PDA

View Full Version : Black Nugget Mine Pit

lonehunter
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Anybody fished in Black Nugget mine Pit, Looks like it is stocked with 25,000 Rainbows, and its about an hour drive from Edmonton, Friend of mine told me that He has fished there long time ago and caught some decent size bows, any infos???

bodomtyrant
05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Fishing there can be really slow I have not been there for a couple of years now There are some nice trout in there but I have foun they are hard to come by

McLeod
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Soon as they stock it the battle is on between fisherman catching thise 6 inch stockers..mmmm...and cormorants..

If the a few fish winter they can be a decent size and the food supply is good and a fish can be a couple of pounds in the second summer.

Water levels were good last year.

Son of Sniglett
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I call black nugget a waste of time fishery.

It is ugly and the action sucks.

Mark my words, I will never make another trip out to that lake.

bodomtyrant
05-15-2009, 12:41 AM
hey SOS are you mad cause you didn't pull a fattie like mine out of there

Troutscape
03-18-2012, 11:32 PM
I spent 5 days camping out there a few years ago. I had a boat and tried may different places and depths. Different flies, different retrieves. I didn't see a single fish rise, but I did see hundreds of leeches. There may be big fish in there, but they are probably getting fat on millions of leeches and could be difficult to catch, especially on the fly.

Lots of beautiful birds though, including red-winged black birds. Lots of muskrat too.

BeerLover
07-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Just got back yesterday. I have a Zebec inflatable (same as a Zodiac ). Fished for 3 days with my son-inlaw. Both used various wet and dry flies. Floating line, sinking line (Fly fishing) and also several types of trout spinners and spoons on both fly and mono line. NOTHING. Several people were fishing both from shore and in boats. Nobody caught anything in the 3 days I was there. My GPS showed that there was several fish in the lake but they were not biting. Very poor, will not be back.

fishunter77
07-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Also tried it for a day last week.
Worked it hard. Water was awful. I could not see my lures 3 inches below surface. Full of algae. Not a bite. Don't feel bad, I had the whole lake to myself and now I know why!!
Better trout ponds out there, just wanted a change. It sure has changed in 10 years with the campground and signing in.

Talking moose
07-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Was fine last year. Catching tiger trout left right and centre.

FlyTheory
07-26-2017, 08:18 AM
I call black nugget a waste of time fishery.

It is ugly and the action sucks.

Mark my words, I will never make another trip out to that lake.

2X, but at least it's a place for some people to catch their limit of mud trout

SNAPFisher
07-26-2017, 08:35 AM
2X, but at least it's a place for some people to catch their limit of mud trout

mmmmmm mmmmmmm mud. It's what's for dinner.