PDA

View Full Version : How To Hunt Rabbits

Tbar
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
This may sound stupid, but please be patient...I just started hunting this past season.

If I want to hunt rabbit, can I just head out to any crown land and shoot rabbits (respecting all the obvious gun restritrictions and such)? If so, would caliber rifle do people reccomend (I assume my 270 is much too big for rabbit)? Also, does anyone have any tips as to time of year and how to find them?

Thanks

chef
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
get yourself a shotgun 20 guage is the altimate for rabbit or if you have to use a 22 ,,head to the foothills area,s and look under the deadfalls and thick brush ,the alter patches hold rabbits also .once you find an area with alot of tracks ,just walk around slowly looking low and close by like stalking a deer but more difficult.

Delburnedave
01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Hunting rabbits is more difficult than hunting deer???

RyanGSP
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Get yourself a good pointer. They point the rabbits and you shoot them. They also come in handy when upland and migratory opens up.

I hunt rabbits with my 12 gauge #5 shot. It seems to do the trick and not blow them to pieces. I also use a 22 but find its much too small. I am looking into buying a 17HMR for that little extra oomph.

chef
01-03-2007, 08:47 PM
if your hunting in thick bush and trying to find a needle in a haystack .
far more effort and more difficult ,considering there is no treestand involved ,and the size as well as the camouflage of a white rabbit.
you would use the same quiet stalk as you would a deer and need to be more focused on te finer details ,like a black lined ear or an eye in a thick ,small patch of brush ,so yes more difficult and far more work.
i see far more deer than rabbits either on a deer hunt or rabbit hunt.

01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
12gauge....#5? Do you like the taste of lead? 22 will suffice when you can get close to em....you know when you stalk them without a dog....or if you're a good shot

Tucumseh
01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Tbar, there are two methods used for hunting rabbits. Pushin bush and kickin them out of their hiding spots, or chasing them with hounds, also know as beagles (http://www.beaglesunlimited.net/rabbithunting_beaglingbooks.htm). The latter seems to be the more popular method. (at least it is where I come from) Once you have trained your dogs and been out a few times shooting bunnies with them....your hooked!:hat

If you are serious about hunting bunnies on a regular basis, I would consider using a dog or two. I guarantee you'll be much more successfull and find more enjoyment in this method rather than pushing bush.

I ran my dogs after the big game season was closed and hunt them right into Feb. Back in N.S. it is illegal (and unsafe)to run a dog while the deer season is open, I'm not sure how the law reads here in Alberta for I don't own beagles now and seldom hunt rabbits. I would wait until after the big game season was closed regardless....some guys will shoot a dog in the bush, mistaking them to be at large.

Anyrate, to sum it up in a nut shell, the dog does all the work and you do all the shooting. I agree, the 20 gauge pump (and #4 shot) seems to be the weapon of choice with many rabbit hunters. It will take you awhile to get set up and train your dog (and yourself) but once you accomplished this you will not regret it. It becomes addictive, like most hunting.
Read lots of books and ask questions. A few of the guys on this board are active rabbit hunters and well experienced at it. I'm sure they are willing to steer a newbie down the road to successfull rabbit hunting.
G'luck!

Interestin
01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
I also use a 22 but find its much too small. Hummm Interesting i would think a well placed shot with- in range would be more then enough oomph. With a 22 cal.8o 8o

pointer??
01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh my lord! GSP get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He asked how to hunt rabbits, not what dog to use. geees got a h&$# on for that breed or what. Not everyone wants to use a dog, or even wants that advice....just take it down a notch and answer if you have any real advice. Pointer for rabbits....oh too funny.

Guy:What's a good deer gun?
RyanGSP: I have a GSP, it points at everything! Get one!

ps- yes I'm trolling

RyanGSP
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Peter IME most of my shots are either right close to the rabbit or far away. I have found with those far away shots it is hard for me to shoot them in the head while they are moving.

Tuc better be carful about reccomending dogs apparently they hold no place in the rabbit hunting world.

Funny how this troll has to hide behind a non registered name. Boy I hope the mods lock up the board so only registered members can post.

Its not my fault my dog hunts everything I have hunted him on. Personally I enjoy spending time outdoors with my dogs and find alot more rabbits with a dog than without one. Let alone have the dog point to exactly where the rabbit is hiding.

