solid 4 inches. Tons of pike in 3-5 lbs range ( please remind me why there is a zero limit? ).... no whitefish or burbot yet.

Was there today as well, got a bunch of pike as well but didn't see one whitefish either. Were you the one of the two guys on the west end of the dam or the large group in the middle? We were at the west end the three of us (my wife and son were the ones speaking Finnish) and a dog (not the dog without a tail).

If you were one of the two guys, if our dog got too nosy and close to you guys I apologize. We try and keep her from getting too close to others but sometimes we might not have noticed how far she wandered.

facultoad
11-12-2017, 09:07 PM
I was there too, near boat launch. A few whites were cruising early- right after dawn. Caught a big rainbow but missed the whites. 4 inches all the way to the lomond causeway everywhere I checked

Bassett
11-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Jenkins, ghost, and Lawrence lake are all covered.

Baptiste lake still had some water in the middle.

AK47
11-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Was there today as well, got a bunch of pike as well but didn't see one whitefish either. Were you the one of the two guys on the west end of the dam or the large group in the middle?

Yes, I was with larger group in the middle.

SamSteele
11-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Anyone been to East Pit? I’ve never been there before and was thinking of going today.

petecatch
11-13-2017, 11:36 AM
We try and keep her from getting too close to others but sometimes we might not have noticed how far she wandered.
OT: Leash works

rmatei
11-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Any reports on Calling? Just looking for enough to walk on.

Thanks

Was there on the weekend, open in the center and ice out about 200 yards from shore. Personally would not walk out yet.

hellitsme
11-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Went for a Drive today. Lees lake by Burmis a good 4" by the launch. Beaver mines 5ish inches at least 100yards out didnt go farther out. Didnt stop at
Beauvais Lake put sure it is good also. Butcher Lake is 4ish inches. Old Man Dam, Waterton Dam, and St Marys Dam all still open. Caught a nice raindow at Beaver. I am getting excited.
:sHa_shakeshout:

petersontyler8
11-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Anybody have a chance to check out pigeon lake this weekend?

Mayhem
11-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Was there on the weekend, open in the center and ice out about 200 yards from shore. Personally would not walk out yet.

Thanks for the update rmatei.

CPT_420
11-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Was out at Wabamun yesturday and the ice was 3-4 inches. Solid clear and black. Fished 6 full hours, 3 holes, and saw literally 1 small (lets give credit where its due, he was at least not skinny) pike. These are spots I normally destroy in (even up until last year). Didnt even see an annoying walleye either. What the hell did F&W do with this lake?

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.

drhu22
11-14-2017, 02:18 AM
SNAPFisher, I love that first picture... you could name it Boat Launch Cancelled, or Itching For Ice Fishing.
I edited it a bit, hope you don't mind...
https://s8.postimg.org/ovv6133xv/IMG_0251_2.jpg

Scott N
11-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Went for a Drive today. Lees lake by Burmis a good 4" by the launch. Beaver mines 5ish inches at least 100yards out didnt go farther out. Didnt stop at
Beauvais Lake put sure it is good also. Butcher Lake is 4ish inches. Old Man Dam, Waterton Dam, and St Marys Dam all still open. Caught a nice raindow at Beaver. I am getting excited.
:sHa_shakeshout:

This is the report I was hoping to see! Thank you for posting.

SNAPFisher
11-14-2017, 08:06 AM
SNAPFisher, I love that first picture... you could name it Boat Launch Cancelled, or Itching For Ice Fishing.
I edited it a bit, hope you don't mind...
https://s8.postimg.org/ovv6133xv/IMG_0251_2.jpg

No problem at all :)
I knew I had to get a pic of the launch.

Didn't head out this weekend as I had the company yearly books to do and chose to XMas shop on Monday. So I'm not sure on Pigeon ice. I see the Wab report and I would say these lakes are somewhat similar in size but Pigeon would likely be a bit less ice since it is more open and wider than Wab. I'm thinking of heading North this weekend and waiting another week for Pigeon.

Btw, Cabelas was particularly stocked up on most things and it was dead in there at 11 a.m. yesterday. I could spend that day in that place...

swampy45
11-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Was out at Wabamun yesturday and the ice was 3-4 inches. Solid clear and black. Fished 6 full hours, 3 holes, and saw literally 1 small (lets give credit where its due, he was at least not skinny) pike. These are spots I normally destroy in (even up until last year). Didnt even see an annoying walleye either. What the hell did F&W do with this lake?

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.What a disaster that lake has become. I fished one of my usual spots yesterday too, where I would typically have at least a 3 species day, and decent numbers of all fish. 2 small walleye, and one skinny pike. Didnt see anything else all day long. Might be leaving Wabamun alone for a while.

"I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed."

darren32
11-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Ill be in Calgary tomorrow so I hope to hit something around there. Or maybe hit Pigeon on my way back.

Your a lot braver than me. Wabamun still had open water on Sunday (west end). The ice was popin' and singin' pretty good too which I always enjoy .... from the shore :)

https://i.imgur.com/bQ6yR0r.jpg

fishunter77
11-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Chickakoo lake has 4-5 inches.

