PDA

View Full Version : Spiker in the crosshairs

Wiz
11-17-2017, 03:39 PM
To shoot or not to shoot...... skunked so far this year... could be my last day out... so I shoot or wait and see if a bigger boy comes out?

Ps..coyotes led me to him and distracted him... real weird

marlin1
11-17-2017, 03:40 PM
you need the meat ? take him , you want a bigger rack , wait . JMO :)

Jay Kyle
11-17-2017, 03:51 PM
you need the meat ? take him , you want a bigger rack , wait . JMO :)

Yup.. what's your freezer telling you!

crazy_davey
11-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Is he standing on a road allowance?

wildwoods
11-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Depends what you're after. You're gonna get 50 different opinions here. I would rather hang my tag on the Christmas tree than tag a spiker. They don't get big if you shoot the little guys.
Conversely the young ones are excellent eating. So if that's what you're after- shoot away

carlson
11-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Is your freezer empty? That’s really the only question that needs to be asked

Dweb
11-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Shoot

trophybook
11-17-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm a little ****ed at my neighbors, I have a sweet piece of crown land that holds elk and lots of deer in 334 pm me and I'll give you the details wiz.

Wiz
11-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Is he standing on a road allowance?

Haha! Nope, he’s on a private qtr. maybe I’ll catch up with him again in a few years! Awesome day out there nonetheless. I know where I’m putting in for a mule tag next year that’s for sure.

Slicktricker
11-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Would never shoot a spiker they need to grow meat in freezer or not plenty of does out there if need the meat

covey ridge
11-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Depends what you're after. You're gonna get 50 different opinions here. I would rather hang my tag on the Christmas tree than tag a spiker. They don't get big if you shoot the little guys.
Conversely the young ones are excellent eating. So if that's what you're after- shoot away

I think that those spikers should be removed from the gene pool. I have read many times that spikers will get larger if they live longer but they will never be really outanding bucks. A buck that is destined to be hugh will start out at least as a forker and some whitetails first antlers are 4 points.

Wiz
11-20-2017, 07:20 AM
I think that those spikers should be removed from the gene pool. I have read many times that spikers will get larger if they live longer but they will never be really outanding bucks. A buck that is destined to be hugh will start out at least as a forker and some whitetails first antlers are 4 points.

What I call Spiker may be wrong, he had a little forked rack on him, not just a single spike.