Ok
01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
I have found with those far away shots it is hard for me to shoot them in the head while they are moving.Ok I understand

Funny how this troll has to hide behind a non registered name. Boy I hope the mods lock up the board so only registered members can post. Yah me to

Tucumseh
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Tuc better be carful about reccomending dogs apparently they hold no place in the rabbit hunting world.
Ryan, not quite sure where your going with that one. Beagles have been used for many years as man's companion on rabbit hunts. I'm not going to get in a ****in match here over which dog is better but I hunted rabbits with hounds for at least 25 years of my life and personally wouldn't use anything but a Beagle for that purpose. I never heard tell of using a pointer to hunt rabbits. I'm not saying it's impossible but I don't believe it is very common.

Tbar asked for a little info here and I'm just trying to point him straight. :)

RyanGSP
01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Tuc I was being sarcastic sorry for the confusion.

chef
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
a small example of what tuc is talking about ,me and beagler are going tomorrow actually.
the pup i just bought, so it will not be running yet but the older bitch will ,as well as beaglers 4.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/P1010751.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/tick008.jpg

gsp
01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
GSP the point I was trying to make is that you are on a pointer kick, granted you are loyal to the breed, it's getting OLD! really look at all of your posts...."big cat, is that a dog" I was just waiting for you to say your gsp points cougars too!:lol The guy was asking how to hunt rabbits and pointers is not the recommended way to hunt them. Beagles are! Just get off the pointer high horse and put some relevant info into threads.

ps- sorry for the high-jack but I've had it up to here with this guy.

chef
01-03-2007, 10:31 PM
,,revised(dear david)
why do you even bother with your belittling bull.
thus why i prefer to stay away from this board ,and its worldly a holes that fill it with crap.
the guy wants advice on rabbits and you turn it into a ****ing match about you deer and moose and sheep .
way to go champ.
glad to see your world is of big game trophies only and i hope it makes someone,s hero .
so why turn this thread about you ,sorry i know why ,its not about the adventure or the sport its all about you .
why knock someones advice on something when a new hunter wants advice ,YOU BAFFLE ME .
and as far as my view on trophy hunting you really have no clue.

Delburnedave
01-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Sorry Chef, I shouldn't have questioned your authourity on rabbit hunting like that considering I haven't really been too serious about hunting them since I was 12 years old with a sling shot. Been far too busy the last 22 hunting seasons hunting for deer, moose, sheep, bears, ect. you get the idea. Maybe if rabbits are such elusive and challenging game then Boone and Crockett should create a new category for them, OOPS, sorry again, we already know how you feel about that whole trophy hunting thing.

Delburnedave
01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Chef, you've posted some pretty retarded crap on this board in the past, and you continue to do so. I don't have a problem with that, what I do have a problem with is you coming off as such an authority while you're doing it. Rabbit hunting more difficult than deer hunting? Whatever. For you it probably is. Dink brain??? WOW!!! Never saw that coming. You're awsome.

chef
01-04-2007, 12:51 AM
i give up ,its hard to take this board serious ,especially in the last year.
it seems to have attracted alot of idiots and child like people .
i didn,t pretend to be the best expert on the subject ,but from your mindset i see you have no good input on the subject ,only small insults and spuing of the lips that make no sense ..
i have been hunting rabbits and big game for 35 plus years and have done so with alot of skill and knowledge .
there is a very big difference between big game and small game hunting ,you claim to know so much and if you really did then you would know trying to find a rabbit in thick bush ,or even heavy snow can be more challenging than picking a deer out at 300 yards and sniping him from a hay bail .
im not saying deer hunting is so easy all the time .for a new time hunter it will be harder to learn rabbit movement and whereabouts in the hills compared to a bunch of mulies at the edge of a field ,especially if one has no dogs .
with dogs is a different story and my advice is based on no dog hunting.

please dont respond as im done with this garbage and most of the members on this board .
tis a shame that you as a hunter with so much knowledge as you pretend to have ,he must resort to such foolery to become a bigger man .GROW UP .