58thecat
11-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Well even the slews have 3 " of open frozen ice so I was out on the quad and then decided to scoot through some tall grass and broke through, nose down in a few feet of water, arse high on frozen ice, reverse, hit it hard and out she came...be careful out there...other parts are really deep.

sundancedan
11-14-2017, 07:54 PM
Lac Ste. Anne had an good 6-8" of solid ice in 14fow today. Does this lake have any soft spots normally around Alberta Beach?

pikeman06
11-14-2017, 08:39 PM
No its not known for soft spots but usually when the ice is a foot thick it will heave big time around the midlake humps. Haven't been able to fish it the last couple years but always remember fishing tight to the heaves for whitefish. I don't know why they are attracted to it but it always worked for me. Maybe a light thing or a food chain thing or something.

Troy Cee
11-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Someone drove a car on Carson the other day. Didn't check how thick the ice is myself but it has got to be WAY to thin to be driving on with any margin of safety.

Holy crap!!!

Red Bullets
11-15-2017, 01:20 AM
No problem at all :)
I knew I had to get a pic of the launch.

Didn't head out this weekend as I had the company yearly books to do and chose to XMas shop on Monday. So I'm not sure on Pigeon ice. I see the Wab report and I would say these lakes are somewhat similar in size but Pigeon would likely be a bit less ice since it is more open and wider than Wab. I'm thinking of heading North this weekend and waiting another week for Pigeon.

Btw, Cabelas was particularly stocked up on most things and it was dead in there at 11 a.m. yesterday. I could spend that day in that place...

The difference between Wabamun and Pigeon is that Pigeon is about 400 feet higher in altitude. Not sure which would freeze quicker. The higher altitude or the lower altitude. Pigeon is actually on the last foothill furthest east of the mountains.

muzzy
11-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Well even the slews have 3 " of open frozen ice so I was out on the quad and then decided to scoot through some tall grass and broke through, nose down in a few feet of water, arse high on frozen ice, reverse, hit it hard and out she came...be careful out there...other parts are really deep.

stay away from the vegetation bullrushes, etc they retain heat and natural rotting process keeps ice thinner so this early very easy to go thru

timsesink
11-16-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking of heading out to either battle or Pigeon Lake with my boys tomorrow. Any update on ice thickness? With all my hunting tags filled and this early freeze it will be the earliest I've ever been on the ice!

Walk on only of course.

Game Hunter
11-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Pigeon 5-6 I heard

GonFishn
11-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Travers reservoir by the spillway. 6 different holes, all 6” of ice. :sHa_shakeshout:

PlayDoh
11-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Travers reservoir by the spillway. 6 different holes, all 6” of ice. :sHa_shakeshout:

All 6 “inches?” Of ice? How far from shore?

Evil69
11-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Travers, west end by the boat launch 7"
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=139765&stc=1&d=1510973969

GonFishn
11-18-2017, 08:40 AM
All 6 “inches?” Of ice? How far from shore?

Far enough to fish. 😁

Was about 20 ' past the spillway markers.

SamSteele
11-18-2017, 03:05 PM
4” on the north side of Birch.

otto389
11-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Drilled a couple of test holes this morning at the west end of wizard lake. The ice at each hole was 5"-6" thick.

swampy45
11-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Buck Lake- 4.5"
Battle Lake- average of about 5", lots of floodwater and springs. Be safe.

supersquid666
11-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Solid 7" at Cross(Steele) Lake P.P....went 150m out from boat launch, caught a ton of pike, all released. Then went to Long Island Lake...same ice, solid 7" with a little top water around the shore....pike were active and kept us busy...all released. Cant wait for gull to open..... anyone have info on Fallis area ice thickness????

caddisfly7
11-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Anyone make it out to any lakes around Grande Prairie and have a report? Spring, Swan, Moonshine, Snipe, Sturgeon? Thinking about trying next weekend.

Thanks

SNAPFisher
11-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Just adding for Pigeon - 6 inches of clear ice at all depths I tried - South side. Fished 10-20 FOW. New spot, no whites seen, 2 walleye landed...oh well. More spots to try in the upcoming weeks.

Shekka
11-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Obed lake had 7.5” of ice or more in every hole we drilled yesterday.

Smiity
11-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Heard from friends that Lake Newell is at least 4-6".

PlayDoh
11-20-2017, 10:53 PM
6-8” at Eagle Lake. 6” of good ice, above that is pretty white. 3”-6” of snow. Some ATV tracks. Fish on the slow side.

otter1000
11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Still some open water on east dam on rattlesnake as of yesterday

TroutTracker
11-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Or Ice conditions @ Spray Lake near Canmore...?

curtis_rak
11-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Walked out 1km on Ste Anne yesterday from RR40... 12" about 200yds from shore, 8-10" 1km out. Solid, clear ice. Borderline freaky to walk on the parts that weren't snow covered when you can see the bottom on certain spots.

Seen a few souls braving the wind yesterday fishing.

sundancedan
11-22-2017, 05:48 AM
I was out on Devils Lake yesterday, my first time there marked lots of fish, and some tankers but again unable to get any to commit. 6" of ice.

Not sure if ice was harder or my new auger blades became extremely dull very quickly, it was very difficult to cut through.

dryflyguy
11-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Any info on Snipe Lake?

swampy45
11-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Any info from anyone on some lakes from up north? Lac la Biche, Fawcett, Pinehurst, Calling, Rock Island? If I can get a report on them I can make some assumptions on smaller lakes in the areas about being able to drive or not... Thanks!

dutchpirate
11-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Went to Ressor today. 6-8 of very cloudy ice, maybe a 2 inch layer of dark in the middle. Lots of standing water. Felt solid walking out about 20-30ft but didn't venture further. With winds and temps this week, will likely get worse before it gets better.

