PDA

View Full Version : Best burbot lake South/Central AB

sneekerp
12-18-2017, 05:04 PM
My kids and I are looking to do some winter camping on the ice and are hoping to get into some burbot. We camped out at Travers this past weekend and had a great time but unfortunately no burbs. What I'm wondering is if anyone has a suggestion on where they've found decent numbers of burbot in southern or central AB. Any suggestions would be great. PM if you prefer.

Thanks,
Sneekerp

Flieguy
12-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Used to be pine coulee was excellent but that 10 fish limit really killed it with the amount of anglers there.

lots of lakes have burbs but not consistent enough to keep kids interested

Dewey Cox
12-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Now that all the cool kids are after burbot, they don’t seem as plentiful as they used to be (or as big)

calgarygringo
12-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Cvr

Wes_G
12-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Now that all the cool kids are after burbot, they don’t seem as plentiful as they used to be (or as big)

Go figure......

Spooner
12-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Burbot are sensitive to over harvest.

Something to keep in mind.

NSR Fisher
12-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Lac Sante has some good Burbot. Buffalo Lake has some Burbs as well. IDK about overnight camping but I'm sure if you can find a Burbot at either of those centeral Alberta lakes. I've also heard Chip Lake is decent for Burbot but probably later in the season closer to spawn.

grouse_hunter
12-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Lac Sante has some good Burbot. Buffalo Lake has some Burbs as well. IDK about overnight camping but I'm sure if you can find a Burbot at either of those centeral Alberta lakes. I've also heard Chip Lake is decent for Burbot but probably later in the season closer to spawn.

I've never caught a burbot at Chip. It's hard to imagine that there are numerous species of fish in four feet of red water!
Are the burbs caught around the same location as the pike?
Outside of the Lobstick river area the lake seems dead or perhaps I haven't found that hidden burbot honey hole yet...

NSR Fisher
12-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Chip is actually quite a popular lake to ice fish. There is a secret burbot spot but I don't know where it is. I'm sure if you did a thread search you could find a post here about it.