brownbomber
01-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Hate to jump into a argument but here goes. Rabbit hunting can be very tricky. Somedays you get lucky and have a stewpot or two full of rabbit meat and sometimes you end up with nothing but snow in your boots and cold fingers. How I hunt rabbits is find a place where there seems to be a lot of tracks and trails and all the other rabbit sign. I use a .22 or even a .410 shotgun. Haven't done this in a bit but usually in my area will find them willow patches in gullies, alongside slews, in areas with lots of deadfall, etc. But anyway would send someone in making a little noise rattling things up (make sure person is wearing BRIGHT colours). The rabbits will come bounding out for you. You have to be quick as they are super fast and smarter than you would expect. Set up your shooting lanes before hand!!!! Make sure everyone knows where they can shoot and where they can't!!!! Make sure all clear is issued and all firearm safety procedures are followed before the "pusher" comes out of the bush!!!! So that is how i hunt rabbits. Yes, it is challenging to some degree. Not sure if it's harder than hunting big game but I will let you guys decide on that. And I hope my strategy is helpful for the guy looking to find out. One last thing is this it's a lot more fun and easy hunting with 2 or more people if you don't have dogs.

RyanGSP
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey Troll you have obviously no idea on the GSP and how they are hunted. Over here they are used on birds but the breed is bred for hunting fur an feather. Over in Germany they are used to hunt rabbits. Try hunting behind one and see how well it works.

Sure they may not be as good as a beagle but they work great.

Tucumseh
01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Ryan, my appoligies for the overview. After reading back I see you were taking a shot at the troll. Seems to be alot of them around here lately.:rolleyes

Chef, don't let some of these @#%$ distubers pull your chain. They want you to respond so they can start it all over again.

Anyrate, good luck to you and Beagler out there today. I'm still waiting to see an ENT doctor and don't want to take any chances on damaging my ear any further. As I was telling Beagler I think this tinnitus flared up the day after (still ringing) we were out rabbit hunting. I noticed some of the gun shots seem to be rather loud and bothered me some.
Lately I did alot of research on this 'T' and see musicians and gun enthusists are the biggest sufferers of it. Many skeet shooters and duck hunters often complain of 'T' after they have been out shooting for long periods of time or had an accidental gun blast go off close to their ears. Some of the tinnitus will go away after time but some of it don't and you will need to be fitted with a masker. Depends on the damage and hearing lost.

Anyrate, you guys play safe out there and it probably wouldn't hurt to stick a pair of plugs in your ears when that hound starts a bunny. Even if they are only loose fitting it'll help....:hat

P.S.
Save a pair for me, I'm down to my last one...lol

Tbar
01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
I love this board! You guys get very intense about hunting.

This info does help...now I just need to find a promisning spot to look for rabbits (I remember those guys who were hunting rabbits in Hawrlak park a few years ago - didn't work out for them). Anyone have ideas on this? I live in Edmonton.

The dog idea does sound like it would be fun, but a dog is not an option at the moment for me.

Delburnedave
01-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey Tuc, I don't think questioning someone who makes a rather bold, and in my opinion, incorrect statement makes me a @#%$ disturber. Take a look at any of Chef's childish responses in this, and any other thread where someone disagrees with him and you'll see who the real @#%$ disturber is. With his reputation (totally brought on by himself), for flying off the handle, at the slightest provocation, with a tirade of incoherent verbal diareha, he should expect to have his chain yanked once in a while.

P.S. If my only intent was to disturb the @#%$ I probably wouldn't be logging in under my own name. Think about it.

Tucumseh
01-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Del,
Was it questioning or taunting?

Anyrate, I'm not going to get into it, I guess it's the mods job to try and keep the peace around here.
As I said earlier, lately this board seems to be full of @#%$ disturbers. (most of them unregistered) I for one am in full support of all participants(not viewers)being registered. Sometimes a little accountability helps. Sometimes??:rolleyes

Just to add, not all of us have the writing skills to express ourselves as others do. I have meet quite a few of the guys from this forum and everyone of them seem to be real decent fellers. Some don't come across as per say, they would on one of these threads. I actually hunt with a few of guys, can't say nothing but great people!

There are a couple topics on these boards that divide our hunting community right down the middle. I personally don't have a problem with the way someone legally hunts, their views or their methods used, etc. Though I personally may not agree with them.... let em have at er. I do enjoy the chat in here and there's a whole wealth of info and topics we share, especially beneficial to the newbies.

Some topics discussed here, I personally am dead against and would hold stead fast. They are that important to me that like many of you, I have done my share to try and change things.