Lowrance Fishburn
11-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Turns out that the Oilers management is on extremely thin ice.

Red Bullets
11-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Rule of ice thickness as told by the ACA.

PerchBuster
11-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Any info from anyone on some lakes from up north? Lac la Biche, Fawcett, Pinehurst, Calling, Rock Island? If I can get a report on them I can make some assumptions on smaller lakes in the areas about being able to drive or not... Thanks!

I heard Fawcett had about 6 inches on it so far. People have been out fishing it already. Good luck!

swampy45
11-23-2017, 06:32 PM
I heard Fawcett had about 6 inches on it so far. People have been out fishing it already. Good luck!

Thank you kindly!

swampy45
11-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Fished Lac la Nonne today, and the ice was terrifying. Anywhere from 1" to 6" of ice, and extremely varied. I walked out about halfway across the lake and back in the wind and pouring rain, and the ice is not looking good. Just my two cents.

Fishing was slow. Two small pike caught, and lost one decent white at the hole.

hippietrekker
11-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Didn't go out and measure thickness but chip lake is frozen across as well.

Just wondering if anyone has an update on Chip Lake? I know that at the best of times the ice can be variable there.

headchef
11-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Morning fellow fishermen, reporting from Mulhurst Bay/Pigeon Lake. With the lake freezing up this past few weeks,the concrete slabs have been pushed and stacked up in front of boat launch(hell of a mess). Buddy and I spent most of last sunday moving boulders, carving out ice, drlled a hole and flooded out the new passage way on to the lake. Went out 50yds and did a few test holes and were seeing about 6" of raw ice. Will be heading out again today and will be doing some test holes and will post new results. Cheers

headchef
11-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Mulhurst bay/Pigeon Lake Update. Well ice heaved somewhat at our passage way. Not passable for SUV's but 4x4's could make it over. Ice is pretty much 8-9" with a few spots showing 12 but of course heading straight out far ice is 7". Going to drag the ice shack out today but only using sidexside's. Cheers.

NSR_RAT
11-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Pigeon lake north side 6” about 150-200 feet from shore in 6 feet of water, very clear ice.

DuhPikeMasta
11-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Anyone been out to Sibbald?

mudbug
11-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Anyone checked the ice at Carson yet? :):shark:

headchef
11-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Ice house is out. Later boys.

Snazyevey
11-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Anyone been out to Eagle Lake this week? How's the ice? I assume an inch or so melted. But is it still safe enough?

supersquid666
11-24-2017, 06:37 PM
So went to Pigeon to the P.P. drop off, 8" of measured solid ice all the way out to the drop off.....slippery as hell with the rain and no snow on the lake. Not a fish in sight in 5hrs....only saw one...and it was dead on the bottom clear as day through the ice. Decided to try Battle(first time ever)...7" of ice with a lot more snow...but at least we had grip. Caught a few jack...2-3lb range....nothing special....but after the Pigeon experience it was golden. Also spoke with a guy that came out at Pigeon and said he came from Mulhurst and nothing there either. :angry3:

NSR_RAT
11-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Also got skunked at piegon today, saw 2 pike on the camera in 5 hours on the north side in the mission beach area, 4th time ever fishing there and still haven’t caught anything in as many different locations on that lake.

NSR Fisher
11-24-2017, 06:57 PM
If you guys don't mind me asking, what were you guys targeting when you got skunked at Pigeon? Were you using Walleye / Pike presentations or white fish ones?

Hoping to head out Sunday to try Mullhurst area Sunday. Hopefully the fish move in and the ice is still safe by then!

PlayDoh
11-25-2017, 03:06 AM
Anyone been out to Eagle Lake this week? How's the ice? I assume an inch or so melted. But is it still safe enough?

I was out on Thursday, half and inch of water on the ice but still 6 inches of ice. This week will rot the ice good, but it should be good enough to walk on. Bring cleats and check every 10 feet or so.
Fishing sucked, not a single bite. Seen a couple on the flasher but not even a nudge. By 6 pm the water froze up again, but this weather is going to rot the top 3 or so inches I’ll guess. Anything over the 6 inches wasn’t pretty 2 weeks ago.

headchef
11-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Home Sweet Home.

Sea Hawk
11-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Went to skelton and long lake yesterday. Walked on skelton saw one spot of open water along the weeds. The rest had 7 inches of ice and about 2 inches snow. Lots of skidoo and quad tracks along shore. Long lake had about 7 inches of ice and about the same amount of snow. Saw a couple guys in a side by side go about 2 miles down the lake. Lots of holes already on long. Fishing was slow.

supercrew75
11-25-2017, 09:05 AM

I was at Eagle lake yesterday. For the most part the top layer had no standing water. The ice was 6-7 inches deep still. As stated the fishing is dismal! Not even a bite in 6 hours.

mudbug
11-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Home Sweet Home.

Very nice :)

Steve51
11-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Antone have a report on newell? Want to head out tomorrow morning

darren32
11-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Wabamun south side near RR55 only abut 100' from shore. I am no expert but it looks like good solid ice to me.

https://i.imgur.com/y5DFfHs.jpg

ROA
11-25-2017, 05:23 PM
There was a rainstorm that went through part of northern Alberta NW of Edmonton that screwed with the ice. 8" hard clear ice is now 4" hard ice or less with a weak top layer of partially frozen snow slush and some flood water. Just a heads up.

