PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new walleye rod

Russ C
05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Looking for suggestions on a good sensitive walleye rod one piece. What would you suggest or are currently using that gives you the best feel.

Thanks for your input
Russ C

gpguy7
05-14-2009, 09:42 PM
fenwick has the walleye classic rod, i think about 90 bucks most places. they also have a few other one piece models. gloomis make some awesome walleye rods if you want to spend from 200+ with a lifetime guarantee on the rod. they're one piece as well

Rigg dogg
05-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I have Quantum Pro Tour 7' one piece spinning rod. Real nice rod.

Have a couple Fenwick Classics that gpguy mentioned in both spinning and casting models. Mine are 2 piece though, nice rods as well. Seem like pretty good rods for the money.

riderpride55
05-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I use a gloomis 6ft 1pc. with a baitcaster reel. I tie a jig right to 12 lb (I think thats whats on there) fire line no strech. you can feel the eye's before they touch the hook

Waxy
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
If you're set on one piece, which is a good thing I think, you'll pretty much be looking at a minimum $100 rod.

I like the Shimano Compre rods as the best bang for the buck in that range, they're high quality IM8 graphite one piece rods in all kinds of lengths, weights, and actions. They also have a lifetime over the counter warranty, which is hard to beat in that price range. If you have the cash, the Crucials are a nice step up. If you're really swimming in cash, check out some of the high end St. Croix and G. Loomis stuff.

Waxy

P.S. I hate to advertise for BassPro, but their price on the Compres is unbeatable at $99-109. That's $40-50 cheaper than I found them anywhere else.

bsnyder
05-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Looking for suggestions on a good sensitive walleye rod one piece. What would you suggest or are currently using that gives you the best feel.

Thanks for your input
Russ C

We have found that Quantim PTs are the best for the money ($ 190. )ish, a few of the pro,s like ST Croix but they are real pricey:wave:

-JR-
05-17-2009, 06:14 AM
St Croix the Thumper is a good Walleye rod ,its very stiff for jigging and good for casting for walleye and pike.They run about $80.

wake
05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Of all the rods I own for whatever reason the uglystick 6' 6'' medium action seems to be the ''goto'' rod for me...Good walleye rod.

jrcw
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I used to guide for walleye and St.Croix was the go-to rod for a lot of the lodge's staff. Not to say there aren't other great brands. St.Croix has several models in various price ranges (Avid, Premiere etc.) from around $90 to $300. Their rods are very sensitive and have a lifetime warranty. I see them as a reasonably priced equivalent to an overpriced G.Loomis.

dfrobert
05-18-2009, 05:10 PM
My Fenwick HMX spinning rod in medium action continues to impress me. It is a 2 piece though.

dfrobert
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Correction...make that the HMG. the model higher than the HMG i believe.

bardfromedson
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
x2 fenwick walleye classic. light/med action with fireline on a good reel. great feel and pretty good backbone for a light action rod. landed 2 pike over 15lbs that hit my walleye live bait rig at slave (6lb leader). you can feel your bottom bouncer or jig hit pebbles in 30 feet of water.

bobalong
05-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I like the Shimano crucial and the Quantum superlight PT. I just picked up one of the new Rapala R-type rods this spring, feels really nice, and if it will quit snowing I will be trying it out shortly.