My wife often tells me I have very strong political views.....I agree with her.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers!
Have a good one!

Delburnedave
01-04-2007, 09:22 PM
No worries, the feathers are just fine here.

Rabbits
01-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I would recommend a 410 furda waskly wabbit and a propper hound,like the one in the forefront of this pic. The one in the background looks like it was crossed with the bull terrier and is probably not what any beagler would recommend fur chasin wabbits.

chef
01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
hey dave we seem to have some confusion here .the fact you jumped all over a statement i made .
LOOKING UNDRER THICK BUSHES AND UNDERBRUSH LIKE STALKING DEER BUT MORE DIFFICULT .
WHICH MEANS YOU MOVE QUIETLY AND CREEP ALONG ,BUT THE FACT THE UNDERBRUSH IS HEAVY AND OFTEN OBSTRUCTING YOUR VIEW AND EVEN YOUR ABILITY TO MANEUVER . read the post carefully before opening your mouth.
this is what makes rabbit stalking more difficult than deer stalking plus the fact they spook quickly as well as blend into the most difficult places .i did not say the hunt alone but as a whole ,how easy is it to stalk through noisy tighy brush.
i made this statement and you question me and then start to add sarcasm and bs about my knnwledge as a hunter.
sorry dude but i was hunting when you were in your old mans dirty thoughts,
because i have had problems with other members on other occasions ,you tookthis to your advantage to oppose me and try to cause conflict .
well good on you buddy,but im sorry to say if you check each post , you are the one that looks like an idiot and i stand by the name dick brain.
ps i did put an edit on this post , i took out the word hunting and added stalking ,to be the same as my first post about stalking thick bush .

NS Beagler
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Tuc , we had a slow day today or at least I did lol. The rabbit authority chef shot 5 , I only shot one at dark. It was a good day , most rabbits were shot off the hounds. They are all tired tonight and sleeping soundly. it was a good day to be in the woods.
Better to be running rabbits than running your mouth on the internet.

chef
01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
things were sure hot and heavy today ,the dogs were relentless but me and beagler just couldnt get the slingshots to connect.:rollin (must bring the expert dave next time ):b
finally we put away the slings and got the shotguns out and there were rabbits getting shot.
deep snow and heavy cover really made life miserable for us and the dogs .there were tree,s fallen everywhere from heavy snow as well as knee deep in alot of places.
walked about 15 k in circles all day trying to cut the rabbit off for a shot ,chased the dogs through deep brush and high hills forever ,
very sore back and legs as well as tired as heck .
seen more than 80 deer on the travels and only about 12 rabbits which we shot 6 of .
i stand behind what i said and rabbit hunting is far more work and difficult than deer hunting especially today;)
but what a blast we had.
amen to that beagler .my dogs hooped and the pups freeking on the treat i brought him ,just hunting it down in the back yard relentlessly.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/bluetick006.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/bluetick008.jpg

chef
01-05-2007, 12:48 AM
hey t bar ,bigbore has given info here on previous posts about an area ,its near redwater and by the bridge ,maybe he will pm the info to you so you can get out for a shoot.
heck maybe he will join you ,he,s a hell of a guy and very personable ,with a good understanding of the woods and what you need to look for .

Tucumseh
01-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Hey Beagler, Chef,
Sounds like you guys didn't have too bad a day. At least you's never got skunked. Where abouts did you's go? I'm going out again if I can get this gull darn ear fixed up. It's driving me crazy tonight. The high pitched ringing is hard to handle. Was in bed and had to get back up. The doc appointment can't come soon enough, if he can do anything for me at all.

Chef, I don't think the bunny hunting out here is near as popular as it is back home. You have to have a passion for this sport to truly appreciate it. How old is that pup? How did he act today? Great markings and a fine looking hound! :hat

aulrich
01-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I was in Winnipeg over Christmas and one of my goals was to go on a jackrabbit hunt with my cousin because since I have left in some areas they have boomed. Basically you walk hedge rows and around farmyards if the weather is right (Cold and windy) the bunnies are on the edge of cover you kick them out and snip them in the field if they happen to stop.

We managed two days out one good day and one (warmer and less wind) not so good for hunting I had one son out and there was enough action to be interesting but not so cold that he instantly froze.