Dave P
11-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Winchell has 4-6 inches

NSR_RAT
11-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Cardiff pond 6” on the south side in 7-17 feet of water, caught 3 rainbows and saw lots on the camera.

slingshotz
11-26-2017, 12:06 AM
Anyone have recent reports for Travers near the resort? I know there'll probably be water on top but wondering if there's any heaves and the status of the ice underneath.

SNAPFisher
11-26-2017, 06:04 AM
South side of Pigeon, now 8-11 of really solid ice. We did cross a fresh crack about and inch wide. The ice on either side didn't budge though. Cleats are useful. Went for whites. Both of use came close several times but otherwise ended up landing double digit walleye each. I had one that was pushing 5.5 lbs and really fat. Unusual looking for Pigeon. Good to see...oh and caught a 8 inch walleye too. Good to see as well.

jimm83
11-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Any updates/reports east or SE of Calgary would be appreciated. There was about 6" two weeks ago, I'm surprised to hear eagle still has 6" after all this warm weather.

calgarygringo
11-26-2017, 08:12 AM
A couple of my FB buddies were down by the campground dock area yesterday and posted pics of a bunch of whites. May want to try there just off the shore in the rocks.

Anyone have recent reports for Travers near the resort? I know there'll probably be water on top but wondering if there's any heaves and the status of the ice underneath.

DuhPikeMasta
11-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Update on sibbald lake. Ice is good 4-6" all around. However very low water level at freeze and tons of weeds. Not even fishable.

Sundancefisher
11-26-2017, 06:39 PM
A buddy broke through the ice at Chain Lake south.

Ice is 1-5 inches thick. A short hope away from 5 inch ice was 1 inch ice.

Remember. One ice thickness measure does not prove the lake is safe. Go with a buddy this time of year. Bring extra cloths. Bring a throw rope. Don't walk beside your buddy.

Don't die ice fishing.

Lake Sundance in Calgary is 1-5 inches thick.

Jawjacker
11-26-2017, 07:09 PM
I hope your friend is Okay . Thats scary.

Sundancefisher
11-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Fortunately he is doing fine. It was a lesson for everyone.

Scott N
11-26-2017, 07:38 PM

Yikes, that is a good safety reminder. Glad he's ok.

Red Bullets
11-26-2017, 10:24 PM
South side of Pigeon, now 8-11 of really solid ice. We did cross a fresh crack about and inch wide. The ice on either side didn't budge though. Cleats are useful. Went for whites. Both of use came close several times but otherwise ended up landing double digit walleye each. I had one that was pushing 5.5 lbs and really fat. Unusual looking for Pigeon. Good to see...oh and caught a 8 inch walleye too. Good to see as well.

Before Christmas the north shore is usually good for whites. Mission and Sundance beachs. Parking only at mission beach. There will be thin ice in front of Rundles Mission because of the spring.

Mackinaw
11-26-2017, 10:33 PM
has anyone been to Vegreville are there still perch there and hows the ice. might have to take a drive.
mack

caddisfly7
11-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Moonshine Lake had 9" on Saturday.

swampy45
11-27-2017, 10:51 AM
The rain and warm weather has been terrible for the ice. Lac la Nonne was 2" of bad ice the other day. I ended up going through with one foot/leg over a big crack that had opened up. Closer to shore was up to 6" of ice, but it is varying a lot. Be safe out there folks. If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll show you where I broke through.

Vapor
11-27-2017, 01:22 PM
This week's forecast isn't going to be helping much.

SNAPFisher
11-27-2017, 01:36 PM
This week's forecast isn't going to be helping much.

Pretty normal for this time of year. Still making ice at night. Next week looks back to -5 to -8 highs. So pretty much perfect...speaking of the Central and North of course.

swampy45
11-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Pretty normal for this time of year. Still making ice at night. Next week looks back to -5 to -8 highs. So pretty much perfect...speaking of the Central and North of course.

You got that right! Thinking this week I might be due for a drive down to Pigeon. Glad I didn't go today... this wind is relentless.

Duramaximos
11-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Any recent reports from SE of Calgary...Travers, Clear, McGregor, Newell?

PlayDoh
11-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Eagle still has 6-7 inches of glare ice. Wind was redonkulous. I set my gloves down for a moment, just to see one of them zipping along the ice. Stood up and my chair does the same. I caught up to the chair, but the glove made it clear across the lake, 1 mile in 2-3 mins.
I realized a benefit of being cheap is the 4 mile hike I did to get the glove back was good exercise lol.
I got one small eye right away at 11 am, then zip till 2. I’m headed east next trip.

PlayDoh
11-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Any recent reports from SE of Calgary...Travers, Clear, McGregor, Newell?

I’d guess Travers/mcgregor are still at 6 inches since they usually stay similar to Eagle.
I wouldn’t dare Newell without test drilling every 10 feet. That lake is notorious for thin ice.
I’ll have a Travers/McG report soon. Bring Cleats, or skates.

curtis_rak
11-28-2017, 06:18 AM
10-12" on Lac Ste Anne, south shore.

Lake was almost cleaned off of snow yesterday in the area I was in.

Outdoorsman_shane
11-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Has anyone been out to smoke lake by fox Creek? Wondering how much ice is on those lakes that way.

trophybook
11-28-2017, 12:23 PM
I don't think smoke ever gets good ice...lots of springs and sketchy IMO.

