PDA

View Full Version : mysterious sinking tip solved!!

brook trout
05-16-2009, 08:55 PM
i fixed my sinking tip:D! a good cleaning and a dab of floatant allowed it to hardened. fixed it right up.yessssssss!:D:D:D:D:):):)

Hannie
05-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Thank you for the day to day diary of your life.

Can I find you on twitter?

mauserman
05-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Good for you Brooktrout, keep posting.
Those who remember how it was when they were learning will help you from time to time.
Those who know everything already can simply skip your posts.
This has been said many times before, but there are no stupid questions.
Dig in, learn what you can,it doesn't matter if you are 10 or 40, some forget that they had to learn at one time.
Many, if not most tend to take their newfound knowledge as their own, forgeting that someone else had already done the groundwork for them. They are now "experts" and so feel they do not have to bother with people learning their way up. Typical of fly fishing "snobs" they are only concerned with themselves. Ignore them they are small people. Remember to help another learner when you are proficient. Look at Barry Mitchell and his dad who has helped thousands of Alberta anglers enjoy a good weekend. That's something to aspire to.
I've been fly fishing since 1967, if you have questions you can PM me. I'll help you if I can.

baitfisher83
05-17-2009, 11:09 AM
i'm glad to see not all fly fishermen are snobs, that type seems to be all i've been running into lately, the ones that think you're not worth their time if you're new to it. Or they look down their nose at your if you a baitchucker..lol...i wanna get back into fly fishing but i need to get some money together first to get a good rod, since the wal mart specials i bought keep snapping in half....

mauserman
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
You can get decent to very good equipment from Temple Fork (Springbrook)out of Calgary
Okuma reels are great for the price ,about 1/4 to 1/3 of the high end jobs. Temple fork rods are as good as any of the big names and have an excellent LOCAL warrenty. They don't advertise a lot and so keep the inflation out of their product. Don,t cheap out on your line, a Cortland 444 will do anything you ask of it.
Incidentaly, almost all of today's rods are far superior to what was available in the 70,s or 80,s . Orvis, Loomis , Sage;you name it.
You can get a good set up for about $300.00
Baits OK , A "REAL" purist fisherman is one who likes to fish, anyway he can. (with respects to our fragile east slopes region, but in a put and take stocked pond , why not?)

robert
05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Yep, i just bought a TFO finesse 4 pc 5 wt and I love it.

And if $300 is still too much, then the fishing hole sells complete 2 pc martin sets for around the $120 mark that are great for starting out. Used one for the first 2 years here in alberta, gave it a beating and it never broke on me.

As for posting - if nobody posted, then it wouldn't be much of a forum. I run 2 of my own forums, NFR of course but any/all postings are good to read. We all had to learn somewhere, nobody was born with a flyrod in their hands. What some consider trivial may mean the world to someone else.

brook trout
05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
thanks for the replies but what is twitter?

baitfisher83
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
hopefully i'll get my hands on some cash soon, may not be able to pick up a rod until near the end of july the way my funds have been lately...also need to find more fishing buddies cause my dad isn't the most reliable one..lol

Ken07AOVette
05-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I am heading over to visit an old guy that has been fly fishing since 1967, that is going to teach me the fine art of casting a little tiny hook with deer hair and feathers glued to it. I am actually looking forward to it, but hope it is not exciting when we hit the water, as I already have way too many obsessions.

Imagine it- fly fishing since 1967! I was BORN in 1967!!! I hope he doesn't slip on the grass and break his hip.

Can you put water wings on a wheel chair? :D

Twitter is a website where you can place threads with no more than 140 characters per reply. It's the newest web fad.

mauserman
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't think one can get water wings,however you can pack me around on your back. Please pack a lunch.
The only problem I can foresee is when you wade into a creek, once your hips are in the water level will rise about a foot and the fish will think it,s a spring flood.

catnthehat
05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
i fixed my sinking tip:D! a good cleaning and a dab of floatant allowed it to hardened. fixed it right up.yessssssss!:D:D:D:D:):):)

Myself, I would've just used it for my big pike flies that I chuck into the Athabasca!:lol:
Good to see you fixed the problem though, it's always fun to solve a situation...
Cat

robert
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I am heading over to visit an old guy that has been fly fishing since 1967, that is going to teach me the fine art of casting a little tiny hook with deer hair and feathers glued to it. I am actually looking forward to it, but hope it is not exciting when we hit the water, as I already have way too many obsessions.

Imagine it- fly fishing since 1967! I was BORN in 1967!!! I hope he doesn't slip on the grass and break his hip.

My uncle taught me to fly fish and he's been doing it for 50 odd years now. I used to love to sit on the river bank and watch the master at work, watch the reactions as he lays into a salmon and play it in - and i thnk I learned more from watching him than anything.

I had a 20 year hiatus from flyfishing but rediscovered it a few years ago - now i'm fanatical about it. It's amazing how much one forgets but it's an addictive activity for sure :lol:

Ken07AOVette
05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I had my first ever lesson today from the OLD pro. I gotta say, learning from him or someone like Ron is the only way to go, patient, knows everything, watches you and corrects your mistakes early. I had a blast, and am looking forward to heading out to the quiet water sometime to snag some of these tricky little buggers.
All I can say is, after watching Ron snap that line out 85' without a fly on it, I was impressed. Being of the lame fishing technique my entire life, I was wondering how the heck he was going to get anything out without a lead weight on it....:lol:

mauserman
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Ahh, grasshopper; now that you have mastered your first lesson you must prepare for the next level of your training.Here is what you must do.
First you must learn to think "through" the loop and zen the perfect turnover.
In order to do this you must give up all your worldly posessions. Luckily I have room in my garage. Please label them in order of value and stack them neatly.
Next you must spend "Seven Years in Tibet" and upon your return you will seek out the place that "A River Runs Through It" Call me when you get back, if it's busy , leave a message.
Also make sure you sign the registration for your Corvette.

hal53
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Ahh, grasshopper; now that you have mastered your first lesson you must prepare for the next level of your training.Here is what you must do.
First you must learn to think "through" the loop and zen the perfect turnover.
In order to do this you must give up all your worldly posessions. Luckily I have room in my garage. Please label them in order of value and stack them neatly.
Next you must spend "Seven Years in Tibet" and upon your return you will seek out the place that "A River Runs Through It" Call me when you get back, if it's busy , leave a message.
Also make sure you sign the registration for your Corvette.
:lol::lol: Got another one...hahaha...better than tying into a 20 inch plus Brown on a Number 20 fly...it is addictive...and many other adjectives

Ken07AOVette
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Since you are always in a semi conscious self induced zen-state it would be contrary of me to laden your chi- space with junk like this, instead I will have the big garage sale and relieve you of the burden of transferrance of wealth and worldly possessions.

How about a bottle of rum and some more practise this week, then off to some Alberta lake? Maybe that one I was supposed to be at tomorrow?

mauserman
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Ken,perhaps but you know that the only time I drink rum is when I am by myself or with somebody else.

catnthehat
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Can you put water wings on a wheel chair? :D

1967??!! OLD GUY??!!:confused:
Crap, you young whippersnappers ain't been around
if you can't remember fly fishing in the 60's - come to think of it , there are times I can't remember fishing then, either!:lol::lol:
Honestly though, there are times when I look back at my fishing and hunting, and remember when I started , 1964 or somehere around then, and it is a great feeling.
I have a few friends older than myself that were fly fishing then, but not many.
The funny thing is, every now and then I'll read an article about the "new way" to catch pike and walleye ( fly fishing) but Ted Trueblood, Left Kreh, Tiny Bennet, (to name a few) were doing it then, and many before them!
Just think Ken, it won't be long before you yourself are talking to some young kid , saying stuff like
" I can remember when I started fly fishing in '09 - unlock my chair for me there, will ya Sonny?"
Cat