Just to let you know how much they boomed when I first started as a kid my best day was 2. and we can say we beat the single farm record especially with just 2 shooters.

http://www.uc3.ca/StackOBunny.jpg

That pile contains 48 all off of one farm with maybe 1 mile of headge surrounding a pig operation. The gun is my new handi in 22 hornet it works well for Jacks , I wanted to try my 17 hmr as well but I only had room for one gun.

Depending on the weather shots are usually 50 yards plus lots of time the rabbits run out 200-250 into a field then stop so 223 and 22-250 are the usual tool of the trade.

aulrich
01-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Actually Chef how do you prepare your rabbits, our first attempt at cooking the was awful they were nasty gamey. I was told to make the front legs like chicken wings but no amount of honey and garlic could cover that strong taste.

This weekend I will try a stew but I will be marinating the rabbit in buttermilk to help pull some of that nastiness out.

I have got to figue out how to cook them I have the equivalent of a deers worth of rabbit meat.

chef
01-05-2007, 01:15 PM
well 270 its always nice to get advice and critisism from the kids on here and never did i say i didnt like trophies .
i dont agree in the manner some are taken or by whom sometimes.
you guys are like a bunch of pack dogs ,when you see one guy getting a shot in you must also attack,its a natural instinct of the weaker breed.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/P1020280.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/bearskull008.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/P1010427.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/P1010425.jpg

chef
01-05-2007, 01:16 PM
tuc.
hope the ears go deaf so to speak as per the noises.
i didnt take the pup yesterday , im trying to get him use to me a bit more as well as my other dogs.
the pup is six months i think im waiting to here back from paul , the guy i bought him from.
i toted a rabbit around the back yard for him to sniff out and he went wild on it so i let him carry it around for a bit, then i removed it from his grip and hung it to make him crazy ,
lots of work to do but he seems to be smart in every other way, now that he,s settling in .
hopefully we can get out again as soon as your ears settle ,
i will drop some rabbit off after the next trip if you like ,next week hopefully.

Rabbits vs. Trophies
01-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Chef,
Thought you were "done with this crap and most of the members on this board". However, your post of 1/4/07 9:40 pm and the subsequent one at 9:51 pm indicate you want to keep this exchange with Delburnedave going.
Looks to me like there is only one "idiot" on this thread and, contrary to your remark, it's not him.
Think I'll go downstairs and admire the big game trophies on my wall and reflect on the great memories they always bring back.

Happy rabbit hunting.

chef
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
aulrich
great bunch of rabbits .
i usually bake my rabbit ,cut into pieces and covered with bacon or salt pork ,i also add some pieces of carrot and diced onion.(salt and pepper)
i roast them slow at 250 covered for 2 hours then uncover for another 2 hours turning occasionally until juice in pan has reduced.
there,s no wild flavour and the meat falls from the bone .

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/drunkenchef/P1010821.jpg

moose, deer and bear mounts
01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Chef,
Some nice mounts there. I assume they're yours. If so, congratulations. I would have expected to see at least a couple of rabbits on the wall, though.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I've hunted here in Alberta for the last 51 years (even shot some rabbits in the early years) and its been a long time since anyone has referred to me as a kid.

Real man.
01-05-2007, 03:04 PM
:rollin "Chef,
Some nice mounts there. I assume they're yours. If so, congratulations. I would have expected to see at least a couple of rabbits on the wall, though.":rollin :rollin Chef trying to show hes a real man wuith them heads

chef
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
thanks there 270 i think.
well i guess i should revoke my kid comment on 270s behalf i guess it wasnt a childish post against me it was that of a bitter old man :lol sorry for the confusion bud .
its usually the kids here that attack in groups ,and as far as the blah blah from the warden ,
trophies on my wall dont make me a man ,they are just bonus pieces of an acomplished hunt that may be important to me .
i have shot many animal that would be considered trophies in anyones book ,though i only make a memories out of ones that are of importance of a certain memory to me .
i do not hunt for a trophy specimen in general ,but am still on the lookout for a trophy loudmouth snook.
thus why i must hunt here ,there seems to be a few here.

Gotta go.
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Well it's been fun, Chef, but I gotta go now. Got work to do.

