PDA

View Full Version : Ice shack in trouble at Ste Anne...

curtis_rak
12-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Posted this in the ice report section, but it's getting its own thread....

If anyone here owns or knows who owns the white shack with the blue stripe near Val Quentin at Lac Ste Anne.... it's half in the water and it needs to be moved a couple dozen feet or it's going to be on the bottom of the lake soon.

These shacks all radiate heat and when it's warm like this they melt the ice. I'd go and move it myself tomorrow if I had time but I can't unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter4ever12
12-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Good on you Curtis,hopefully the owner sees this or someone in the area can do a good deed.

Bigwoodsman
12-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Good notice to the Shack owner.

Just another reason that owner contact information should be mandatory on all shacks.

BW

SNAPFisher
12-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Yep, good deed for this thread Curtis, thanks. I hope someone knows the person or they see this.

muzzy
12-18-2017, 01:02 PM
hows yours holding up Curtis

nube
12-18-2017, 03:54 PM
It should be a legal requirement to have all personal info on those shacks. Too many issues every year over them and the mess some people leave.

curtis_rak
12-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Mine is fine. I've had to move it around every few days just to avoid the ice melt. Thankfully now it's cold again and everything should be back to normal.

I wouldn't be opposed to even paying a few bucks for a "shack permit" and posting my phone number and permit number on it. At least that might put the onus back on some people (definitely only a special few) that leave a big mess behind or don't maintain their shacks. I know some northern US states have permits and some just make it mandatory to post owner info. Either is better than a free-for-all probably.

bezzola
12-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Nobody claims the shack ill come and get it lol.

cschache
12-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Just a small sign with a valid phone number would work or what other information would need to be on it?

curtis_rak
12-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Phone number is really all anyone needs.

58thecat
12-19-2017, 08:55 AM

chriscosta
12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Does anyone have an update ...is that shack still sinking theres a good person coming down with his side by side to pull it out for the people today i just wanna confirm its still sinking

Bassett
12-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Shack is moved to shore

curtis_rak
12-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Awesome. Glad it's been rescued

Hunter4ever12
12-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Good news!!!

JareS
12-20-2017, 08:46 PM
I’m surprised its not mandatory here.

In Saskatchewan you need your name, address and phone number for this exact reason.

Last year one of the CO’s went around posting notices on shacks that didn’t have contact info that they’d be removed in X amount of days

In the spring abandoned shacks are all pulled off and burned on the shore

1bluZebec
12-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Should be that way here or it gets hauled off and sold at an auction or somthing

archercurt
12-26-2017, 08:25 AM
Should be that way here or it gets hauled off and sold at an auction or somthing

Who do we presume will haul all of the shacks off when people don't comply? And do we really think that majority of peoples scabby shacks will bring enough money at auction to cover costs? I know there are slot of nice ones that will bring money but there are also a lot more that aren't worth a penny.

curtis_rak
12-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Personally, if I see a shack at the end of the season in my local lake I will haul it to shore and leave it there. Based on some of the conversations I've had with locals at Ste Anne, I think most would do the same. There's no way that F&W could be relied on to take care of all of the derelict ice shacks in Alberta.

I feel like I'm too invested in my local lake to see it get trashed. It's a pain in the azz but realistically this isn't a very common occurrence.