PDA

View Full Version : Spring fishing Wabamun - jackfish

mslobodan
05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I am heading out this weekend to wabamun and was wondering if anyone has any good spots to go for big jackfish. would appreciate any hints.
thanks.

seahawkfisher
05-15-2009, 06:42 AM
my guess would be anywhere it's shallow and there aren't any cabins (read: still has reeds and weeds in the area)
good luck

fish-man
05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I am heading out this weekend to wabamun and was wondering if anyone has any good spots to go for big jackfish. would appreciate any hints.
thanks.

The big ones like the outlet from the power plants in the winter. Depending on the water temperature they might still be there or they might have gone deeper, but there will sure be fish of some size swimming around where the outflow enters the lake.

eternal fisherman
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I've been fishing that spot for years now, and the fishing has never been better than it was last year. I consistently pulled 5+ pounders of shore, with a couple in the 10 to 15lb range. Run heavy line. I watched a guy running ten pound line with his drag set, and every time he hooked a fish, he broke his line. The fishing pressure is a lot lower now since the oil spill, and the catch and release only policy is great. I would expect 6 to 8 lb averages on pike this year. Heading out for the first time of the season on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.:)

-JR-
05-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Fished the lake on a boat on saturday and only caught 12 pike .
Largest was a 5 pounder at the most. I seemed to be slow for most fishermwn also .

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/May152009024.jpg

eternal fisherman
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
was out at wabby today...pretty windy but still managed to catch 8 fish in three hours. All were around the 5 lb mark.

fish-man
05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
In the winter it's awesome, pulled several fish over 10 lbs on most of my visits. Sorry to hear the big ones aren't biting as much now. I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend I think.