LutherDLG
11-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Was at Birch on Saturday - 4-6" of pretty good ice everywhere we drilled (most areas of the lake). Was extremely slick in the sun, cleats recommended.

Outdoorsman_shane
11-28-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't think smoke ever gets good ice...lots of springs and sketchy IMO.

Just has to be good enough to skidoo on

Outdoorsman_shane
11-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Smoke has 5-7" of ice, but springs are still open close to shore. Lots of water on top of the ice, very sketchy with a skidoo

ORV
11-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Just got a pic this a.m. open water on the south

end near Lomond.

f.y.i.

nikvikan
11-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Hey guys. Checkd yersterday-open water on Travers res, McGregor and Badger lake. No ice at all.:shark:

MountainHunter7
11-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Hey guys. Checkd yersterday-open water on Travers res, McGregor and Badger lake. No ice at all.:shark:

Thats Crazy usually some ice this time of year but With these warm temps not surprising. Hopefully we get a cold snap soon that starts making some ice.. Weather still looks like its going to be above 0 for the next couple weeks in Calgary during the day. Not Looking great.

dodger
11-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Looks like I can fire up the boat for a day :scared0018:

Dodger

slingshotz
11-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Where at Travers, at the east resort? Last week we were at the Little Bow part of Travers and it was still 4-6 inches but some open water right at the boat launch.

PlayDoh
12-01-2017, 01:33 AM

Are you trying to be funny, or keep people away? Or both?
I don’t think jokes are wise on an ice thickness / safety thread.
Looks like someone made up a profile to try and keep the lakes to himself.
Open water is believable, but ‘no ice at all’ is ridiculous.
Little if any ice is going to melt and evaporate at +8°, and when it’s still below freezing at night it all freezes back up. In fact the ice I’ve seen is better after it warmed up a bit. Melted the top inch or so, which was junk, and now rock solid. And there’s no more snow cover.

EYEGUY
12-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Good day all. Was wondering if anyone had any updates on the south shore ice. Just wondering if ice is thick enough for skiddo. Thank you all and good luck this season.

SNAPFisher
12-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Little if any ice is going to melt and evaporate at +8°, and when it’s still below freezing at night it all freezes back up. In fact the ice I’ve seen is better after it warmed up a bit. Melted the top inch or so, which was junk, and now rock solid. And there’s no more snow cover.

I'm glad someone spoke up. Not that I'm down South and seeing the conditions but I had to wonder when lakes like Pigeon are locked up tight with 10 inches of ice...makes no sense. It's not like the lakes in the South are in Arizona distance ... :)

It will be good to get some factual ice updates for our Southern folks.

Jigger
12-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Keep on trollin, trollin, trollin.

PlayDoh
12-01-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm glad someone spoke up. Not that I'm down South and seeing the conditions but I had to wonder when lakes like Pigeon are locked up tight with 10 inches of ice...makes no sense. It's not like the lakes in the South are in Arizona distance ... :)

It will be good to get some factual ice updates for our Southern folks.

Ya, I’d like to think it was a joke, but it looks like a puppet profile. I’ve been on Eagle Lake lots which is just as south as McGregor, and less than 100 kms away, and it is still at 6-7 inches. It was at 7-8 and 2-3 inches of snow, yet the top 2 of the ice was crap. Now it’s 6 of solid bare ice.
I’m hoping to hit Travers or McG today but not sure I’ll be able to swing it. It’s sad to think someone would ruin another’s opportunity to fish, because he wants to be a Dbag. That type of bs could do the opposite and lead someone to believe the ice is safe, when it’s not.

swampy45
12-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Good day all. Was wondering if anyone had any updates on the south shore ice. Just wondering if ice is thick enough for skiddo. Thank you all and good luck this season.

Wabamun was 8-10" yesterday, and Lac Ste Anne has 10-12" from everyone I have spokentoo that has been fishing along Val Quentin.

SNAPFisher
12-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Ya, I’d like to think it was a joke, but it looks like a puppet profile. I’ve been on Eagle Lake lots which is just as south as McGregor, and less than 100 kms away, and it is still at 6-7 inches. It was at 7-8 and 2-3 inches of snow, yet the top 2 of the ice was crap. Now it’s 6 of solid bare ice.
I’m hoping to hit Travers or McG today but not sure I’ll be able to swing it. It’s sad to think someone would ruin another’s opportunity to fish, because he wants to be a Dbag. That type of bs could do the opposite and lead someone to believe the ice is safe, when it’s not.

Agreed. Thanks for the updates.

ORV
12-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Just got a pic this a.m. open water on the south

end near Lomond.

f.y.i.

I can,t upload pic from my phone but if someone

wants to p.m me their cell number I can forward to you

Orv

PlayDoh
12-01-2017, 12:36 PM
I can,t upload pic from my phone but if someone

wants to p.m me their cell number I can forward to you

Orv

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/86d867acf92b827811a1554b6147d140.jpg

There’s often open water there, and isn’t really indicative of the rest of the lake(s).

I’m presuming this is from the highway, at the spillway.

ORV
12-01-2017, 12:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171201/86d867acf92b827811a1554b6147d140.jpg

There’s often open water there, and isn’t really indicative of the rest of the lake(s).

I’m presuming this is from the highway, at the spillway.

it is at the south end by the bridge going to Lomond
we have a lot at the estates & friends living there.
you are right. it could be different at the milo end
less run off there from melting snow.

thanks for posting!

