PDA

View Full Version : sinking fly line tip!!!!

brook trout
05-15-2009, 06:06 PM
the end of my floating fly line sinks!!!!! does anybody know why this is happening? i once clipped about 3mm of it of is that the problem? does that let water come in? if so how can i seal it? does fly line dressing make it not sink? please give me some answers and help i cant afford to buy another fly line. thanks.

fishman
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
the end of my floating fly line sinks!!!!! does anybody know why this is happening? i once clipped about 3mm of it of is that the problem? does that let water come in? if so how can i seal it? does fly line dressing make it not sink? please give me some answers and help i cant afford to buy another fly line. thanks.

Is the line cracked?......if so it will absorb water and sink......just clip a few feet off or until the fly line looks good........or if it is dirty the dirt will weight the line down and sink, if so get a good line cleaner

Doc
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Brook Trout, there are certain things you can get away with when you are new to fly fishing. You can cheap out on the rod, reel, waders, wading boots and even use cheap store bought flies. But the one thing you want to spend money on is your fly line. It is the single most important tool a fly angler can have and you will notice the difference in casting immediately. Try not to spend less than $45.00 ($55.00 - $100.00 will buy you some great line). Look for Rio, Cortland or Scientific Angler to be safe. A floating line is the most versatile as you can get down to 20ft with a floating line by adding a long leader and weighting the leader and/or fly. You can use a strike indicator to keep your presentation static, hanging your fly directly below you indicator. You can count down after your cast to get your fly to it's desired depth and vary your retrieve to keep it at a deeper depth or speed it up and bring it up through the water column. And of course you can use a dry line for it's original intention; casting dry flies on the surface. On a side note: on most of the expensive lines, the tip will eventually sink a bit (although I actually prefer this as it's easier to detect strikes when fishing below the surface). Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

winged1
05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
you may or may not have a double taper. spool out your line and take a look at the other end. If it has the same diameter on both ends, it's likely double taper so you could reverse it and use up the other end.

fluxcore
05-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I doubt line has to do with much eg. Im fishing courtland 444 silk and my buddy is currently fishing some wallmart 15$ superfly floating crap that I must say casts very well, at least on the streams we fish with waders and he's outfished me on several ocations already this year pulling out some bigger browns and bullys and if you check some of my recent posts (pics) im doing prety well.

Doc
05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I doubt line has to do with much eg. Im fishing courtland 444 silk and my buddy is currently fishing some wallmart 15$ superfly floating crap that I must say casts very well, at least on the streams we fish with waders and he's outfished me on several ocations already this year pulling out some bigger browns and bullys and if you check some of my recent posts (pics) im doing prety well.

Doubt it if you'd like, I could care less but it's solid advise. I've used more lines over the years than I care to admit and if I had to choose between casting a $100 rod and some Rio Gold or my Sage RPL and a $15.00 walmart fly line, I'd pick the cheap rod and the expensive line any day. I'm sure most experienced fly guys would agree. You can have the best rod in world but if your fly line is crap, your not getting out of your rod what you paid for.

Cheers,
Doc

winged1
05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Most of my money goes into gas, and I break rods in the hatch or tossing some on them, so I go cheap, but I do like a good reel.

fishman
05-16-2009, 12:31 AM
I am not taking sides and what ever works for you but i do agree with Doc a good line saves a guy alot of headaches.....i have tried just about every brand of dry and wet fly line and nothing worse then cleaning cheap line constantly so it won't crack and sink on you or when you cast you can't get the line to starighten out.........but on the other hand if somebody is ok with what they fish with and they can not afford anymore at least they are getting out to fish and that is the most important part of the equation

Doc i have a question for you what brand of wet line do you use, as i am yet to find a brand that has no memory and i hate tangles when you r trying to cast...i have found that the brands have changed over the past few years and i use to use nothing but wet cell and then i tried cortland and it would tangle like crazy so i went to wetcell 3 and i am not that impressed with it....i have used a hardy line that i loved but i cannot find it any where

fluxcore
05-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Doubt it if you'd like, I could care less but it's solid advise. I've used more lines over the years than I care to admit and if I had to choose between casting a $100 rod and some Rio Gold or my Sage RPL and a $15.00 walmart fly line, I'd pick the cheap rod and the expensive line any day. I'm sure most experienced fly guys would agree. You can have the best rod in world but if your fly line is crap, your not getting out of your rod what you paid for.

Cheers,
Doc

What I ment is I enjoy my COURTLAND alot, but he ****es me off when he out fishis me. Im fishing a lower end sage rod and I know enough to fish the best line I can comfortably afford. Line is important!! Im betting next season his floating line will become sinking line, sh!# he better not still catch more

Doc
05-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Doc i have a question for you what brand of wet line do you use, as i am yet to find a brand that has no memory and i hate tangles when you r trying to cast...i have found that the brands have changed over the past few years and i use to use nothing but wet cell and then i tried cortland and it would tangle like crazy so i went to wetcell 3 and i am not that impressed with it....i have used a hardy line that i loved but i cannot find it any where

I've recently switched over all my reels to Rio (except my tradition full sink). Regardless of what sinking line you buy, tangles can happen it's just a question of how often and so far I'm very happy with these new lines. There is a trick you can use to help though. If you're fishing from a boat try a small plastic basket you can buy at the dollar store, place some water in the bottom of it and strip into it. The water will help to keep your line from tangling. If you're using a deep stripping basket on a pontoon you can do the same thing. If you're using a shallow stripping basket, you'll just have to make do. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc