PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Wild Dishes

warby
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey all thought I'd quizz you on your favorite wild dish. I have a freezer full of game and would love to try a few different recipies if you're willing to share them.

Dick284
12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Wild game Enchalada Cassarole
Oven Baked Big Game Round Steak
Bacon Wrapped Fillet Mignon, ala Venison
Big Game Pot Roast
BBQ'd Deer Chops
Deer Burger Taco's
Hot Italian Deer Sausage, in Spaghetti Sauce with Spaghetti

Just to list a few.
Buy a couple of game cook books. (3 of these 7 are from the hard bound(brown) edition that even Wally World sometimes carries)

Your only limited by your imagination.
Drop me a PM, and I can e-mail you some killer recipies,

lethalconnection
12-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Pick up some tex mex marinade from the local grocery store and marinade some steaks in it for a day then throw them on the bbq and ooohhh boy nothing like tender spicy deer steaks mmmm or the classic, season some steaks with montreal steak spice some seasoning salt then fry them in garlic butter, oh boy hang on i got to get a napkin to wipe my drool........another one is slice some steaks into strips and season them what ever way you want then quick fry them and wrap them in a soft tortilla shell with fryed veggies, oh god too good.:p :p :p

Fried Deer Heart Slices
12-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Any heart will do moose ,Elk etc.

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 deer heart,sliced 1/4" inch thick
vegetable oil or bacon dripping's

On a sheet of waxed paper,Mix flour,salt,and pepper.Dip heart slices in flour,Turning to coat.In medium skillet,heat 1/8 inch oil over medium heat until hot.Add heart slices.ZFry until browned and cooked through,about 5 minutes,turning once. Enjoy 2 to 4 servings.:D :D

Oven-Barbecued Rabb
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Barbecue Sauce:

2 Medium onions.finely chopped
2 Green peppers,finely chopped
1 clove garlic,minced
1 cup water
1 cup cider vineger
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup packed brown surgar
1/4 cup butter or margarine,cut up
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 Rabbit's,cut up

Heat oven to 300 degrees. In medium saucepan, combine all barbecue sauce ingredients.Cook over medium-High heat until bubbly,Stirring occasionally. Reduce heat.Simmer 10 min.Arrange rabbit pcs, in single layer in 13x 9 inch bakeing pan.Pour sause evenly over rabbit pcs. bake until tender,2 1/2 to 3 hrs. turning pcs, occasionally.:p

Venison Breakfa
12-31-2006, 05:27 PM
1 Pound trimmed deer or other big-game meat
6 ounces lean bacon ends or slab bacon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried crushed sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cut the deer and bacon into 3/4 inch cubes.Place in medium mixing bowl.in small bowl,mix salt,sage,ginger,and pepper.Sprinkle over meat;mix well.Chop or grind to desired consistency.Shape into thin patties and fry over medium heat until browned and cooked through,turning once.:b :p

Big Game Baked
01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
2 to 3 Pounds boneless deer,antelope,elk,or moose round steak 1 inch thick.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
brown sugar
catsup
dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon butter or margarine,cut up
1/4 cup beef broth

Heat oven to 350 degree's trim meat;cut into serving-sized pcs.Pound to 1/2- inch thickness with meat mallet.On a sheet of wax paper,mix flour,salt,and pepper.Dip steaks in flour mixture,turning to coat.in large skillet,melt 1 tablespoon butter in 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.Add coated steaks;browm on both sides. Fry in two batches if necessary,adding additional butter and oil .arrange browned steaks in 12x 8- inch baking pan.Sprinkle with onion.Top each steak with 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar and 1 teaspoon catsup. Sprinkle lightly with basil.Dot with 1 tablespoon butter. add stock drippings in skillet.cook over medium heat for about 1 minute ,stirring to loosen any browned bits. add to baking pan.Coverwith aluminum foil.Bake for about 45 minutes.Remove foil.If meat appearsdry,add a small amount of water to pan.bake until browned on top,about 15 minutes longer.( 6To 8 Servings) Lot of work but well worth it I think.:D

Davey Crocket
01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Peter, I do the same fer heart, but after frying in flour to a golden brown, I add 2 cans of mushroom soup on top, with some thickly sliced onions too top it off, simmer fer 10- 15 mins on low heat. I then put on a bib, and dont come up fer air till the plate is licked clean!!!.... LOLOL:rollin

shotgun
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Old and simple but still the best.

Deer tenderloin cut into medallions, wrap with bacon around outer edge (held together with a toothpick). coat pan with olive oil on med. high heat. Cook to medium. small amount of salt.

sheep hunter
01-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Went to a buddy's hunting partner's place for dinner last week in Jasper and had moose bulgogi. It was awesome. Actually the whole meal was out of this world. Any chance of sharing the recipie Bigbull????

albertaboy74
01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Moose backstrap on the BBQ hands down. Mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Old-Fashioned V
01-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I add 2 cans of mushroom soup on top, with some thickly sliced onions too top it off, simmer fer 10- 15 mins on low heat. I then put on a bib, Sounds good I will have to add that next time.:D

1-1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of beer
2 envelopes (7/8 ounce each) onion gravy mix
1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/4 Teaspoon ground thyme
2 to 3 Pounds of deer,antelope,elk,or moose stew meat.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
6 carrots,cut into 1-inch pcs.
6 medium parsnips,cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup frozen Peas

In small mixing bowl,blend water,beer,gravey mix,brown sugar,and thyme.Set aside.Remove all fat and silverskin from meat.Cut into 1-inch pcs.In Dutch oven, brown meat in oil over medium-high heat .Add beer mixture and bay leaf to dutch oven.Reduce heat ;cover.Simmer until meat is almost tender,1 to 1- 1/2 hours,Stirring occasionally. Add carrots and parsnips;re-cover.cook 20 minutes longer .Add peas;re-cover.Cook 5 to 10 min longer.Discard Bay leaf before serving.