One last word of advice though, if I may- don't take yourself so serious. You'll live longer that way.

chef
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
thanks for the advice ,
serious is a way of life but tell the truth ,too serious im not.:b
have fun at work, been a blast:smokin

shooter47
01-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Figured I better log in to send this note lest I be accused of being an unregistered sh!! disturber.

Chef, your comments and conduct on this thread are deplorable. I am not a kid. I do not know delburnedave. I have no idea who 270 is. I am a casual turned regular reader of this board. The biggest problem with this board does not lie with the unregistered users. If chef is as cranky in real life as he is on this board he needs to have his issues cleared up - otherwise he just needs to clear up his issues with posting on this board. Grow up chef.

chef
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
shooter are you serious ,???
for one my comments other than calling a spade a spade on this thread .
i have tried to answer questions of a couple people on here with nothing but respect and have been very patient with most others.\
when a dog gets bitten it bites back my friend , i have been attacked from the beginning and daves comment and crap was uncalled for and i called him a dick as that is exactly how he acted .
cranky i am not until lame crap is thrown at me ,liike your doing now and i never said a word about unregistered nor do i care at this point.
the thread was about info on rabbits and since i have a passion and knowledge of the subject i offer advice .
i see guys offer advice on sheep hunting ,but i dont see attacks or flaming upon them .
so shooter you can have your opinion but ,better know what your talking about before you flame.
WOW ,, seems as usual the crap keeps coming and the plot thickens once again as soon as the chef hits the keyboard and the world turns.... NEXT !!!!

Re: Gotta go.
01-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes chef, I am serious. You posted some helpful advice for a fellow asking about rabbits. You also included that hunting rabbits was like hunting deer, ONLY HARDER. Now when I first read that I thought that either you are hunting rabbits the wrong way or I am hunting deer the wrong way. Delburnedave called you on it, as any one with experience would. If what you wrote was not exactly what you meant you could have explained further, instead you chose to respond with TRASH.

How many more people will need to tell you that your conduct on this board stinks before you will believe it?

chef
01-05-2007, 06:10 PM
scooter you are crazy and need lessons in reading as well ,,, go to the first page and read slow and carefull ,
i agree when i respond sometimes it may seem harsh ,but its after being attacked ,do you get it .
i dont see what you see obviously, i see what i wrote exactly as i thought it,and if you can get your eyes open you will read where i went into detail to explain myself so the dummies could understand it, but still they come out of the wood work.
there is a diference between the hunt and the stalk ,am i gonna have to explain it again .READ CAREFULLY AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND .STALK IN HEAVY BRUSH ,,I STATE TOUGHER THAN DEER ,I SAID STALK it means persue quietly hunting is another word that may mean the same thing to some but it has many forms and if you have done both ,i cant see why you question me nor do i see what you mean about dave calling me on it .
dave read wrong and made a remark he should have kept to himself as you should have also.

01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
chef I am quite good at reading comprehension so no need to repeat anything on my behalf as I understood it the first time. No need to try and belittle me to get your point across.

I have plenty of experience hunting rabbits and none of it with a dog. I stalk them with a 22 and shoot them in the head. I can easily empathize with delburnedave for thinking your statement is laughable. As to keeping it to himself I think that it would be very germane to the discussion on how to hunt rabbits to question an erroneous statement as to difficulty.

I can see you are sticking with your opinion and you are being true to your form for trash talk.

CBR hunter
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Aulrich,

I was terribly afraid of cooking a hare that I shot earlier in the season bc I had no idea how it would taste. But after cooking it I can't get enough of it. One excellent tip that I got from someone on the board was to sprinkle a bit of seasoning salt on the meat before you cook it, I've now also done it on duck and a grouse as well. The seasoning salt worked amazing to take away a lot of the gamey taste. Here is a wicked recipe to try:

Lightly sprinkle seasoning salt on both sides of the game
In a frying pan pour enough xtr virg olive oil to cover bottom
Add rabbit strips, chunks, etc and cook on med/low for a few mins
Add enough white wine to cover half of meat
Add cornstarch until sauce is gravy like texture
Simmer, covered for 10-15mins or so
Add baby tomatoes, crushed garlic clove, onions, peppers, etc and reduce heat to low and simmer another 5-10 mins
until meat is cooked.

Enjoy!!