Orv.

PlayDoh
12-01-2017, 01:02 PM
it is at the south end by the bridge going to Lomond

we have a lot at the estates & friends living there.

you are right. it could be different at the milo end

less run off there from melting snow.

thanks for posting!

Orv.

No problem. I’m no local or Travers expert for the record. I’ve just seen open water there most of the time I’ve been there and 6 inches or more everywhere else on Travers and McGregor.
I was also once flamed for cautioning people due to open water there, lol.

ORV
12-01-2017, 01:12 PM
No problem. I’m no local or Travers expert for the record. I’ve just seen open water there most of the time I’ve been there and 6 inches or more everywhere else on Travers and McGregor.
I was also once flamed for cautioning people due to open water there, lol.

it is over 25ft deep under that bridge. we stay well clear of
that area when we ice fish down there.
very sketchy area i.m.o. but to each their own. I shudder when I see tire tracks go under it in the winter.

Bartfly
12-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I was talking to a guy at the Fishin' Hole today and he said all the lakes in the south (Pine Coulee, Keho etc) all seem to be open water. My lake in Calgary is frozen solid but they won't let us on it yet due to it being thin. Hopefully that helps people decide if they want to venture out that way.:sign0176:

Ppb
12-01-2017, 05:09 PM
To my surprise they just opened our community lake to skating and ice fishing in Mckenzie lake. I haven’t been over yet to fish so not sure the thickness of ice but it must be over 8” if they’ve opened it up.

NSR Fisher
12-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Thinking about hitting Pigeon or Buck this weekend. Anybody been out that way recently? haven't seen any recent reports just trying to be cautious.

DiabeticKripple
12-01-2017, 10:04 PM
the above pic is the east end of the lake at the dam. theres open water at the center of the lake by the resort as well.

PlayDoh
12-02-2017, 01:09 AM
the above pic is the east end of the lake at the dam. theres open water at the center of the lake by the resort as well.

Ah, ok now I know where it’s at. Damn, that sucks. I should have gone there while I could.

dutchpirate
12-02-2017, 05:44 AM
Aerial of Rattlesnake Dec 1

cujo1969
12-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Some open water north end McGregor guys still ice fishing but looks sketchy as hell. One group had a little boat to get on ice along dam. Other guy standing on ice jigging into the open water. Think I will wait awhile.

Bassett
12-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Any updates on star lake? Any trout biting? Hoping to head tomorrow.

223MB
12-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Any updates on star lake? Any trout biting? Hoping to head tomorrow.

Never been ice fishing at star. I'm the past has it been decent?

PlayDoh
12-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Other guy standing on ice jigging into the open water. Think I will wait awhile.

And the Darwin Award goes to....

Standing on 4-6 inches of ice with open water elsewhere on the lake is understandable. The Boat is a good idea.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/f6e027fbd5fb55adfceb765288ce24c4.jpg

nikvikan
12-02-2017, 09:39 PM

Hey smart dude. You can go and check it if you do not trust me.

PlayDoh
12-02-2017, 09:45 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171203/66935335e0b586ea793eda2a0ef8cff3.jpg

No ice at all you say? It doesn’t take a genius to know that ALL the ice didn’t disappear. That’s the part of your post that was off.

People fishing on McGregor today, so you tell me how somebody should take your report?

nikvikan
12-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Where at Travers, at the east resort? Last week we were at the Little Bow part of Travers and it was still 4-6 inches but some open water right at the boat launch.

If you mean Travers dam provincial campground-no ice, open water everywhere.

nikvikan
12-02-2017, 09:50 PM
I was talking to a guy at the Fishin' Hole today and he said all the lakes in the south (Pine Coulee, Keho etc) all seem to be open water. My lake in Calgary is frozen solid but they won't let us on it yet due to it being thin. Hopefully that helps people decide if they want to venture out that way.:sign0176:

Good and solid ( around 10") ice on yellow head, winchell lake and sibbald pond.

NSR_RAT
12-02-2017, 11:03 PM
10 inches on Wabamun at fallis, clear solid ice.

papirus
12-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Lower kananaskis lake is frozen, 7-8 inch ice, one person was fishing 50 yards in, nort end of the lake where the boat lunch is...

Upper kananaskis lake unfrozen, kayaking available if you dare ...

Bassett
12-03-2017, 02:30 PM
10+ at star and lac st anne

Jigger
12-03-2017, 02:34 PM
At least 8" of good clear ice at CVR

PlayDoh
12-03-2017, 02:36 PM

God bless you. Best news I’ve gotten in weeks. Thanks

papirus
12-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Low water level, frozen solid... didnt even bother the drill...

papirus
12-03-2017, 05:02 PM
12 inch solid black ice 25yards in, i was there about 2 hours,
not even bite but, other people's said, they caught small size rainbows...
good luck...

SamSteele
12-03-2017, 05:18 PM
5” at Spring Lake today. We caught 3 rainbows, all around 15”.

Fishtracker
12-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Lower kananaskis lake is frozen, 7-8 inch ice, one person was fishing 50 yards in, nort end of the lake where the boat lunch is...

Thanks for the report. How much snow on lower K?

NSR Fisher
12-03-2017, 06:13 PM
8" to 10" of clear, solid ice at Pigeon.

Me and Jeff hit up mullhurst hoping for whitefish, walked on with the sled. Walked along a huge ice heave to our spot, the heave would be pretty scary to pass on a quad or snow mobile, its quite large so heads up.