ANorthwind
01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
mmm... wild dishes... arglarglargl...

so I tasted Goose strips this year... so good ... they were made by marinade in the bottled teryaki sauce overnight, then a cup of soya, a cup of oil, and I think honey garlic sauce on it ... then fried.. so good

I like my 2-3 moose steaks with some pepper and on the barB ..

Venison - I like to roast with red wine, rosemary, onion, mushrooms, and garlic ... to make the stew version just add potatoes, carrots, basil(or italian seasoning) and some rutabaga or turnip and water....

I had smokies made at Gourmart in Calgary last year, and they were great.. they also make a great addition to spaghetti sauce.

fish is made depending on the fish... trout is yummy with butter, garlic and dill, ....pickeral or bass usually egg'd, flour batter with spices, and fried - on occasion where flour was forgotten, we have used crushed chips... Pike is usually thrown back, but if necessary, soaked in milk overnight to kill fish taste, and fried like pickeral ... smelts are great smoked or fried when caught fresh.

Davey Crocket
01-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Honestly folks, this is one of the yummiest threads, I've seen in awhile, I just finished eating, and am extremley HUNGRY AGAIN!!! :lol Seriously, I think we can ALL agree... finally ....on one thing..... If its wild... eat it. Eat all of it. Unbutton the jeans, and eat some more, its our Heritage... and damnit.... it tastes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Duffy4
01-03-2007, 07:41 AM
You are right, there should not be any arguments on this thread.

Some years back I had a wild dish that I am not likely to have again. Grouse breast and "pickerel" cheeks, sauted' with onions in a cheese sause.

The last moose I shot, I cut the steaks extra thick. It was a young bull (well a boy moose). I'd walk right past ALBERTA BEEF to get to a med-rare BBQ moose steak like those were.

Robin

BigBullAdventures
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Here you you go sheep hunter. It was great meeting you guys last weekend!
Moose bulgogi recipe:
www.asianinfo.org/asianin...ulgogi.htm (http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/issues/bulgogi.htm)

BigBull

sheep hunter
01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the link Gord....that meal was outstanding!!! Thanks again for the invite and the great moose video. It was an evening I will cherish for a long time.

venison Vegetab
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
1-1/2 To 2 pounds deer ,antelope,elk,or Moose bones,fairly meaty.
2 Stalks celery ,thinly sliced
2 medium carrots,thinly sliced
1 medium oinion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic,minced
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
3 Quarts water
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1-1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked deer,antelope,elk,or moose.
1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatos,undrained
1 pkg (10 Ounces) frozen corn.

heat oven to 400 degrees .Arrange bones in a single layer in large roasting pan or on a baking sheet.bake uncovered until bones are browned, 10 to 20 min.drain,if needed.Set bones aside.

In dutch oven ,cook and stir celery,carrots,onion,and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender add browned bones, water ,bay leaf,salt,and marjoram.Heat to boiling. reduce heat;cover.simmer until meat on bones is very tendar ,1-1/2 to 2 hours remove bones; cool slightly.remove meat from bones :discard bones.Return meat to dutch oven.add remaining ingredients.simmer,uncovered,i hour longer.Discard bay leaf before serving. (Great on a cold winter day.) Sandwhich your choice:D

Cowboy Al
01-07-2007, 08:11 PM
We tried BigBullAventures bulgogi recipe this evening, it is a keeper! Everyone had seconds, it's a good thing I cut up that extra pack of moose steaks. A little rice...a little veggie stir fry.... it was awesome :D

varmitr
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
add package to oil, vingar and water. soak moose portion overnite with glop in plastic bag in fridge or next to ol' lady to keep it cool..
pan fry to sear exterior of roast, put in roaster at 325 for 1 hour, them lower to 275-300F for a few more hours..1 hour per pound or so, longer.. if the skin and hair is still attached.
real good. remove pines cones, metal fragments and all guard hairs before making gravy from crud on the bottom.

jrs
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
So many ways to cook game. I make tons of soup (like Peters recipe there). Boiled 5 deer worth of bones this season. I like to add some stirfry meat as well (after browning it). Other favorites of mine include deer snitzel, deer stroganof, ginger bear (just like the chinese food dish), almond crusted pheasant (or whitefish). mmmmmmmmmm. Sounds good.

klond16
05-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Dry meat brother or jerky if you will

whammy
05-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow, this could be a world record resurrection! :)

unclebuck
05-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Elk tenderloin or backstrap on the barbie(rare)topped with black morels, roasted spuds, a wild rice salad that only my wife dearest makes, and homemade blueberry ice cream to finish.