This was by far the best supper I have ever tasted! Let me know how it turns out for you if you try it.

chef
01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
shooter! you are belittling yourself when you post this crap and you do not have knowledge of comprehension .you still have no clue what you are saying ,
you have no stories or example like dave also , to back your arguement against one comment i made .
if you can tell me the difference why you feel im wrong then i started a new topic.
because i feel i have good enough knowledge and experience to make the comment i did .
you on the otherhand only can tell me im an idiot for saying so .
this thread was for a new guy wanting to hunt rabbits and its turned into a who,s who of the hunting world .
consider what i wrote to the new guys response and where i told him to go ,
get out of your prairie world where the rabbits sit under your porch at night.

01-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Sorry chef, I didn't realize this was for one-upmanship. You are grasping at straws with your prairie comment. Neither I nor dave brought up location. You did. I am with you on the area you are talking about. Personally I cannot think of a single instance where I broke a sweat hunting for a rabbit in the foothills.

To hunt rabbit. Stalk in a likely area where there is rabbit sign. Slow and quiet with eyes peeled. Move to within 30 yards of rabbit. Shoot them in the head with 22. Repeat. Go home relaxed and satisfied with your harvest. It is not hard work. It is not particularly challenging - rabbits do not spook easily. Approaching within 30 yards is not much of a problem. The most difficult part of hunting rabbits is finding an area with a huntable population and spotting them with their white camoflage. I must confess I do not view hunting rabbit with the same passion as I do other big game and bird game activities. It simply does not hold the challenge the others do. When my kids were little and needed to progress from shooting at cans to shooting of game we went rabbit hunting. They thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. When proficient at it they were able to progress to stalking ruffed grouse and shooting them in the head. They then became good enough to stalk deer to within shooting distance in the bush. I never did take any "whack em and stack em" pictures with the kids so I have none to post. That was a part of the hunting experience I felt the kids did not need to experience. You will have to take my word for it.

By the way, if I had to recommend a gun purchase on the premise a person was to take up rabbit hunting in the foothills a good 20 ga. 22 cal. combi gun would be just the ticket.

01-05-2007, 07:29 PM
One other thing chef. Because you like to call names, make up stuff about others and run them down to support your points does not mean that every one else does. Nowhere did I call you an idiot. That is a fabrication on your part, perhaps to make yourself feel better about they trash talk you engage in? Really chef, why did you make that up?

Brady
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, I think the effectiveness of this thread is all but gone. I don't really know why some seem to think that resorting to name calling and cutting another hunter down in the process is good ettiquette.
This thread is closed.

ZippyCrow
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM
hi everyone i am new to hunting i read through this thread and the first question asked can i just go out any crown land and hunt rabbits
i plan on hunting with my bow and am just wondering if i need any kind of lisences or permits to hunt rabbits any information is greatly apperciated
thanks again

diesel fixer
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
If you can get away with it i know the best spot for rabbits. They are literally thick. The neighborhood by the university farm in edm. lol dont get caught though. My old ladies parents would sure like you then cause they drive the dogs wild...

Tuc
01-20-2008, 08:13 PM
No, permits, license required.

kranky
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I just joined today. Rabbit hunting sure seems to stir the emotions in you folks. I wounder what I've been missing all these years? lol.

BUD
01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
First off , ya gotta go to the army and navy store and buy an Elmer Fudd hat.
Then ya pick up a flashlite, and a box of 22 shorts , dont fergit yer gun.
Then ya head out in the dark of nite or early mornin , this is the time they run around, and shine yer flashlite around , they stand out like a candle in yer flashlite beam , mount it on yer gun with duck tape.
They always stand still fer ya usein this method .
Airport runways seem to hold the most , or in the vicinity.

NS Beagler
01-20-2008, 09:36 PM
This is the best and most fun way I have found.

Versatile
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Yup I agree with NS Beagler Dogs are still the funnest.

Bud I sure hope you are telling this guy to go shoot rabbits in the dark as this isnt exactly legal.

moosehunter3-0
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
porkies and rabbits are apparently the hot topics on albertaoutdoorsmen
got this one with me RWS 34 in a .22 a little while ago..
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/moosehunter30/IMG_0203.jpg

Alberta Bigbore
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
good stuff man, hope he was tasty. better in the field than glued to X-box.:D

buckmaster
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
good to see young guys like you have a good day in the outdoors!!!!

shekaree
01-21-2008, 12:25 AM
good stuff man, hope he was tasty. better in the field than glued to X-box.:D

X2

this young hunter shot a moose too last fall....

springfisher
01-21-2008, 08:49 AM
i as well am looking for some rabbit action, can anyone gives some leads as to where a good place around Edmonton( with in 1 to 1.5 hours drive)Is crown land ok to hunt rabbits on this time of year?

