PDA

View Full Version : Line twist

Renslipevol
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I was looking over google to see what to do about this line twist I have with the new spool of not cheap line. I found this article, and thought I could learn something. I did, but I felt like the author wanted you to feel real bad about getting line twist. Like you don't take care of your stuff....I hate jerks that write articles like that. You think he would be happy to spread some knowledge.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/tips/linetwist.htm

I have no idea how it got line twist: I was filling the reel properly (at least I thought I did) and it still got all twisted. It even interfered with my fishing time, as horrid as it sounds. I am just going to try and unravel it next time Im at the river

sheephunter
05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Line twist on a spinning reel usually results from reeling against the drag or reeling the line on the spool without tension on it or a lure spinning in the water without the use of a swivel.

Mudslide
05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I agree with Sheephunter. Although, there is another reason for line twist. Putting new line on incorrectly will cause severe line twist as well. Usually you place the spool stationary on the floor, (label up) and reel the line onto your reel (through the guides of your rod) while applying tension. Do NOT put a pencil in the hole, that is for level wind reels. If you stop reeling and drop the tip you can tell if the line is twisting because, well, it twists up. Flip the spool over and the twisting usually goes away.

You have the right idea for getting rid of the twist. If your line is twisted: simply take the lure off and let the current take your line all the way out and then reel it up while applying tension to the line by squeezing it between your fingers.
Hope that helps

fatrack
05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
I don't know about that advice. I have always used the pencil or screw driver method and the only problem I ever had was this- One time I didn't put enough tension on the line as it went on the reel and when I got a big fish on the line buried into the spool and the fish snapped off. I think if you set the spool sideways on the ground every time a rotation of line comes off the spool you will introduce a twist. Do you think they put the line on the spool the same way you are saying you take it off?

As mentioned above a common mistake with spinning reels is to reel when drag is coming out (with a fish on). This will introduce a twist with each rotation of the handle.

Mudslide
05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
This is taken from the Berkley Pro Corner, Tips section.
SPOOLING A SPINNING REEL By Scott Suggs
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/view_tips.phtml?id=2189

"Close the bail so that the reel is engaged and ready to begin winding line onto the spool. If you have a friend available, have them hold the spool with the front side facing you, making sure that they keep plenty of tension on the line. If you are along when doing this, try running the line through the pages of a phone book to keep the line tight.

I prefer that the line come off the spool counter-clockwise. The reason for this is because when you cast a spinning reel like my Abu Garcia Cardinal 804, the line comes off clockwise. By having the line come off the line spool counter-clockwise, it helps tame some of the line twist. Keeping tension on the line, I begin to wind the reel handle and fill the reel spool. Keep an eye on the reel spool to make sure that the line is filling the spool evenly and fill the spool within 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch from the edge. Too much or too little line will affect the reel’s performance. Once the reel is spooled, cut the line from the remaining line in the package and tie on your favorite lure."

fatrack
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Well, I won't argue with a guy that works for Berkley!