As for how the fishing was; saw a few walleye, only got one onto the ice though. Also had a nice size pike bite me off while trying to target whites. Fished from 7 to 15 FOW. Pretty quiet, only a few other guys out that we could see.

PS: Has anyone seen a whitefish in Pigeon the last year or so? I can't find them for the life of me.

papirus
12-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the report. How much snow on lower K?

Some parts exposed some parts has snow dunes, over all I would say about 3-5 inch snow... blizzard happens there every hour, never know it might end up 2 feet snow at some point...

Bassett
12-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Saw lots of huge whites at Alberta beach. Nothing would bite though

MountainHunter7
12-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Ghost Res has 8" of solid clear Ice. Only drilled 3 holes straight out from the Boat Launch all 8" didn't check anywhere else on the lake..

South side of the Boat Launch has the typical heave running from shore to the Dam. looks Relatively small compared to some years. Its there every year though.

bobalong
12-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Saw lots of huge whites at Alberta beach. Nothing would bite though

Have not fished it for a few years but we used to have pretty good luck with the wetaskiwin special in gold out there and the small silver len thompson spoons. Good Luck

SKSniper
12-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Anybody know how La Biche is looking?

caddisfly7
12-04-2017, 08:19 AM
5” at Spring Lake today. We caught 3 rainbows, all around 15”.

Were you at Spring Lake north of Hythe?

SamSteele
12-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Were you at Spring Lake north of Hythe?

Sorry, I was at the Spring (Cottage) Lake just west of Stony Plain.

caddisfly7
12-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Sorry, I was at the Spring (Cottage) Lake just west of Stony Plain.

Ok! Thanks!

savage21
12-04-2017, 10:06 AM
8" at snipe lake 400 yards out

pinelakeperch
12-04-2017, 11:32 AM

Wow, that surprises me. Thanks!

nikvikan
12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Some open water north end McGregor guys still ice fishing but looks sketchy as hell. One group had a little boat to get on ice along dam. Other guy standing on ice jigging into the open water. Think I will wait awhile.

Anybody know how north end McGregor looking? Somebody standing and fishing from the ice?

7magtime
12-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Any recent updates on Slave Lake, thanks.

Duramaximos
12-04-2017, 01:38 PM
There were several groups ice fishing the north end of McGreggor this weekend.

There is some open water but much more solid fishable ice. Proceed with caution.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Duramaximos
12-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Just to be clear, if you enjoy fishing the rocks on the north dam, there is still significant open water at that particular spot.

nikvikan
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Just to be clear, if you enjoy fishing the rocks on the north dam, there is still significant open water at that particular spot.
Thank you Duramaximos. I prefer ice fishing during winter. Will wait a real ice.

Jigger
12-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Wow, that surprises me. Thanks!

Me too, was out again today at a different spot and it was about 10.5-11", good quality ice but bring cleats she's mighty slippery

pinelakeperch
12-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Me too, was out again today at a different spot and it was about 10.5-11", good quality ice but bring cleats she's mighty slippery

Wow, that's super unexpected. Thanks!

Remps17
12-05-2017, 11:13 AM
looking for Newell reports if anyone has been out that way. Looking to hit it this weekend or next week.

Thanks in advance

muzzy
12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
was out on south shore lac ste anne on sunday took quad 10 inches ice booming and cracking like crazy though.

rafhone
12-05-2017, 11:50 AM
looking for Newell reports if anyone has been out that way. Looking to hit it this weekend or next week.

Thanks in advance

Was out there last weekend. Saw about 7 inches of good ice in the shallows. I wouldn't cross any ice heaves or go far from shore if I was you. Bring ice cleats and sun tan lotion.

PlayDoh
12-05-2017, 03:25 PM
8.5 inches at Eagle. Skiff of snow and fish still slow.

KJPFISH
12-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Newell - SW bay has 6-8” of solid ice Dec. 5

HoytCRX32
12-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Anyone been out to Beaver Mines lately?

FlounderPounder
12-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Any reports on Lac la Biche?

Magnet
12-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Any reports on Rattlesnake Lake?

Hunter4ever12
12-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Any reports on Rattlesnake Lake?

Open water everywhere,I fished from shore yesterday at the dam. Other side has ice off the shore but it’s soft and only in the shallow parts. Can’t believe how low the lake got.

thedonald
12-07-2017, 07:11 AM

There is now a good inch of ice all over the upper lake. Might be a small open channel at the river mouth.

slamilton
12-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Any updates for Chain Lakes near Longview?

Magnet
12-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Open water everywhere,I fished from shore yesterday at the dam. Other side has ice off the shore but it’s soft and only in the shallow parts. Can’t believe how low the lake got.

Thanks man

Steve51
12-08-2017, 09:11 AM
has anyone been out to Burnstick? would like to head out monday.

muzzy
12-08-2017, 11:40 AM
any updates on slave lake? Assineau Canyon Creek?

fishhard
12-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Hello. Has anyone been to lac la none lately? is the ice safe now to walk on. TIA.

NSR Fisher
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Lac La Nonne is probably safe to walk out on but not for quads / snow mobiles. Last I saw it was around 6 inches, and it's been quite warm and windy.

Use extreme caution but if you're not going far out you should be OK.

