PDA

View Full Version : Banff

fish-man
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm heading to Banff for the long weekend, mostly to hike and hang out, but I might get a chance to do some fishing. Anyone know of any good lakes or rivers to try? I have spin fishing gear and no boat.

Oh and anyone know if the lakers in Minnewanka (or whatever that big lake is called) are catchable from shore?

JDC
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
lake Minnewanka was still frozen when I drove by on Tues. It looked like it would be a couple of weeks before the ice would come off

uglyelk
05-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Minnewanka was still covered in ice at 3pm today. A few cracks, tiny open areas at the dam and stewart creek. Does not look encouraging.

uglyelk
05-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Ice went out Saturday afternoon. No docks or tour boats in the water yet, but you can now launch a boat and fish!

jrcw
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I used to guide on Minnewanka and even though it's early in the season and the lakers will be in shallow, I can't see you having much luck from shore. You're not allowed to fish off the docks either. You can however rent boats by the hour. Jig white banana weights with trebles or skirted white tube jigs off the bottom. Whitefish can be taken on red wire worms. The fishing can be tough on Minnewanka. You might want to consider going for trout in the nearby Two Jack or Johnson Lakes (both off the Minnewanka Loop road). There you can fish from shore.

fish-man
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys. I saw that Minnewanka was ice-free. I tried Johnson lake but I didn't catch anything.