Salvelinus
01-21-2008, 09:01 AM
No, permits, license required.

I thought you needed a wildlife certificate???

M70
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Atta boy, Moosehunter3!

wolfen1960
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
It amazes me how some "seemingly" simple questions elicit such strong responses from some people.
At the same time, I'm surprised that the right bullet for Rabbit was not brought up. In my younger days I shot Rabbits with whatever gun I was using at the time, 22, 12 gauge, 30-30... They all worked! But that was 20 years ago, and we all know that Deer now take a Magnum with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, so I figure Rabbits deserve at least a .308 with a Partition (at least 150gr) or maybe a 300 Mag. for those 450 yard shots when you just can't get close enough. This is usually just after they rut and they want time to be alone. The good thing about hunting Rabits during the rut, when you can get close, is that it happens about every 4 hours or so.
WHATEVER you do though!!! Do NOT, under any circumstances shoot a Rabbit with a Crossbow during archery only season. I think that there is a law against that. If not, I'm sure that there soon will be.
Don't get too upset with this post, it was in fun (for those who don't know better).
Ps. I still shoot Rabbits with whatever gun I have in hand. I've never been under gunned.

M70
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
When is someone going to post a pic of the elusive jackalope??! Maybe I'll finally get drawn this year.:lol:

gonefishin
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
i as well am looking for some rabbit action, can anyone gives some leads as to where a good place around Edmonton( with in 1 to 1.5 hours drive)Is crown land ok to hunt rabbits on this time of year?

You can go up North of Westlock in around the Teen Time Camp (Long Island Lake area). There's crown land there and lots of bunnies. I managed to get 7 this past weekend (and 1 porcupine, but I won't go there).

Okotokian
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
OK, so back to the advice part... As the name implies I'm in the Calgary area, and am thinking the foothills to the west, nearer Kananaskis, are the best bet for bunnies (I also have permission around Longview in some semi forested areas on the Highwood). Agree?

As to mode, I will be hunting alone, and think I have two choices.... slowly stalking with my 3-9 scoped .22 WMR CZ bolt action, spot one and shoot (sounds low percentage finding one), or use my dog, a Brittany, to flush them (He will flush them, not point LOL) and use my 12 ga. semi-auto on them as they run. No way I could hit a running rabbit with a bullet. Which you think will get me more rabbits? If the latter, what size shot?

Having never hunted rabbits, I'm happy for any advice I get, but no, I'm not going to buy a new gun or new dog ;) :lol: Location advice PARTICULARLY appreciated. :)

OH, and I'm wondering whether the restrictions on Sunday hunting or only 3 shells in a shotgun apply for rabbit hunting, as those regulations are listed under the particular regulations for Game Bird hunting, not under the general regs. So for rabbits (or coyotes I guess), you wouldn't have to follow them?

gonefishin
01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Okotokian- I don't have a dog and have never hunted them with a shot gun, sorry I can't help you there. I usually use a .22 and it works great if you can get a shot while they're not moving which isn't always the case. The majority of bunnies I see, is when they are running away, so a shotgun would probably be a little more effective. As for size and shot????? Also, I find hunting them around sun rise- set is the best times as rabbits are mostly nocturnal. You will see some during the day, but they're usually few and far between.

Tuc
01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Way to go Moose!!!
That bunny will make you a great rabbitt stew...

Walleyes
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Good job moose,, some nice shootin keep at er..

Dark Wing
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the picture Moose3-0. That picture brings back a lot of old memories. The rabbit population in my neck of the woods was booming when I was your age and my only problem was finding another box of .22's.

Versatile
01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Oko when I am huning rabbits wit my dog I use 5 or 6 shot.

Okotokian
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey Oko when I am huning rabbits wit my dog I use 5 or 6 shot.

Thanks man. I have lots of 6 laying around. What choke? Mod?

Figure I might pack some much heavier lead as well incase I run into a cougar. I've never actually seen one in my life, but out in those woods I call my dog "bait".