Poppa
12-08-2017, 03:45 PM
has anyone been out to Burnstick? would like to head out monday.
iFish AB site had a post from Dec 3...dude said consistent 8" ice. Was catching lots of perch. Hoping it's somewhat solid on Sunday, 'cause I wouldn't mind making the drive out from Olds, too...

ajb92
12-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Any reports on Lac la Biche?

I was up there yesterday. Didn't get out on the lake to measure but there were sled tracks and some holes drilled off the boat launch in town.

Sea Hawk
12-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Friend of mine was at lac la biche last weekend and saw a truck on the ice at the park. It was near shore.

Sea Hawk
12-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Spent the day at calling. We walked out and saw lots os sled tracks. Found 11 inches of good ice. Caught our walleyes, a few good pike and a 63 cm whitefish. Beautiful day, fishied the afternoon without a coat.

NSR_RAT
12-08-2017, 06:24 PM
12 inches of solid black ice on the east side of Wabamun, slow day caught 4 walleye and 1 small pike.

spoons
12-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Fished Friday. Solid 9 inches of ice where we walked to. Didn’t see any trucks out there but lots of sled tracks. Fishing was not good

curtz
12-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Spent the day at calling. We walked out and saw lots os sled tracks. Found 11 inches of good ice. Caught our walleyes, a few good pike and a 63 cm whitefish. Beautiful day, fishied the afternoon without a coat.

Did the ice heave or did it freeze smooth ?

Evil69
12-09-2017, 03:23 PM
McGregor (North end/ Milo)has 8 inches However there is open water at the south tip(road/trail south of boat launch) and the weed bed in north/west end by the dam has a hole of open water. Looks sketchy along the dam but there was one guy on the ice.

Fishing was slow.

Sea Hawk
12-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Did the ice heave or did it freeze smooth ?

Cabin owner said there is a heave starting in front of the boat launch but he had cut it down. No heave on the east end

Bhflyfisher
12-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Has cold lake even started to freeze up yet?

Fish along
12-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Anyone know the thickness of the ice in Dried Meat Lake?

curtz
12-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Cabin owner said there is a heave starting in front of the boat launch but he had cut it down. No heave on the east end

Thanks

Swampratt
12-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Anyone know the thickness of the ice in Dried Meat Lake?

Fished dried meat 2 days ago, 12” of ice, had the quad

Stryker2
12-10-2017, 01:01 PM
anybody been to Buck lake and know how much ice there is there?:)

slingshotz
12-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Anyone been to Badger lately? I'm assuming it's pretty thin due to the wind and temperatures.

TROLLER
12-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Wide open the last report I saw. Do not think many of the south lakes are too safe

caddisfly7
12-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Snipe Lake (Valleyview) had 6" of ice, looked like less in areas which we stayed away from. A family came by on a side by side and a few moments later the back half was through the ice. Everyone got off ok, but another reminder that those things can happen! We left before the recovery began.

Also Swan Lake had a solid 9" of ice.

Crankbait
12-10-2017, 07:26 PM
anybody been to Buck lake and know how much ice there is there?:)

5 thru 9 inches as of monday

Scott N
12-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Anyone been out to Beaver Mines lately?

We were out on Beaver Mines today, Dec. 10. Ice was about 5".

https://i.imgur.com/1x6bWPn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G16lCNV.jpg

Stryker2
12-10-2017, 08:18 PM
5 thru 9 inches as of monday

Thank you!:)

wookie
12-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Has anyone been out to Crawling Valley over the last few days? I want to head out there and walk on but 2 hours is a long way to drive if the ice is bad. Thanks in advance

PlayDoh
12-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Has anyone been out to Crawling Valley over the last few days? I want to head out there and walk on but 2 hours is a long way to drive if the ice is bad. Thanks in advance

Eagle has 7-8 inches so I’m sure it’ll be fine for foot. Seen a guy driving a car on Eagle today.
With all this warm weather the ice has stayed the same, in fact slowly grown. It’s starting to ‘talk’ now that there’s a few heaves.
I’d be amazed if there wasn’t anything less than 6 at CVR, and I’d guess 7-9. I would have went there today but thought it could be a gamble so wanted to check Eagle.

Fishing was good at Eagle so I stayed.
I had around 7 on, but only landed 2. Had one break my braid, yet it was on it’s 3rd season. Still they were fighting good.

I might get out there tomorrow too. Probably north end, dark grey Chevy, and might bring the quad.

Don_Parsons
12-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Looks like the ice fishing cabin is going onto the lake today.

My good friend tested the ice yesterday, and it's a go.

Ye Ha

Good times ahead

Don

SNAPFisher
12-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Gull has an average of 13 inches. Lots of heaves forming now. North side as 2 heaves that are pretty dangerous to cross. No one in vehicles tried, just quads and skidoos. I was on foot.

Sylvan has an average of 8.5 inches. RR23 was 9 inches. Sunbreaker was 8 inches so I think an average of 8.5 is about right. Huge heave at Sunbreaker which was on the move. Good amount of water on the ice from the heave. RR23 has no heaves and is nice, clean and slippery! The entire surface of Sylvan looks like a mirror from a distance. No snow.

Did crappy at Gull...sigh. Sylvan I only started fishing for the last hour but did mange a white and a pike. Lots of missed whites.

Helgs28
12-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Anyone have any recent updates on Lac St Anne? Don't really want to drive the couple hours to find out myself :thinking-006: Thanks!

Jigapoolza
12-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Can anyone tell me if Cold Lake is froze over , if so how thick is the ice?